Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
A

Gotta keep that deniability if we're going to do anything other than sacrifice the orbs to El.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Diogines posted:

...he fetches a pitcher and reaches for two cups from a cabinet, then pauses, puts back one of the cups and takes a different, much larger cup as he walks back towards you…

I appreciate this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A, speak about nothing for now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

"Do you recall an incident near the edge of the mountains? That may have been it "

I recall a lot of incidents at the edge of mountains. You're going to have to be more specific.

Because lol.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

You know, I kind of wonder what Ish would say if we came back from a trip like this and immediately took the super pious no more heresy stance and we’re like born-again evangelical fervor about it. Start ranting and raving about blasphemy and heresy and respecting the house of el etc etc. I kind of want to do it just to see his face and then break kayfabe and say ‘lol nah I totally broke into a heathen temple and got invited to a party aunt sex cult but El’s still dope. so what’s up with you?’

basically I just want to pull another Ishamath.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

By popular demand posted:

WTF Diog, Ish was always described as bald!
did we mess up reality in unexpected ways? ..... more than usual?
Ishamal is not bald and the picture is not perfect. It is intended to give you something to look at, but we have no artistic skill when it comes to making images.

Tudiya isn't bald either.

Unless otherwise noted, no character picture is generally spot on, though sometimes we do note that. Character names are pronounced however they are in your own head and look however you think they look.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he also directly and explicitly acknowledged the risk of us turning into a rampaging monster when talking about Everystrike which I'm not sure has happened before
He has.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

alpaca diseases posted:

Is there anything that’s being withheld from me that I’m now trusted enough to know?
"Nothing immediately comes to mind? It has been a year and you've done well to not empty your Well, topple the social order or out yourself as not entirely human, but it has only been a year."

Polgas posted:

Questions:
Ask Ish if he has any tips on fighting an IO if they manage to turn into a giant flame monster that burns blooded bronze. Evade until they run out of juice?
Ishamal says "Yes. Try not to die? Generally a good idea."

Polgas posted:

Do you have any cider from Karnak we can drink?
"Me? No."

Polgas posted:

How suicidal is Paebel scouting Kitron with an embigginner?
"I am not generally in the habit of helping you defy your father. Giving you guidance to cover your scandalous conduct is one thing, but... well. Paebel is fine man. I imagine you probably won't be happy if you send him anywhere near Kitron."

Polgas posted:

Did Ish not react or comment at all when we told him about the 2 cannibals that we let go?
He did not. You ask him what he thinks of it. "I'd say something about Mercy but you took to ridiculous Dogmatic degree and then named your club after it. Certainly the situation of those two was pitiable."

Polgas posted:

Any express orders on the rocks from "Badad" if we intend to mine for our own use?
He sips from his cup. You ask more questions about Badad. He sips some more. You try asking questions which vaugley relate to Badad. He sips some more. In fact he looked aggresively disinterested when you told him about your trip to "Badad". When you fail to take the hint and continue to try to get more about Badad out of him, he empties his cup and, while maintaining eye contact with you and thus not looking at it, fills his cup again from the pitcher and continues to drink.

Polgas posted:

Does saving Karnak count towards reconciling with Chait?
"Heroics are a step in the right direction towards reconciling with him, and i'd like to say it was a fine step in the right direction... but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it'll sway him much. He was rather upset."

Polgas posted:

Perception check inside his home for anything that looks like the stuff we managed to discover but better?
Nothing obvious jumps out at you. Ishamal's home is rather clean but otherwise looks like a reasonably respectable, wealthy Zepathan home, if a bit on the quiet side as he lives alone.

Polgas posted:

Should we expect Nisaba or someone close to Nisaba to arrive during the jubilee seeking vengeance?
This question is skipped because we've not processed the vote about Carine yet.

Polgas posted:

Is it okay to use our magic on the nusku gems such as trying to snuff out the flame or try to pull them off the skin?
"Don't experiment with unknown abilities or similar things you don't understand."

