Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, GARS was killed in the middle of Germany and they slowly transported him to Sweden for burial. Hadn't he been embalmed there would only have been a skeleton left by the time he arrived at Sweden.
pappenheim's funeral procession was the same time, from the same field, but the opposite direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Of course the WW2 US Marine Corp had a genital based nickname for the garrison side cap.

Hint, foreskins.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SeanBeansShako posted:

Of course the WW2 US Marine Corp had a genital based nickname for the garrison side cap.

Hint, foreskins.

The green weenie gonna get cha.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The nickname I've always heard from older retired Marines for that is considerably ruder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Milhist thread: At some point everything has a dick based nickname.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SeanBeansShako posted:

Milhist thread: At some point everything has a dick based nickname.

probably better as "Milhist thread: dick-based nicknames"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's not even dick-based, it's called a c*ntcap afaik

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For bewbies:

Also for the interested, I wrote my next thing on Alcock and Brown. Features discussions of footware for ladies, incredibly dubious stimulants, and a blimp accident:

https://horseformer.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-sa-edit.html

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure whoever drew that didn't understand how torpedos worked at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Saint Celestine posted:

Might have been semi-effective against old style contact triggers. Big loving "might" on that though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

Might have been semi-effective against old style contact triggers. Big loving "might" on that though.

Yeah that's my thought. As for back-breakers? ehhhh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Saint Celestine posted:

That's entirely understandable - in 1940, neither did US Naval Bureau of Ordnance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

It's not even dick-based, it's called a c*ntcap afaik

The nickname I am talking about charmingly refereed to it as the piss cutter.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I really like the idea of using the exhaust system of the 200,000 shaft horsepower steam boiler propulsion system as a torpedo belt.

The 2012 equivalent of this design would be a battleship made up of 500,000 modular steel rooms that you put together like a pipe puzzle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Does the Super Destroyer come with the initial purchase?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

um. . . so this morning I couldn't help but continue to read about early embalming practices, and I stumbled on this article about a truly bizarre 17th century anatomical museum. It features. . . creative dioramas.

quote:

IN 1689, ON THE CANAL Bloemgracht in Amsterdam there was a museum that showcased preserved anatomical specimens in a peculiar manner.

Among jars of embalmed specimens, there were several startling dioramas containing skeletons of infants adorned with delicate and morbid decor. In one of the pieces, depicted below, five skeletons are carefully positioned on a vase foundation made of inflated tissues from human testes. There was a feather headdress, a girdle of sheep intestines, and a spear made of the hardened vas deferens of an adult man.

The skeleton standing at the top of the pile of preserved human remains holds a piece of bone like a violin and a dried artery for a bow. Its head tilted towards the heavens is coupled with the inscription, “Ah Fate, ah Bitter Fate!”

The skeletal scene is from one of Dutch anatomist Frederik Ruysch’s several dioramas, or tableaux—fetal skeletons arranged in still-life positions atop a landscape of preserved plants, bones, and embalmed tissues. Ruysch’s Amsterdam museum was like a 17th-century version of the recent blockbuster exhibition, Body Worlds, by Gunther von Hagen. He treated science as an art, pushing the practice of specimen preservation while arranging his pieces to make a commentary on the beauty of life and death.

“Ah Fate, ah Bitter Fate!” An etching from Thesaurus anatomicus. U.S. NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE/PUBLIC DOMAIN

The full article with more pictures, and links to a full catalogue of illustrations of these dioramas can be found on Atlas Obscura

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This nickname carried through to at least the 90s

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So many options, however they're all genital-based

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is the Assault Amphibious Vehicle a classic battle taxi or is it more of an IFV?

Absolutely a battle-taxi, with a large capacity to make amphibious assaults more viable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Torpedo bulges were alternating layers of liquid (water or oil)-filled and air-filled. As I understand it, the liquid blunts the speed of shrapnel, the air diffuses the area of the explosion (since it's compressible). So yeah, that "bulge" isn't gonna do much against torpedoes.

It's a neat design though, aesthethically speaking.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You can picture Tin Tin for some reason chilling on that thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably better as "Milhist thread: dick-based nicknames"

Milhist thread: Dick jokes throughout history.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nebakenezzer posted:

For bewbies:

I love the 'rounded' turrets that have no space for rotation behind their non-rounded rears. Especially the one wedged between the conning towers, now permanently threatening the aft tower!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In the drawing the turrets are stowed, they aren't shown in their jet-powered hover mode.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I really like the idea of using the exhaust system of the 200,000 shaft horsepower steam boiler propulsion system as a torpedo belt.

