Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Gale is totally fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

I don't get the concept of MGTOW fan fiction that makes the guy look awful, but I'm just not on their level I guess.

It really says something that for incel fanfiction it still comes across as the guy being a weenus. I'm sure in their head somewhere they think the girl in this story got owned but really she can just move on and find someone that's not a pile of garbage so she wins in the long run.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

kru posted:

Gale is totally fine

Ehhh

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for disowning my brother when he came out as gay, because of how he's treating his wife?

It doesn't matter what his brother's sexuality is when he cheated on his wife with who knows how many people over a year, then puts his disgusting cheater failings on her when she isn't supportive!! What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You see a it's like a lock and key, is what an incel male coworker once told me. Key/penis opens many locks, is great key! Lock/vagina can be opened by many keys, is a poo poo lock!

I once knew a girl who had a fairly abusive past, who did some sex work to survive, and was fairly open about it to her boyfriend, who just asked her if she ever needed anyone to talk to, he'd be happy to help pay for a therapist, otherwise her past was her past, and she was with him now.

I am amazed at the 'don't want a boy need daughters' dude though. Like seriously, anyone with basic loving biology knows that there's no way to get one baby gender over the other, unless the dad only has one sperm type.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kru posted:

Gale is totally fine

It looks like the full name she's insisting on as a family tradition is gaylord and the compromise is to use gale as a nickname. Lol at the crystal husband though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

zakharov posted:

The Gaylord post got an update and whoooooo boy does it get wild

How can I (24F) salvage my marriage with my husband (23 M) after he just admitted he's been lying to me for 4 years? I would have never married him if I knew.

This is a weird one because obviously the husband and MIL are nuts and she should probably just get a divorce, but it's hard for me to completely side with someone who absolutely requires naming their child Gaylord. The fact that her family would disown her if she doesn't, and that she apparently thinks that's reasonable, is just so bizarre. Yeah, I get that people have family traditions and stuff, but what the hell.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait it's funny because idiots ignore scientists but people with PhDs are universally egotistical assholes who only got their degree because it looks good and know nothing that can be used in the real world? Lol strong antivaxx energy here

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Any story where the key scene is a drunken sexy game of Truth or Dare or Never have I ever, I immediately think is 80% fake. Sounds like a lazy screen writing trope like horrorovie where a couple buy an old rural mansion to get away from the city and the dude is a writer with writer's block.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

It really says something that for incel fanfiction it still comes across as the guy being a weenus. I'm sure in their head somewhere they think the girl in this story got owned but really she can just move on and find someone that's not a pile of garbage so she wins in the long run.

Yeah, uh, even if it is a very fake story which it may or may not be and could very easily be real, I don't really see how OP got devastatingly owned or whatever weirdo incels imagine women's feelings to be like in their twisted minds. Assuming it's real, I'm sure this poor lady is sad but she can just move on and find a partner who isn't the dumbest idiot alive who treats her like a human being. Oh no, how terrible.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 10, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

wizardofloneliness posted:

This is a weird one because obviously the husband and MIL are nuts and she should probably just get a divorce, but it's hard for me to completely side with someone who absolutely requires naming their child Gaylord. The fact that her family would disown her if she doesn't, and that she apparently thinks that's reasonable, is just so bizarre. Yeah, I get that people have family traditions and stuff, but what the hell.

Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that the "lying to me for 4 years" was "his promise to allow his first born to be named Gaylord". And honestly I'm having a hard time with a hard sever on this one. He didn't endanger her life, and it sounds like what he did was fairly innocuous. It's kinda poo poo that he hid the reasoning from her... but this is pretty parallel too "Our church back home kept praying for a girl instead of a boy." or whatever.

Honestly I am surprised it turned out like this though. I thought for sure that Gaylord was a placeholder and it was something like Adolph or whatever and her family were going to turn out to be huge neo nazis or something.

I'm having a hard time believing that "Naming our son Gaylord is a condition of marriage" was ever quite as explicitly stated like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a Voight-Kampf incel test; only other incels would see him as the hero in that situation.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Excuse me, it's "Miss Jane Doe." "Ms." is not an appropriate title for someone in this guy's wedding for reasons we can only speculate.

You're absolutely right, it's important to establish the intactness of her hymen in this situation

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Gaylord Family of the bride and Crystal Magic Family of the groom deserve each other, I hope this marriage somehow survives

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
I'm mainly on the wife's side because the husband was both lame enough to report to his mom about their baby's conception, AND stupid enough to think eating certain food can make a woman have a daughter or son. Like she's a goddamn Sim. He could've just been a normal person and been upfront about the Gaylord name being a dealbreaker, but instead did magic spells and was shocked it didn't work.

On the other hand, "let your family choose your child's name or face being disowned" is really fuckin dysfunctional, idc how much of a tradition it is.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Gale is a perfectly fine name. Just put Gaylord on his birth certificate and call the kid Gale forever. But I don't really think the name is the actual problem here. :dogbutton:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It doesn't matter what his brother's sexuality is when he cheated on his wife with who knows how many people over a year, then puts his disgusting cheater failings on her when she isn't supportive!! What a loving rear end in a top hat.

