Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pedestrians always have right of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NecroBob posted:

For what it's worth: the dude at my local social security office said that your birth certificate means gently caress all if you have a social security card. Whatever is on the SSA card is what your name is, as far as government functions are concerned.

Not with new state "RealID" requirements.

Had to get my mother-in-law a state ID, when she got too old to drive. Turns out her 1946 birth certificate didn't match her SS card (BC had an "error" in the spelling of her name). We had to get the name on the SS card changed to match her BC, otherwise go to court for a "legal" name change.

Huge crock of poo poo, really.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Oh yeah, I don't have a RealID yet, so I don't know. If I have to go with the first and middle name crammed into the first name field again on my drivers license, I will lose my loving mind.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

NecroBob posted:

For what it's worth: the dude at my local social security office said that your birth certificate means gently caress all if you have a social security card. Whatever is on the SSA card is what your name is, as far as government functions are concerned.

I can corroborate this from local dealings. In Kentucky, at least. Who knows what the gently caress other states do.

Not in my experience either. My last name was changed when I was two years old and the DMV wouldn't recognize my new name, even though I had official court documents stating my name was legally changed and I had a social security card under the new name. They were willing to give me a drivers license with my birth name however, as long as I had some proof of residency under that name.

My father and I made a day trip out of visiting some relatives 500 miles away in a different state who had the same (new) last name and I got my drivers license there, even though I didn't live in that state anymore.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 15, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Breetai posted:

And trying to explain to them that what they're doing is actually dangerous driving because they're making traffic wildly unpredictable is an exercise in futility.

I really hate these fuckers.

Or when you're waiting to cross the street because there's traffic, and the first car stops and waves you across, and now everyone stopped behind him hates you.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Just found out my(F34) husband (M36) had a kid he abandoned

quote:

tldr: my husband had a baby in highschool, and literally pretended it never happened for almost 20 years

I am in absolute shock, and I don't know how to proceed. Due to the sensitive nature of the subject, I don't want to confide in my friends just yet. Names changed, obviously.

Background: I met my husband in college, but we didn't get together until a few years after I graduated. I've known him since I was nineteen, and we've been married for 8 years. We have two children together (M7 and M4) an I'm sixteen weeks pregnant with our third. I'm very close with his family (My FIL, MIL, and two SILs) and I always kind of idealized them. My own father was kinda absentee after he divorced my mom when I was very young. Even in the early days of our dating, I talked with my husband about how important it was to me, that my future kids father would be ACTIVE in their lives.

Last night, I got a Facebook message from a woman I'll call Anne. It basically just said "Please tell (husband) to message (Joe Lastname), Joe would really like to get in touch." It included a phone number. I showed the message to my husband, and he FREAKED OUT. He's normally a super levelheaded guy, but he just LEFT. I mean, walked out of the house, got in the car, and drove off somewhere (?????) still in his pajamas. I called him maybe 20 times, and when I called his family and told them what happened they all seemed weird too. My MIL told me it was "probably nothing" and to give him some time, which was such an obvious lie I didn't know how to respond. One of his sisters texted me that she would talk to him, and that it was "time for him to tell me."

So obviously my first thought was an affair, and I start freaking out even more. He came home drunk (FROM WHERE???) and you better believe I was furious. About him leaving, the drunk driving, what I thought was an affair, all of it. I want to say that this is incredibly out of character for him. If you talked to me 24 hours ago, I could tell you I could count on my fingers the number of times I've seen him drunk, and we went to COLLEGE together. Definitely he's never done anything even close to this since we've had the kids. Anyways, I confronted him, and he broke down sobbing on the couch. He explained to me: when he was sixteen, he had a one-night stand with a classmate, and she got pregnant (!). He told her to have an abortion (!!) and when she said no, he said he didn't want to be involved at all (!!!). And he didn't. This kid is NINETEEN, so for about twenty years he just...pretended it didn't happen. Pretended he didn't have a son! No visitations, no child support, nothing. (He did not tell me all these details. His younger sister told me some more details, once I called her back).

He said things in this conversation that truly shocked me. I always thought he was a feminist, but he said the most horrible things about this girl he was in highschool with: that she was trying to trap him, that it was on her to "use protection or keep her legs closed" (!!!!) stuff like that. He said he didn't doubt that the kid was his, but that he doesn't have an obligation to do anything, that he shouldn't be "punished" for the rest of his life.

