Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Cowcaster posted:

someone else probably has a firmer grasp of the details but i think that any aoe damaging device is split into two components: direct damage and aoe damage (as evidenced by the stats visible when you’re noodling around in the upgrades screen). only direct damage gets multiplied on weakpoint hits, not aoe damage.

at least that’s the case with frozen enemies (which i believe essentially just counts everything as one massive overarching super-weakpoint)

Autocannon is explosive damage so dreads and bulksploders take reduced damage. Explosives can't exploit weakpoints but aren't stopped by armour either. That's why the cryo cannon + EPC combo was so strong and the hollowpoint subata was not. Frozen is a triple damage multiplier that overrides armour and weakpoints. Rolly rude dudes can't be frozen but that's when you go medieval on them. :black101:

All the autocannon is lacking is its original accuracy, born ready covers its weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I think the thing to take away from all this, is that you can make any loadout viable, really. Sure there are 'better' options, and even contentious 'best' options. But teamwork, positioning and communication are what makes and breaks missions, and what really matters.

And that's good design.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

As a whole, Deep Rock Galactic is one of the most masterfully designed games I've ever played. The soundtrack alone is phenomenal, I only wish there was more of it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wheeee posted:

As a whole, Deep Rock Galactic is one of the most masterfully designed games I've ever played. The soundtrack alone is phenomenal, I only wish there was more of it.

I am forever ruined by Payday 2 and Simon Viklund. And I don't even like EDM!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I was soloing an egg hunt as a Driller when I fall into a pit. Radar shows no caverns nearby. I was about to give up when I had a stupid thought.

"Dig up, stupid."

So I tried that.

And it worked. God damnit it worked.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

So I was soloing an egg hunt as a Driller when I fall into a pit. Radar shows no caverns nearby. I was about to give up when I had a stupid thought.

"Dig up, stupid."

So I tried that.

And it worked. God damnit it worked.

I have to

https://youtu.be/b97zJxKEqAk

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

:thejoke:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

I am forever ruined by Payday 2 and Simon Viklund. And I don't even like EDM!

I am double ruined by payday 2 and simon viklund, because I extremely do like EDM

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The secret autocannon sauce is to take the born ready perk (or whatever the auto-reload one is) and just swap to your secondary to avoid the reload completely

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is the Cyclops hat from cosmetic cores only? I ran out of cargo crate rewards, so that just leaves picks and machine events/cores. On the plus side, finally got the sticky fuel OC.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who in payday 2 did evil eye

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what i'm saying is evil eye in deep rock galactic when

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just noticed Payday 2 was in my library but I never tried it. Is that worth trying out currently?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fishstick posted:

Is the Cyclops hat from cosmetic cores only? I ran out of cargo crate rewards, so that just leaves picks and machine events/cores. On the plus side, finally got the sticky fuel OC.

Yes.

Unlucky7 posted:

I just noticed Payday 2 was in my library but I never tried it. Is that worth trying out currently?

It's a fun, but poorly balanced horde shooter. You should ask the same question in the Payday 2 thread.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Unlucky7 posted:

If you can get a group together in comms and chill out shooting cops and robbing banks it's definitely worth playing. The balance issues are really only a problem at the hardest difficulties. Well I assume, I haven't played the game in a few years, but it definitely was fun to play the same 20-30 missions over and over in 2013-2016.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
reloading the autocannon is its own reward as you see the big drum roll away, be free

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I cancel reloads on the Flamethrower all the time so I almost always end up with tens of Flamethrower canisters just laying around.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Me during Point Extraction: Is that a gem or is it the lighting?

My Teammates during Point Extraction: Dunno. Hey, we are going to throw down 3 gems. Take them to the platform, yeah?

In my defense, the Glacier Caves make it hard to tell. But still, is there any easy way to tell if there are gems in a wall?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kith posted:

Try it with 11231. It's what I use, and I swear by it.

