Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tochi at m11w? That's an improvement. Enho at m6 is nice to see too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

AOIYAMA at m4, my big boy!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochi at m11w? That's an improvement. Enho at m6 is nice to see too.

Wait what? They both finished with a 6-9 score last Basho, improvement over what?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Martytoof posted:

Allow me to ease your burden sempai ^___^

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Hakuho                 Yokozuna                Kakuryu
Takakeisho              Ozeki                  Asanoyama        
Shodai                 Sekiwake                Mitakeumi
Daieisho               Komusubi                Okinoumi
Endo                      M1                   Yutakayama
Takanosho                 M2                   Onosho
Takarafuji                M3                   Kiribayama
Kagayaki                  M4                   Aoiyama
Abi                       M5                   Hokutofuji
Enho                      M6                   Ryuuden
Terutsuyoshi              M7                   Tokoshoryu
Ishiura                   M8                   Chiyotairyu
Tamawashi                 M9                   Ikioi
Kaisei                    M10                  Myogiryu
Shimanoumi                M11                  Toshinoshin
Sadanoumi                 M12                  Shohozan
Takayasu                  M13                  Kotonowaka
Kotoshogiku               M14                  Wakatakakage 
Kotoshoho                 M15                  Chiyomaru
Nishikigi                 M16                  Kotoeko
Terunofuji                M17                  Kotoyuki

i expected enho to fall further than 2 slots. there must be a mountain of expectation for him to perform. he just needs 10kgs more weight. i see his fellow lightweights salt bae and ishiura having a better time in the 2 ranks below him unless he shows some spectacular form.

expecting a solid 8-7 from tokoshoryu at that rank. mayyyyybe 7-8 but i'm optimistic.

aoiyama is going to get blown out.

chiyomaru will definitely be on my fantasy team. at that rank, surrounded by all that new blood, he's finna feast. and welcome back terunofuji!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Brut posted:

Wait what? They both finished with a 6-9 score last Basho, improvement over what?

How far I expected Tochi to fall, in all honesty. He went 6-9, but it was definitely not a very good looking 6. I figured Enho was going to move around a bit while his record dips with people taking him seriously, but we'll see. I am bad at predicting Sumo, it is known.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

If the old men think my big blue boi can hang near the top then by the gods he can hang!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

How far I expected Tochi to fall, in all honesty. He went 6-9, but it was definitely not a very good looking 6. I figured Enho was going to move around a bit while his record dips with people taking him seriously, but we'll see. I am bad at predicting Sumo, it is known.

Oh I see what you're saying, I'm hoping for the best for Tochinoshin but realistically he's almost certainly retiring this year, regardless of performance.

BONGHITZ posted:

If the old men think my big blue boi can hang near the top then by the gods he can hang!

His 11-4 forced their hand, especially with a win over a decently performing Mitakeumi, who ended up being bumped back up to Sekiwake.

I wonder how Tomokazeis doing, he's down at Ms11 now and I don't even know if he's anywhere close to being recovered, anyone heard anything/seen any articles?

It's gonna be really interesting seeing how Kiribayama does at M3, at that rank he should be fighting just about everybody up to the top, would be cool seeing him get a Kinboshi his first time up there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Brut posted:

Oh I see what you're saying, I'm hoping for the best for Tochinoshin but realistically he's almost certainly retiring this year, regardless of performance.

Yeah, I expect so. His leg looks like it's held together with chicken wire and duct tape at this point and I don't think he's ever going to heal up enough to make another run.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The "official" decision will be tomorrow, but unofficially the grumpy old men who run sumo are telling the media that there will be no summer basho.

edit: no tournament in May. July basho is being moved to the kokugikan, no spectators, and delayed back to start July 19th.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 4, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, I thought I'd be more disappointed but I was expecting this. It's also The Right Thing to Do™

Plus it gives my hairy boi Takayasu some time to get his poo poo in order.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

It's official, we're waiting until the July Basho at least, which they're currently aiming to move to the Kukigikan and hold without a crowd.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2h93vkhYc&feature=youtu.be

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice one, refreshed my love of sumo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmA8Z3bMAg

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

28. Unreal. RIP. gently caress this virus.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The news even made it to CNN, shockingly enough.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1260427784821837825
:smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aww it was one of the Shokkiri dudes? Fuuuuuuuuuck.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Aww it was one of the Shokkiri dudes? Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah :( If you haven’t seen it, this is basically the sumo equivalent of a Harlem globetrotter show where the lower lower division guys can get some love.

https://youtu.be/oG5A2jpdaeY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
is there anywhere or anyway to see all the days of the janaury basho? i missed it because i was in europe and i'd like to watch it in full, a way to kill 30 hours and also see sumo with a crowd

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

is there anywhere or anyway to see all the days of the janaury basho? i missed it because i was in europe and i'd like to watch it in full, a way to kill 30 hours and also see sumo with a crowd

i hope so, because it's loving awesome

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

It's possible that there's still VODs on some random YouTube channel, but probably not, those channels have been getting shut down again pretty quickly. All the ones I had subscribed/bookmarked are gone.

