Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a similar thing when playing World of Guns and the AK-47 is a nice easy model while the sturmgewehr is a nightmare.

Oh God yes. The basic field stripping is similar to an AR-15, but then you get into the guts and you realize that they just sort of crammed the trigger pack and all the other moving parts into a very narrow receiver with everything hanging on its own individual spacer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is said game worth it?

I am still hoping the model painting one does toy soldiers at the moment it is focused on vehicles.

Its a fun game if you like painting tanks. You use a rust remover to paint the rust off the tank. Then you use a sandblaster to sand the tank, which is not too dissimilar to just painting the tank silver. Then you paint the tank with red primer, then you paint the tank. If you are up for it, you can then send the painted tank into the paint booth and apply camo or other paint markings. Paint!

Its quite relaxing tbh, not too many bugs and once you get used to the controls easy to move around in.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A recent Behind the Bastards was about Basil Zaharoff, who I suppose most notoriously was an arms dealer in the build-up-to and during WW1. He was a pretty lovely person, but I couldn't shake that this was a case where the times made the person, not that the person made the times. Was he a particularly special brand of monster?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xthetenth posted:

The first, awkward forms of things frequently aren't what it eventually settles down on, and it's a good point that overly reductive categorizations of a genre can end up excluding important early forms.

I'm personally of the opinion that the only one of those that isn't a tank at all is the land cruiser, by my cunning metric of whether it can effectively be suppressed by infantry small arms while lending close fire support. Something doesn't have to be the most platonic tank to still be a tank.

I guess I'd come down on it having to be primarily focused on force projection versus transportation, so the Merkava is a Tank that happens to be able to carry a couple of guys but the Bradley which (despite best efforts, as seen in the shot-in-real-time documentary The Pentagon Papers) carries passengers as a primary role is not. I guess there's also an organizational aspect to it: how does the military employing them parcel them out (e.g.: One per infantry squad? Probably not a tank.)

:shrug:

E: I similar to how I think of the HIND as a gunship that happens to have a couple of passenger seats versus a HIP which is a transport that happens to have a couple of guns?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A recent Behind the Bastards was about Basil Zaharoff, who I suppose most notoriously was an arms dealer in the build-up-to and during WW1. He was a pretty lovely person, but I couldn't shake that this was a case where the times made the person, not that the person made the times. Was he a particularly special brand of monster?

He wasn't a particularly nice man. He profited on war and misery, he bribed governments, he sabotaged his rivals, he sold shoddy products, and there's no evidence he was motivated by anything g other than personal wealth.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I'd come down on it having to be primarily focused on force projection versus transportation, so the Merkava is a Tank that happens to be able to carry a couple of guys but the Bradley which (despite best efforts, as seen in the shot-in-real-time documentary The Pentagon Papers) carries passengers as a primary role is not. I guess there's also an organizational aspect to it: how does the military employing them parcel them out (e.g.: One per infantry squad? Probably not a tank.)
I actually wrote that chart, so I can give you perspective on why the Merk is where it is: The Merkava cannot carry troops in an operational context and was never supposed to. However, it has been demonstrably designed with counterinsurgency/punitive civilian murder in mind from the start, which is a traditional role of the cavalryman, not the tank. Therefore, Doctrine Radical.

On the other one X is right, the first Purist/Purist tank is the Renault FT-17 for a good reason. The Mk.IV and Whippet are weird as gently caress.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FrangibleCover posted:

a traditional role of the cavalryman, not the tank.
cav are tanks, esp cuirassiers.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Epicurius posted:

He wasn't a particularly nice man. He profited on war and misery, he bribed governments, he sabotaged his rivals, he sold shoddy products, and there's no evidence he was motivated by anything g other than personal wealth.

But enough about Elon Musk

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

cav are tanks, esp cuirassiers.

A horse is a tank.

:mad:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

similar to how I think of the HIND as a gunship that happens to have a couple of passenger seats versus a HIP which is a transport that happens to have a couple of guns?

That is entirely correct. The Mi-24 is a gunship that was sometimes used to deploy strategic reconnaissance troops or give some troops a lift between bases, the Mi-8 is a transport helicopter that can be fitted with lots of weapons for gunship or infantry assault roles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Schadenboner posted:

A horse is a tank.

:mad:

Only cataphracts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a tank.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Only cataphracts.
cuirassiers!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i found some good guns. I mean, honestly, can anyone REALLY do with just one barrel? The more the better I say!

Eight barrels is a good start, but i feel like it's it's still missing something. . . spikes maybe?

Hmm. . . not sure I'm feeling it. OH now I see what was missing. It just needed more barrels!

NOW WE'RE TALKING!

According to the image caption these two volley guns are from the sixteenth and seventh century. Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger blasting one of those from over his shoulder Commando style, with big poofy breeches and no shirt

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Squalid posted:

Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger blasting one of those from over his shoulder Commando style, with big poofy breeches and no shirt

don’t stop i’m almost there

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You joke but there is a Russian fantasy trilogy set in the era where the man played the Pirate bad guy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Squalid posted:

i found some good guns. I mean, honestly, can anyone REALLY do with just one barrel? The more the better I say!

Eight barrels is a good start, but i feel like it's it's still missing something. . . spikes maybe?

Hmm. . . not sure I'm feeling it. OH now I see what was missing. It just needed more barrels!

NOW WE'RE TALKING!

