Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Lid posted:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo

Lmao.

Glossary for that tweet:

Kabu basically means the Elder Stock/Share that determines their Elder Name. There is a set number of these in existence, they do not change, just get passed around.

SumoDB is a third party database tracking various Sumo information.

Tochiozan and Ikioi are currently active sumo wrestlers.

Intai means retirement from being an active wrestler, whether or not you have a Kabu lined up that is necessary to become an elder.

Kiyomigata and Kasugayama are two of the existing Kabu.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Of course, all according to keikaku.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

To add onto that, while he's active, Tochiozan doesn't need to use his kabu. If he is retiring, he will want it back.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1270565647592939520

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1254279073498566656
a perennial big boi

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So mbovosumo streamed the Nagoya Basho 2000 - Days 1 to 7.

Maybe we could do a tournament surrounding it? I haven't watched it and being new to sumo I don't know anything about this one

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/646114595

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1273892361261789190

Sumo kittens :swoon:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The one on the right looks terrified

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1275126895261122567

Seems like good news for both, maybe we'll see Yago doing well again? And maybe we'll see Tomokaze...at all? He'll be fighting his way back up from Makushita though, if not even lower, by the time he returns. Oh poo poo I just realized Yago fell to Makushita as well, he's at ms1w though, so all he needs is any kind of winning record.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I loving PRAY that Takayasu did the needful and rested his hairy rear end. If he does himself a damage in the next Basho then it's curtains for that man.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes, if anything good comes out of this, I hope that the wrestlers that need it got a good long rest.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So do we think that Nagoya-in-Tokyo is gonna happen? I'm still sort of undecided if I really believe it will.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Kenning posted:

So do we think that Nagoya-in-Tokyo is gonna happen? I'm still sort of undecided if I really believe it will.

Seems likely, I haven't seen any more reported cases from the stables, and businesses in Japan have been opening up for a couple weeks now already, people are getting haircuts and eating at restaurants, etc.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Must be cool to live in a non-failed state.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kenning posted:

Must be cool to live in a non-failed state.

more like non-failed society. government has been p useless here. folks are getting itchy tho and i figure we'll have another wave before there's a vaccine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
As an update on that situation, it looks like the Basho happening is basically all but certain, and they're considering holding it with a crowd:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I wanted to see trump go to Japan again, it was funny to me. Maybe next year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In case any of you are unaware, incredibly serious allegations have been made about SomethingAwful's owner Lowtax, and at the moment there is a lot of confusion about what this means for SA.

I made a specific thread to discuss the Lowtax situation and what might happen to Fight Island, you may want to think about what this means for this thread as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just smh if Hakuho's career outlives these dumb forums.

I've thought about it a few times over the years, I spend a lot of time on the forums and I'm not sure there's a great replacement other than filtering in with the general reddit rabble. Well, who knows what the future holds.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The beginning 20 pages or so of this thread is a classic example of how good this forum can be. I really hope things don't go under but I also don't want to be lining the pockets of its owner if the allegations are true.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there a sumo goon discord or something?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

EthanSteele posted:

Not from what I know.

I think at least for now until we get things figured out as a more permanent solution, we can hang out in the MMA discord, it's relatively small as it is. I just asked Mekchu to create a channel there so you'll find #hakuhos-hangout on the discord available at this link: https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EthanSteele posted:

no but as Brut said the MMA discord i'm running made a channel for the sumo boys to crash on. (we all like sumo style wrestling in MMA, ask skip bayless).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's also this goon server, which seems to be more about the whole of SA then a specific group: https://discord.gg/5BEHpq

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

As an update on that situation, it looks like the Basho happening is basically all but certain, and they're considering holding it with a crowd:

Would they limit the number in attendance?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

bessantj posted:

Would they limit the number in attendance?

potentially. They are discussing limiting the number of people in boxes, spacing seats out in pairs, etc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

potentially. They are discussing limiting the number of people in boxes, spacing seats out in pairs, etc.

I should imagine there would be big demand for tickets and it would be great it see Sumo on the go again as long as it is safe for all.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They decided not to re-do the banzuke to get the retired wrestlers out, so it is still this for July. (presuming the basho is still on)

Martytoof posted:

Allow me to ease your burden sempai ^___^

code:
 East                    Rank                   West

Hakuho                 Yokozuna                Kakuryu
Takakeisho              Ozeki                  Asanoyama        
Shodai                 Sekiwake                Mitakeumi
Daieisho               Komusubi                Okinoumi
Endo                      M1                   Yutakayama
Takanosho                 M2                   Onosho
Takarafuji                M3                   Kiribayama
Kagayaki                  M4                   Aoiyama
Abi                       M5                   Hokutofuji
Enho                      M6                   Ryuuden
Terutsuyoshi              M7                   Tokoshoryu
Ishiura                   M8                   Chiyotairyu
Tamawashi                 M9                   Ikioi
Kaisei                    M10                  Myogiryu
Shimanoumi                M11                  Toshinoshin
Sadanoumi                 M12                  Shohozan
Takayasu                  M13                  Kotonowaka
Kotoshogiku               M14                  Wakatakakage 
Kotoshoho                 M15                  Chiyomaru
Nishikigi                 M16                  Kotoeko
Terunofuji                M17                  Kotoyuki

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Tochinoshin with time to heal is scary. Knee's still made of glass and duct tape but maybe he'll make moves this month

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Spokes posted:

Tochinoshin with time to heal is scary. Knee's still made of glass and duct tape but maybe he'll make moves this month

I hope they could do whatever they did to Rey Mysterio’s knees to his.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Rigel posted:

They decided not to re-do the banzuke to get the retired wrestlers out, so it is still this for July. (presuming the basho is still on)

Wait who's actually officially retired from that list? I thought all we had were rumors due to some Kabu being swapped around? I'm probably just forgetting someone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

When is the basho scheduled again? I'd love to run another fantasy tournament.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Kenning posted:

When is the basho scheduled again? I'd love to run another fantasy tournament.

19th of this month.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cool! Plenty of time to get our picks in. Looking forward to getting back to it, I think the lack of sumo has made the last 4 months seem even longer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cage Kicker posted:

I hope they could do whatever they did to Rey Mysterio’s knees to his.

That was a lot of stem cell therapy

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I bet they've had him training hard, he'll have had about a days worth of recovery.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
If I'm understanding this correctly, it looks like Nakagawa stable will be disbanded and its wrestlers will be scattered to different stables, following a recording of Nakagawa-Okayata using some inappropriate language during training being submitted to the Sumo Association, the discriminatory language was likely used (though the article doesn't say) towards the Mongolian wrestler, Kyokusoten.

In other news, the Sumo Association is expected to announce on Monday the 13th an official decision regarding whether or not the upcoming Basho will have an audience in attendance.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1282251178575831041

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 12, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Wait who's actually officially retired from that list? I thought all we had were rumors due to some Kabu being swapped around? I'm probably just forgetting someone.

IIRC there were some vets in the low ranks, but no one in Makuuchi or Juryo which is probably why they are ok with keeping the banzuke since it doesn’t affect anyone’s pay. At the very least Shobushi was still on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That doesn't surprise me, I assume some of the lower rankers had to get real jobs when the heyas closed, and most normal jobs pay better for less work. I'm sure a lot of them like not being in pain after brutal training every day.