Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

We have nowhere nearly enough data to determine how frequently covid-19 mutates.

How much data do we need and what are you basing that on? We have the full genome of the virus sequenced from 100's of cases. I would of assumed that is enough to determine it quite well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RichardA posted:

How much data do we need and what are you basing that on? We have the full genome of the virus sequenced from 100's of cases. I would of assumed that is enough to determine it quite well?

Yeah, how do you account for the work being done by Trevor Bedford and his lab at Fred Hutch?

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1242628550563250176?s=21

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Worker at the local nursing home had the roni. This is gonna suck.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Welp. Got the call that my grandmother is sick. As far as I know she is just experiencing a mild fever and nausea. I'm hoping the nausea means it's something else. :(

My grandma’s got it and still doing ok nearly a week in :) be strong.

Pure anecdote but most of the people I know who are confirmed (or presumed positive) have noticed a sore throat and then woken up with a fever after a couple days and only then suspected they had it. I don’t see sore throat mentioned much in the expected symptoms so worth keeping in mind for everybody. There’s probably an unfortunate amount of spreading going on because people mainly hone in on fever and cough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

enraged_camel posted:

We have nowhere nearly enough data to determine how frequently covid-19 mutates.

Compared to the flu and similar strains, we can know that pretty definitively. The flu is continously mutating all the time. There are two reasons for that.
1: Flu is a wild cocktail of different viruses which are kinda similar. Some are moire dangerous than others, each has a chance to mutate.
2. Each of those "Flu-strains" consists of DNA which is segmented. Basically you have n pieces of DNA, which break apart kinda easily and might reform in one of n! different permutation. The new DNA is mostly the same but the different order confuses antibodies so that they can't detect the new strain.

Neither of these points apply to this virus, which implies that mutations are far less likely. Of course regular mutation might still be a thing, but that's a comparatively little change, where big differences are unlikely. Some As will get swapped for some Ts or Gs.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Ice Phisherman posted:

That wasn't some random horny post about how to get your post-apocalyptic girlfriend or boyfriend. It was about how to healthily seek human contact that many of us are going to need in the future because many of us live alone. If I was horny posting I wouldn't for example go out of my way to remind people why you should vet a potential significant other so you don't get stuck with an abuser for months when isolation comes again.

horny posting and weird stalker level posting aren't mutually exclusive

ah gently caress I forgot to refresh the page before hitting quote this is like 5 pages old lmao

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Compared to the flu and similar strains, we can know that pretty definitively. The flu is continously mutating all the time. There are two reasons for that.
1: Flu is a wild cocktail of different viruses which are kinda similar. Some are moire dangerous than others, each has a chance to mutate.
2. Each of those "Flu-strains" consists of DNA which is segmented. Basically you have n pieces of DNA, which break apart kinda easily and might reform in one of n! different permutation. The new DNA is mostly the same but the different order confuses antibodies so that they can't detect the new strain.

Neither of these points apply to this virus, which implies that mutations are far less likely. Of course regular mutation might still be a thing, but that's a comparatively little change, where big differences are unlikely. Some As will get swapped for some Ts or Gs.

This thing is far more contagious than the flu, which means a much larger number of hosts. Which means a much greater chance to mutate.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mentioned it before, but flus aren't just different species from other flus, some are different GENUSES. Like getting the flu is like getting attacked by a lion on year, then a tiger then next year, then a sea lion the third year. They do mutate, but the fact we get them every year is more about the fact influensa is an extremely broad net of fairly distant viruses. People do end up with some resistance to flus they had even 40 years ago, but it doesn't really matter because we called a really broad set of things influenza and there is always another one to get.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

enraged_camel posted:

This thing is far more contagious than the flu, which means a much larger number of hosts. Which means a much greater chance to mutate.