I just keep thinking about this young man (my sons brother!!!) growing up without a father. And for the record, we are a personally pro-life household (and by that I mean I would never have an abortion, but I don't think it's the government's job to make it illegal) so I was also pretty shocked to hear that he wanted this girl to abort the baby. I know that's kind of a small thing in all of this mess, but our eldest was an "oops" baby when I got pregnant shortly after we married and my mind keeps going back to how loving and supportive my husband was. I honestly wish he DID cheat, because I feel like we could have worked through that. But now I feel like I don't know him at all. And his family! They all knew and kept it from me! I keep thinking of new bad aspects of this, the longer I sit here. Quarantine with kids was hard enough. Being pregnant during a pandemic is hard enough. But what the hell am I supposed to do now? I;ve been thinking about messaging Anne back to tell her and Joe that he has siblings. I've been thinking about taking the boys and going to my mother's house. I've been thinking about a lot of things, and I just feel so alone.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I always thought my pro-life husband was a feminist

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, niceholes are a specific thing. Niceholes are people that slam their breaks to let people make lefts in traffic or wave pedestrians through crosswalks when they don’t have right of way. The kind of people who think they’re doing someone a favor but are making it worse for everyone around them.

Ah man, I see a lot of those in Portland (at least back when we were allowed to go outside). The important thing is to be predictable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

don longjohns posted:

I wish that were the case. When the quarantine is over I am requesting a new Social Security Card, finally, because of that new Real ID bullshit

Does SS card count as real ID? I'm still using mine from... I think the original from 40 years ago, and a modern one filling that requirement might be better than getting a new driver's license 6 years before my current one expiress.

E: ah, new page and it looks like I misread. Extra SS hoops to GET a Real ID, not to count as one. Dang.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 15, 2020

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My birth certificate had a typo on it—imagine that whoever wrote it had hosed up the “h” and written “n” instead so instead of “Michael” I was “Micnael”—but that only came up when I was moving to a new state and getting a driver’s license there, so I think people may have been letting it slide before then because it was obviously a typo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son's birth certificate has my maiden name and the wrong married name--I went from first-middle-last to first-last-husband's, and it says first-middle-husband's. I asked about it at the appropriate county office, and they said I could change my name with the SSA, the DMV, every credit card company in the world, but if I didn't do an actual change of name with them via deed poll or whatever, I would always be first-middle-husband's to them. :(

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

I feel like the nice thing to do would be to pick them up for her, then offer to buy them at the resale price from her. If she accepts, great. If she lowers the price because you are dating, great. Either way, you get the jeans you wanted and she doesn't feel cheated.

I don't really get how him doing the work of picking them up for her then charging himself the extra resale price is in any way sort of reasonable? She lost literally nothing in this transaction other than an opportunity to scalp someone. Even if neither of them had bought the jeans at some point I'm sure someone would have came along that'd have appreciated them which is the whole point of thrift stores.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DemoneeHo posted:

You know what, I have respect for people who are like 'I am personally pro-life but I don't think abortions should be illegal'. Like, that's a decision they're making for themselves and that's okay. It's how I was raised and now I've swerved hard left, and even as a teen who thought I had everything figured out I was like 'if we want less abortions why don't we just have better sex ed and more condoms'.

This is unrelated to the actual problem OP is having because I don't think there's any fixing what a poo poo her husband is. Put that man out with the trash.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my sister to get over a fictional character’s death?

quote:

I’m on mobile so I don’t know how to add the spoiler tag, so there’s ish spoilers ahead.

My sister (20F) and I (16F) live together. My sister is a big fan of this famous Spanish show on Netflix. She’s obsessed with it and she binged practically the entire thing in a week. Her absolute favourite character that she was always talking about, died in the last season.

After watching it she ran upstairs to her room and cried for a straight two hours. It’s been two days and she hasn’t left her room and eats all her food inside her room too. It’s getting kind of irritating because whenever she comes downstairs she won’t stop talking about the character who died. Maybe she connected with her especially or related to her, I don’t know but I really feel like she should get over it and this isn’t healthy anyway, grieving a fictitious character that much.

My sister had an abortion two years ago, I don’t know if that’s related to the character at all but she had a son I think. That’s the excuse she’s giving but seriously, she’s mourning like the character is real.