I feel like we've had variants of this story posted a couple times and I think even a goon mentioned their dad pulled it. Seen a genderswapped one too.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for taking away my son's phone for a month?

quote:

First off, this is a throwaway account, if you didn't get that from the username.

So this morning, my son(15M) was about to eat breakfast when I(F45) asked him if he had brushed his teeth yet. He said yes and I believed him until he walked by me and I was able to smell his breath, which smelled really bad, indicating to me that he had not brushed his teeth at all. When I confronted him about lying to me, I realized that there must be so much more that he is lying to me about or hiding from me. So, as a punishment I decided to take away his phone for a month, not let him use any technology or devices unless it is for school and that when he does use his tech for school it must be in front of me so I can monitor what he is doing. When I told my son this punishment, he said I was being totally unfair and unreasonable. Because of this I decided to make this post to look for judgement. So reddit, AITA?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why brush teeth before you eat?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gale is a perfectly fine name. Just put Gaylord on his birth certificate and call the kid Gale forever. But I don't really think the name is the actual problem here. :dogbutton:

The teachers at his school are likely only going to get his legal name, so if they do roll call on the first day, or a sub ever does it, everyone in his classes will know his name is Gaylord. He’s still hosed even with the nickname thing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Cock carousel doesn't even make sense since you stay on the same seat for the duration of the ride. Thes are the kind of shaky metaphors you get when you allow alliteration to dictate your beliefs.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The teachers at his school are likely only going to get his legal name, so if they do roll call on the first day, or a sub ever does it, everyone in his classes will know his name is Gaylord. He’s still hosed even with the nickname thing.

They will know.. that he is the lord of the gays. :gbsmith:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

ArbitraryC posted:

They... they think this guy is a Pete. They think that a dude who dickworried himself out of a stable monogamous relationship with a loving, sexually adventurous, resilient woman is some kind of actual Pete.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Piell posted:

AITA for taking away my son's phone for a month?

It's been established when you punish minor infractions with extreme responses it desensitizes the punished kid to not care about the consequences and it encourages them to lie about literally everything since they expect a huge punishment for even something simple.

That said, being so weak willed you run to reddit to ask them if your angry 15 year old might be correct, you have a spine of jelly and probably cave the moment you have to be a responsible adult and enforce actual consequences.

elise the great posted:

They... they think this guy is a Pete. They think that a dude who dickworried himself out of a stable monogamous relationship with a loving, sexually adventurous, resilient woman is some kind of actual Pete.

Pete is the guy who broke up with the girl who refused to not go on a 2 week euro vacation with an ex bf right?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hope you realize there is such thing as meeting with teachers and administration ahead of time if they're so stuck on the name. It's very, very common for parents to deal with teachers for their kid who prefers being called Katie when her given name is Catherine or Jack vs Jacob etc. Gaylord is a lovely name, but it's also way easier to work with than if your family's generational name is Gertrude or Maureen.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2020

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why brush teeth before you eat?

I've heard is that you want to brush your teeth before eating breakfast so you don't smash all the bacteria and plaque and crap from overnight deeper into your teeth by chewing. No idea how valid it is, I've never bothered asking my dentist.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
AITA for closing curtains to make my wife's acne scars less visible?

quote:

The title says it all. My wife has very visible acne scars. Obviously, I love her all the same, and I find her stunningly beautiful - but ofc I'd prefer her without the scars. I never told her that because she can't make them go away and it'd be pointlessly rude, of course.

When we go out, my wife wears some makeup, and we're typically only together at home in the evening, but we're currently both confined at home. I barely notice her scars in the artificial lights of our home, but they're far more visible in the pale light of the sun. In the day with all windows open it looks like that: https://images.app.goo.gl/mvcHphVRiBuFBCf97

Ive taken the habit to keep curtains closed and the lights turned on instead. She loves it and asks for it sometimes because it "feels cozy". I didn't tell her my reasons to do it in the first place, but neither of us minds.

I mentioned it to my sister lately without thinking much of it. She freaked out and said I'm awful and that it means I hate my wife's "true appearance". I think of it as me choosing a flattering light rather than one that makes her less beautiful than what she can look like. What do you think?

EDIT: I acknowledge the YTAs. As a counterpoint to me being the worst person in the universe, I would like to point out I married her. She had the scars when we met and I kept dating her, I loved her and I proposed to her, all the time while her scars were right there on her face - I looked past them and I saw the most beautiful soul in the universe. She could look like a toad and I would love her, because I love *her*, not her appearance. I immigrated to a different country and changed careers to join her in her birth country. We're looking into buying a house within walking distance of her parents' place while I talk to my own parents only on the phone and see them once a year. I don't think I treated her wrong. If I did, I would immediately seek to change that so she can be happy.