The various strains of coronavirus going around causing serious illness (there are 8 right now) haven't really been under any evolutionary pressure because they spread so well. It's a little bit premature to say that coronavirus will maintain it's current, relatively slow mutation rate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Guess who got straightened out by their publicist

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/entertainment/evangeline-lilly-apology-trnd/index.html

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Are you sure about that?
I know that the "regular flu" (if you could define such a thing) has a way smaller rate of spread.
But that doesn't mean it's always this way. There have been flu seasons where pretty much everyone was infected, with incredibly mild symptoms, which just went away after a few days and were barely noticeable. I doubt that corona is spreading wider than every version of influenza in history.

Also the factors I mentioned make it way less likely to mutate. In order to level that out by sheer numbers you would need to have hundreds or thosand times the number of infected people. I am pulling these numbers out of my rear end, but if ten times as many people have the corona compared to the flu, the flu is still way way more like to mutate into something else.

VVVV Yeah, this too.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

enraged_camel posted:

Read the twitter thread from the Fred Hutch guy.

This one https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1242628550563250176

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 29, 2020

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Man, the one thing about quarantine is this fucks with my sleep schedule hardcore. I'm regularly sleeping like 15-19 hours a night and going to bed at like 9AM. I'm so not excited to get back to an office and classroom lmao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Man, the one thing about quarantine is this fucks with my sleep schedule hardcore. I'm regularly sleeping like 15-19 hours a night and going to bed at like 9AM. I'm so not excited to get back to an office and classroom lmao

Use an alarm clock.
Seriously, sleeping 19 hours is incredibly unhealthy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dude sleeping 19 hours is a sign of major depression or some other health issue

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spaced God posted:

The most important thing you can do for yourself is keep on a regular schedule. Get up at a regular time, like 8 AM. Shower, get dressed, leave the bedroom. Go watch TV or YouTube or something. Read a book. Play some games. Do whatever.

Don't go back to bed until at least 10 PM, closer to midnight is better.

Maintain a routine. It will keep you sane.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spaced God posted:

So you go to bed at 9am and then get up again at 4am?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sampatrick posted:

I enjoy IP's posts even if some of them are a little weird.

Yeah, I'll cop to being weird. The world is weird and it's just going to get weirder. What's considered normal is already constantly shifting and it's going to shift radically soon. Some things are going to fundamentally change and we'll have to adapt to a new normal. I can't make any specific predictions. I can only follow trends and look to history for what will emerge from all of this. Some of the predictions I'm making are panning out. Some aren't. But it's important to think about the future.

We're entering into entirely unprecedented territory and it's important to start thinking differently about how we approach life to stay ahead. Many of us are going to be in hard isolation until probably June or July because the earliest that I've read that "flattening the curve" happens is May ninth and that's for places that are dealing well with the situation now. Long term isolation is something that most of us have never dealt with before and some of us are straight up not going to cope well or at all with the new normal. And that's just one of many large changes which will feed into many more smaller changes to our way of life.

A lot of poo poo is going to change due to the coronavirus and it won't change back.

Iamgoofball posted:

horny posting and weird stalker level posting aren't mutually exclusive

Making sure the person I'm possibly living with when the second wave of coronavirus comes isn't an abuser is important because I'll be stuck with them for months. That's a safety issue and the cops in cities that are hardest hit have flat out told us that they're not going to respond to many crimes because they're going to be busy and I expect for that to become the norm. So if someone starts beating on you or someone else in the house or worse, you're likely on your own. I'd do the same exact thing with a roommate for the exact same reasons.

My best friend doesn't have grandparents on one side of his family because his grandfather did a full murder suicide on his entire household, only missing my friend's dad because he was working late that night. There are more firearms sold right now than ever before and you're going to put them into the hands of people who are not going to cope well. Hell loving yes I'm going to vet people before they live with me. I don't need to know every detail of their life, but "will they hurt me" is already important now and it's going to be more pressing after we emerge from all of this.

Domestic violence is climbing and it's only going to get higher when people are in a confined space with one another for a long period of time while under stress. People who are in quarantine from now until June or July are not going to do well. Some people who are violent abusers are going to turn even more violent. Some people who were not abusers before will turn into them as they cope in ugly ways.

