Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
listen if i cant buy an F-350 dually to haul my hog to Sturgis once a year what was the point of America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Fuel in Europe is expensive enough that even upper-middle-class types care about real world fuel economy, so purchasing decisions reflect that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Fuel in Europe is expensive enough that even upper-middle-class types care about real world fuel economy, so purchasing decisions reflect that.

A lot of the poor in America are driving 1999 Suburbans 80 miles a day commuting from cheap suburbs to where jobs are. Fuel taxes would absolutely clobber lower-income people unless we did something to offset them.

Conversely, if you're the one buying a new $74k LTZ Suburban, you don't give a gently caress about how much gas costs because depreciation is going to massively outweigh it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also lol if you think people aren't literally already buying >8500 GVWR trucks for their "interior decorating" "businesses" and writing that the gently caress off.

This was just yet another way the H2 became the most blatant possible example of conspicuous consumption.

In SC, this is currently a perfectly shiny, lifted, 4dr F350 or Duramax.

It’s the heir apparent to the sedan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also lol if you think people aren't literally already buying >8500 GVWR trucks for their "interior decorating" "businesses" and writing that the gently caress off.

This was just yet another way the H2 became the most blatant possible example of conspicuous consumption.

at least that way they gotta jump through a hoop or two

Twerk from Home posted:

A lot of the poor in America are driving 1999 Suburbans 80 miles a day commuting from cheap suburbs to where jobs are. Fuel taxes would absolutely clobber lower-income people unless we did something to offset them.

Conversely, if you're the one buying a new $74k LTZ Suburban, you don't give a gently caress about how much gas costs because depreciation is going to massively outweigh it.

yeah this is why i'm pro GVWR tax. gently caress it apply it to companies too up to stuff requiring CDLs, costs will get passed on and it will at least be less regressive than gas tax.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

My favourite road tax solution is in Poland. The road tax is applied to fuel, you drive more, or drive something thirsty, you pay more tax. Simple and elegant. Means you don't have to pay through the nose on things you do 600 miles a year in either

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grakkus posted:

My favourite road tax solution is in Poland. The road tax is applied to fuel, you drive more, you pay more tax.

horribly regressive in the US anyway

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

Define a test 'family' of cars from a manufacturer that use a similar engine, transmission and etc.. and let the manufacturer supply some cars from each of those drive train perturbations weighted to sales expectation. For certification distribute a weighted average number of each perturbation randomly among the population and record their real world performance (this doesn't need to be free, it could be subsidized, i.e. at cost, with the understanding that the user must maintain the test records and reporting or pay full sticker price). Along with this empirical testing the manufacturer should supply analysis for the expected behavior over time and at end of life and show that it stays within the expected boundaries.

You can provide a preliminary auth to proceed to sale and discrepancies list to be resolved prior to high rate production after a week or two with the understanding that the testing continues over time and any additional findings for lifetime performance will need to be remedied at the manufacturers cost. Additionally any models used for analysis need to be updated to be in family with the observed results with the analysis resubmitted for lifetime performance approval.

As major drive train design changes are made to that family new vehicles can be added to the 'family test'. Continue to weight the distribution of cars in the family testing to be in line with the number of cars projected to be sold for the coming year and in the operational fleet. Minor changes may be certified though analysis with the vetted statistical models.

The onus is on the manufacturer to provide a car that meets requirements over it's life but the testing is not onerously expensive or prolonged. There is a strong incentive to provide accurate analysis upfront so as to avoid rework of already delivered units.

lmao

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
AFAIK, most of the countries in the EU has some kind of emissions-based tax on new cars these days. In Sweden at least, if a car was first registered in 2005 or earlier the tax is completely based on weight, registered after 2005 it's completely emissions based. And at 30 years or older the car becomes tax-exempt.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aren't all road taxes regressive though? It's not so high that poorer Poles are destroyed by it, a fast food worker can still afford to drive to work every day, and it means that people can afford to keep a fun weekend car at much lower income levels, while also paying for infrastructure.

By comparison, the crushing biyearly road taxes in Denmark mean that everyone drives a 1L VW Up or Yaris except the 10% that can do whatever the gently caress they want.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jacking up fuel prices on Americans with no public transit options for transport to a job they’re scraping by a living and are 500$ away from eviction and bankruptcy is a bad idea.

I don’t disagree on overall principle but it doesn’t work in a failed state like the US.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think one of the things keeping people from using trucks as family transport in Europe is that any vehicle with a GVWR over 3500kg (7700 lbs) is by definition a commercial vehicle. They require truck licenses and cannot legally exceed 50 mph. Not sure it its the same for all of Europe though. I sometimes see half-tones like Raptors, but never any heavier pick ups than that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's not just America, the situation is much the same in Canada where distances are vast by the standards of more densely populated regions and public infrastructure is mediocre at best.

Even if you live in one of the better cities a vehicle is basically necessary for most people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also results in horribly underfunded infrastructure when the tax rate never changes over time but fuel consumption does.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Start by making the gas guzzler tax apply to trucks, it’s that simple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's quaint that we are all talking about regulations that affect people as if they were a thing that could be enacted anymore. We have people being shot and killed over telling someone they need to wear a facemask to go into a Dollar General. You make trucks un-affordable, you are going to have people burning down government buildings. We've rapidly slipped into mob rule. Government isn't allowed to tell them to do anything anymore.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

We have a national culture built on the myth of resisting government “tyranny” and it isn’t going anywhere.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Still can't stop taxes, good luck to the mob with that one.