There's still highlights/bout compilations from Kintamayama, Natto and the like, but if you want the full original TV broadcast for months ago, you're probably out of luck.

If you want to download them yourself as they broadcast(or even a couple weeks later) in the future, there are services such as "iSakura" that allow you to watch Japanese TV channels online, and they usually split stuff up by program and have downloadable archives going a few weeks back, but I'm like 95% sure their archives don't go all the way back to January from now. A 3 day trial is like 2 bucks though, so you can sign up and check for yourself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
what a waste if theyre in the ether

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

what a waste if theyre in the ether

NHK probably still have all the footage, but I can't think of how you'd get them to give it to you.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone has been downloading full broadcasts for years for their own personal collection, but I don't know how you'd find that person.

There's also the Abema footage, but that's generally the same situation.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

There's still highlights/bout compilations from Kintamayama, Natto and the like, but if you want the full original TV broadcast for months ago, you're probably out of luck.

Is there anyone other than Kinta or Natto? January is missing since Natto got nuked for being an idiot and Kinta skipped that basho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Is there anyone other than Kinta or Natto? January is missing since Natto got nuked for being an idiot and Kinta skipped that basho.

Best I can find is this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5URI1kxt9segkGoef_LjoA/videos

His videos are titled kinda weird in that some days are in 2 parts with the exact same title, and none of them actually say January or Hatsu, but you can probably figure it out.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Im sad now

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What about Jason's Channel? I know he does a video per match but he usually has all the Makuuchi bouts.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I think the official grand sumo app has them if you're willing to pay the $4/month for video access

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

What about Jason's Channel? I know he does a video per match but he usually has all the Makuuchi bouts.

He does not have all Makuuchi bouts, with the exception of days on which he has extra hours at work, which is when he'll just show the highlight show, but typically that's 2 out of the 15 days.

On usual days his approach is typically to show bouts in which a Sanyaku Rikishi is participating, sometimes Okinoumi bouts if he's doing well (because Okinoumi is from Shimane prefecture, and that's where Jason first taught in Japan), Tochinoshin/Enho bouts due to popular demand, and as the Basho gets towards the end he'll show matches of people that are in the Yusho race, and 7-7 vs 7-7 matches on the last day.

If something super cool happens or someone gets injured, he'll usually show those too if his DVR catches it.

Here's the January playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL556B0EVMUL3fjHY7XCaCRviCRFL_NcwM

9 matches on day 1, 8 matches on day 2, 9 matches on day 3, highlights (2 videos, all matches) on day 4, 8 matches on day 5...you get the idea.

These days Makuuchi has 42 people in it so if at least 41 of them are participating, that's 21 matches per day happening.

Brut fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 15, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hot date tonight! posted:

I think the official grand sumo app has them if you're willing to pay the $4/month for video access

That would be a really good deal assuming they had all the matches. That's very reasonable.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

That would be a really good deal assuming they had all the matches. That's very reasonable.

I happen to have the app and took a look. You have to do a bit of navigating (switch to the prior basho, go to the torikumi, click the day and match you want), but they seem to have all makuuchi matches going back to May 2010. Raw video only, no commentary.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

pseudodragon posted:

I subscribe to Kintamayama's mailing list, so I'm behind on other youtubers. What did Natto do?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tried to monetize his videos which were basically just clips from TV with his overlay.

I mean there was definite added value through his work, but I’m not sure how he expected not to be nuked into next century by the broadcaster.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Didn't Jason set up a "tip" thing where you could send him money? Or was Natto's thing more blatantly a way to make money off his videos?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

Didn't Jason set up a "tip" thing where you could send him money? Or was Natto's thing more blatantly a way to make money off his videos?

Straight up ran youtube ads on the videos.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah that's a bit much. I remember a while ago Mark Buckton writing a pretty nasty column about Jason and that dude from Hawaii, I can't remember his name. They brought the bashos to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to see them but Buckton being the traditionalist dickhead he is thought it was some horrible thing they were posting videos, especially the Hawaiian guy who would post like the entire day. He never asked for money, though. Now I'm reminded about Buckton. Man that guy sucked.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

As someone just getting into sumo, I’ve found Jason’s channel to be super helpful. I don’t get overwhelmed by the number of matches to watch and I get a sense of who are the big players in the sport. Plus, his excitement for Okinoumi is a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1266311771259899905