Patrick Spens posted:

Is there a plan to stop everyone being eaten by demons? Cause sitting here it sure seems like a Great City was taken over and would still be entralled by a demon If I hadn't had the (frankly kinda irresponsible and self-centered) idea to go sight-seeing across the known world. And it would be nice if I could get some assurance that the plan for the defense of Ur doesn't hinge upon me getting wanderlust.
"I certainly hope so."

malbogio posted:

"Could those following the Anaki with glowing eyes still have been saved?"
Can you clarify who you meant?

malbogio posted:

"Would it be unwise to repair a defaced altar to El myself?"
"Speak with a priest upon such matters." According to your education repairing a broken or defaced altar is a righteous thing to do, and they should be properly decomised if they can't be.

malbogio posted:

"I saw a list of 18 rules in my journeys. Would it be mistaken to follow them?"
This relates to the tower, which we didn't process the vote on yet.

malbogio posted:

"Might forgotten tools like the living city be put back to work or do they cause too much harm through their spectacle?"
"They might be. Though men are easily led astray to bow in reverance before those with more power than they, as you have seen from the many cults, deranged lunatics and monsters you've run into over the years. Please don't steal any giant ancient things you might run across if it looks like doing so is going to kick up a fuss, thank you."

malbogio posted:

"Does the demon Nusku only care about gold because people care about it?"
Ishamal sips.

malbogio posted:

"Do intelligent monsters that act sadistically towards humans do so for a purpose? Does inflicting fear give them power?"
"Some of them I am sure do it at least partially motivated by sadism."

malbogio posted:

"Do you suppose the demon tree was very old? They couldn't have just turned a normal tree into a demon tree by spilling blood on it, could they?"
"I'd need to take a look at it. You have it under guard?" Yes, away from anyone and everything which might come into contact with it "That was well done. Good. I'll come visit Kavodel soon to look it over. If the hammer says to use it in the forge though, I trust the advice it will give you is sound in that regard."

malbogio posted:

"If I were able to show that my judgement had grown sufficiently with age could you share more about the secrets of the world with me?"
"I have told you more as time has passed and you've demonstrated sound judgment. More will be shared in the future."

super sweet best pal posted:

Ask Ish what should be done about the blood tree and if removing it would violate Zepa’s law
Ishamal asks "Did you learn anything about it on your journey?" You tell him yes, er... everyone I asked said it was something different, but they all said it was bad and to destroy it, including Amos, the Earth Matriarch and the king of Karnak. Ishamal says "Then maybe you want to consider their advice? What are you going to do if some child jumps the fence and skins its knee over the roots of that tree?" Ishamal pauses "Well I can tell you what your father will do of course, I don't need to though, do I?"

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ask Ishamal: I met a staggering amount of sorcerers on this trip. I there any training we can do to better prepare me for future encounters with magic?
"Probably, but I am not training you for such things, I am training you to control yourself so you don't empty your Well out, or otherwise make a giant mess of things by virtue of your unusual heritage."

Have you ever ridden a horse?
"Yes." Was it fun. "Yes." What was the horses name? "I have ridden a number of them." What was the name of the LAST horse you rode? "Laughs-In-The-Wind".

"Every-Strike is not the only living item we have met, though he is the first we have created. What.. are they? Vessels for the Melachim? People? Machines? Demons? - The beast at Acco had a mace with a similar, but sinister presence."
Ishamal sips.

"What is the Akashic Record?"
Ishamal keeps sipping.

"Could I visit the Orm again without endangering my mind?"
"If you visit the Orm again, it is probably going to enslave you to its will, again. That said, if you want to go, go, you are a free man."

"Speaking of, I might need a Citrus Reinforcement, what with everything that has been happening..."
"I checked. It is doing fine."

What advice does Ish have for dealing with Nusku?
Ishamal shrugs.

Toughy posted:

Who put those protections in place and do they remain?
"I did, with some help."

Outrail posted:

Have we ever heard the term shrapnel before?
Yes.

Olothreutes posted:

Hey Ish, think I could have beaten the Udug? It sounded really cool.
"I don't know. Maybe? I have a guess at what it is from the description, but i'm not familliar with that name."

Victis posted:

Ish, you're a master carpenter and have literally travelled the world. Do you know where wood strong enough for slingapults grows?
"I am most CERTAINLY not helping you build weapons."

Zodiac5000 posted:

Does a [¿¿Unknown Unit of Non-Trivial-Distance??] extend from Kavodel to Kitron? Do you have any idea how far that is?
Ishamal sips. Then pauses. Then says "The laurels are not going to help you much anymore, you are too noticable. Relying on them is probably not a great idea."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

quote:

1. As to the topics of Chorazin, the tower in Carine and the message from the Earth Matriarch, did you want to speak to Ishamal about either? Pick as many as needed.
A. Nope.
B. I speak with him about Chorazin.
C. I speak with him about the tower Carine. Yeah, maybe its not uh… ideal to tell him I broke into a place the House of El set off limits, but I do need to eventually decide if I send back those glowing orbs or not, and who else am I going to ask for guidance about that?
D. You know what actually, what do I care if some Kadmonim… thing asked me not to share a message? I do speak with Ishamal about the message I received from the Earth Matriarch.
E. I speak to him about all of the above.
Voting is closed.