I'm a man, I like good-looking things, it's how I was born. If there's a way to change how I reflexively *feel* about things, I'd love to know about it. But for now, I'm stuck with that feeling that her acne scars aren't flattering. Does that feeling hurt anyone? I keep it quiet, she doesn't know. She has no reason to feel self-conscious about it. I feel about keeping curtains closed sometimes like I'd feel about buying her beautiful clothes. It makes me feel slightly better, she likes it, and nobody's hurt.

I understand and agree that this innate feeling of mine means that I'm not a good person. But I try to make sure she never has to suffer because she married a bad man. I try my best.

This thread made me more emotional than I anticipated. I agree I am the rear end in a top hat. Thank you for your input.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I hope you realize there is such thing as meeting with teachers and administration ahead of time if they're so stuck on the name. It's very, very common for parents to deal with teachers for their kid who prefers being called Katie when her given name is Catherine or Jack vs Jacob etc. Gaylord is a lovely name, but it's also way easier to work with than if your family's generational name is Gertrude or Maureen.

I mean, I know talking to teachers is a thing in advance but when I was in school it always took like a week for teachers to remember what kids wanted to be called. It’s likely a bit different when your name is to middle school bullying like a nail is to a hammer but I don’t know if I’d want to count on that approach working.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solus M.D. posted:

AITA for closing curtains to make my wife's acne scars less visible?
As a counterpoint to me being the worst person in the universe, I would like to point out I married her.

My God, someone give this man a medal for loving a person with some scars.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Little Bobby Tables never stood a chance at school, poor guy.
That acne story hits all the "aww akward sweet" spots, but there are alarms going off in my head.dude should really work through his feelings on that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AITA for accepting a Mother’s Day gift from my ex-husband?

quote:

The whole story is in the title.

My ex-husband gave me three cards (one from him and each of our kids) and a miniature rose bush for Mother’s Day. The kids’ cards just said that I do a lot for them and his just said he was thankful that I’m a good mom and was excited to see us again. (We still do family outings like going to the park).

My boyfriend broke up with me because he said it was inappropriate and that I should never have accepted them. It just blew up into a big argument. I told him his feelings were valid and we’d work through it and talk about it. Was it inappropriate?

AITA?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

LadyPictureShow posted:

Now she knows her ex-boyfriend is an incredible moron. Hooray for Mother's Day!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This made me think of this thread for some reason

I guess r/relationships is kind of like an advice column. More like an advice forum

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is there a hallmark card for "thank you for pushing me out of the way of that bullet"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Man, I see someone being on good terms with their ex as a good thing, it means that even when things got bad they didn’t end up having them get so bad they completely couldn’t stand each other anymore. That says some pretty positive stuff about their character.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

The boyfriend just sounded like one of those weirdos who gets jealous over a pet for taking their SOs attention away from them.

The dude has two cats, he just loving hates dogs and doesn't want his partner to have them.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
AITA for not wanting my girlfriend to bleed all over the sheets (again)?

quote:

My gf gets a heavy period the first 2-3 days. I have nothing against periods, they’re natural and if leaks happen they happen.
However for the past two periods she’s had, she refuses to put on a pad at first even when she’s felt them come both times. Both times we were in bed lazing or trying to sleep and she’s like oop! Think that’s my period! And when I said oh go get a pad or check, she’s like nah I’m lazy n fell asleep. We woke up to the bloodiest mess. Second time last month, pretty much a repeat happened. We were cuddling she’s like oop that’s def my period. But I’m too lazy. I remembered the month before and offered to get her pads and new underwear and she’s like nah it’s fine. Wouldn’t let me get up.
It wasn’t fine. She bled all over me and the sheets and when I got squeamish and tried to put them in the wash immediately she laughed and said it’s normal, and pads feel uncomfortable anyway.
Yesterday I put my foot down. It’s near period time again and I told her to put on a pad in advance (“they’re uncomf”). So I said ok. If she feels it come and she isn’t asleep, to please put a pad or smth on immediately. She first laughed at me and said I was being a baby then when I insisted, said I was being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat and now won’t talk to me because I’m being Apparently a baby about her period. I just don’t want to wake up in a bloody mess again. Am I being unreasonable? AITA?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

AITA for not wanting my girlfriend to bleed all over the sheets (again)?

Who are these people that just feel their period come on? I end up getting mine at work half the time and I never find out till i use the bathroom. Is... that normal oh God I'm gonna regret saying this on SA aren't I

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think the key thing in the update post is that the husband refuses to allow Gaylord as even a middle name, which imo is p. unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dixville posted:

Who are these people that just feel their period come on? I end up getting mine at work half the time and I never find out till i use the bathroom. Is... that normal oh God I'm gonna regret saying this on SA aren't I

Nah, you're not weird. It's the same for me most of the time (or the opposite where I think I started my period, go check, and nothing). I always heard about people feeling it come on, but that was never the case for me.