Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Although he was under contract at Chelsea, Bogarde lived in his penthouse in Amsterdam. "I would fly in every morning, and I was never late to training," he recalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How long is a helicopter flight from Amsterdam to London

Even a fast military chopper only cruises at 120kts, civilian ones normally cruise around 100, so about three and a half hours excluding travel both ends. As Battersea heliport, quite near Chelsea, doesn't take international arrivals he'd have to land at London City or Stapleford, so add at least an hour to get across London.

Private jet works out a bit better - Schiphol to London City is 45 minutes - but again that's still an hour in London traffic plus however long it takes to get to Schiphol. Also you're looking at about £10k in airport fees *per day* before you even get into the cost of running the jet itself.

e: Because I just can't stop myself, here's some cutting-edge back-of-the-fag-packet calculations:

Helicopter works out at £10k - and 7 hours travel - a day, and that's assuming he can just land it in his back garden.

Plane works out at £16k and 3 hours travel per day, assuming he's willing to slum it in a taxi at either end.

Obviously doing it on commercial flights into LCY is much cheaper, about £800/day, but then you have to add at least an extra hour and a half onto the travel each day.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 30, 2020

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

greazeball posted:

They could have just bought him out for $6 mil but they're paying him $25 mil instead. That seems... bad? Deferred money is still money, it's not worthless.

The idea is you use that 6 million for other purposes. The article says they discounted it 8% a year (a reasonable amount). 1 million for 25 years, discounting 8% is about 10 million in present value.

They took that 6 million and gave it to Madoff because he promised year over year gains of 14%. That 6m would be worth 158 million in 25 years, giving it a present value of ~23 million (using the same 8% discount rate).

Deferring money is really common in baseball for the above reason.

I'm a huge loving nerd. Don't put your money in ponzi schemes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even a fast military chopper only cruises at 120kts, civilian ones normally cruise around 100, so about three and a half hours excluding travel both ends. As Battersea heliport, quite near Chelsea, doesn't take international arrivals he'd have to land at London City or Stapleford, so add at least an hour to get across London.

Private jet works out a bit better - Schiphol to London City is 45 minutes - but again that's still an hour in London traffic plus however long it takes to get to Schiphol. Also you're looking at about £10k in airport fees *per day* before you even get into the cost of running the jet itself.

e: Because I just can't stop myself, here's some cutting-edge back-of-the-fag-packet calculations:

Helicopter works out at £10k - and 7 hours travel - a day, and that's assuming he can just land it in his back garden.

Plane works out at £16k and 3 hours travel per day, assuming he's willing to slum it in a taxi at either end.

Obviously doing it on commercial flights into LCY is much cheaper, about £800/day, but then you have to add at least an extra hour and a half onto the travel each day.

The aviation man

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Winston Bogarde did in fact live in London at least on the weekdays

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The aviation man

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Winston Bogarde did in fact live in London at least on the weekdays

Yeah, also I forgot that of course the team don't train at Stamford Bridge, they train at Cobham which is even further out of London. Biggin Hill is about an hour away though, so the calculations still work out about the same (cheaper fees at Biggin Hill though).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Antonio Donnarumma gets paid a million euros a year because he is related to Gigio Donnarumma. That’s literally the only reason why. He is most certainly the highest paid third choice goalkeeper in serie a history.

He did stop an inter penalty in a derby cup match that we win 1-0 though so that was good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogarde is a legend imo

:agreed:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Gigi Galli posted:

Antonio Donnarumma gets paid a million euros a year because he is related to Gigio Donnarumma. That’s literally the only reason why. He is most certainly the highest paid third choice goalkeeper in serie a history.

He did stop an inter penalty in a derby cup match that we win 1-0 though so that was good.

True but Antonio's about as good/bad as any other third choice keeper and a million a year is a dirt cheap price to keep Gigio happy

e: Antonio's the older brother right? Pretty soon he'll be the highest paid U23 goalkeeping coach in whatever division Gigio is playing in by then

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sassassin posted:

The failure documentaries (Sunderland, Leeds) are way better than watching the big sides suck themselves off and pretend a £50m fullback getting injured is some serious drama.

That Man City one is loving horrific, just puffing themselves up as the greatest ever when they can’t even defend the league or get to the champions league semis.

Apart from anything else they’re released far too late after the season in question, it’s hard to get onto anything when the season has recently passed, you can remember how it turned out and you know what happens.

Maybe they’d be better in 10+ years.

Same with the NFL ones from the same production team - you know drat well that the team were poo poo, did nothing.

Hard Knocks at least has some real stakes for the players who get cut, and is only a week or two out of date.