According to the image caption these two volley guns are from the sixteenth and seventh century. Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger blasting one of those from over his shoulder Commando style, with big poofy breeches and no shirt

So is there like a Kickstarter to make this happen or...?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

So is there like a Kickstarter to make this happen or...?
you can buy or make an organ gun now. my reenacting brigade has one

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

HEY GUNS posted:

organ gun

:dong: :dong: :dong:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Skanky Burns posted:

Its a fun game if you like painting tanks. You use a rust remover to paint the rust off the tank. Then you use a sandblaster to sand the tank, which is not too dissimilar to just painting the tank silver. Then you paint the tank with red primer, then you paint the tank. If you are up for it, you can then send the painted tank into the paint booth and apply camo or other paint markings. Paint!

That's how you do it for real:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schadenboner posted:

as seen in the shot-in-real-time documentary The Pentagon Papers)

Pedant:

Pentagon Wars.

The Pentagon Papers was the public release of the secret study of the war in Vietnam that proved that the US knew it was doomed to fail but kept sending in money and people anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Skanky Burns posted:

Its quite relaxing tbh, not too many bugs and once you get used to the controls easy to move around in.

Yeah, the actual gameplay boils down to holding left click at various parts in succession until they've got the right colour, but it still hits that sort of zen mood where it's quite satisfying to gradually get everything just right. Plus it's a fun way to get a feeling for just how cramped the insides of these things could be.

Also to echo that review earlier now that I've gotten to that point as well: gently caress the Tiger. Oh, you want to get at one particular suspension or torsion bar? Have fun removing these sixteen thousand roadwheels first! :haw:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I had a summer job as a kid repainting an M3 half track for a museum, which was a total nightmare because it required taking it apart about halfway and removing a ton of stuff. I wish I had some pictures from that project, it was so cool and is still on display with a functional .50 on top somewhere.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Faustpatrone on the Eastern Front

Queue: [Puppchen, Panzerschreck, and other anti-tank rocket launchers], Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto, Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman, M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army, T-54, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, T-44 production, Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades, T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building

Available for request:

:ussr:
IS-6
AT-1
Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg

:911:
Medium Tank T25
GMC M36
Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3 NEW

:godwin:
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf)

:finland:
Lahti L-39

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pryor on Fire posted:

it was so cool and is still on display with a functional .50 on top somewhere.

hmmm, you might want to locate that. :hmmyes:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Fly Molo posted:

hmmm, you might want to locate that. :hmmyes:

Why? It's not hard to license machine guns, there are shitloads of them floating around Colorado on and off vehicles.

It was in Colorado Springs, but I think it got sold somewhere else and Google is not returning anything.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 29, 2020

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Here is a hunt for those so inclined.

Someone on a slack server is looking for a book. That book seems to be rather hard to find as his library of congress search turned up nothing.

Here is his request.

quote:

I've gone to the library of congress, requested through the national archives but nobody is sure where I can find this except maybe the pentagon library and that's not exactly feasible at the moment.
Bureau of Ordinance OP2309
"Sidewinder Guided Missile Mark 2 Mods 0,1,2, and 3 And Test Equipment Description, Operation, and Handling"
Nov 1, 1958

If anyone finds anything PM me and I will pass it along.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Seems like the kind of thing DTIC would have. You need a CAC to register. I don't have one, but I'm sure somebody around here does.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not today ISIS.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Squalid posted:

if you read taliban and houthi press releases like i do, you get used to literally any military vehicle being called a tank. Although even in their case, they'd only call a hillux a tank if it had been up-armored.

What is the typical level of up-armouring on a (up-armoured) technical?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Weka posted:

What is the typical level of up-armouring on a (up-armoured) technical?

well in places like yemen its not uncommon to see the Saudis using vehicles like this:

I guess they are probably a bit more. . . Official? Intentionally designed? Than technicals, but they look rather similar to ME. And tbf to the the radical Islamist press agencies, usually they mean something like these things, i don't even know what you'd call this class of military vehicle:

I guess its an armored personnel vehicle? I don't know

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

are mraps considered apcs?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Squalid posted:

Looks like an armoured car?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

They were designed to replace the Humvee in the armored car role with way more IED resistance but they are so loving big you can land small planes on them so technically they are aircraft carriers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

well in places like yemen its not uncommon to see the Saudis using vehicles like this:

I guess they are probably a bit more. . . Official? Intentionally designed? Than technicals, but they look rather similar to ME. And tbf to the the radical Islamist press agencies, usually they mean something like these things, i don't even know what you'd call this class of military vehicle:

they're called MRAPs...mine resistant ambush protected vehicles.

they were built in MASSIVE numbers to soak up IEDs and small arms fire as a part of GWOT adventures

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saudi Arabia seems to field such a weird eclectic mix of poo poo. It comes in all shapes and sizes. Most be a logistics hell

What even is this thing? It's obviously much lighter than American MRAPs, I guess its about on the level of a heavy humvee type vehicle.

And yet half the time Saudi you see a video of Saudis patrolling their border getting ambushed they are just in regular white suvs or pickups.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I think that is a knocked out MRAP that was rebuilt with a really bad suspension and weird rear end body kit?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Looks like an alternate tesla truck concept

Saudi Arabia is a country that has way more money than sense, I think they buy military equipment from literally everywhere.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
How did the usage of rifle musket differ in the American Revolutionary compare to the Napoleonic wars? I know the British and the Prussians had entire units that used rifles which doesn't seem to line up with any anything the ARW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Looks like an alternate tesla truck concept

Saudi Arabia is a country that has way more money than sense, I think they buy military equipment from literally everywhere.

In comparison, the irish military has had a vehicle budget of 150$ a year. /s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQrQCgMLRA

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 1, 2020