The 2012 equivalent of this design would be a battleship made up of 500,000 modular steel rooms that you put together like a pipe puzzle.

See, I was looking at that and thinking 'some sort of guiness world record attempt at carbon monoxide poisoning'

Either because of a leak, a rupture, or a wind blowing directly astern

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

In the drawing the turrets are stowed, they aren't shown in their jet-powered hover mode.

Nah, there's just a couple of scissor jacks on either side of each turret. Lift it up a couple meters and you're good to go! Scissor jacks make for a stable firing platform, right?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Megadreadnaught gonna have some stability problems with the height of C turret, even if it's only a two-gun mount.

Which reminds me that the people who have to pay for the turret designs are looking at the mix of two-gun, three-gun, and four-gun turrets and thinking that in this case, their pencils might not be best used for drafting.

How would you even create those turret shapes?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is the Assault Amphibious Vehicle a classic battle taxi or is it more of an IFV?

It's one of these:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Why are the sides all, idk what the word for that is, ribbed?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

aphid_licker posted:

For her pleasure

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It looks like applique armor of some kind?

e: It's Rafael's Armor Shield P https://www.rafael.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Armor-Shield-P.pdf

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 7, 2020

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

It's an applique armour package called either "Armor Shield P" or "EAAK" depending on the excact configuration. The plates are angled because it means that a penetrator will first have to penetrate an angled plate, then a flat plate. Penetrators don't like doing this, so it increases the armour protection more than a flat plate would. On the AAVP-7A1 it increases the side armour protection from 7.62 NATO AP to 14.5x114 mm Soviet and 155 mm artillery fragments.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

AAVs without an armor kit can be penetrated by a machine gun? That seems like an oversight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Anatomically correct baby skulls make me queasy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wiegieman posted:

AAVs without an armor kit can be penetrated by a machine gun? That seems like an oversight.

you're supposed to drive straight at the beach not gently caress around initital D Okinawa style

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

aphid_licker posted:

This is also the second type of bolt-on/applique armor used by AAVs. From about 1988 to 1992 many of them had this:

It's called "mesh" in the caption, but it's heavy, two sheets each almost 1/4" thick.

More recently there was a proposed upgrade to this:

But that whole program was ditched; they're retiring AAVs in favor of a wheeled piece of garbage:

I suppose retiring the AAV-7 was inevitable, but I'm not happy with the replacement.

LatwPIAT posted:

It's an applique armour package called either "Armor Shield P" or "EAAK" depending on the excact configuration.

No one called it "Armor Shield P." It was universally called EAAK (pronounced "eek").

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 7, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

wiegieman posted:

Do you want it to float or not?

That's the problem. The specs that make a good AFV - low silhouette, armor, etc - make a lovely unstable boat with a low freeboard and very little buoyancy. The AAVs represent compromises between two very different requirements.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're supposed to drive straight at the beach not gently caress around initital D Okinawa style

Sure, but even if you pick a beach that doesn't have a tank on it, it seems pretty likely that there's going to be some dude with an old Soviet machine gun shooting back. That seems like a design criteria.

e: Sniped, but yeah I guess this was the era before composite armor.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cessna posted:

Do you want it to float or not?

That's the problem. The specs that make a good AFV - low silhouette, armor, etc - make a lovely unstable boat with a low freeboard and very little buoyancy. The AAVs represent compromises between two very different requirements.

Did anyone try to make heavy submersible vehicles that would just crawl across the bottom, with battery power or a snorkel for the engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Sure, but even if you pick a beach that doesn't have a tank on it, it seems pretty likely that there's going to be some dude with an old Soviet machine gun shooting back. That seems like a design criteria.

e: Sniped, but yeah I guess this was the era before composite armor.

The side armour is penetratable, not the front. Apart from the Soviet Dolphin Force, there aren't many threats to the side of a beach.

taqueso posted:

Did anyone try to make heavy submersible vehicles that would just crawl across the bottom, with battery power or a snorkel for the engine?

Well this is how some tanks cross rivers. The ocean is much deeper and I think the air pressure in the snorkel column gets too much at a fairly low height.