It's actually pretty simple because the people that don't actually need trucks would eventually stop buying them. If you want to use one to make money, put a business on the books and write off the poo poo you can. Or pay the tax and STFU.

gently caress Jim Bob revolting because he can't afford his F250 anymore, he can drive a god drat Camry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Still can't stop taxes, good luck to the mob with that one.

You don't think? I could easily see guys with assault rifles camping out at gas stations, effectively closing them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Still can't stop taxes, good luck to the mob with that one

of course you can, the entire reason that regressive taxes like consumption and income taxes exist is that the government isn't allowed to tax capital

the mistake is in assuming that "the people" have power

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

of course you can, the entire reason that regressive taxes like consumption and income taxes exist is that the government isn't allowed to tax capital

the mistake is in assuming that "the people" have power

They do! Corporations are legally people now. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You don't think? I could easily see guys with assault rifles camping out at gas stations, effectively closing them.

I didn't mean a tax on gas but a tax on trucks or GVWR with an exemption for legit businesses that need them.

GM and Ford would just bring back the ute so rednecks can have their "trucks"

[e] Besides, just because a few idiots with assault rifles were hanging out at the Michigan capital doesn't mean they could possibly shut down al the drat gas stations in the country you're giving them way too much credit

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 6, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I didn't mean a tax on gas but a tax on trucks or GVWR with an exemption for legit businesses that need them.

Don't exempt anything or you'll create loopholes that the wealthy will exploit. Huge heavy trucks cause more wear on the roads and should pay for their negative externalities.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok then allow them to write off some of it for their business after the initial tax on the purchase? Either way, the actual wealthy truck owners are in the minority, the problem is everyone else driving trucks around they don't need.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the entire reason those right wing groups are allowed to congregate on government buildings while carrying rifles is precisely because they aren't a threat to power

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 6, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wheeee posted:

the entire reason those right wing groups are allowed to congregate on government buildings while carrying rifles is precisely because they aren't threat to power

Yet they are clearly affecting policy since several places have rescinded mask requirements to avoid violence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does Europe do it? I mean, I have some half assed assumptions about gas prices, vehicle taxes, safety ratings, and the practicality of road geometry; is it pretty much that?

Smaller roads, denser population.

Grakkus posted:

My favourite road tax solution is in Poland. The road tax is applied to fuel, you drive more, or drive something thirsty, you pay more tax. Simple and elegant. Means you don't have to pay through the nose on things you do 600 miles a year in either

I lived about 40 miles from my last job. The only town closer (population 8000) had almost no housing because the nearby military base had demolished half of base housing to rebuild it, so there were several hundred families living in town that normally wouldn't be. I already got reamed by fuel costs, and as a result I almost never left my tiny "the only place to shop is a Walmart" town except to go to work. Going to a bar, a movie theater, a Home Depot...that was just as far in the opposite direction.

No thanks.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

One can only hope and dream.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

There will never be a tax on trucks because the manufacturers will never let their senators pass it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Jacking up fuel prices on Americans with no public transit options for transport to a job they’re scraping by a living and are 500$ away from eviction and bankruptcy is a bad idea.

I don’t disagree on overall principle but it doesn’t work in a failed state like the US.

Godholio posted:

No thanks.

Yeah, I was just commenting on some European tax systems, it wouldn't work without some drastic changes being implemented over there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

There will never be a tax on trucks because the manufacturers will never let their senators pass it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

Yet they are clearly affecting policy since several places have rescinded mask requirements to avoid violence.

They are useful tools to push a policy agenda that capital is in favor of, namely re-opening businesses.

All of the re-open protests are astroturfed to hell.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They are useful tools to push a policy agenda that capital is in favor of, namely re-opening businesses.

All of the re-open protests are astroturfed to hell.

We already are this in how now that some states are "open" it turns out nobody is "buying" wow wonder why :thunk:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Midjack posted:

They do! Corporations are legally people now. :v:

This is not new though. Corporations are indeed people from a legal point of view. Actual living, breathing people are natural persons, which is a subset of people :shrug:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was there ever a liftback/sportback four-seater in the US with a manual transmission? All I can think of is the OG Mazda 6 and maybe the Audi TT, but I’m wondering if something like the A5 or one of the silly four door coupes was ever offered like this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blk posted:

Was there ever a liftback/sportback four-seater in the US with a manual transmission? All I can think of is the OG Mazda 6 and maybe the Audi TT, but I’m wondering if something like the A5 or one of the silly four door coupes was ever offered like this.

Scion TC probably fits the bill here.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

blk posted:

Mustang, AE86 hatch, Celica, Supra, 318ti, 928, 944, there are tons.

For four door versions probably a lot fewer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Scion TC probably fits the bill here.

Yeah but the manual is not very good unfortunately. Horrible clutch feel and not much better shifter either. The 4 speed automatic is the better choice in that situation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do hot hatches count?

Edit: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/vandenbrinks-ferrari-612-shooting-brake-is-the-ultimate-v12-powered-wagon/

Serious edit: Porsche Panamera.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Panamera was only available with a manual in Germany I think.