Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hunt11 posted:

I do like how they stopped bothering with making excuses with late fees and just got rid of the mechanic altogether.

For all that the big changes are done pretty well I'm honestly appreciating the tiny fixes to gameflow they did much more.

I honestly loved P5 and it was one of those games I would occasionally go back and replay, but there was all kinds of little poo poo that always irritated me. And now they fixed almost all of it. It's gone from a very good, but a little rough game to something polished to a loving mirror shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels like closing the diner until May is a change they made entirely to gently caress with people like me who know how useful it was to optimize your social stats in the earlygame.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 1, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

It feels like closing the diner until May is a change they made entirely to gently caress with people like me who know how useful it was to optimize your social stats in the earlygame.

I am not sure if that needs to be spoilered but yeah it definitely sucks. It also feels like you get less points then you used to.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

I feel like it was a way to shove players coming back from P5 towards getting into the habit of using the activities at Leblanc as their primary stat builders.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah Izanagi-No-Okami is completely ridiculous even by DLC standards. Victory Cry and a signature move that makes Morning Star look like chump change, all at base. Maybe it’s to make up for the fact that it wasn’t really worth fusing in 4 lol.

I remember spending stupid amounts of time fusing to get Beelzebub for Victory Cry near the end of Persona 3. Crazy that it would be available from the start in P5R.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Did kawakami slip the wrong card to the protagonist in the original game? I really don’t remember that happening

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Endgame spoiler:

I like how they had another great opportunity to slip Nyarthalotep in and just didn't. Persona 1/2 have been totally unpersoned. :v:

Hunt11 posted:

I do like how they stopped bothering with making excuses with late fees and just got rid of the mechanic altogether.

I thought it was funny how even the zero punctuation review brought up how video renting would inevitably end with you skipping ahead two weeks and not being able to return them in time.

It was kinda a cute idea to add to the feel but in practice it was kinda dumb and I never bothered with it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Spiffster posted:

Did kawakami slip the wrong card to the protagonist in the original game? I really don’t remember that happening

It's new

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I had been following this guide up until now https://www.thegamer.com/persona-5-royal-may-walkthrough-guide/ and it had been seeming pretty good and accurate, now it's turned out that it gave me some innaccurate info on an event and now I'm way past where I would have been able to go back, I just finished Madarames palace at the point it told me too and then it says the next chariot hangout should be a rank up but it wasn't for me so seems like the answers it gave me at the previous scene were wrong and Kawakami wasn't outside the faculty lounge on the 28th either so not sure when I'll be able to start that, either way the entire guide will get messed up because of that so following it would be weird. I like how it specifally says the only ones you must keep up with are temperance and chariot as well and those are the ones that have been not correct for me.

Mainly just asking/making sure that the games not actually so tight that this will properly screw me on finishing all the confidants is it? Been so long since I played the original. Guess it means any guide is now useless though or I'll have to modify it a bit.

Edit: Oh no, turns out by "story segment" at nighttime on the 27th the guide meant "go talk to mishima and start the temperance thing" so that part isn't boned up, just very unclear. Chariot was still hosed for me though now I'm wondering if I boned it up, pretty sure I selected the options it said and had a chariot persona though. Eh, it'll probably be fine.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Only an hour or so in but I'm appreciating all the little translation fixes. They even re-dubbed the lines.

Spiffster posted:

No that's definitely new.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So I had been following this guide up until now https://www.thegamer.com/persona-5-royal-may-walkthrough-guide/ and it had been seeming pretty good and accurate, now it's turned out that it gave me some innaccurate info on an event and now I'm way past where I would have been able to go back, I just finished Madarames palace at the point it told me too and then it says the next chariot hangout should be a rank up but it wasn't for me so seems like the answers it gave me at the previous scene were wrong and Kawakami wasn't outside the faculty lounge on the 28th either so not sure when I'll be able to start that, either way the entire guide will get messed up because of that so following it would be weird. I like how it specifally says the only ones you must keep up with are temperance and chariot as well and those are the ones that have been not correct for me.

Mainly just asking/making sure that the games not actually so tight that this will properly screw me on finishing all the confidants is it? Been so long since I played the original. Guess it means any guide is now useless though or I'll have to modify it a bit.