Finally today after she wouldn’t come downstairs for breakfast and sat in her room with the curtains closed, I stomped upstairs and told her to get the gently caress over it, she’s not a real character and it’s just a TV show. She started crying and told me to get out.

Honestly I don’t really think I’m the rear end in a top hat but AITA?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PetraCore posted:

You know what, I have respect for people who are like 'I am personally pro-life but I don't think abortions should be illegal'. Like, that's a decision they're making for themselves and that's okay. It's how I was raised and now I've swerved hard left, and even as a teen who thought I had everything figured out I was like 'if we want less abortions why don't we just have better sex ed and more condoms'.

This is unrelated to the actual problem OP is having because I don't think there's any fixing what a poo poo her husband is. Put that man out with the trash.

That's kinda where I am. I've got my opinion but I know that at BEST I am half of the opinions that matter, and in most cases I'm a Hell of a lot less than that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PetraCore posted:

If you would never have an abortion, but think other people should be allowed to, then you are pro choice because you think its something that people should choose for themselves. Its not like pro-choice means you automatically think all preganancies should be aborted it means you think people who want to have the pregancy should be allowed to choose to have it, and people who dont should be allowed to choose not to.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm pro-death myself, but I realise that its a very uncommon position.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Lone Badger posted:

In 2020? Not so much tbh.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

there's an entire political party for this in the US

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

PetraCore posted:

There’s a difference between abortion shouldn’t be illegal and abortion should be legal, safe, accessible and readily available.

We just legalised(/decriminalised) abortion here a couple of months ago. The people who wanted abortion totally illegal were a fringe group, the main opposition to it wanted abortion legal “but rare” where rare means women have to jump through hoops and prove what impact being required to carry it to term would have on their mental health etc. before it’s allowed. But that’s still “legal.”

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Licarn posted:

There’s a difference between abortion shouldn’t be illegal and abortion should be legal, safe, accessible and readily available.

We just legalised(/decriminalised) abortion here a couple of months ago. The people who wanted abortion totally illegal were a fringe group, the main opposition to it wanted abortion legal “but rare” where rare means women have to jump through hoops and prove what impact being required to carry it to term would have on their mental health etc. before it’s allowed. But that’s still “legal.”

These burdens usually fall hardest on the working poor, so congratulations on your country taking a stand against checks notes women in poverty

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

These burdens usually fall hardest on the working poor, so congratulations on your country taking a stand against checks notes women in poverty

Literally the entire point

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for giving a camgirl money?

quote:

I've never really had that much luck with women, I'm rather ugly/fat and my hobbies are very nerdy so I've always been made fun of for them. There was once a girl I clicked with but she only saw me as a friend and it sort of broke me. Sometime last year I decided to try and get my life in order. I started hitting the gym, diversifying my hobbies, eating right and generally working on myself.

I used to go on a camsite every now and then to let off steam if you will, that's where I saw a girl who looked almost exactly like my former crush. I watched her stream for a while and was entranced by her. She was funny, smart and was unique in the way she did her stream. It was mostly her talking and interacting with viewers rather than just getting naked.

I'd log in every now and then to talk to her, she'd run things like trivia quizzes and I'd always join in. I started off donating a bit of money but it slowly came to about £500 a month. I'm very good with money and earn a good wage so this was the amount I was happy spending each month.

After a few months she sent me her number and we got to chatting. We talked about our lives and I told her about the journey of self improvement I was on and how she was helping. I'd get a text from her every day wishing me luck, offering advice, giving me tips or just checking in on me.

I'm not an idiot, I don't harbour any notions that she's doing this for any other reason than the money, but it's comforting to me and it's like having a big sister helping me out.

I told a close friend about it, but he must have blabbed to everyone else because now all my "friends" are talking about it. A lot of the women in the group are saying how creepy it is, how pathetic it is and how I'd have better luck with women if I'd spend that on actual real women rather than a camgirl.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kenshin posted:

there's an entire political party for this in the US

They're pro death-for-poor-people. I think death should be equally available to all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tinytort posted:

I'd check the food for signs of tampering,

I generally agree with your points. But please explain, in detail, how one does this sufficiently?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

I generally agree with your points. But please explain, in detail, how one does this sufficiently?

Throwing it in the river and if it floats it was tampered with

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Piell posted:

AITA For not telling my brother, who was on his honeymoon, that our father died?