The coming long term isolation is going to traumatize people, even if it is not a total isolation because you can use the phone, text and game with other people. For some people that will be enough. For some it won't. And many people are going to fling themselves into living situations without thinking about who they'll be living with when they emerge from quarantine. Most of us have had that friend who gets into bad relationship after bad relationship because they're lonely. We're all going to emerge from quarantine and some of us will find abusers and then we'll be stuck with them and there will be more abusers than before this hit.

But we'll still need people around us because many people will flat out refuse to go through this again for the second wave and the third wave and other waves after that, but we're going to have to anyway. We'll get stuffed back into our homes and without human contact, many people will suffer or even die as a result. Many people won't be able to take going through isolation one more time. And having someone to lean on may make the difference.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spaced God posted:

It’s so weird I hear so many people saying things like this because I was unemployed for the first time in like a decade+ for all of December, January, and half of February so these were all things I experienced when the rest of the world was humming along as normal.

Imagine how big of a poo poo you feel like when there’s not a global pandemic as an excuse.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

We should start quarantine areas where no one is allowed in unless they're tested negative or have gone through isolation period. Expand safe zones over time.

Well of course we'll be charging for entry, how did you guess?

What if we made it a reverse gulag

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Spaced God posted:

That's really, really bad for you and is a strong sign of depression. You should change your habits so you're not sleeping so much and if that doesn't work, go seek help. If you're having thoughts of self-harm, you should call the national suicide hotline for your country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
https://www.phila.gov/2020-03-28-where-to-find-free-nutritious-food-during-covid-19/

Philadelphia will begin offering 5-day supplies of food on Mondays and Thursdays. This is in addition to meals being offered to school-aged children (a lot of kids here actually relied on schools for their daily meals).

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's really, really bad for you and is a strong sign of depression. You should change your habits so you're not sleeping so much and if that doesn't work, go seek help. If you're having thoughts of self-harm, you should call the national suicide hotline for your country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

I can't believe my mental health got the shortest post I've ever seen out of you, but yeah no I'm already on antidepressants

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chair In A Basket posted:

Worker at the local nursing home had the roni. This is gonna suck.

3 days ago at least 147 nursing homes in the US had at least one affected patient.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Koalas March posted:

Welp. Got the call that my grandmother is sick. As far as I know she is just experiencing a mild fever and nausea. I'm hoping the nausea means it's something else. :(

I’m not sure it’s super well-understood yet overall, but we’ve been taking extreme precautions on all respiratory, febrile and GI symptom patients, and more or less taking baseline droplet precautions on all medical patients otherwise.

I think initially GI was reported to be rare but there has been an increasing frequency in GI presentations—although most frequently severe diarrhea (I believe).

We are kind of on the initial upswing in SC so I’ve seen a bunch of presumptive cases but nothing yet confirmed. All have been respiratory presentation or just febrile. Our testing regime is total poo poo though. :sigh:

Just be hopeful. The other less-deadly diseases didn’t take time off. It could just as easily be something else *fingers crossed*

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Spaced God posted:

I can't believe my mental health got the shortest post I've ever seen out of you, but yeah no I'm already on antidepressants
His posts are why D&D was renamed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

i am harry posted:

His posts are why D&D was renamed.

Still mad it's not renamed to Survival Sex Havers or something funnier

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Spaced God posted:

Check the side effects. Some anti-depressants, especially if they're new, will cause depression or suicidal thoughts. If they're not new, you should check with your psychiatrist and let them know about your change in behavior and they may adjust your dosage so you're not sleeping 15-19 hours a day. That sort of behavior, again, is a strong indicator of depression. Not certain, but strong. You may have caught your depression early before it gets worse. Please take care of yourself.