I've been trying it.. and I hate to say.. I still don't like it. It's good on Salvage and Elim, and I like it well enough on that, but honestly I really miss the +5m range upgrade on T1 and I really miss that extra 75 ammo which feels like it does well enough to delete stuff. I've tried it while still taking the +5m range and I feel like I get just a little too much of a case of a Gamer Brain. I just really like blanketing the map in sticky flames and I feel like I got to be just a little too picky with that OC while cutting out a range advantage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kith posted:

I cancel reloads on the Flamethrower all the time so I almost always end up with tens of Flamethrower canisters just laying around.

:hai:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Unlucky7 posted:

Me during Point Extraction: Is that a gem or is it the lighting?

My Teammates during Point Extraction: Dunno. Hey, we are going to throw down 3 gems. Take them to the platform, yeah?

In my defense, the Glacier Caves make it hard to tell. But still, is there any easy way to tell if there are gems in a wall?
Turning off your headlight (default hold F) sometimes helps see the glow under the surface

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Accidentally held H and turned off my UI when trying to line up a impact axe with my driller. Thought my game had bugged for the rest of the mission till I looked through the options back at the station.

Appreciated the ammo counters on weapons for that.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I personally feel like the most complicated character is the driller. Because I play the game with three friends who are ranging from bad to decent and I can't imagine having one of them in charge of that many different functions. I can't wait until we play on haz 4 tonight because we are going to die so many times.

Our scout has no spatial awareness, our gunner wastes all his ammo on gribblets and needs to be laserpointered towards places to put his grappling hook and the engineer shoots ledges at enemies and spends all his rockets on singles.

I still love my buddies and it is a great co-op game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm starting to become a fan of the Autocannon

I don't have a good mod for the bulldog yet so single target's a bit whiffy but enough AC rounds takes care of praetorians OK so far

(edit) I dunno about anyone else but I'm still in the "oh god not enough credits or minerals whyyyy" phase, are there any clever tricks to that besides grinding away?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Affi posted:

I personally feel like the most complicated character is the driller. Because I play the game with three friends who are ranging from bad to decent and I can't imagine having one of them in charge of that many different functions. I can't wait until we play on haz 4 tonight because we are going to die so many times.

Our scout has no spatial awareness, our gunner wastes all his ammo on gribblets and needs to be laserpointered towards places to put his grappling hook and the engineer shoots ledges at enemies and spends all his rockets on singles.

I still love my buddies and it is a great co-op game.
Not going to lie, I am normally the one firing ledges and flares at the bugs. It's always funny when you end up getting a flare kill by mistake.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'm starting to become a fan of the Autocannon

I don't have a good mod for the bulldog yet so single target's a bit whiffy but enough AC rounds takes care of praetorians OK so far

(edit) I dunno about anyone else but I'm still in the "oh god not enough credits or minerals whyyyy" phase, are there any clever tricks to that besides grinding away?

I agree. The minigun isn't BAD but the autocannon despite having a fraction of the ammo reserve deals so much more damage (especially with armor piercing rounds) along with a small splash radius it's definitely an equivalent if not superior sidegrade without overclocks.

As to the minerals that's what the exchange is for, I suppose. Some minerals I have 3 to 4x as many as others so, it's not bad but probably not the answer you were looking for.

If you need credits I'd recommend trying to coordinate Gold Rush mutators with Pots O' Gold beer whenever possible. If you get super lucky and there's a Glyphid Crassus Detonator you're going to be swimming in credits.

Edit: Also no overheating on the autocannon is a pretty nice thing to keep up that sustained fire.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 24, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rap music posted:

SS autocannon is all about deleting swarms in the chillest way possible

i think this is also why I'm enjoying it - and explains why I like flamethrower Driller and will probably like Breach Cutter okay when I can loving afford it :argh:: I like making those swarming bastards (and grunts as much as possible) irrelevant

(PGL is good too but oof! my ammo!)

The only thing I feel outright anemic about is Mactera; that's probably mostly down to me being a lousy shot with the Bulldog, though, so that'll improve

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 24, 2020

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i think this is also why I'm enjoying it - and explains why I like flamethrower Driller and will probably like Breach Cutter okay when I can loving afford it :argh:: I like making those swarming bastards (and grunts as much as possible) irrelevant

(PGL is good too but oof! my ammo!)