I was out serving my Mormon MissionTM when my grandmother died in a car crash. Now mormons on missions have communication restrictions, you can only call home a couple times a year, letters only once a week. So.... my family didn't call me. They sent me a letter, written a few days after she died, letting me know when the funeral was. It was the day before I had received the letter! :thumbsup:

(yes, they could have called me without anyone "getting in trouble", their behavior is their own)

So although I hadn't been that close with my grandma, I felt her death very strongly. I ended up going through my entire greiving process 100% solo without so much as a hug from another human being. My grandfather was still around, so I took a couple of days to write him a letter about his wife's death. I was intending to write my family expressing my feelings about them having not called me, but that was a lower priority.

Ten days after I got the first letter, I got another one that my sister-in-law had lost her baby at 23 weeks. I had been really emotionally invested in their pregnancy, I was really happy for them. They didn't call me about that either and I obviously wasn't done with the original greiving, and yes I didn't find out until after they had interred the baby. Went through that 100% solo as well without so much as a hug or a talk on the phone. I was totally unable to function for a month. I felt like I'd been stabbed in the heart and I wondered at the time if it was possible to die from emotional misery. I think I had it before but I definitely got way way worse anxiety from the whole experience, in addition to experiencing a significant, permanent personality shift. People who knew me before and after relate that I am a different person now.

Years later I saw some pictures in a photo album of my grandmother's funeral. My whole (large) extended family were there, crying and laughing and hugging each other and being there. I was not there. I was told after the fact and left alone with my greif.

So my thinking is, if this OP hated their brother and wanted to hurt them, or was utterly estranged from them and just didn't care, then they made the right move. If they gave the slightest poo poo about the brothers feelings, then they could not have hosed up worse. They will be lucky if their brother ever talks to them again. Even previously balanced people can engage in self destructive behaviors over this kind of poo poo, they should call themselves lucky if they even have a brother when this is all said and done. This kind of stuff can damage people long-term.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skutter posted:

My brother-in-law's ex-girlfriend would always pretend to joke about trying to have the four of us (him, her, me, and my husband) sit "Regency style" every time we would go out to eat. Regency style is, according to her (I don't actually know), when you split up people who are married or are related for seating arrangements, which was difficult with the four of us because I was married to my husband and related by marriage to my brother-in-law. I say she pretended to joke about it because she would be clearly visibly distraught that we couldn't sit Regency style. She would suggest it every time, and every time it would obviously be impossible because we would be seated at a booth or a four-top, and there was no way to get around that, and she would be obviously bothered by it. This, among many other things, is why I'm glad she is an ex.

Yeah as far as I know that's almost entirely bullshit. The main concern in Regency seating arrangements is that the people with the highest social rank or precedence sit at the highest end of the table and everyone else of lower rank is seated accordingly further down the table (and since you were married and she was unmarried you definitely had a higher social standing than she did!) but there were countless other details that also had to be observed: the order people entered the room, what they were allowed to talk about, who got served first, how the meals should be served, the correct way for the gentlemen to carve each type of roast, etc etc..

People wrote entire books on the correct procedures of Regency dining. Here's one I randomly googled: https://archive.org/details/b2152645x/page/n5/mode/2up

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenocides posted:

The mom broke down with guilt the second money was at stake you say? What an odd and completely unforeseen coincidence.

How did it even get back to her?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

SiKboy posted:

If you would never have an abortion, but think other people should be allowed to, then you are pro choice because you think its something that people should choose for themselves. Its not like pro-choice means you automatically think all preganancies should be aborted it means you think people who want to have the pregancy should be allowed to choose to have it, and people who dont should be allowed to choose not to.
Yes, what I'm saying is there's people who identify as pro-life who are actually pro-choice bc they have been mislead on what that means.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

The Lone Badger posted:

They're pro death-for-poor-people. I think death should be equally available to all.

Good news! Come to the horror thread in the Book Barn. They’ve got a clan tag that’s right up your alley

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

I'd like to know the name of this bar that apparently serves people who walk in wearing pajamas.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having my bridesmaid tell a guest to leave the wedding?

quote:

My wedding was a few months ago, and I deliberately didn't invite my uncle. He'd hit on my wife in a really weird way at a family event that year. (My wife and I are both women for the record)

And on my wedding day, there he is... I guess his brothers invited him along?

One of my friends is a total firecracker, she's brave as anything and not afraid to say what's on her mind. She and two other friends of mine were my bridesmaids and I was telling them about my uncle having shown up, before the ceremony.