Also, if you get short on meds, because there's going to be a shortage due to supply chain issues sometime in the near future for literally hundreds of generic meds, check to see what the side effects of coming off your dosage would be or better yet, ask your psychiatrist. Some meds can cause some really nasty side-effects if you come off them without a step-down regimen. They can be life threatening.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 29, 2020

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Would you be eager to go lick all your friends right after hell virus lockdown was lifted? A few people would but I don't think that's most people. There'd be a ramp up over time.

Go around licking people? No.

:zerg: bars, restaurants, and so forth, creating dense crowds where the virus could easily spread? Yes.

mod sassinator posted:

This is probably complete lunacy and it's more of a thought exercise, but could you identify antibodies that infected people produced and then CRISPR the generation of those antibodies into everyone's immune systems?

Someone's working on a vaccine that works kinda sorta like that. It puts virus genes into your cells, but instead of producing whole entire viruses, the cells just produce the virus surface proteins that your immune system would use for making antibodies.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

Check the side effects. Some anti-depressants, especially if they're new, will cause depression or suicidal thoughts. If they're not new, you should check with your psychiatrist and let them know about your change in behavior and they may adjust your dosage so you're not sleeping 15-19 hours a day.

Also, if you get short on meds, because there's going to be a shortage due to supply chain issues sometime in the near future for literally hundreds of generic meds, check to see what the side effects of coming off your dosage would be or better yet, ask your psychiatrist. Some meds can cause some really nasty side-effects if you come off them without a step-down regimen. They can be life threatening.

wow what don't you act as an authority about

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Spaced God posted:

wow what don't you act as an authority about

This isn't rocket science. It's depression. It's surprisingly common. A lot of people have had it, including me.

I'm also not the only person to ask you to go seek help. People before me told you that what you're going through is not normal.

Edit: I'm going to take a break. People aren't happy with me. I'm going to take a week off.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 29, 2020

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Someone hasn't picked their apocalypse harem yet

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cockmaster posted:

It's called survival sex

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Ice Phisherman posted:

Check the side effects. Some anti-depressants, especially if they're new, will cause depression or suicidal thoughts. If they're not new, you should check with your psychiatrist and let them know about your change in behavior and they may adjust your dosage so you're not sleeping 15-19 hours a day. That sort of behavior, again, is a strong indicator of depression. Not certain, but strong. You may have caught your depression early before it gets worse. Please take care of yourself.

please let the sleepy dude just get some sleep

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Berke Negri posted:

please let the sleepy dude just get some sleep

Hey man, Stevie Wonder specifically said that sleepers should just stop sleeping.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I used to go to the gym 4-6 days a week and do cardio on top of that. I can't sleep for poo poo in the new normal of doing sad pushups in the apartment. Last night I layed in bed from like 8pm-midnight, slept a bit, woke up when it was still dark and assumed it must be like 5 or 6am, got in the bath, looked at my phone and realized it was 2am. Meet me halfway, sleepy goon.

Like if the rona gets me bad it's gonna be cuz of the sleep deprivation.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow so glad you came in here to tell us your completely uninformed opinion on a topic which you know nothing about, you loving idiot.

Care to elaborate or just talk poo poo? I work in biotech, not personally on mammalian viruses but a lot of my colleagues keep up with all the clinical trials and they aren't optimistic

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd been burning the candle at both ends for a while so I'm not ashamed to say I've had a couple 10+ hour nights of sleep. It's not like I can really go do much during the weekend, and it's just me and my dog who has to sleep all day because of heartworm treatment anyway.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

They're saying the USA death toll doubled in 48 hours. That can't be right can it? It's been doubling in 4 days elsewhere. What could explain this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
After five days of volunteering for 3 to 4 hours a day as the front door people at our local grocery co-op, making sure people wash or sanitize their hands and put on gloves and giving them safety instructions about what to do in the store, and making sure only a small number go inside at a timw, my wife and I both have fevers, lower back pain, exhaustion and sore throats. We took as many precautions as we knew about. So to celestial scribe who asked me not to wonder what happens when all the grocery employees predictably start getting it because that would somehow lead people to not take precautions: go gently caress yourself.