Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ReindeerF posted:

Dude, we ran a black prison out of Thailand post-9/11, not to mention the entire Vietnam War, and a few years ago stole an entire Russian arms dealer out of Thailand against Putin's will. A bunch of German medical masks? That's a layup.

This isn't the first time the US has pissed off European allies. And Germany especially, with the US trying to block the finishing of Nord Stream 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Also the USA has a long and proud history of theft *gestures to the entire country stolen from he tribes *

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikonoklast posted:

Yeah, looking at the numbers right now the US is in more need. I will however admit that my former post was less then aptly put.

I for one will gladly die so that the glorious Evil Empire can continue to prosper despite its government of inhumane liches actively running it into the ground, yes, I am absolutely rational and evenhanded.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lambert posted:

This probably paves the way for massive wealth redistribution in the US: "The poor need your money more, we're forcefully taking it from you". Good!

Yeah, that's not happening at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wat

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

steinrokkan posted:

I for one will gladly die so that the glorious Evil Empire can continue to prosper despite its government of inhumane liches actively running it into the ground, yes, I am absolutely rational and evenhanded.

Medical supplies needs to go where they are most needed was what I said.

Your less than stellar strawman antics are besmirching the good name of political scientist Rokkan btw.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ikonoklast posted:

Your less than stellar strawman antics are besmirching the good name of political scientist Rokkan btw.

Yes, and American lives count for three foreigners.

But glad to hear the US is sending those masks to Iran!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikonoklast posted:

Nobody is hoarding medical equipment, it is needed literally in every country, and I have infinitely higher confidence in the Germans actually utilizing it efficiently than the US government which is going to give the stolen shipment o the ICE most likely.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ICE will then set up stolen ventilators on the other side of the chain link fence from dying immigrants just to taunt them

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody is hoarding medical equipment, it is needed literally in every country, and I have infinitely higher confidence in the Germans actually utilizing it efficiently than the US government which is going to give the stolen shipment o the ICE most likely.
I can agree with you that its use will probably be better organized in Germany, eventhough its still more needed in the states.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikonoklast posted:

I can agree with you that its use will probably be better organized in Germany, eventhough its still more needed in the states.

In case you didn't notice, Europe incl. Germany and all its neighbouring countries is also going through a mass pandemic with tens of thousands of cases, so please shove your American exceptionalism up your rear end and go to hell.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ikonoklast posted:

Medical supplies should go to where they will do the most good, not to where they are most needed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, I assume they aren't actually most needed in the US, but countries like Iran.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

In case you didn't notice, Europe incl. Germany and all its neighbouring countries is also going through a mass pandemic with tens of thousands of cases, so please shove your American exceptionalism up your rear end and go to hell.

Smooth and balanced, thank you.

GlyphGryph posted:

Medical supplies should go to where they will do the most good, not to where they are most needed.

They might do the most good where they are most needed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I enjoy how much you're doubling down on the really dumb thing you said.

Also, the US could start by taking the current crisis seriously and actually implementing some restrictions on movement that have teeth.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah but people want to go to church for easter, are you going to take that away from them???

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Red Cross is organizing plasma collection from people who have recovered from COVID 19 for testing and treatment purposes.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/plasma-donations-from-recovered-covid-19-patients.html

If you know of anyone who has tested positive and recovered, this is a great way for them to contribute to fighting back.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

slowdave posted:

Last I checked there was also an acute covid-19 epidemic in Germany as well. But if the richest country in the world can't resist pulling cowboy poo poo like this, who am I to judge.

It might not actually be the case that US pulled anything:
https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/USA-haben-Schutzmasken-doch-nicht-abgefangen-article21693615.html
... but that an intermediary got greedy and switch the order to a higher bidder w/o worrying about the pre-existing commitment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Depends on province and city I imagine. I work in a pharmacy in a medium sized town and we ordered extra Plaquenil the day after Trump opened his dumb mouth as preparation. We still have all those bottles untouched, just our usual patients coming in for it. I could still order more as of Thursday with no warnings of supply issues too. :shrug:
Howabout Montreal? One semi-famous youtuber PeachSaliva lives there and has Lupus/been quarantined since early March.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1246579721585868800

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have a friend with both =( but i guess they are tied together?

Yeah, "rhupus", which I was initially suspected of having but thankfully don't. One or the other is bad enough but both is just cruel.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I don't get it. Obviously the distances in the y-axis are ridiculous. 160, 190, 240, 250, 300, 350
But that doesn't even mislead in any reasonable way here. The graph looks basically the same on a reasonable graph. This feels pointless.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't get it. Obviously the distances in the y-axis are ridiculous. 160, 190, 240, 250, 300, 350
But that doesn't even mislead in any reasonable way here. The graph looks basically the same on a reasonable graph. This feels pointless.

The graph starts out with increments of 30 on the y axis. Then it becomes increments of 50 but still at the same distance. So what would show accelerating growth looks linear instead. There is no reason whatsoever to do this except either idiocy or intent to deceive.

It is a thing that is done to have the y axis be logarithmic, say the equal increments of distance are 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc. to show a linear graph illustrating logarithmic growth.