She asked what I wanted them to do, they could kick him out, they could ignore him, or anything in between. I said that getting him out would be great. She asked if it would bother me if she drew attention to the whole mess. I said no.

So she marched right up to this guy in the pews and told him in front of everyone "get the gently caress out, you weren't invited for a reason." And he asked what the matter was, what was going on, and she went "you loving know what you did, get your creepy incestous rear end out of here or me and OPs family is getting you out". My other bridesmaids walked over with her but didn't say anything

He left and I asked her later what the "incestous" comment was about, and she was like "Uhh he was trying to screw future family? Gross." And while I thought that was a little of an exaggeration I honestly put the whole thing out of my mind that day.

But apparently that caused a whole lot of gossip and speculation and poo poo in my family. Some of my family members are also upset my friend told my uncle that my family would kick him out, when they would not do that.

AITA for telling my friend she could kick my uninvited uncle out of the wedding?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'd like to know the name of this bar that apparently serves people who walk in wearing pajamas.

He went to a liquor store and then pulled off somewhere to get hammered in his car.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'd guess most as long as your dong isn't flopping out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Xenocides posted:

My [18M] friend [20F] wants me to stay with her so she wouldn’t be alone for now, would it be wrong of me to initiate sex with her?

If only she was sending some kind of signal that she was interested. Alas that it has not happened.

:allears:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having my bridesmaid tell a guest to leave the wedding?

:wow:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From everything I hear working at a liquor store will desensitise you to... everything pretty quickly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From everything I hear working at a liquor store will desensitise you to... everything pretty quickly.

The same is true of shopping at a liquor store, at least if you're doing it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, wow, I was just screwing around. I thought there were only a few hundred Zoroastrians left and didn't know any of them ran restaurants. I am also imprisoned in america. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

There's a pretty big Parsi community in Mumbai and South Bombay is full of Parsi restaurants that have been around since Colonial India which is pretty great. It's funny for me though because I've grown up with many Parsi friends thanks to growing up right in the center of their biggest community.

Some of those shops have food to die for, way better than Rustoms or Sodabottleopenerwala, which are the main chains I've found outside Mumbai. If you ever end up this side, and in the city, there's a ton of great places that still make incredibly traditional parsi food down to the classic bheja (brain) fry.

AITA for telling my husband he should cook more “palatable” food?

quote:

So, I’ve been the cook for most of our relationship— but we’ve all (my household) decided to get into new hobbies. My husband chose cooking. Which I think is great!

Now, he’s a grown man. So he can of course cook basic things. He wanted to get more into actual dishes / gourmet stuff.

So far, he’s been doing awesome. He started out making small portions of whatever he’s cooking just so he wouldn’t waste food in case it didn’t turn out right, and the first thing he made for the whole family (me, our 7 and 5 year old kids) was a really great risotto. He asked if he could be the one to make dinner for us each night and I said sure, go for it!

Lately though (over the past week and a half) he’s been making....more experimental dishes. He made something deceivably called “sweetbread” which honestly wasn’t bad, but the texture...and our kids just absolutely would not finish it. He said that’s fine, I’ll make you a PBJ if you don’t like what I make at dinner. The kids have now had sandwiches for dinner five days in a row.

After sweetbread, he made

Incredibly spicy Rogan Josh, which I actually liked, but again— no kid can eat anything that spicy when they haven’t been raised on it.

Blood sausage. Apparently it’s a Korean dish, but don’t hold me to it.

Tripe.

Hoppin’ John topped with alligator tail.

Okay, I’m all for exposing your kids to new cuisine. We didn’t raise them on nuggets and Mac n cheese. But....they should eat the things that they like sometimes. And while I’m happy to grin and bear it through the strangest meals, (and some of them are actually tasty), i understand why a 7 and 5 year old would not. They’ve already been such good sports about tasting everything.

I approached my husband and asked if he could tone it down a bit. He says i “really took the wind out of his sails” and i should support him trying something new. I made the argument that our kids really should be eating better dinners than sandwiches, and his reply was “they can eat what I cook. It’s not like it’s poison.” I told him while he’s experimenting he should make an “out-there” dish for himself and something more palatable for the family. He said I’m being pretty closed minded about food, and making him feel like he can’t cook.

He’s bummed, the kids are miserable and I feel like a jerk for making my husband think we hate his food. AITA?