Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

My [37M] wife [33F] is quarantining with her personal trainer [25M]

For those curious, this is what a C in creative writing looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I snitched on my friend, possibly getting him expelled, because he caused our online class to be hacked by people online?
It's fine to tattle cause the "friend" is terrible person but lol at the people so scared they "can't attend class" again. It's some internet assholes being edgelords and some politically savvy students looking to get a free pass for the semester. Honestly if it works out like that I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising students catch on and leak the rest of their classes.

Driven from their homes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArbitraryC posted:

It's fine to tattle cause the "friend" is terrible person but lol at the people so scared they "can't attend class" again. It's some internet assholes being edgelords and some politically savvy students looking to get a free pass for the semester. Honestly if it works out like that I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising students catch on and leak the rest of their classes.

Driven from their homes.

A lot of people just completely lose their poo poo over the idea of random internet people being mean. I'm not sure how much is performative, how much is being broke-brained, or both.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

For those curious, this is what a C in creative writing looks like

That’s being incredibly generous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

artsy fartsy posted:

My [37M] wife [33F] is quarantining with her personal trainer [25M]

:ughh:

\/\/ I'm guessing hurting her black roommate was part of her racist "kink"

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 18, 2020

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for calling my friends racist?

Wait....is the white roommate trying to see if the op wants a threesome or something? This seems weird she would mention it and the response makes me think it was a probing question for her white-domme/wannabe-slaveowner boyfriend.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

ArbitraryC posted:

Driven from their homes.

If I got hit with a bunch of slurs and threats I'd be pretty upset? Not everyone has been playing shooty-shoot games on voice and become immune to racial slurs and rape threats and poo poo by the wizened age of 13.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

My wife punched someone in the throat for squeezing her baby bump
Don't loving touch people without their permission.

God drat that wife is a good wife. Also her giant brass balls probably make her husband insecure.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

coolusername posted:

If I got hit with a bunch of slurs and threats I'd be pretty upset? Not everyone has been playing shooty-shoot games on voice and become immune to racial slurs and rape threats and poo poo by the wizened age of 13.

Yeah id pretend to be scarred for life to get out of class too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah id pretend to be scarred for life to get out of class too.

Lol gently caress off

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

teen witch posted:

Welcome to plus size clothing, heinous patterns and confusing sizing for aaallllll!!!

I’m currently in a stage of my life where I think I don’t own a dress with dots on it for the first time. Plus size “”””alternative”””” retailers are big on shoving fat girls into blah rockabilly looking garbage and it’s like please ok I said I like one stray cats song, maybe two, please no more spots and cherries and that’s it.

I want to look like a type b personality Wendy O Williams. Somehow this is asking for the impossible.

Wendy O was topless+blood and shorts like 50% of the time so I don't know why you're having trouble finding clothes for that look.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

coolusername posted:

oh you know obviously those silly student should just be able to brush off having racial slurs and rape threats screamed at them very easily, since they're just not a big deal lmao

ffs ArbitraryC lmao the sheer whiteness of that post

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Evil Willow posted:

[UPDATE] The hiring manager [30sF] where I [30sF] am interviewing is someone I fired last year.The hiring manager [30sF] where I [30sF] am interviewing is someone I fired last year.

This post must be fake. The internet has taught me that people can't improve there tarnished evil souls, things only get worse, and humanity is doomed to gruesome self annihilation. This post appears to be the opposite of that and thus impossible.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Armadillo Tank posted:

This post must be fake. The internet has taught me that people can't improve there tarnished evil souls, things only get worse, and humanity is doomed to gruesome self annihilation. This post appears to be the opposite of that and thus impossible.

Don’t worry she’s going to fire her on the 89th day of the trial

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for correcting my coworker on my NAME?

Anna knows your name, and she know it holds power. She says she doesn't believe you because she wants to steal your name, your life, your soul. She's plotting to do so, and every day you allow he to call you by a false name you give a little bit of yourself up. Soon enough you'll simply be a husk, ambling around and without dignity. Do not allow this to happen. There are precautions you can take to prevent her from acting this way, but they are beyond the norms of polite society. She is using your unwillingness to force a confrontation against you. Soon you will be too weak to resist, and she will have won. End this fight now. Strike hard. Strike fast. Strike soon.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
TIFU by visiting my girlfriend at work

quote:

Last night my girlfriend of 3 years and I were sleeping together in our bed. Out of nowhere she starts having what I'm guessing was a pretty wicked nightmare. She starts tossing around and shaking all over. An hour of hair stroking and cuddling later, she finally seems to calm.