Edit: Oh no, turns out by "story segment" at nighttime on the 27th the guide meant "go talk to mishima and start the temperance thing" so that part isn't boned up, just very unclear. Chariot was still hosed for me though now I'm wondering if I boned it up, pretty sure I selected the options it said and had a chariot persona though. Eh, it'll probably be fine.

I did the original blind (outside basic poo poo like just knowing when the confidants are available) in Japanese and ranked up everyone with a few days to spare. You'd figure Royal would be even more lenient

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Perfect Potato posted:

I did the original blind (outside basic poo poo like just knowing when the confidants are available) in Japanese and ranked up everyone with a few days to spare. You'd figure Royal would be even more lenient

If I remember right the hardest part about getting all the confidants maxed was hitting Makoto's max Charm qualifier at the right time.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right the hardest part about getting all the confidants maxed was hitting Makoto's max Charm qualifier at the right time.

That and her Nice requirement even before then. I definitely stonewalled at that, but I didn’t work in the flower shop enough I think is what it meant?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
God, hopefully I can beat the first boss this time around. One of the minibosses in the first palace kept wrecking my rear end and I just gave up with the load times and having to go back through things to get to that point.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Sydin posted:

Only an hour or so in but I'm appreciating all the little translation fixes. They even re-dubbed the lines.

I played through the first bit when P5 first came out but got drug away by other things and never finished after getting half way through the second palace. This time I feel like the story is a bit clearer and everything just makes more sense. I dont know if this because I had some interaction with it a few years ago and its easier to grasp because of old memories of the game or if the translation is just better.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 1, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah I did pretty well on the original as well, think I had Haru at rank 8 and the arcade kid at around the same left to do when I was a couple days from the point of no return and saw I wasn't going to do it based on the time I had available so didn't worry about it, intending to do it on NG+ which never happened. Was hoping to just get everyone maxed out in royal the first time and then if I ever want to do NG+ I'll be all free and breezy doing whatever I want.

It'll probably be fine, like I'll just hang out with Ryuji the next time he's available and replace whatever was in that day later I guess.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Iymarra posted:

God, hopefully I can beat the first boss this time around. One of the minibosses in the first palace kept wrecking my rear end and I just gave up with the load times and having to go back through things to get to that point.

If that's the one I'm thinking of then they made it optional.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The guide demanding you get the +2 bonus points from crafting is gonna totally throw me off forever but gently caress I don't care. I sat there for 45 minutes on the first one trying to get it and never got it. I'm certainly going to play NG+ so whatever.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is it really that hard to max all the confidants this time round? I finished them all with 3 weeks to spare without a guide in vanilla and they give you more time now, don't they?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

CJ posted:

Is it really that hard to max all the confidants this time round? I finished them all with 3 weeks to spare without a guide in vanilla and they give you more time now, don't they?

Should be, yes.

And 99% of the completionist guides right now are just copy pasted from the original game with a new title to draw clicks, so they're basically useless anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Stroth posted:

Should be, yes.

And 99% of the completionist guides right now are just copy pasted from the original game with a new title to draw clicks, so they're basically useless anyway.

I thought that might be the case but the one I was using did have stuff you couldn't do in the original in it. Could still be the case and they've just added stuff at night after going into the dungeons and stuff I guess.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

I was going to use this one first but the first classroom answer it had for 4/12 was wrong so I jumped to the one that was posted earlier when I asked.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

mateo360 posted:

I was going to use this one first but the first classroom answer it had for 4/12 was wrong so I jumped to the one that was posted earlier when I asked.

Yeah I was using the one from thegamer.com last night but I think I'll abandon it and use the one posted earlier that's hosted on github.

https://aqiu384.github.io/p5r-walkthrough/walkthrough

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been using this one: https://samurai-gamers.com/persona-5/

It even splits off the things that are different. I haven't really been using the step-by-step walkthrough, though. Just some of the confidant and question answers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just ignore the confidants that suck, like Makoto's. I say that as someone who liked Makoto.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Are they going to fix the horrific translation in certain parts of the game?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the rate of getting an extra on crafting? I'm save scrubbing and this poo poo is taking forever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They may very well have lowered the double craft/bonus point proc rate considering that you now have way more free nights to craft.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Peachfart posted:

Are they going to fix the horrific translation in certain parts of the game?

