Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Dragon Age 2 is like Drakengard if it wasn't self-aware and also unconscious to the idea of intratextual criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

drkeiscool posted:

Okay, everyone tells you that you’re influential and are actively courting you for favor. What can you actually, concretely do with this influence? How can you affect the gameplay or the narrative of da2 with Hawke’s influence?

You can't, and that's one of the themes of the game. The forces Hawke is caught up in are bigger than them and you're ultimately unable to save anyone.

Its a pretty bleak message.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

NikkolasKing posted:

This is specifically why for my "canon" runs of DA1-3, even though I played a Human Male Mage who was radically Pro-Mage for the first two games, I decided to be a Female Elf Templar who was proud to be the Herald of Andraste in the third.

look at this shem

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Zore posted:

You can't, and that's one of the themes of the game. The forces Hawke is caught up in are bigger than them and you're ultimately unable to save anyone.

Its a pretty bleak message.

Yeah. The whole point of DA2 is that at the end of the day you are one person thrown into a chaotic mix of forces beyond your control. Your decisions have little
impact because again, you are only one person.

That's why Hawke's story is a tragedy. They had power but they couldn't do anything to stop the conflict because the mage/templar war was building for years before Hawke was even alive. That's why the stories surrounding Malcolm Hawke and Bethany are important too.

Players rage against this because they want a super powered protagonist that can do anything. But Hawke's poignancy lies in the fact that his story reflects real life: that we are helpless in the face of a broader cold and uncaring universe and that we can only make meaning with the people we love and care for.

e: its one of the gutsiest decisions Bioware ever made and I'm very bitter that we'll never get another poignant story like this because gamers are completely unable to handle not being an overpowered god protagonist.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HIJK posted:

Yeah. The whole point of DA2 is that at the end of the day you are one person thrown into a chaotic mix of forces beyond your control. Your decisions have little
impact because again, you are only one person.

That's why Hawke's story is a tragedy. They had power but they couldn't do anything to stop the conflict because the mage/templar war was building for years before Hawke was even alive. That's why the stories surrounding Malcolm Hawke and Bethany are important too.

Players rage against this because they want a super powered protagonist that can do anything. But Hawke's poignancy lies in the fact that his story reflects real life: that we are helpless in the face of a broader cold and uncaring universe and that we can only make meaning with the people we love and care for.

e: its one of the gutsiest decisions Bioware ever made and I'm very bitter that we'll never get another poignant story like this because gamers are completely unable to handle not being an overpowered god protagonist.

I always point to the High King of Skyrim mod as a good example of this.

Legendary Dragonborn who saves the world isn't enough for some people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

This is specifically why for my "canon" runs of DA1-3, even though I played a Human Male Mage who was radically Pro-Mage for the first two games, I decided to be a Female Elf Templar who was proud to be the Herald of Andraste in the third.

Being a pro Andraste Qunari mage is the best for that mentality.

"Yes, I am the herald of your valued and precious saint who is true voice of the Divine, magic is an abomination that exists to be aggressively controlled, what was your question again?"

"uh, you have horns?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drkeiscool posted:

Okay, everyone tells you that you’re influential and are actively courting you for favor. What can you actually, concretely do with this influence? How can you affect the gameplay or the narrative of da2 with Hawke’s influence?

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Everything that happens in Chapter is explicitly because Hawke is champion. The two most powerful organizations in the city are trying to get you on their side to make the other back down. What else are you looking for? You can be a literal god in an Elder Scrolls game and the gameworld will barely acknowledge it. DA2 at least backs up its claims that it's about the Champion of Kirkwall.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Everything that happens in Chapter is explicitly because Hawke is champion. The two most powerful organizations in the city are trying to get you on their side to make the other back down. What else are you looking for? You can be a literal god in an Elder Scrolls game and the gameworld will barely acknowledge it. DA2 at least backs up its claims that it's about the Champion of Kirkwall.