When her alarm wakes us both for her early-than-usual workday, she's very distant and doesn't seem to want to talk before she leaves with a sad hug. She's definitely doesn't seem okay.

Boyfriend instincts kick in! I race to the kitchen, pull out her favourite muffin recipe and do the best my un-talented, sleep-deprived self can do. I pick up some beautiful flowers on the way and get to her work about 4 or 5 hours after she left.

When I get to the restaurant she works at, I can't find her car parked anywhere nearby. I walk in, failing to hide my little pick-me-up attempt and order a coffee as a bluff. The barista doesn't fall for it. She tells me my girlfriend wasn't there yet, and wasn't due to start for another 30 minutes. I laugh it off, and leave. On my way out, I see her and the head chef (about 20 years older than her) walking in from his car, holding hands and laughing, before she plants and big kiss on his crinkled lips.

Then she sees me. The colour leaves her face and she doesn't move a muscle. If she was fine before she definitely isn't now.

I hand the flowers to the chef, giving them both what I'm guessing was a pretty horrid attempt at a fake smile and walk away. I still haven't heard from my 'girlfriend'.

TLDR: Man surprises cheating girlfriend at work with flowers and a home-made muffin only to deliver them to the geriatric boss she's been sleeping with.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for clearing out my ex-boyfriend’s childhood room in the home where he grew up?

quote:

I moved in with my significant other of 2 years after my pay was reduced in February due to everything that’s been happening and it didn’t make financial sense for me to live in my own apartment anymore. My SO asked me to move in with him so I took up his offer. My SO is my ex-bf’s dad, and I’m now living in the home where my ex-bf grew up.

My ex doesn’t visit the house at all. I suggested to my SO that we should move everything out of my ex’s childhood room, let me use it to store some of my stuff, and let me use it as my personal office/lounging room. My SO agreed. So I boxed up everything in my ex-bf’s childhood room and moved them to the garage, including the furniture.

I’ve redecorated the room and made it mine. Before I even moved his things, I emailed my ex about this and told him he should come by and take a look at what he wants to keep and/or sell and/or donate. After not hearing from him for three weeks, today he texts me calling me all sorts of names for clearing out and taking “his” room.

I’m really trying to be sensitive and nice here, but he is making this very difficult with his rage-filled outbursts and texts. My SO and I are giving him a year to clear out his childhood stuff from the garage before I donate everything. Neither my SO nor I feel clearing out his room was inappropriate, but my ex is just melting down in an tantrum-filled rage. Why does my ex feel like he owns his childhood room when he doesn’t even visit? It is very sad and bizarre.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

whew

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA: Not allowing wife's friends sleep over, because they always speak their native language?

quote:

My wife and I speak different languages natively and her friends are mostly from her country. So when they get together they speak their native language, even though all of them know 2 other languages fluently, which I understand. Needless to say after some very short small talk, the conversations changes to native and I am completely excluded sitting and staring at the wall. Every now and then someone will ask me why I am so quite or if I am shy and if I am having a good time. Infuriating to say the least.

From my side, when I have family over, we used to try to speak a language she understands and I tried translating, but after a while I stopped caring, because nobody ever tried to accommodate for me from her side.

My current strategy is simply trying to minimize my time sitting, listening to a foreign language, which lead me to refuse having her friends come over for a sleep over, leaving early, when we are visting others, etc. That's kind of a dick move, but I just hate being ignored like that for hours, having the noise and not understanding anything and I take it seriously personally, even though I know how it is, and I have done the same thing when speaking my native language.

From her side, she feels the same way and doesn't want to come to family events and is super bored when she does, but she can't understand my side at all, she thinks I am just anti social with her friends lol.

So currently I have simply accepted, that cultures don't mix and I just try to be "segregated" as much as possible.

So AITA here for taking this so seriously and personally? I get pissed just thinking about it. Should I just learn to ignore people at the house and do my own thing?

I am so torn, because I am not a native in this country either and I know exactly what its like, including having to speak a foreign language to your family in order to accommodate someone else (it just feels awkward doing it and sooner or later people just start talking natively again). Honestly, I am at a point where I think that mixing cultures like that is a bad idea, and I am not sure anybody is to blame. If you want your spouse to be part of your friend group and family, its not actually possible.

Anyway, AMITA?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If only there was a way to learn other languages.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting to sleep in a loving tent?

quote:

Okay, here goes. This pissed me off to no end but I think mostly because it was unexpected. I think if they'd just been honest there wouldn't have been a problem.

