Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

It felt weird when AS asked for my flavor, like she was trying to force some kind of meaningful reaction.

To me, at least, a Miller claim doesn't invite much speculation. Would you agree? It's been a while since I played with one, but it was usually a non-event in the past, or else invoked the same 1-2 pages of arguing about Miller claims. Why would my flavor inform your opinion? I could be scum and a foreigner, I didn't even say where I was from.

Which, to that point, I noticed that AS kept mentioning the scum team name. Obviously AS could just be more observant than me, I probably do too many drugs, but I had to go back and re-read the flavor to get that Ducat were scum.

##vote atomic soda

I don't think asking for flavour is weird in eccogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
can we have words for how soda asked for flavor

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think asking for flavour is weird in eccogames

Can you expand on that thought, especially within the context of what differentiates flavor within an eccogame? Does my Miller status change anything within the context of soda asking for flavor? Would you have asked for flavor?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I don't understand this sentence.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Can you expand on that thought, especially within the context of what differentiates flavor within an eccogame? Does my Miller status change anything within the context of soda asking for flavor? Would you have asked for flavor?

eccogames have a particular genre-flavour to them that i, personally, wouldn't be great at making up on the spot to match a false claim

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Can I ask what you're trying to accomplish with this dialog? Is it just posting for the sake of posting, or are you drawing larger inferences from the conversation? It feels like we pretty much agree so I'm not sure why we can't close this loop.

Nothing specific, just poking at what little content there is to be poked at so far while I wait for something to ping me.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

eccogames have a particular genre-flavour to them that i, personally, wouldn't be great at making up on the spot to match a false claim

Eccogames are flavored as gently caress.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Spoonsy posted:

Eccogames are flavored as gently caress.

flavored to perfection :discourse:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Easy on the breadcrumbing there

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I take the point, but I would argue that's less true of most games that aren't based in an existing property. If we're playing, say, Super Mario 2(aka Doki Doki Panic yes I know) Mafia, where all the villains are the town, as Mafia Luigi I'm going to be afraid to claim Clawgrip because that role might actually excuse. Here, it's like an outback steakhouse.

I don't see how 'suspicious foreigner' is that much of a pull. I mean, off the top of my head, here are some flavor examples that could also work for Miller:

Disgraced guardsman who was asleep at their post during unsociable Ducat antics and is suspected as a sympathizer
Corrupt financier supplying aid to the Ducats for personal profit
The owner of a small print shop that allows the production of Ducat literature in the name of free exchange of ideas

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

drat somber should write flavor for a game around the Duckists

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

I take the point, but I would argue that's less true of most games that aren't based in an existing property. If we're playing, say, Super Mario 2(aka Doki Doki Panic yes I know) Mafia, where all the villains are the town, as Mafia Luigi I'm going to be afraid to claim Clawgrip because that flavor role might actually exist. Here, it's like an outback steakhouse.

Mafia edit

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I take the point, but I would argue that's less true of most games that aren't based in an existing property. If we're playing, say, Super Mario 2(aka Doki Doki Panic yes I know) Mafia, where all the villains are the town, as Mafia Luigi I'm going to be afraid to claim Clawgrip because that role might actually excuse. Here, it's like an outback steakhouse.

I dunno about that. Games where there's a high likelihood of invented fakeclaims duplicating a genuine role usually have mod-provided fakeclaims. Sometimes invented IP games do too, but not always. E.g. in my games I often tell the Scum what kind of roles they could likely get away with claiming, but let them concoct their own flavor... adds a skill element, as high-effort scum will come up with better flavor rationales than lazy scum.

Don't think I've ever been scum in an Ecco game so I don't know if fakeclaims are the norm for her, but it doesn't say so in the OP, so it seems to me there's a non-zero chance that pressing someone for flavor could result in a scum-slip.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

Don't think I've ever been scum in an Ecco game so I don't know if fakeclaims are the norm for her, but it doesn't say so in the OP, so it seems to me there's a non-zero chance that pressing someone for flavor could result in a scum-slip.

I don't think I agree, but I understand where you're coming from.

Do you think if everyone immediately claimed their flavor, we would catch more than one scum?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I don't think I agree, but I understand where you're coming from.

Do you think if everyone immediately claimed their flavor, we would catch more than one scum?

Depends on whether the Scum have fakeclaims or not and how detailed we demand everyone be... if there are no fakeclaims and we insist everyone go into so much detail that they're effectively paraphrasing the entire flavor portion of their PM even if not quoting it verbatim, then yes, there'd probably be one or more inconsistencies with other flavor or "un-Eccolike" detail that would give some Scum away.

However, if the Scum do have fakeclaims it'd just make it easier for them to find power roles.

More importantly, if we did it and it did break the setup and catch all the Scum, it'd ruin what's clearly been a lot of work for Ecco, and guarantee that in future, her and anyone else doing high-effort, high-flavor setups would need to include fully detailed fakeclaim flavor which would increase the workload and reduce the number of good setups we all get to play.

