Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the 3 largest countries supporting star citizen (US, UK, Germany) are about to have the greatest economic downturn probably ever in loving recorded history but I'm sure those "pledges" will just keep rolling in as normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

but those guys already have everything

are they really buying more of the same ships they already own in record numbers in a time of serious world financial uncertainty? I mean, I guess its possible but highly unlikely

here's the funding over the last few years...the numbers!
Jan 2013: $266,125
Feb 2013: $802,494
Mar 2013: $180,073
Total Q1 2013: $1,248,692

Jan 2014: $2,099,081
Feb 2014: $1,741,103
Mar 2014: $1,586,076
Total Q1 2014: $5,426,260

Jan 2015: $3,270,829
Feb 2015: $2,399,668
Mar 2015: $3,183,965
Total Q1 2015: $8,854,462

Jan 2016: $2,643,754
Feb 2016: $2,139,933
Mar 2016: $2,010,472
Total Q1 2016: $6,794,159

Jan 2017: $1,753,012
Feb 2017: $1,966,022
Mar 2017: $1,310,900
Total Q1 2017: $5,029,934

Jan 2018: $2,188,144
Feb 2018: $1,745,333
Mar 2018: $1,977,863
Total Q1 2018: $5,911,340

Jan 2019: $2,847,892
Feb 2019: $2,631,890
Mar 2019: $3,053,761
Total Q1 2019: $8,533,543

Jan 2020: $5,213,093
Feb 2020: $4,612,640
Mar 2020: $3,277,437 (so far)
Total Q1 2020: $13,103,170 !!!!

As you can see, the last few months have almost doubled CIG's revenue from the same time period last year according to their tracker. Jan 2020 is an 83% jump in funding, Feb 2020 is a 75% jump in funding and March 2020 is looking like it will be at least a 60% or higher jump in funding.

Everyone sitting around doing nothing but JPGs now makes sense, but what about the last two months can really explain the huge loving jump in purchases?

Fidelity

marumaru
May 20, 2013

strong shilling at the same time as they released a 5-year-old highly anticipated (for some reason) ship that had been in the Citizen mind for months prior

marumaru
May 20, 2013

also apparently the carrack is a 128-year-old design that looks brand new in game and exactly matches the technological level/presentation of everything else
bravo roberts

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Expect a letter from the chairman as soon as tomorrow

same guy right about pvp penalties

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I still think the funding tracker is BS, a sudden drop in sales might spook the whales into stop buying JPEGs, causing a feedback loop. So I feel like they'd at least fudge the numbers a bit. Maybe it automatically adds an base dollar amount to keep the total from being zero, then adds any actual sales...

BUT it could reflect real sales. I know we can all agree spending big money on any game is unwise right now, with the economic problems on the horizon. But the average SC whale already lives in a fantasy world. I'd imagine they wouldn't stop pledging until it gets really bad. (And for fools like Mr Fifteen-Computer-Fans Johnson, not even then)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Well I guess I'll just stay home and celebrate by seeing nobody at all and being alone! Just like every normal day these days! :3

/Rub

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Like at this point, releasing nothing for 3 months besides the carrack that already had a ton of presales, they are doing the best ever and will take in almost double their revenue from last year

this doesn't seem shady at all

It's citizens buying heavily into medical ships so that they can support their org mates if they get Corona virus.

Need to get them now, before the supplies of those ships run out, I would expect the outbreak to affect the supply of the pixels that go into the spaceships.

God forbid that Chris Roberts may not having the choice to make that pixel Green anymore. (Explains the sale on green pixel ships the other day)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

I feel like the guys making the animations for guns in Star Citizen have never poo poo
Harsh but probably true

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol

https://clips.twitch.tv/RenownedCarefulWoodcockDBstyle

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
piss Robert's indeed

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

It's citizens buying heavily into medical ships so that they can support their org mates if they get Corona virus.

Need to get them now, before the supplies of those ships run out, I would expect the outbreak to affect the supply of the pixels that go into the spaceships.