So I was planning on going home to see my family for a bit. My parents moved recently into a smaller place so no longer live in the family home, and there's nowhere for me to stay. My brother also recently moved and I had yet to see his new place, which he said was massive. He's got two kids so I assumed as much.

He offers to let me stay with him rather than getting a hotel. Obviously, money is money so I eagerly accepted his offer. He specifically said he had a spare bed. You can probably see where this is going bearing in mind the title of this post.

I get to his house, ask where I should dump my bag, and he shows me to the bed. The bed is actually an airbed, which is outside, in the back garden, inside a flimsy loving tent. There is a single pillow and a sleeping bag.

I mean jesus. So I laughed, I thought it was a prank and felt completely played. Fair enough, I thought. Just another in a long and storied tale of brothers getting one over on each other. Not something we have done much in our family, but to be fair after the initial surprise I ended up thinking it was quite funny. I did try and sleep outside but found it kinda rough, so I ended up coming back inside in the middle of the night and sleeping on the sofa.

I should say that he left the backdoor unlocked for me so I could use the kitchen, the bathroom, etc.

Anyway. Next morning I wake up and he tells me I've got to go. As in, leave the house altogether. It's like 7am. Turns out his wife has completely freaked out because I'm sleeping on the sofa. It's a brand new sofa and people can't sleep on it?? As if that's a thing. I tell him to gently caress off because I'm sleeping. He is not joking though and I realise this finally. And yes, I literally get my things together and go.

The next day my mother tells me my brother was seriously offended that I didn't sleep in the tent, talked about all the effort he'd put into it and how he'd been planning it for ages. Like, he wasn't joking before. He really seriously thought it was cool to offer a spare bed and show me to a tent.

I'm not the rear end in a top hat for sleeping on the sofa, right? Do I owe my brother an apology? I feel like I'm probably going to apologise because his feelings have been hurt, just to make him feel better and save face. But surely I don't actually owe him one? It was a loving tent!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for clearing out my ex-boyfriend’s childhood room in the home where he grew up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've never been the type to necessarily mind sleeping in a tent, even enjoying having my own portable holiday room of a sort, but it's really not something you ever want to be surprised with.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Randler posted:

It sounds like they have a common second language to me, but they both snap back to their native languages with their friends.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Randler posted:

Both sides are multilingual there, so they should know better.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Evil Willow posted:

Yeah? Well I hosed your dad!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Evil Willow posted:

Children can be so difficult.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Almost as fun as “my older stepson won’t call me dad.”

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Pranks are just always so much fun and such a good idea!

My brother-in-law [35 M] played a prank in which I [32 F] thought my sister 35 F] had died which caused me to faint and have to go to the ER. I refuse to have contact with him

quote:

Pretty much the title says it all.

My sister had a high-risk pregnancy and I was extremely stressed about it, particularly because of COVID and how precarious hospital situations have been. Two weeks ago she had a C-section and her husband called me to say how it went, and he said something like "I'm sorry to tell you this, but the baby is okay... your sister didn't make it through" (in a serious voice).

Well, I have low blood pressure, and anxiety on a normal day, and I literally fainted once I'd absorbed what he said, which caused me to hit my head on the counter. A true comedy of errors. My husband insisted on taking me to the ER. We had to wait for hours because they were so overwhelmed with COVID, and I definitely felt like it was a mistake to even go to the hospital, but my husband was scared I might have a concussion. I did not have a concussion fortunately.

While we were driving to the ER I got several texts from my brother-in-law saying it was a joke and everything was fine, baby and sister were totally fine.

I never had a great rapport with my sister's husband before this, but now I refuse to talk to him. He keeps trying to jump on our videochats and apologize but in a "oh come on it was a joke" kind of way. My sister is upset and says that it was a dumb thing in the moment and I should just move on. She keeps asking me how long I can just ignore him and says this is going to affect our future relationship if I can't get over it.

I don't know what to do because I want a relationship with my sister but I truly CANNOT get over this. I feel angry and near tears every time I even think of it. I feel so overwhelmed about what to do to preserve my relationship with my sister but I don't know how to get over this.

[TL;DR Brother in law plays an awful prank and I can't get over it]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That tent one is hosed up lol!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Both sides are multilingual there, so they should know better.

Learning another language to a level where you can engage in that kind of conversation properly takes years, (or least several months of really intensive work) so I can understand their reluctance. This is just a guess, but I suspect they've also gotten into a situation where neither side wants to learn the other's language, because that would be letting the other person win, like "why should I learn their language, when they won't learn mine?"

