Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dk2m posted:

I mean honestly, thats the appeal now, for good or for bad. I would genuinely prefer to own the ancient Z over a ZL1 because I can actually drive the former rather than babysit the latter

It’s like buying a new vintage car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The new Regal GS is basically a budget A5

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You know what, gently caress it, the nineties twin turbo 300ZX is the best Z. None of the other ones have been as loving cool as poo poo as that car.

My uncle had two, though both were automatics and neither were twin turbos. Still at least looked cool.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Long ago, I could've gotten my aunt and uncle's old 300ZX TT but an automatic and I was a manual elitist. :(

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

LibCrusher posted:

The new Regal GS is basically a budget A5

A surprisingly decent GM car that probably nobody bought. :smith:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mental Hospitality posted:

A surprisingly decent GM car that probably nobody bought. :smith:

Hopefully Chrysler will do a better job of marketing it lol

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Oldest Man posted:

It's probably because the majority of Buicks are this totally forgettable suppository:

That's about half of all Buicks sold in the last couple of years.

A motorized boomer barstool. Spiritual companion to the Hoveround.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

90s Solo Cup posted:

A motorized boomer barstool. Spiritual companion to the Hoveround.

Beautiful

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

You know what, gently caress it, the nineties twin turbo 300ZX is the best Z. None of the other ones have been as loving cool as poo poo as that car.

My uncle had two, though both were automatics and neither were twin turbos. Still at least looked cool.

nah, nowhere near as good as the original 240z

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's kind of amazing that the Z has been around so long now that it's looped around from being an outdated joke to being retro and cool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They still make Buicks? I can't even think of what a single modern Buick looks like.

The Oldest Man posted:

It's probably because the majority of Buicks are this totally forgettable suppository:

That's about half of all Buicks sold in the last couple of years.

Oh, right. That thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

What the gently caress are you smoking

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:stwoon:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It sold on BAT for 310k earlier this year so you're not the only one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KillHour posted:

They still make Buicks? I can't even think of what a single modern Buick looks like.

Oh, right. That thing.

The Regal TourX is a legit good looking wagon with a nice interior that they just quit building.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Regal TourX is a legit good looking wagon with a nice interior that they just quit building.

No they didn't, they stopped rebadging them from Opel.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KillHour posted:

I played a shitload of Gran Turismo and GT2, so the Z32 holds a special place in my heart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

90s Solo Cup posted:

I played a shitload of Gran Turismo and GT2, so the Z32 holds a special place in my heart.

I wasn't even alive when the Z240 could be bought new, but it's still objectively better looking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Z32 has cool rear lights and is definitely a nice looking car but an S30 is beautiful.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like this car.

A stunning return to form of making nice looking cars for Acura. I really like this car. I hope there's a way to option it to not have that red leather interior. I would've liked it in my early 20's, but now I'd rather be in a typical Honda coal mine interior. Hopefully they (the cars) all look this good. The era of the third gen TL, TSX, and RSX were such a high point for them. The 2008 TL hobart meat slicer grille was the worst thing visited on a car since Mazda introduced fake exhaust pipes on bumpers with the Mazdaspeed 6.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

See, I respect it and I think it looks great but the Z32 stole my heart when it came out. I was a teenager in the nineties and that was the one that I wanted. Not an old tin can Datsun but this beautiful twin turbo spaceship. I had posters of it on my wall. I had a model of it (along with a sweet Dodge Stealth and a WS6 Firebird). It's the one I want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've never understood the fascination with the 300ZX

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It makes my pants SO TIGHT

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KillHour posted:

I wasn't even alive when the Z240 could be bought new, but it's still objectively better looking.

240Z was objectively a good car when it came out and you could argue that it still shows it's qualities even today. No question it's looks are absolutly timeless

Z32 300ZX to me was an also ran before it got into the showrooms and was shown up as more like a barge by any number of sporting cars Japan and Europe came out with around the same time. And that TT version? My favorite story is despite is power it qualified stone motherless last at a Bathurst3? 6? hour and barely completed a lap at any speed, it was so unreliable. And it's worse crime? It's a boring car to drive. It's just ..... nothing. A characterless awful sounding V6 and a chassis that put you to sleep because it was that uninteresting to drive. Cant say I hated driving it, it was more just .... boring. To me that is an unltimate sin for a car billed as being sporty

Which was kinda jarring given Nissan itself was very much on a high with some quite drat good cars to drive, their I6's were amazing let alone it produced what is arguably the greatest car of the late 80's / early 90's, the R32 GT-R. I could probably name half a dozen cars and even 4WD's Nissan made at the same time that were more than just decent and better than the 300ZX even.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Combination of a number of things. Teenager into cars, twin turbos, sporty looks at the time. Plus you had the 3000GT VR4 around too for all out craziness.