But as a hypothetical, yes, a mass flavor claim would probably reveal some scum in a setup like this, if they don't have detailed fake identities.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

Hello, I also don’t understand this sentence, what do you mean here?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

xopods posted:

Depends on whether the Scum have fakeclaims or not and how detailed we demand everyone be... if there are no fakeclaims and we insist everyone go into so much detail that they're effectively paraphrasing the entire flavor portion of their PM even if not quoting it verbatim, then yes, there'd probably be one or more inconsistencies with other flavor or "un-Eccolike" detail that would give some Scum away.

However, if the Scum do have fakeclaims it'd just make it easier for them to find power roles.

More importantly, if we did it and it did break the setup and catch all the Scum, it'd ruin what's clearly been a lot of work for Ecco, and guarantee that in future, her and anyone else doing high-effort, high-flavor setups would need to include fully detailed fakeclaim flavor which would increase the workload and reduce the number of good setups we all get to play.

But as a hypothetical, yes, a mass flavor claim would probably reveal some scum in a setup like this, if they don't have detailed fake identities.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. I don't agree with your ultimate conclusion that a mass flavor claim would help identify scum. I believe I've illustrated that it's not that challenging to come up with a believable flavor profile on the spot, but maybe that's not a universal quality.

We've gone pretty far off road though out into the badlands of this hypothetical exercise, so just to bring it back home, I found it a little suspicious that Soda didn't take the Miller claim at face value and felt the request for flavor to satisfy her suspicion rang false in part because of that.

I was hoping that this conversation would garner more reactions from soda and others, but I didn't get much out of soda's non-commentary. I am a bit wary of those who spoke up during the discussion but didn't address any of the content, but maybe it's just not that interesting?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MisterJed posted:

Hello, I also don’t understand this sentence, what do you mean here?

because

it's soda

stop reading to deep in my bullshit

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hey I just technically completed my second year of law school so try not to expect too much from me today. I will be stoned out my gourd and probably a fair bit drunk later.

Will be down to clown tomorrow (May 2nd, not D2)

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
I’ve heard that mass role claims usually have good results :ohdear:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gamerofthegame posted:

because

it's soda

stop reading to deep in my bullshit

No like the actual parsing, can you rephrase?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

Hey I just technically completed my second year of law school so try not to expect too much from me today. I will be stoned out my gourd and probably a fair bit drunk later.

Will be down to clown tomorrow (May 2nd, not D2)

Congrats! I remember those days.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Yikes, are there a lot of lawyers or law students playing mafia? It makes sense, this is about argument and persuasion

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Isn't YPM one too?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

MisterJed posted:

Yikes, are there a lot of lawyers or law students playing mafia? It makes sense, this is about argument and persuasion

I’m a nurse.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Ixtlilton posted:

Isn't YPM one too?

He just won a game as scum and successfully lead the charge to execute me near the end. L*nch all lawyers

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

MisterJed posted:

He just won a game as scum and successfully lead the charge to execute me near the end. L*nch all lawyers

Okay Dick the Butcher :cheers:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Somber, the foreigner is a recurring character in ecco games. You're basically confirmed town at this point, and scum would be a fool not to night kill you tonight.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Other than that I am doing well. I am living on a farm and living a humble farm life with less than 1mbs down, it isn't much but I find simple pleasures.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toalpaz posted:

Other than that I am doing well. I am living on a farm and living a humble farm life with less than 1mbs down, it isn't much but I find simple pleasures.

That sounds lovely. I used to have a distaste for farm life, as my grandparents are dairy farmers and it seems by turns miserable and bleak, but as time goes on I find myself more and more wanting some kind of retreat to nature. I wonder if I would write more in that environment.

I'm glad to hear that you are well. Good luck to you this sowing season, may your crops and your person both be healthy come Autumn.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

MisterJed posted:

Jed! continuing to prove his intuitive ability as a mafia player

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Somber, the foreigner is a recurring character in ecco games. You're basically confirmed town at this point, and scum would be a fool not to night kill you tonight.

wow bad post

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Pinterest Mom posted:

wow bad post

Very odd. And somber’s posting doesn’t seem particularly townie after a Miller claim.

I will explain soon.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Jed! continuing to prove his intuitive ability as a mafia player

I don’t think I’ve said this yet but I appreciate the Jed! Stuff. Once I actually win a game I need to make a version of that Jeb! Meme where he wins all 50 states, but with Phil Hellmuths face. Also congrats on getting through year 2 of law school

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Somber seems like town

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

MisterJed posted:

I don’t think I’ve said this yet but I appreciate the Jed! Stuff. Once I actually win a game I need to make a version of that Jeb! Meme where he wins all 50 states, but with Phil Hellmuths face. Also congrats on getting through year 2 of law school

god I want that image to exist so bad

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

wow bad post

Can you vocalize what's bad that post? I thought my friend Toalpaz was just being silly.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Lol
Lots of lawyers

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

Lol
Lots of lawyers