Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
see I drive slow and stupid no matter who is or isn't in the car with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don’t go more than 5 over with the dog in the car. Can’t imagine what a slowpoke dad I’ll be once my wife and I start having kids.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I don’t go more than 5 over with the dog in the car. Can’t imagine what a slowpoke dad I’ll be once my wife and I start having kids.

Yeah I am super grandma with pup in the car. Especially since he fell out one time when I had to brake suddenly.

Kids? gently caress it, they're strapped into a carseat, let 'er rip!*

*Disclaimer: I have no kids

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you bring pooch along in the car, look at the options from Sleepypod. They're pretty much the only brand to pass any kind of actual crash testing (though I haven't checked on this in like 9 months, this may have changed).

I've wanted to try their harness on my cat (who loving loves going on adventures but hates being in a carrier) but haven't been able to confirm it's safe for cats. But if I had a doggy? No questions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mostly just transport the dog to a local park to go walking there and we've actually just bought a house in the adjacent neighborhood so that should be less of a problem in the future.

Might get one for the cat though since the last fabric carrier we had was just a big chew toy the last time he had to travel. Ended up chewing himself an escape hole. Fun to deal with on the highway.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I had to post this somewhere, because I had an encounter last night at the airport that left me utterly livid.

I agreed to pick my friend up last night, way past my bedtime. I was tired, and was hoping to be in and out. I pull in to the airport to go to the pickup area, and there's a red SUV stopped in the road, also a red zone, as it approaches the pickup area. I stopped behind him, because there's one lane here, and I wasn't sure what was going on. Turns out, the fucker was PARKED. In the road. In a red zone. I go around him, and my friend isn't out front, so I have to make another loop around the airport. I come back around, and he's still there. Riding a motorcycle has left way far less patient with lovely drivers, so I roll down my window and lay into him. He tells me he's waiting to pick someone up, and I said "No poo poo you rear end in a top hat. We all are. You're parked in the loving road you moron." Then, I swear to god this happened, the rear end in a top hat reaches over and shows me one of those veterans hats that says "Iraq Veteran". I told him that I don't give a poo poo about his service or his loving hat. I could see on his face that he had no idea how to handle that response, and he finally moved.

The fact that he would try and pull that crap left me infuriated. Every prick that expects special treatment for being a veteran was some desk jockey who acts like they stormed the beaches of Normandy.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 2, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Duck_King posted:

I had to post this somewhere, because I had an encounter last night at the airport that left me utterly livid.

I agreed to pick my friend up last night, way past my bedtime. I was tired, and was hoping to be in and out. I pull in to the airport to go to the pickup area, and there's a red SUV stopped in the road, also a red zone, as it approaches the pickup area. I stopped behind him, because there's one lane here, and I wasn't sure what was going on. Turns out, the fucker was PARKED. In the road. In a red zone. I go around him, and my friend isn't out front, so I have to make another loop around the airport. I come back around, and he's still there. Riding a motorcycle has left way far less patient with lovely drivers, so I roll down my window and lay into him. He tells me he's waiting to pick someone up, and I said "No poo poo you rear end in a top hat. We all are. You're parked in the loving road you moron." Then, I swear to god this happened, the rear end in a top hat reaches over and shows me one of those veterans hats that says "Iraq Veteran". I told him that I don't give a poo poo about his service or his loving hat. I could see on his face that he had no idea how to handle that response, and he finally moved.

The fact that he would try and pull that crap left me infuriated. Every prick that expects special treatment for being a veteran was some desk jockey who acts like they stormed the beaches of Normandy.

Oh word?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My airport (LAS) is county run so they can just write those dudes legit tickets courtesy of the county.

But you'd have to be committed to ignoring all the whistles, hood smacks, and free 15 minute, $2 short term parking pull off.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, there were plenty of places this guy could have parked, but apparently parking in the road was the smartest option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At O'Hare you will have at least three meter maids converging on your position the instant your tires stop rolling. If your vehicle is stopped for more than 0.5 seconds and you aren't visibly loading/unloading luggage the limit of their generosity is to yell at you for about five seconds before the tickets start getting printed.

Ain't no one parking there.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

xzzy posted:

At O'Hare you will have at least three meter maids converging on your position the instant your tires stop rolling. If your vehicle is stopped for more than 0.5 seconds and you aren't visibly loading/unloading luggage the limit of their generosity is to yell at you for about five seconds before the tickets start getting printed.

Ain't no one parking there.

I once received this kind of attention from a security guard at Charleston, SC airport while waiting for my wife. Charleston isn't exactly busy and it was late, so I felt it was kind of an overreaction on his part.

When I say kind of an overreaction I mean I was the only loving car at the terminal. But oh no I had to get back in the car and drive around twice until she was physically present. I called the bad man names and thanked him for being a dick.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
These are the unmaintained armored truck death machines you share the road with

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/garda-world/armored-trucks/

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

My airport (LAS) is county run so they can just write those dudes legit tickets courtesy of the county.

But you'd have to be committed to ignoring all the whistles, hood smacks, and free 15 minute, $2 short term parking pull off.

The 15 minute freebie thing has been gone for a while, hasn't it? I used to do that when picking people up but now I just go around the loop once or twice.