They’re more the most desperate organizations in the city. The Circle doesn’t really have any power, which is part of the issue

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

What else are you looking for?

To be honest, influence over the conclusions of the game's various narratives, like what so many other modern RPGs have done. A lot of RPG's have an epilogue, kind of a slideshow or video that explains what happens to various people, factions, parts of a city, your companions, things like that. I love things like Awakening's castle or Inquisition's War Table, where there are systems dedicated to having the player involved in making choices about particular things and showing off the results. I'm not bothered that DA2 has an inevitable, tragic ending, I'm bothered that it felt like I couldn't try to resolve it and fail.

HIJK posted:

The whole point of DA2 is that at the end of the day you are one person thrown into a chaotic mix of forces beyond your control. Your decisions have little impact because again, you are only one person.

And I actually agree with you that this is the story the writer's were trying to tell. I just disagree as to whether they told it well, which they didn't. I think it would've been fascinating if Hawke had actually been made Viscount at the start of Chapter 3, had some kind of gameplay system or Templar/Mage trust bar that you had to balance, and have it all blow up in your face regardless of what you did. Wars are definitely bigger than one man, and it could've made for a very poignant story.

HIJK posted:

I don't care about having a super powered protagonist who can do anything. Or I should say, I do enjoy power-fantasies, and Bioware is great at making them, but I'm not disappointed by DA2 because it has a protagonist who failed to stop something beyond his power to stop. I'm disappointed because I sincerely feel like he couldn't try. Not wouldn't, couldn't. As if the story just cut off branches before I could try to climb them, because the writers already knew the ending, instead of letting me try to climb them and fail on my own terms.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

drkeiscool posted:

To be honest, influence over the conclusions of the game's various narratives, like what so many other modern RPGs have done. A lot of RPG's have an epilogue, kind of a slideshow or video that explains what happens to various people, factions, parts of a city, your companions, things like that. I love things like Awakening's castle or Inquisition's War Table, where there are systems dedicated to having the player involved in making choices about particular things and showing off the results. I'm not bothered that DA2 has an inevitable, tragic ending, I'm bothered that it felt like I couldn't try to resolve it and fail.

And I actually agree with you that this is the story the writer's were trying to tell. I just disagree as to whether they told it well, which they didn't. I think it would've been fascinating if Hawke had actually been made Viscount at the start of Chapter 3, had some kind of gameplay system or Templar/Mage trust bar that you had to balance, and have it all blow up in your face regardless of what you did. Wars are definitely bigger than one man, and it could've made for a very poignant story.

I don't care about having a super powered protagonist who can do anything. Or I should say, I do enjoy power-fantasies, and Bioware is great at making them, but I'm not disappointed by DA2 because it has a protagonist who failed to stop something beyond his power to stop. I'm disappointed because I sincerely feel like he couldn't try. Not wouldn't, couldn't. As if the story just cut off branches before I could try to climb them, because the writers already knew the ending, instead of letting me try to climb them and fail on my own terms.

Given the way Bioware handled trying and "failing" in ME3 with the Kai Leng fight on Thessia I'm okay with them not letting Hawke try.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Admiral Ray posted:

Given the way Bioware handled trying and "failing" in ME3 with the Kai Leng fight on Thessia I'm okay with them not letting Hawke try.

lol remember when Kai Leng poses out in the open to recharge his shields and the gunship fires at you, and if Shepard (who has killed like eight gunships on foot) fires at it, Kai Leng makes fun of you

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

lol remember when Kai Leng poses out in the open to recharge his shields and the gunship fires at you, and if Shepard (who has killed like eight gunships on foot) fires at it, Kai Leng makes fun of you