Only a couple hours in but so far they've mad a ton of translation fixes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Arist posted:

They may very well have lowered the double craft/bonus point proc rate considering that you now have way more free nights to craft.

Yeah the guide I'm following says I need to get it tonight but I may just wait till i get the fortune teller and use that trick instead later, i dunno.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

Endgame spoiler:

I like how they had another great opportunity to slip Nyarthalotep in and just didn't. Persona 1/2 have been totally unpersoned. :v:

I think you mean Persona 1/2 have been totally unpersonaed. :v:

onesixtwo posted:

Guns are amazing when they reload every fight, dang. I also loved the lore explanation for why they would of course reload.

Not actually going to play this unless it gets ported to Switch so what is the explanation for it? Hoping/assuming it's that only the enemies you are fighting in the current battle would be able to keep track of how many bullets you are supposed to have.
Outside of reloading between fights do they just do more damage now?
I'm contractually obligated to bring up P5S in every post but guns are a lot more useful in that game than original P5 since there's less distinction between dungeon exploration and battles and you can shoot them outside of battles. So when there are sometimes enemies wandering the dungeon that you're not in a position to easily ambush, you can just shoot them from a far distance to trigger a battle. It won't count as a preemptive strike but at least will let you avoid being ambushed by the enemy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Item Getter posted:

Not actually going to play this unless it gets ported to Switch so what is the explanation for it? Hoping/assuming it's that only the enemies you are fighting in the current battle would be able to keep track of how many bullets you are supposed to have.
Outside of reloading between fights do they just do more damage now?

The idea is "the enemy expects you to be locked and loaded coming into a fight", so you are. It isn't like you carried real ammo to begin with.

As far as damage, it is about the same from what I can tell. But you can't sell back old guns to the airsoft shop anymore which is an interesting but annoying change.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I got about 75% of the way through Persona 5 so I'm excited for what is basically Persona 5 but better :)

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Just unlocked the first calling card, (haven't sent it yet.) I'm loving the changes to baton pass. Not only giving it to everyone right from the start, but they altered enemy formations so that baton pass is more useful. The first time I finished off an enemy group by quad-baton, I felt like such a badass.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

rbakervv posted:

Just unlocked the first calling card, (haven't sent it yet.) I'm loving the changes to baton pass. Not only giving it to everyone right from the start, but they altered enemy formations so that baton pass is more useful. The first time I finished off an enemy group by quad-baton, I felt like such a badass.

Yeah, this. They took an already enjoyable fast paced combat system and figured out how to make it even faster from the get go

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Stroth posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of then they made it optional.

Yeah, I'm referring to the enemy in the first castle, I guess the tutorial castle the mounted mini boss guy, I think. If memory serves there was that sneaking around bit and then fighting one of those guys after getting a key? Constantly getting wiped and going back to the save prior to the sneaking part made me frustrated. If that's been changed then I'm quite happy.

So what's the DLC situation? I recall there being a bunch of free stuff for P5, like extra personas and stuff. Is that included, or a different download on PSN etc?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Iymarra posted:

Yeah, I'm referring to the enemy in the first castle, I guess the tutorial castle the mounted mini boss guy, I think. If memory serves there was that sneaking around bit and then fighting one of those guys after getting a key? Constantly getting wiped and going back to the save prior to the sneaking part made me frustrated. If that's been changed then I'm quite happy.

So what's the DLC situation? I recall there being a bunch of free stuff for P5, like extra personas and stuff. Is that included, or a different download on PSN etc?

It's a free option in the PSN store. Gotta get it separate.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm liking the little changes I've noticed so far, but I'm only just getting into the first palace. Was the "thieves aid" option in saferooms that heals you to full always there? I don't remember it. What's the downside?

Also I played the first game on normal and started this one on hard - I want a challenge as someone who beat the game already but nothing masochistic. How high did they tune the difficulty from normal?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm playing on normal for my first run through and the first glowing red enemy I ran into was one-shotting Ann and Morgana, I've already had to burn a couple revivadins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm playing on Normal and it's pretty easy, though part of that's the 150,000 yen (!) they give you from the DLC and the save bonus.