Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

We're kind of past the point of "needs", though. At this point we're in the "it'd be cool if" stage of expanding the design, and an additional class would definitely be cool. A dedicated melee fighter would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kith posted:

We're kind of past the point of "needs", though. At this point we're in the "it'd be cool if" stage of expanding the design, and an additional class would definitely be cool. A dedicated melee fighter would be awesome.

my light weapon is an axe and my heavy weapon is an enormous axe

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Kith posted:

Dedicated melee fighter? We've already got Steve!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sloober posted:

my light weapon is an axe and my heavy weapon is an enormous axe

You need to diversify your loadout a bit. Bring a hammer.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kith posted:

You need to diversify your loadout a bit. Bring a hammer.

And make it orky

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
New class:

Elf_____

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

New class:

Elf_____

Nope, it's a Barrel Bot

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Xaris posted:

they had one on the roadmap for awhile. but i presume it's probably been shelved for the forseeable future. the only reason it would be nice is allowing a flex slot for people to swap around instead of asking to swap, but otherwise yes i don't really think there needs one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Playable Bosco, let's go.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/MOyigf4.mp4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In experimental branch:

**3 x NEW SECONDARY OBJECTIVES ----------------------------** We’ve added three new Secondary Mission Objectives to spice things up a bit. *GUNK SEEDS:* Shoot the hanging slimesacks to release the precious Gunk Seeds within! *EBONUTS:* Destroy the tough outer shell and harvest the nuts inside! *FESTER FLEAS:* Pest control - take out these small annoying bugs before they start multiplying!

**NEW ENEMY: KORLOK TYRANT-WEED ----------------------------** The Tyrant-Weed is a brand new encounter for you to...encounter in the caves. Take out the central Heart-Growth before it manages to seed the surrounding area with so many shooting sproutlings that it overwhelms you! When you have destroyed it remember to deposit the Tyrant Shards, which will reward you with a nice credit and XP Bonus at the Mission Complete screen.

**BIOME UPDATES ----------------------------** Radioactive Exclusion Zone, Dense Biozone, Fungus Bogs have all gotten a bunch of new shapes added to them. Huge Mushrooms, Coral-like Growths, and more - go explore to discover it all!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh god, a greygreen goo scenario :gonk:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ciaphas posted:

oh god, a greygreen goo helvetica scenario :gonk:

Find calcium deposits ASAP

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Turin Turambar posted:

**3 x NEW SECONDARY OBJECTIVES ----------------------------** We’ve added three new Secondary Mission Objectives to spice things up a bit. *GUNK SEEDS:* Shoot the hanging slimesacks to release the precious Gunk Seeds within! *EBONUTS:* Destroy the tough outer shell and harvest the nuts inside! *FESTER FLEAS:* Pest control - take out these small annoying bugs before they start multiplying!

This is STD themed, right?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

This is STD themed, right?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GOTY

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
well that does NOT leave much up to the imagination

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

But can you slap them like the dice in the drop pod?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I've been playing scout with Hoverclock M1K and special powder shotgun, with Born Ready and I gotta say this is pretty ridiculously fun. Between special powder and the hover focus you can just hang in-air until your grapple reloads and recover from basically any fuckup if you remember to weaponswitch fast enough. Just jumping and shooting with the special powder gives you some crazy horizontal momentum too, it's great.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Drakenel posted:

But can you slap them like the dice in the drop pod?
:emptyquote:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/UNsnkJp.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GSbBJ7G.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The Tyrant Weed on experimental is pretty cool, it's basically another miniboss like dreads or bet-c complete with boss health bar. It's a big flower that sprouts mini-spitballers nearby and is immune to damage during. Kill some of the sprouts and the main flower opens up allowing you to shoot the weak spot on it. The sprouts are also pretty much unkillable while in their "growing" state, they're not invulnerable but they regen so ridiculously fast they might as well be. It's a hectic encounter and its a lot of fun!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the plot twist on this one is real

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/xG4Xz4V.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm so happy to know that "pelt the slackers with grenades" is a universal behavior

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Just start squirting them with FF, they'll get the idea.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kith posted:

I'm so happy to know that "pelt the slackers with grenades" is a universal behavior

I think of it more as ensuring all resources invested in the mission are properly utilized and disposed of. Keep the books neat for management, y'know :angel:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So does anyone have suggestions on how to make scout not feel like total arse to play when the fighting starts? I know they're not supposed to be a powerhouse in a fight but, dang, promoted now and I still don't think I like either primary or secondary very much at all :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

So does anyone have suggestions on how to make scout not feel like total arse to play when the fighting starts? I know they're not supposed to be a powerhouse in a fight but, dang, promoted now and I still don't think I like either primary or secondary very much at all :(

Scout has... very weak weapons compared to a decked out flamethrower/autocannon/minigun/bc/stubby/warthog/etc so you aren't really alone.