The renegade option to kill Kai Leng was definitely the most enjoyable one in the series though even if he was the most overwrought villain in a series full of them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kai Leng was goofy as poo poo, but his presence in the game never bothered me. Mass Effect already has tons of goofy characters and I never took the series seriously enough for Kai to be offensive amongst them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good ol piss cereal cyborg ninja.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think the weird thing with kai leng was his 11th hour appearance that made no sense unless you had been following the cross-media prequel stuff or whatever

and also that even in that it was really bad (like the cereal stuff)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Kai Leng was goofy as poo poo, but his presence in the game never bothered me. Mass Effect already has tons of goofy characters and I never took the series seriously enough for Kai to be offensive amongst them.

they hadn't built him up at all was the issue, and all of a sudden he shows up and does stuff like "jams melee weapon into the ground and closes to melee distance with your squadmates, who are so astounded by this move that they miss every shot"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, I don't think so. It seems more likely they were formed from the Titan's and worked in harmony with and within them. To willingly leave doesn't seem like it would have been prohibited simply because it wasn't done. The case might be made that the Titan's sing to the dwarves in a similar way that the Demon Supreme's sing to the darkspawn and that severing the connection and making their world silent would make them go mad, but given the large amount of non-mad dwarves it'd probably just suck for them for a while.

What I hope is that DA4 doesn't go the route of attempting to paint the dwarves as slaves. It'd be rad if the Elven oligarchs were all "Sure, we murdered the only good things in the world and but we totally freed the dwarves by doing it, trust us."

edit: by "It seems more likely" I mean "I want this to be true".

The Dwarves aside, I do like the theory that the Elves fought with the Titans to use their blood (lyrium) to fuel their spells, and that the blight was somehow a result of that and may have been an elven super weapon designed to help them defeat the Titans. And Solas said gently caress that because the Blight was going to destroy the world if it wasn't put into check, and the elven gods didn't care to stop it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
e: double post whoops

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

they hadn't built him up at all was the issue, and all of a sudden he shows up and does stuff like "jams melee weapon into the ground and closes to melee distance with your squadmates, who are so astounded by this move that they miss every shot"

I think the idea is supposed to be that he's the evil counterpart to Commander Shepard, TIM's replacement for Shepard after she went back to the Citadel, but he's just another one of those characters suddenly introduced at the last second of the trilogy who ends up meaningless as a result (see also Vega and Starchild).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I think the idea is supposed to be that he's the evil counterpart to Commander Shepard, TIM's replacement for Shepard after she went back to the Citadel, but he's just another one of those characters suddenly introduced at the last second of the trilogy who ends up meaningless as a result (see also Vega and Starchild).

yeah like that'd all be fine had they built him up and not caused him to constantly win because of cutscene incompetence on the part of your companions and Shepard

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

chaosapiant posted:

It wasn't his characterization, it was that I completely loving wrecked him whenever I got control of Shepard back. The way BioWare handled Shepard failing wasn't by actually creating a good encounter that we would fail no matter how well we played or what decisions we made, but rather by taking control away and having Shepard fail in a cutscene. It was bad design.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
remember when kai leng defeated your squad of elite badasses by throwing one of them into the other?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

And also the random media person that they made up and stuck on your ship instead of the other 2 reporters that they had already introduced in the series.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Alexander Hamilton posted:

And also the random media person that they made up and stuck on your ship instead of the other 2 reporters that they had already introduced in the series.

d'oh ho ho, that wasn't just a random media person, it was Jessica Chobot

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drkeiscool posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Chobot gained exposure when Kotaku published a photo of her licking a Sony PSP online in 2005.

lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

idk what they were thinking, she did a not-horrifying job I guess but how many people out there were on the fence about buying ME3 until they learned she was in it?

Meanwhile they killed off the reporter character everyone knew on Twitter

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finally in Inquisition in my trilogy play through. Last time I really played was prior to Witcher 3 coming out. I'd forgotten just how gorgeous this game is, and yea, it's got a poo poo-ton of fetch quests, but the world is gorgeous and feels super alive, and has an amazing cast of characters. If Dragon Age 4 is anywhere near as good, I'll be happy and impresed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If I was only going to do one run through of DAI, what's the best choice for the Inquisitor and followers?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Khizan posted:

If I was only going to do one run through of DAI, what's the best choice for the Inquisitor and followers?