God forbid that Chris Roberts may not having the choice to make that pixel Green anymore. (Explains the sale on green pixel ships the other day)

Is missing pixels in spaceships the reason some parts of the ship interior are treated as the vacuum of space? Gotta plug those leaks.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

the 3 largest countries supporting star citizen (US, UK, Germany) are about to have the greatest economic downturn probably ever in loving recorded history but I'm sure those "pledges" will just keep rolling in as normal

That will be a major red flag regarding the tracker if so.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

"Blah blah blah, great year, great progress, appreciate your support, coronavirus, impact devleopment, great things coming, pledge more."

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

TheAgent posted:

piss Robert's indeed

Star Citizer fans, urine for a suprise

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Honestly I give them two weeks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

biglads posted:

Star Citizer fans, ursine for a suprise

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Funding tracker explained! The sub Q&A is full of new players, returning veterans, you name it...

quote:

New player just joined yesterday. I LOVE the visuals of this game but my ship (Aurora MR?) movement seems quite unrealistic. Inputs are instant on, instant off. No inertia or ramp on thrusters. Feels like I'm 'placing' my ship in creative mode rather than flying it. Even in atmosphere it feels ephemeral, like I can just park it in the sky at any angle. Is there an adjustment I can make to inertia? I want to feel like I'm flying a big hunkin' ship!

quote:

There's tons of inertia in this game, there's even an inertia reticle to show you where you're drifting if you change direction. It's much less noticable on small ships like the Aurora unless you're going fast, more noticable (or more of a mechanic to deal with) on large ships. Don't forget these are all hyper advanced fantasy ships with dozens of gimballed thrusters and the ability to jump across solar systems in minutes..while maintaining artificial gravity. It's not too far fetched they can hover at any angle. That being said, this is an alpha and probably hardly representative of the finished product.
But to answer your question, no there isn't. I would suggest subscribing to the monthly ship program and trying out this months ship (the Argo Mole) as it's been for me the most drifty boaty hunk of space metal I've ever flown

quote:

Hello, How many players can one server hold?

quote:

This will grow exponentially when/if the server meshing technology needed is created/implemented.

quote:

Can I get the real answer?

quote:

Same for me. I haven't played SC for years. Played way back when I first had my Connie but that was it. Followed the development along a bit but that's all.
I recently got a new PC, absolute beast of a unit. Yet still this game feels like my character is running through treacle all the time. Nothing is smooth, half the AI are standing on tables or chairs instead of sitting, this hardly any content in game. Flying around is fun if not a bit janky.
I really don't understand the SC evangelists, I don't get how people can be so wowed by the game after all this time. At the risk of sounding like an old echo, they need to stop working on ships and start working on the core game.
[EDIT]: The downvotes without discourse just drives home my point. Thanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My favourite explanation for why the flying feels like garbage is because the game is supposedly so advanced they've solved aerodynamics and modeled thousands of tiny thrusters keeping your ship held in perfect balance anywhere. Definitely not because they haven't figured out how to simulate flying in any real way.

Even if you believed CIG had a full fidelity flight model but it was being covered up by advanced tech that made flying feel like your ship was being held up by string why would you want that? Flight simulators are fun because you have to deal with aerodynamics or in outer space inertia.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

goons are raiding the sub to spread fud again

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dr Kosumo's pro Covid 19 tip of the day - To avoid getting the virus set your PvP slider to low

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beexoffel posted:

Markets hit hard by Corona from S&P500 through to silver, but not Star Citizen funding.

Around a million per week...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i do not love this gif at all
i really dislike it, actually

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Funding tracker explained! The sub Q&A is full of new players, returning veterans, you name it...
[/quote][/quote]
[/quote]

"I would suggest subscribing to the monthly ship program and trying out this months ship"

Of course they would suggest someone subscribe to keep giving CIG money just to see whether there is any inertia in game.