On the other hand, both trying to learn each other's languages is pretty much the only way I can see the salvage this, since this sounds like it could be a relationship ender.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
He should be happy it wasnt a new air matress or else it wouldve been the lawn for you buddy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I love sleeping outside. To the point I would rather be outside than in. If you pulled a surprise tent on me that is a different story. What the gently caress.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't get the whole tent thing. Even if you didn't want someone sleeping on the sofa (which lol, good luck with two kids), why not put the air mattress in the living room or a spare bedroom or whatever?

There's gotta be some kind of additional context here like "she's hated me for years" or "previously pissed in the bed on the last trip" or something.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Completely kicked out for sleeping on the couch without a ultimatum. It's toss up on who is insane, I'm assuming OP is because they probably would've included why the brother/SIL is insane if they had something.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

Completely kicked out for sleeping on the couch without a ultimatum. It's toss up on who is insane, I'm assuming OP is because they probably would've included why the brother/SIL is insane if they had something.

The only way I can rationalize them keeping them outside and off the furniture is if they're one of those people who doesn't bathe for weeks at a time

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah? Well I hosed your dad!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TL3fOAdzFEE
Don’t be mad that I hosed your dad

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

henkman posted:

The only way I can rationalize them keeping them outside and off the furniture is if they're one of those people who doesn't bathe for weeks at a time

It looks like this was a recent post, so maybe there are coronavirus concerns that the brothers don't care about but the wife does? :shrug:

Comedy option: the narrator was visiting his brother in their new Lansing, MI home to attend the rally against the stay at home order

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cumshitter posted:

I prefer not having prices on the menu but I like to haggle. I once argued a five course meal and a couple bottles of wine down to me leaving and taking my crying husband with me.

have you ever considered doing stand-up with this character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for shouting at my younger daughter for praising her sister's "beauty"?

quote:

I am the mother of two girls aged 11 and 19. My elder daughter is an aspiring model while my younger daughter wants to be a sportswoman. I think she works out a bit too much for such a young girl. My 19-year-old prides herself on her good looks and is always trying out new clothes and hairstyles. I have often asked her to concentrate a bit more on sharpening her physical and intellectual abilities, but she pays no heed to my advice.

Since they have been locked up at home for more than a month, the girls had a few friendly competitions with each other. At first, I wasn't too worried. The girls played chess and a few other intellectual games. Every evening, they would go into the room, play their game and come out again in time for dinner. The older girl would go all red in her face and giggle a lot while the younger girl would declare that she "defeated" her sister at chess, checkers, or Connect 4. Apparently, my 19-year-old lost all the games. I found this range because a 19-year-old cannot lose so badly to an 11-year-old.

I told my older daughter that she need not let her younger sister win always. She replied that she never lets her win. I don't think she will ever admit that she lets her sister win.

Yesterday, my 19-year old admitted that her younger sister was smarter but she was perhaps "stronger". The younger girl was not content with that. She felt she was stronger than a girl who was eight years older and much heavier too. I just wanted my older daughter to bring her out of this fairy-tale world she currently inhabits. I warned her not to lose intentionally this time.

They thought of a game in which they would push each other towards the opposite walls from the middle of the room. And the one whose back would touch the wall would lose. To my surprise, the older one started losing here as well. I kept telling her not to step back any further or else she would lose. But she kept stepping back when her sister pushed her. Her face had that expression as if she were trying extremely hard. Soon, she was pushed against the wall and admitted defeat.

As expected, the younger girl went over the moon with her celebrations. She wanted a "loser's kiss" from her sister. Her sister was visibly embarrassed and was smiling sheepishly when she kissed her. How could she expect a kiss from a person whom she has "defeated"? Didn't she notice her sister's embarrassment? The only consolation the 11-year-old offered her sister was that "You are one of the prettiest looking girls I've ever seen".

That was just too much. I shouted at her for suggesting that her sister is pretty but physically weak and intellectually dumb. I told her that intelligence and physical fitness are more desirable than beauty. I chided her for not realizing that her older sister let her win. The 11-year old burst into tears at once and ran away to her room. The older girl told me I was being too harsh and that I ought to have congratulated her sister for her "convincing" victory. Apparently, she did not let her win. She thinks I cannot accept the fact that she was physically overpowered by an 11-year-old. She is now busy convincing her sister that all her defeats were genuine losses. AITA for shouting at my daughter?