I'd say female elf mage, so you can get tied to the best parts of the lore. That's what I'm playing now.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Khizan posted:

The usual recommendation is elf rift mage, and female so you can romance Solas. But if you think having to romance Solas might sap your enjoyment of the game too much, male mage or dw rogue romancing Cassandra is also good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I ended up just rolling dice to make a character, I'm a dalish rogue for DAO.

Between her default robes and the chasind robes, I forgot how long it takes to get Morrigan any stat-useful robes that aren't also cringey fetish gear.

Also all the light armour looks awful but I knew that going in.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I ended up just rolling dice to make a character, I'm a dalish rogue for DAO.

Between her default robes and the chasind robes, I forgot how long it takes to get Morrigan any stat-useful robes that aren't also cringey fetish gear.

Also all the light armour looks awful but I knew that going in.

What's up fellow dalish person. I was female dalish elf warrior with the default name (I think it's Lyna?)

Also cringy fetish gear fits morrigan's character

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does it?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One of her early conversations is about how she used girl appeal to lure templars to their death her mother. I would say it does.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like to keep Morrigan's robes just because I like to keep each character with their particular look as much as that is possible.

I hate it when the first thing you do after getting a character is strip them out of their gear with a unique appearance and slap them into a set of boring standard armor that makes them look like generic bandits or soldiers. One of the things I really liked about Dragon Age 2 was that all your companions kept their unique armor appearances and you were never forced to choose between appearance and performance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

I like to keep Morrigan's robes just because I like to keep each character with their particular look as much as that is possible.

I hate it when the first thing you do after getting a character is strip them out of their gear with a unique appearance and slap them into a set of boring standard armor that makes them look like generic bandits or soldiers. One of the things I really liked about Dragon Age 2 was that all your companions kept their unique armor appearances and you were never forced to choose between appearance and performance.

Yeah DAO has that problem all around and it doesn't help that there is more lovely-looking gear than good-looking. Other than Sten everyone looks better if you keep them how they came for the whole game.

Another thing that really irks me is how often and how quickly gear that should be important to you gets woefully outclassed- like the dalish warden gets a ring from their keeper, the Cousland gets the family sword, etc. Every warden gets something unique.

I'd like if those items especially all got unique looks and instead of swapping out your gear, you got upgrades to keep them relevant. Just have some NPC doing some bullshit in gratitude at every story area to the Cousland sword or mom's boots or the Keeper's ring or the fine dwarven blade or whatever, so you aren't selling your heirloom in the first quarter of the game because you found something better.

poo poo I'd love if DAO got a remake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always like to get Cailan's armor and put Alistair in it. Looks good and makes sense.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I just remembered, DAO has a ton of mods on the steam workshop. You can probably find aesthetic armors/robes/whatever there. Although given how this usually goes I suspect most of them will look more sexualized, not less....

E: I highly recommend playing with the mod that hides all the crazy status effects when you're in a cutscene. That poo poo got annoying as gently caress

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 21, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I just remembered, DAO has a ton of mods on the steam workshop. You can probably find aesthetic armors/robes/whatever there. Although given how this usually goes I suspect most of them will look more sexualized, not less....

E: I highly recommend playing with the mod that hides all the crazy status effects when you're in a cutscene. That poo poo got annoying as gently caress

oh god please link this. playing my arcane knight with a million sustained effects is giving me a headache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

babypolis posted:

oh god please link this. playing my arcane knight with a million sustained effects is giving me a headache

It wasn't workshop, it was Nexus. But I think this is what I used: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/98/

After all this time I don't remember how to install mods for DAO but I'm pretty sure it's not too hard

Oh, there's also a mod that makes helmets invisible so you can see characters faces but still get the stat boost. That's on Nexus somewhere too