Though driving through that airport is always an absolute nightmare.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zamujasa posted:

The 15 minute freebie thing has been gone for a while, hasn't it? I used to do that when picking people up but now I just go around the loop once or twice.

Though driving through that airport is always an absolute nightmare.

Oh I'm not sure but i thought it was there a few months ago.

Drop off and pickup for most airlines can be done at Terminal 3 with less hassle. The only time you HAVE to use Terminal 1 is if you fly Spirit or Allegiant and some Southwest flights, or you checked bags on a carrier that drops off there.

Otherwise you can pickup and drop off through Terminal 3, which had better flow and less traffic; as a passenger, it's also better if your flight departs from the D Gates, which most do, because the tram is newer and shorter.

I only use terminal 1 if I have to take someone to the sky buses.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

waffle iron posted:

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/garda-world/armored-trucks/

Well, poo poo. I got a clean record and am right down the street from their warehouse. What's the worst that could happen?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

waffle iron posted:

Good read. Knew a guy who rode those things until his new driver flipped the truck on a highway.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

madeintaipei posted:

Well, poo poo. I got a clean record and am right down the street from their warehouse. What's the worst that could happen?

You'll never get hired; they'll know right off you've got better employment options, and it'll look kinda suspicious if you apply.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you a cop???

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wasabi the J posted:

And you have an LVMPD substation in both terminals 1 and 3!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

waffle iron posted:

Thanks, that was a good read. Liked the crate for a seat and the locks that don't work. You would think that would be important when transporting money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tampa Bay Times always has good reads and an even better mobile experience.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That site owns. Garda evidently does not own, unless your definition of "own" is "put everyone nearby in immediate danger."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh I'm not sure but i thought it was there a few months ago.

Drop off and pickup for most airlines can be done at Terminal 3 with less hassle. The only time you HAVE to use Terminal 1 is if you fly Spirit or Allegiant and some Southwest flights, or you checked bags on a carrier that drops off there.

Otherwise you can pickup and drop off through Terminal 3, which had better flow and less traffic; as a passenger, it's also better if your flight departs from the D Gates, which most do, because the tram is newer and shorter.

I only use terminal 1 if I have to take someone to the sky buses.
I think I see what happened:

The signs used to have "0-15: $0" at the top, which was replaced with the asterisk saying "(*15 minute grace period ...)". Welp.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Of course the one time I capture an "instant justice" moment on my dashcam the video file is corrupt...

Basically I was on a highway, this guy was on the on-ramp, I backed off the car in front of me to give him room to merge. Nope, he decided to gun it and cut off the car in front of me.

Needless to say the state trooper in the left lane was not very happy.

In other news, if I have a 300MB .MOV file that won't be played by VLC or Windows... any tips?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Protocol7 posted:

In other news, if I have a 300MB .MOV file that won't be played by VLC or Windows... any tips?
If VLC won't play it that's generally a pretty bad sign, it's good at making sense out of fairly hosed up files, but if you have a place you can host the file maybe someone is bored and feels like digging in to it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It turned out to just be my lovely SD card reader's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_2e6HsnfqE

Not much of a highway actually but the guy was still dumb.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 4, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzDmjG3bpI

I'm really glad I keep an eye on the left lane too, otherwise I might have had to just ram the stupid fucker.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Protocol7 posted:

is quicktime still a thing you can download? that used .mov i think

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The first foggy day here for a while and there are so many people driving around with no lights. I tried to signal the first few people I saw but nobody cared. I'm glad to have learned about the always-illuminated-dashboard reasoning because even a terrible excuse is better than ten percent of nearby drivers being that unaware.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

taqueso posted:

is quicktime still a thing you can download? that used .mov i think

An awful lot of kit pushes mpeg4 video in a .mov container, so one would just have to rip out the audio/video track and remux it into a mp4/m4v/mkv video file

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzDmjG3bpI

I'm really glad I keep an eye on the left lane too, otherwise I might have had to just ram the stupid fucker.

I don't understand how he could have been looking ahead and done that, it's like he timed it to crash into a car

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Someone I went to high school with made a generic post today about having a blowout on the interstate and making the best of a bad situation,

Enhance:

Gee, no wonder you had a blowout.

I'm pretty sure she drives for Lyft, so I might make a report later today.

No one should be driving on a tire like that, let alone working for fares.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ladies and gents, the Gig Economy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because every cab company in history has run well maintained and totally safe vehicles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Because every cab company in history has run well maintained and totally safe vehicles.

:rolleyes:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

xzzy posted:

The cab company I worked for 10 years ago skimped on tires during the summer, but they at least still had tread. They also splurged and bought new tires for the entire fleet at the start of every winter. A cab that's not moving due to bad tread on ice is not making the company any money.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Well, now the cabbies all work for Uber and Lyft where there's basically 0% oversight on vehicle safety, so that's still pretty bad.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xergm posted:

Someone I went to high school with made a generic post today about having a blowout on the interstate and making the best of a bad situation,

Enhance:

is that a jeep patriot covered entirely in bedliner

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

is that a jeep patriot covered entirely in bedliner
I would never get in that Lyft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can say I've never had a Lyft smell like the driver had a full diaper. I cannot say this of prior taxi services I have patronized.