Haha, Leeds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't wait for newcastle to do all the football price crimes and win the league and be smug about it

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

True but Antonio's about as good/bad as any other third choice keeper and a million a year is a dirt cheap price to keep Gigio happy

e: Antonio's the older brother right? Pretty soon he'll be the highest paid U23 goalkeeping coach in whatever division Gigio is playing in by then

Yeah Antonio is older. From the 180 minutes or so he’s played the past 3 years he actually hasn’t been as bad as I thought he would be. Could be as early as next year if there’s a full season being played anywhere.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whose the Italian GK who barely played and got sent off as a sub?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Whose the Italian GK who barely played and got sent off as a sub?

Tommaso Berni; he’s got more red cards than appearances for Inter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Tommaso Berni; he’s got more red cards than appearances for Inter.

This guy is my hero, professional footballer with 6 league appearances in 10 years, none in the last 7.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
lads

https://houseofsaud.com/brotherly-relations-between-uk-and-saudi-arabia-newcastle-takeover/

LADS

https://twitter.com/HRHPSAUDS/following

ashley is finally loving off

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
and yes i do get all my news from twitter, what of it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Its happening.gif

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

wooger posted:

Hard Knocks at least has some real stakes for the players who get cut, and is only a week or two out of date.

It would be interesting to see a documentary about the youth teamers at a club when they are competing for professional contract. It wouldn't have the drama of hard knocks but that would be the closest thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dave kitson was planning to run for the PFA chief exec role for over a year when everyone piled onto him instantly after announcing it. he is also the secret footballer but i think people here knew that

https://twitter.com/RustyRoyal/status/1256181727170527232?s=20
https://twitter.com/alanrog3/status/1256122215772323840?s=20

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don’t think that’s racist it’s just lovely bants. He does it with the white players too

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Imagine being so mentally ill that you make an anonymous Twitter account to launch paper-thin accusations at people that are doing something with their lives

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

Imagine being so mentally ill that you make an anonymous Twitter account to launch paper-thin accusations at people that are doing something with their lives

Is this some new definition of "anonymous" the kids are using

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

and another finger on the monkey paw curls

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I bet this ends with Newcastle fans complaining that their oligarch is worse than the other oligarchs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FWIW in my Football Manager save Newcastle got bought by a sugar daddy Arab and ran up the highest wage bills in the world for 8 years and never won jackshit, then got nailed with FFP violations and sold off.

e: and Sunderland was in the 7th tier last I checked.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

greazeball posted:

They could have just bought him out for $6 mil but they're paying him $25 mil instead. That seems... bad? Deferred money is still money, it's not worthless.

Ungratek is mostly right about how this works out, but a million dollars is still what an average quality relief pitcher makes in MLB during their first arbitration years (4th "full year" in the top league, baseball salary structure is byzantine). He's entirely right that the Mets ownership, clowns that they are, put all their money into Madoff and went bust when Madoff did. They still somehow own the team, to all of us Mets fan's chagrin.

Ungratek posted:

Deferring money is really common in baseball for the above reason.

This is the only thing I disagree with- deferring money wasn't nearly as common back when the Bonilla agreement happened. And a lot of teams stay away from doing it now, in large part because the Mets are shelling out $1m in nigh perpetuity for a guy who's been retired for 20 years. A few teams do it all the time, though. The Washington Nationals have close to a couple hundred million dollars of salary deferred between their top two starting pitchers. In 2027 and 2028 the Nationals will be paying $15m in deferred salary to Max Scherzer and $26.6m in deferred salary to Stephen Strasburg. Their total payroll this past year was about $200m.

My understanding is that the Nats do this because their owner is a 94 year old megabillionaire who wanted to see a world series championship in his lifetime. Which he got! Who cares what salaries are due when he'd be 102 years old? Can you imagine pro football teams trying to pull this off, though? The financial catastrophes would be worth the price of admission.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Bruce Sutter's still getting paid over a million a year by the Atlanta Braves? He hasn't played in a game since the 1980s!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

My understanding is that the Nats do this because their owner is a 94 year old megabillionaire who wanted to see a world series championship in his lifetime. Which he got! Who cares what salaries are due when he'd be 102 years old? Can you imagine pro football teams trying to pull this off, though? The financial catastrophes would be worth the price of admission.

He gave Strasburg his megacontract after they won a championship, though!

The teams that were owned by Mike Ilitch (Detroit Tigers and Red Wings) are a huge cautionary tale, though. As soon as the ancient sugar daddy died those teams loving cratered.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Ungratek is mostly right about how this works out, but a million dollars is still what an average quality relief pitcher makes in MLB during their first arbitration years (4th "full year" in the top league, baseball salary structure is byzantine). He's entirely right that the Mets ownership, clowns that they are, put all their money into Madoff and went bust when Madoff did. They still somehow own the team, to all of us Mets fan's chagrin.