But that's not what they're doing here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

it cuts out the middle numbers to make the whole thing look like it's leveling off more than a normal axis. On a regular graph it looks way more up uP UP. On the faked out graph it looks like growth is slowing because they curve the higher numbers closer to the other numbers.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

There are gaps of 10, 30, and 50 on on the y axis. It’s not a normal way to display data, and somebody went through some effort to do that. Why?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zwabu posted:

The graph starts out with increments of 30 on the y axis. Then it becomes increments of 50 but still at the same distance. So what would show accelerating growth looks linear instead. There is no reason whatsoever to do this except either idiocy or intent to deceive.

It is a thing that is done to have the y axis be logarithmic, say the equal increments of distance are 1, 10, 100, 1000 etc. to show a linear graph illustrating logarithmic growth.

But that's not what they're doing here.

Yeah, I know about that. It's just that it's completely pointless here.
This random twitter person summarized it quite well.
https://twitter.com/WWRob/status/1246675364643889152

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cranappleberry posted:

I could be wrong about it being in this thread but someone posted a screenshot of the beginning of a study or paper that said the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin used in combination is not great at treating covid-19

If anyone has a link to the abstract or can tell me which portal they used to access the study/journal then that would be helpful, as I'd like to read it.

This is evidence of nothing. I just want to read the thing.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0399077X20300858

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah, I know about that. It's just that it's completely pointless here.
This random twitter person summarized it quite well.
https://twitter.com/WWRob/status/1246675364643889152

graphs and maps and stuff are so routinely butchered on news programs I have to assume most of the time its just laziness, time-crunch, and incompetence. There's probably some stupid special news caster program they all use where they just enter the x and why scale values manually and as long as the frazzled intern responsible doesn't fill it with greek letters nobody gives a poo poo

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

can you explain "gray market" in this usage? The way I am used to seeing the term used is to describe drugs which neither scheduled nor actually recognized here; the obvious goon example is the benzodiazepine Phenazepam. This would not cover something being acquired from a pharmacy, though -- do you mean off label requests?

Sorry I wasn't clear. Grey market means medications diverted away from manufacturer authorized resellers. E-pharmacies, other countries, illicit retailers who are not actually pharmacies but front as pharmacies.

I don't work in pharmaceuticals, I work in healthcare IT for infection prevention applications, I just picked this info up as part of an internal discussion of current COVID concerns with vendors.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Howabout Montreal? One semi-famous youtuber PeachSaliva lives there and has Lupus/been quarantined since early March.

Every region is going to have slightly different accessibility just due to geography (Canada is loving huge, its easy to forget due to our tiny population) and the difference in provincial healthcare so its hard to say. The current premier of Quebec is very familiar with outbreaks since he was the minister of health services during the SARS epidemic so the guy is not loving around whatsoever, which I would have to assume means he was thinking of the drug supply and chains for his province as well.

Plaquenil is prescription only in Canada so its not like you can just walk into a store to buy it like people were doing in other places. It would be fairly simple for the government to put a temporary ban on off label use prescriptions to ensure lupus patients have access to it if looks like supply might start to get stretched thin.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What ever happened to the 1% death rate

United States numbers halfway thru 4-5

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lube banjo posted:

People who can ride it out at home don’t get tested.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Lube banjo posted:

Testing stopped pushing up the death rate.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Lube banjo posted:

What the hell is dividing "New Deaths" by "New Cases" meant to demonstrate? That stat will go up if new cases go down. New cases going down is a good thing!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lube banjo posted:

When was it 1% death rate?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

hepatizon posted:

What the hell is dividing "New Deaths" by "New Cases" meant to demonstrate? That stat will go up if new cases go down. New cases going down is a good thing!
True that was dumb. It sounded good at the time. And the thread was talking about misleading numbers earlier so this is on topic

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not sure but I had heard that number a lot. I guess the answer lies in one of these replies

Platystemon posted:

People who can ride it out at home don’t get tested.

PyRosflam posted:

Testing stopped pushing up the death rate.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it's long been the thing the right wing (and trump) have been repeating, that the REAL death rate is under 1%

i think they got that from some very limited period where south korea was right around there, when they had it under control but before intubated people start dying? anyways south korea's at 1.7% and that's clearly the best case scenario

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 5, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1246802383214166017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lube banjo posted:

I'm not sure but I had heard that number a lot. I guess the answer lies in one of these replies

No, the answer lies in the fact this is not and has not been a hoax, and the idea this is just a little bit worse than the flu has been repeatedly floated and repeatedly failed to be correct. The death rate varies by age and health and is between .2% for young people and 15% for old people, with a general average being 2.5% for a population. It is not the case that really secretly this really only has a 1% or <1% fatality rate because no one thought to count right and all those dummies are just over reacting to a silly cold. It is not the case that if we just counted better we would find out this wasn't actually so bad, it's actually bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eke out posted:

it's long been the thing the right wing (and trump) have been repeating, that the REAL death rate is under 1%

i think they got that from some very limited period where south korea was right around there, when they had it under control but before intubated people start dying? anyways south korea's at 1.7% and that's clearly the best case scenario

Isn’t this still the Case Fatality Rate?

That is, it’s the dead divided by the number of people that presented with the disease. Asymptomatic infectees aren’t counted.