That said, Bullets of Mercy G2K is pretty drat great especially with IFG and Phosphorous rounds Boomstick because you can light up with a boomstick to set em on fire and magdump with BoM G2K to instant kill most things

You can see my build here at the bottom: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3851689&pagenumber=97&perpage=40#post504963833

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You have two combat builds:

Version one - generalist killing:
Deep Core GK2:
Bullets of Mercy Overclock

Jury rigged Boomstick:
Jumbo Shells Overclock

Version two - geared more towards killing hard targets with the M1K and then swarm killing with the Zuks
M1K:
Minimal Clips Overclock

Zukovs
Gas Recycling Overclock
1313(2/1) use 1 on the last tier if you're using IFL's.

You can also have a look here for builds for all guns and classes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cet1j7oWgf9_UjtttDUrumRdctBjsczZwjnY6x_Q4y0/edit#gid=1977218441

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I feel decently strong as scout using shotgun and assault rifle with the weakpoints damage mod, shotgun with blow through can handle clumps of a swarm and rifle can delete weakpoints. The big thing was learning to constantly reposition with grapple to hit weakpoints on praetorians and kite around swarms, meaning you rarely take damage and can help pull aggro away from the rest. I normally empty a mag, reload, and grapple.

Cap it off with ice grenade, that's my emergency button and you really delete frozen enemies with the AR.

You can't handle large groups as efficiently as gunner and driller but I've singlehandedly saved rounds by being mobile and rezzing people after clearing the bugs clumped on their body with ice grenade. You should be hard to pin down and usually the last to die.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or the first to die if a mis-grapple happens.
Pro-tip: Bulk Detonators do not care where you are or how fast you're going if you get within their melee range :v:

The only time a scout should be standing around is when you're in a narrow tunnel and everything's being funneled towards you. In big open rooms, use that openness. Target PITA enemies like web/acid spitters, mactera's, etc. The only 'weak' weapon the scout has is the M1K at the moment.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Find calcium deposits ASAP

I appreciate this post.

For scout i like to take g2k with whatever overclock, jumbo shells, the perk that makes your guns reload when they arent equipped and just try to focus on positioning, rezzing people, kiting stuff around, making sure nobodys fighting in the dark.

I love the other classes but bumbling around in the dark with a bad pub scout is really painful so i end up playing it most of the time as i don't trust anyone

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The scout should be the designated survivor. Don't feel bad about ditching the rest of your team and legging it to safety/the drop pod if things go south.

For actually killing bugs the assault rifle with Bullets of Mercy feels super good to play as, and I accompany it with incendiary shotgun shells.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sometimes i don't even play DRG for over a week

then i punch myself in the face

Ciaphas posted:

run and grapple around with the assault rifle like call of duty dwarf just ramboing everything and it'll feel cool and fun even though you aren't actually doing much

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

People will appreciate you for your flares and mineral collection. Zipping behind praetorians/oppressors to quickly waste them by mag dumping into their butt is also stylish and sexy. But the real pro scouts are also the ones who do all that and also don't die randomly and force their team to pick up your rear end and carry you the whole game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh I'm good at doing scout-y things; that's partly why I'm kvetching, because my god some pubbie scouts who never use the flare gun :mad: but getting it done right myself means the shootymans feels anemic. Maybe I'll get used to it but it's hard to do after the glory of Gunner popping a swarm from a distance with one explosive bullet

(e) On reflection the important part is probably that I don't have any sodding G2K or sawed-off overclocks somehow :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 6, 2020

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

New class:

Elf_____

I've wanted a Medic dwarf that can mine and store red sugar for healing on the go or use it to throw temporary beer buffs or possibly even convert it into a deployable 1 mag for the current weapon per teammate but my friends mostly disagree. I do admit the game wasn't designed around it, but on Hazard 4 and 5... well, I can dream.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I've wanted a Medic dwarf that can mine and store red sugar for healing on the go or use it to throw temporary beer buffs or possibly even convert it into a deployable 1 mag for the current weapon per teammate but my friends mostly disagree. I do admit the game wasn't designed around it, but on Hazard 4 and 5... well, I can dream.

Being able to hand someone who joined mid game a Pot O' Gold when on a gold rush mission would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
I can confirm that sentiment about the scout. It has been my most played class for the longest time with 3 gold promotions now, but I am really growing tired of it, playing mostly haz5 these days. The mobility and carrying games by not dying and reviving your team countless time is great, but the obligation to mine everything (I've got everything already) and the combat really feels like a chore these days. Other classes basically just need to hold down the fire button in a good spot to do some proper damage, whereas the scout needs a constantly higher effort to always sprint around groups of enemies, while aiming for their weakpoints with his anemic primary and trying to line 'em up for useful shots with his blowthrough-shotgun. But all this fades away when you encounter another scout again that does not care about getting enough nitra or lighting the caves.