This is the only thing I disagree with- deferring money wasn't nearly as common back when the Bonilla agreement happened. And a lot of teams stay away from doing it now, in large part because the Mets are shelling out $1m in nigh perpetuity for a guy who's been retired for 20 years. A few teams do it all the time, though. The Washington Nationals have close to a couple hundred million dollars of salary deferred between their top two starting pitchers. In 2027 and 2028 the Nationals will be paying $15m in deferred salary to Max Scherzer and $26.6m in deferred salary to Stephen Strasburg. Their total payroll this past year was about $200m.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Bruce Sutter's still getting paid over a million a year by the Atlanta Braves? He hasn't played in a game since the 1980s!

Goddamn

quote:

As The Athletic’s Dan Lewis reported, the Braves are still paying former reliever Bruce Sutter, who played with the Braves from 1985 to 1988. The 1979 NL Cy Young Winner signed a six-year, $9.1 million deal with the Braves before the 1985 season, but Sutter opted to have the money deferred.

“Sutter was only paid about $750,000 per year while under the Braves’ control,” Lewis wrote. “For the thirty years after he retired — 30!!! — the Braves agreed to pay him no less than $1.12 million per year, and potentially more if interest rates spiked above a negotiated floor of 12.3 percent. (They haven’t.) That ends in 2021, and it’s only 2018, so Bruce Sutter, at some point this year, received or will receive a check for $1.12 million.”

quote:

Those payments of $750,000 during his playing career and the $1.12 million that followed are only interest payments, Lewis points out. That means in 2022, the Braves still owe Sutter the $9.1 million that he deferred.

quote:

“In total, Sutter will earn north of $45 million for his three years being terrible as a member of the Atlanta Braves.”

His original contract was $9.1 million for six years and he retired four years into it lol

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i have no idea who bruce sutter is but he loving rules

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bobby Digital posted:

Goddamn

His original contract was $9.1 million for six years and he retired four years into it lol

Now that's moneyball!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i have no idea who bruce sutter is but he loving rules

He was a real good relief pitcher in the late 1970s and early 1980s. That contract was still insane at the time, $1.5m a year in 1985 made him the 5th or 6th highest paid player in the game at the time. And he was TERRIBLE for Atlanta. Under replacement level (replacement level = whichever rando you call up from the minors for the league minimum wage of $60,000/year. Sutter, earning one of the fattest contracts, was worse than that). This is probably still one of the very worst contracts ever. I can't believe I wasn't loving told about this! I don't feel shame about Bobby Bonilla anymore!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

interview with an anonymous premier league player here who reckons that the league will restart in september because playing behind closed doors is a no go for all sorts of reasons and thats when the crunch time for money is likely to be combined with covid cases having dropped enough to get the public on board

https://www.football365.com/news/back-septemvber-coronavirus-anonymous-footballer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

according to the athletic utd have largely stopped looking for a director of football, because sir alex didn't need one so why would ole?

quote:

Principally, the status of the manager is paramount and the club want to stay close to the level of authority Sir Alex Ferguson maintained. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s line to Ed Woodward will always be direct, rather than bisected by another individual. Their relationship is described as “vital”.

Then when it comes to hiring and firing, the decision rests with executive vice-chairman Woodward, who remains trusted by the Glazer family even after David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Mourinho have come and gone.

[...]

The simple truth is that anybody who now joins will not be given the influence typically associated with such a role because United are eminently satisfied at their collaborative approach, which has been constructed in the years since Ferguson left and took his unique blend of connections, knowledge and leverage with him.

https://theathletic.com/1790691/2020/05/04/manchester-united-directoroffootball-woodward/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Cool so the ongoing United plan is 'wait for another one in a million manager to come along and superhero the club to success,' I'm sure one will be along directly.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He's already here mate

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bundy posted:

He's already here mate

I've heard he's at the wheel

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weedle posted:

according to the athletic utd have largely stopped looking for a director of football, because sir alex didn't need one so why would ole?

https://theathletic.com/1790691/2020/05/04/manchester-united-directoroffootball-woodward/

Ugh. I'm not in the least surprised but still. Uuuuuuuuuuuughh.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
This amazon Leeds series is over-produced and dumb but I’m here for the tears at the end :D

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

This amazon Leeds series is over-produced and dumb but I’m here for the tears at the end :D

It’s good and I can’t wait for season 2 when they void the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

rear end cobra posted:

Same