The one about getting the real answer cracked me up.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I still think the funding tracker is BS

It’s still amazing how this thread underestimates the spending habits of the sunk cost fallacy gang since YEARS. We mock the Cult for the denial while many Goons are still in denial as well when it’s about doubting the funding.

I am reading many German forums and threads and you find so many gamer dads with disposable income and that logic:
“Star Citizen will be the BDSSE and I bought 2-4 full price games every month for my consoles/PC and I had so many IAP for my mobile games as well and steam sales with games I did not even install before SC!
NOW I am spending that 2000-5000 Euro/Dollar every year to keep the dream alive and collect my ships !”

Just add the event and anniversary sales etc and you still don’t believe there are several thousands of delusional idiots that are still pumping THOUSANDS of Euro/Dollar into this?
Every loving year! As long as they need to. They won’t stop. Every new fake trailer restores their faith. These guys are proud to support the most open game development ever with their macro transactions.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

My favourite explanation for why the flying feels like garbage is because the game is supposedly so advanced they've solved aerodynamics and modeled thousands of tiny thrusters keeping your ship held in perfect balance anywhere. Definitely not because they haven't figured out how to simulate flying in any real way.

Even if you believed CIG had a full fidelity flight model but it was being covered up by advanced tech that made flying feel like your ship was being held up by string why would you want that? Flight simulators are fun because you have to deal with aerodynamics or in outer space inertia.

I love how, even if the thousands of tiny thrusters was true- then why to the "main" engines in the back have to be larger than all the other ones? Since you seem to be able to fly no clip at max speed in any direction even in atmosphere

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Popete posted:

Do you mean the flight model is so good that it feels bad?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s still amazing how this thread underestimates the spending habits of the sunk cost fallacy gang since YEARS. We mock the Cult for the denial while many Goons are still in denial as well when it’s about doubting the funding.

I am reading many German forums and threads and you find so many gamer dads with disposable income and that logic:
“Star Citizen will be the BDSSE and I bought 2-4 full price games every month for my consoles/PC and I had so many IAP for my mobile games as well and steam sales with games I did not even install before SC!
NOW I am spending that 2000-5000 Euro/Dollar every year to keep the dream alive and collect my ships !”

Just add the event and anniversary sales etc and you still don’t believe there are several thousands of delusional idiots that are still pumping THOUSANDS of Euro/Dollar into this?
Every loving year! As long as they need to. They won’t stop. Every new fake trailer restores their faith. These guys are proud to support the most open game development ever with their macro transactions.

I’m sure CIG is still taking in a lot of money, and you’re right there’s a whole German side of the cult that us English speakers don’t see as much of. But, the longer this goes on I just can’t believe the funding tracker. After 8 years of lies and incompetence and the sentiment in the community at rock bottom, Q1 2020 is going to be their best quarter yet?

Yeah, there’s the idiots and their “Gibening” but the Carrack has been on sale on and off for years and it’s a very old dream at this point. Also the funding tracker is just shady as hell. There’s obviously some sort of smoothing of the numbers going on, as literally there isn’t an hour that goes by in which someone isn’t buying a picture of a spaceship for an 8 year old pre-alpha. And this is CIG we’re talking about, they’ll lie about anything and everything.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Pixelate posted:

There's another one of those lovely 'Don't tell my wife' / 'She spends the same on shoes anyway' threads on the sub...

I'm a wife's dream come true. She can have whatever she wants. I bring in money and she's really stupid and I still have pocket change left after buying ships.

*wild economic downturn occurs

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Space Ships $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me convince my wife she is a bitch

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

colonelwest posted:

I’m sure CIG is still taking in a lot of money, and you’re right there’s a whole German side of the cult that us English speakers don’t see as much of. But, the longer this goes on I just can’t believe the funding tracker. After 8 years of lies and incompetence and the sentiment in the community at rock bottom, Q1 2020 is going to be their best quarter yet?