In short, guess something different that struck a chord.

As for the Buick comments I have to laugh about the midwest one. If I drive over a mile I'll spot a Buick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't see how the 3000GT has anything to do with why people like the 300ZX

I like the styling of the 300ZX but everything I've heard aligns with what CT said - not special to drive

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This isn't a new car since its been out for a while, but I was just informed that the upcharge engine in the Cadillac CT4, GM's 340i competitor, is...the 2.7l 4 cylinder from the base Silverado?

GM is so confusing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

This isn't a new car since its been out for a while, but I was just informed that the upcharge engine in the Cadillac CT4, GM's 340i competitor, is...the 2.7l 4 cylinder from the base Silverado?

GM is so confusing

If a trucky torque-focused turbo-4 is the upcharge engine, what's the base? Is the base engine the 1.2L I3 from the Buick Encore GX and Trailblazer?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't see how the 3000GT has anything to do with why people like the 300ZX

I like the styling of the 300ZX but everything I've heard aligns with what CT said - not special to drive

Nostalgia I guess I could shorten it with. Hell you had the Supra running around that time as well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is so confusing

Engineering Explained has a pretty good video about the engine, with an intro about how goddamn confusing GM is in their strategy here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYzWoAJYFe4

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nostalgia I guess I could shorten it with. Hell you had the Supra running around that time as well.

yeah it's probably just a personal taste but i strongly prefer RX-7, Supra, and to a lesser extent Stealth/3000GT to the 300ZX, which was the least compelling of the Japanese Sport GT Coupes to me.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Z32 300ZX to me was an also ran before it got into the showrooms and was shown up as more like a barge by any number of sporting cars Japan and Europe came out with around the same time. And that TT version? My favorite story is despite is power it qualified stone motherless last at a Bathurst3? 6? hour and barely completed a lap at any speed, it was so unreliable. And it's worse crime? It's a boring car to drive. It's just ..... nothing. A characterless awful sounding V6 and a chassis that put you to sleep because it was that uninteresting to drive. Cant say I hated driving it, it was more just .... boring. To me that is an unltimate sin for a car billed as being sporty

Look, objectively you’re not wrong but also on the other hand you shut your whore mouth!

Chalk me up also for the teenage poster fan club. I know the realities of them which is why I never actually spent my own money on one, but that doesn’t mean the dream isn’t still alive! I always thought of them as more of a GT cruiser than the sports car they were billed as too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah it's probably just a personal taste but i strongly prefer RX-7, Supra, and to a lesser extent Stealth/3000GT to the 300ZX, which was the least compelling of the Japanese Sport GT Coupes to me.

MR2 turbos running around too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

MR2 turbos running around too.

if it aint an AW11 i dont acknowledge

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if it aint an AW11 i dont acknowledge

I mean, I owned an AW11 and while it is superior, the SW20s were sexy as gently caress and awesome in their own right.

Most importantly to my post, they were produced at the same time as the 300ZX and was deffo superior.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Engineering Explained has a pretty good video about the engine, with an intro about how goddamn confusing GM is in their strategy here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYzWoAJYFe4

Boy howdy. Cars are pretty strange in 2020:

Engineering Explained posted:

"To recap so far: A Cadillac sedan is a truck, a Mercedes Genuine SUV is a coupe, and if you want the best fuel economy, get the V8"

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dk2m posted:

I drove that car nearly 10/10ths on every backroad and while it had hustle, I never got into arrested territory

Is the posted speed on your backroads 120 mph or something?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Tone deaf post deleted.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 29, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Is the posted speed on your backroads 120 mph or something?

yeah seriously a 370z at 10/10 is still straight-to-jail illegal on public roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this is a weird and gross post what is wrong with you