The only thing I feel outright anemic about is Mactera; that's probably mostly down to me being a lousy shot with the Bulldog, though, so that'll improve

Breach Cutter is pretty dang nice but be prepared for large amounts of friendly fire during swarms and dreadnoughts. I'd definitely recommend taking the perk that reduces FF if you use it. It's not a ton of FF per shot but it's enough if you have no ally awareness like me that your teammates are probably going to ask you what the hell you're doing when you just fire it into hordes and they're on the other side or jump in front of you due to its wide arc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Honestly I take the FF perk 100% of the time anyway barring playing with Bosco, because it means friendly fire is one less thing I have to try to concentrate on :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly I take the FF perk 100% of the time anyway barring playing with Bosco, because it means friendly fire is one less thing I have to try to concentrate on :v:

Depending on the difficulty you're running, this is somewhat of a waste! Haz3 and below friendly fire is so fractional that it's basically a dead perk outside of a Driller attempting to explode you with a satchel charge out of spite. Haz4 and 5 though? Definitely worth a consider, especially if you have a breach cutter/PGL happy Engi friend or just don't trust pubbies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm pretty much on H4 most of the time now anyway. Y'all were right, despite the inevitable fuckups its more fun :black101:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

Depending on the difficulty you're running, this is somewhat of a waste! Haz3 and below friendly fire is so fractional that it's basically a dead perk outside of a Driller attempting to explode you with a satchel charge out of spite. Haz4 and 5 though? Definitely worth a consider, especially if you have a breach cutter/PGL happy Engi friend or just don't trust pubbies.

I have a friend who's over level 200 who swears by the Fat Boy Overclock on the PGL and I shudder to think what it would be like if he didn't have the FF perk.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I have a friend who's over level 200 who swears by the Fat Boy Overclock on the PGL and I shudder to think what it would be like if he didn't have the FF perk.

As a user of the Fat Boy OC myself, I agree. IMO any properly kitted Engi is just in a state of being of having to use Friendly in their build 100% of the time unless you want to actively lose a mission because you're knocking out your fellow dwarves faster than the bugs can.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Xaris posted:

I've been trying it.. and I hate to say.. I still don't like it. It's good on Salvage and Elim, and I like it well enough on that, but honestly I really miss the +5m range upgrade on T1 and I really miss that extra 75 ammo which feels like it does well enough to delete stuff. I've tried it while still taking the +5m range and I feel like I get just a little too much of a case of a Gamer Brain. I just really like blanketing the map in sticky flames and I feel like I got to be just a little too picky with that OC while cutting out a range advantage.

I've been using it for so long that I'm used to the range. For that matter, I've watched bugs trundle into my sticky flames to die so many times that I've gotten used to only using short squirts to lay down a wall and then back off. I still go full throttle sometimes when I absolutely need the extra damage output, but usually that's pretty rare.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Breach Cutter is pretty dang nice but be prepared for large amounts of friendly fire during swarms and dreadnoughts. I'd definitely recommend taking the perk that reduces FF if you use it. It's not a ton of FF per shot but it's enough if you have no ally awareness like me that your teammates are probably going to ask you what the hell you're doing when you just fire it into hordes and they're on the other side or jump in front of you due to its wide arc.

Eh. On haz4 the damage of a beam hitting a friendly for a second is minimal, it's not like you're spamming 20 of them at a time and people can deal with getting hit by 2 beams for 0.5 seconds while 2 preatorians get deleted. One accidental cluster secondary does more FF than hitting your friend in the face with the beam. That passive perk slot can be put to much better use with something else imo

On Fatboy it can help but you really shouldnt be using it so close that you're nuking friendlies :v.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Friendly is pretty much a trap perk at every stage of the game. When you are perk lite, the difficulties you are on make it not worth it, when you're doing haz 4-5/deep dives/EDD's, you want to take more powerful passive perks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never observed breach cutter FF being a problem, but for fat boy friendly provides a lot of peace of mind for when a mosquito flies in front of the barrel right when you fire

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Driller's axe is extremely satisfying to use against the macteras.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cowcaster posted:

who in payday 2 did evil eye

Simon Viklund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sometimes the game decides to stomp a mud puddle into your back