Yeah, there’s the idiots and their “Gibening” but the Carrack has been on sale on and off for years and it’s a very old dream at this point. Also the funding tracker is just shady as hell. There’s obviously some sort of smoothing of the numbers going on, as literally there isn’t an hour that goes by in which someone isn’t buying a picture of a spaceship for an 8 year old pre-alpha. And this is CIG we’re talking about, they’ll lie about anything and everything.
Wait for it:
“Thanks to Corona I got more time for the PTU and test some stuff and browse the store and check my collection. Hey, that jpeg might suit my fleet! I can’t go out and follow my hobbies and I might spend that money ingame, better yet”

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

XK posted:

I'm a wife's dream come true. She can have whatever she wants. I bring in money and she's really stupid and I still have pocket change left after buying ships.

*wild economic downturn occurs

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Space Ships $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me convince my wife she is a bitch

In the new JPEG economy, you’ll only need a gaming PC and an internet connection. The rest of your life will take place entirely in the ‘Verse.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Option 1: The marketing push is really working and people are buying in big. Problem: Once people get playing, are they really going to be as impressed as when they were sold on the game by shills and marketing? The blowback would be spectactular if this was the case.

This is some serious fud.

Once you play... no... experience living in the universe of Star citizen with millions of your fellow players... only an idiot wouldn't think it's worth more than the cost of a real car in real life. In fact you should sell you car to give the money to Chris Roberts. His vision of gaming is literally saving all PC and console gaming all over including on Mars. :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'm deffo leaning to Option 3: Everything is Made Up and the Numbers Don't Matter

it will be especially apparent after what happens in April funding tracker wise

*throws over her desk*

This is incorrigible! There's no way a man as honest as Chris Roberts would lie to us all! The game and he is too big to fail! He had enough money to fund it all 6 years ago and everything since then we voted on to force his hand to creep the scope! It's our fault he had to add in all these new features.

For this disgusting post I'm donating money to Chris Roberts just to offset the money you probably scared away with a new backer. You'll never get away with this FUD once the kill on sight list is made in the game and you are forever in a space jail. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I will make up every lost cent with money and blood from my donations because I believe in space ship gaming dlc for $1000's of dollars. It will be me and the guy who is a tentacle girl in VR chat bringing this project across the finish line, shoulder to tentacle. :black101:

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

zcrow posted:

Just want to point out that ibuprofen is not recommended in the case of COVID-19, at least according to Canadian health care. NSAIDs seem to make things worse. They're recommending sticking to acetaminophen for best outcomes.

Hav posted:

When you do get sick, watch your dosages, although the lethal single dose for most OTC painkillers is _really high_ (unless you're on a bunch of interferons), it's sometimes easy to forget. Ibuprofen is good for inflammation, but they put that poo poo in everything.

Catching up with the thread but also while it may be difficult to literally kill yourself immediately with OTC meds taking too much paracetamol can give you some pretty nasty liver damage, so please follow proper direction while using it and make sure you're not double dipping with different products that contain it.

Twyst fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 19, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

He's gonna thank me for my support and name me as Cesar of Space and Time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twyst posted:

Catching up with the thread but also while it may be difficult to literally kill yourself immediately with OTC meds taking too much paracetamol can give you some pretty nasty liver damage, so please follow proper direction while using it and make sure you're not double dipping with different products that contain it.

As scruffpuff pointed out, the NSAIDs could be making things worse, so stick with acetaminophen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Yeah I'm ok with that. :D

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I will make up every lost cent with money and blood from my donations because I believe in space ship gaming dlc for $1000's of dollars. It will be me and the guy who is a tentacle girl in VR chat bringing this project across the finish line, shoulder to tentacle. :black101:

:lol:

The day old Clifford hits $100k in total spending, I’m going to throw a giant party. It’s gratifying to me to know that fools and their money are getting parted. I hope he’s really digging deep to help CIG get by during this tough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Every major package being sold has been me all along. :)

I'm the ghost and the reason why nothing makes sense. :)