You told Ishamal about the tower. You can freely question him about anything related to that now if you want. You ask him what many of the things you found inside and discover swiftly that he won't help you determine the function of anything that you found in there, if he even knows what they did or are.

You did not tell him about the message you received from the Earth Matriarch, nor mention the incidents at Chorazin.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 5, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Tell Ish “Cmon man. Naming that thing Mercy is pretty funny even if we take the saying a bit too literally at times. Or did we offend someone by not taking it seriously enough?”

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Diogines posted:

Ishamal sips. Then pauses. Then says "The laurels are not going to help you much anymore, you are too noticable. Relying on them is probably not a great idea."

Can they be improved and if so can you help me improve them?

Can you teach me how to use my sandals properly?

malbogio posted:

Was I participating in worship of a heathen God by participating in the Battle Room?

What would have happened if I had continued?

Would I have been strong enough to clock it?

Say I took something from an ancient citadel that no one has entered for millennia, not that I did of course, is there anything in particular that I shouldn't allow people to see- knowledge, items or the like? Not that there's any chance of that happening of course

Likewise is there anything that you would help me ID? Again, not that there would be, seeing as no ancient citadels were looted on my trip of course

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

quote:

Can they be improved and if so can you help me improve them?
"Maybe. And no. And messing with them on your own is probably a bad idea."

quote:

Can you teach me how to use my sandals properly?
"Your mother didn't teach you how to tie a sandal strap?"

quote:

"I am not going to tell you how to live your life."

quote:

Was I participating in worship of a heathen God by participating in the Battle Room?
After a long pause Ishamal says "...you would probably say it a good thing you stopped."

quote:

What would have happened if I had continued?
Sip.

quote:

Would I have been strong enough to clock it?
Siiiiiip.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Did you ever go by the name Aish of Ishat?

Was the tower truly abandoned?

Should I worry about retaliation from the tower's owner?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

malbogio posted:

Did you ever go by the name Aish of Ishat?
"No."

malbogio posted:

Was the tower truly abandoned?
He takes a drink.

malbogio posted:

Should I worry about retaliation from the tower's owner?
"If it has one, maybe?"

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Given that the laurels came with some restrictions, does it make sense to just to bury them and forget about them?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
. Was it really an ancient shrine to El in that tower?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm going to bold this as a vote because it's something I want to do after our chat with Ish, not because I want to mention it to Ish (not that I want to hide it, but I doubt he would care?): we should talk to Zebanetha before we go back to Kavodel.

He has previously told us he believes some of the old tales may be allegorical, so I would like to ask him about what he thinks about Badad/Ninhursag, some of the Karnak Metropolitan Area priests being either traitors or infiltrators, whether he thinks an ancient shrine which we found in an unspecified location could have been a shrine to El, and whether the 18 commandments could have been an early/regional/now-obsolete variant of El-worship.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diogines posted:

Is that because the events at Karnak were very... noticeable?

Also, Diog, given our experience with the Amok Tree, wouldn't a child need to hop the fence, skin their knee on the roots, and then take a nap under it for several hours?

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde

Waci posted:

I'm going to bold this as a vote because it's something I want to do after our chat with Ish, not because I want to mention it to Ish (not that I want to hide it, but I doubt he would care?): we should talk to Zebanetha before we go back to Kavodel.

He has previously told us he believes some of the old tales may be allegorical, so I would like to ask him about what he thinks about Badad/Ninhursag, some of the Karnak Metropolitan Area priests being either traitors or infiltrators, whether he thinks an ancient shrine which we found in an unspecified location could have been a shrine to El, and whether the 18 commandments could have been an early/regional/now-obsolete variant of El-worship.

This. We definitely have a lot to talk to Zeb about.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Olothreutes posted:

Is that because the events at Karnak were very... noticeable?

Also, Diog, given our experience with the Amok Tree, wouldn't a child need to hop the fence, skin their knee on the roots, and then take a nap under it for several hours?

I mean we don't know how it reacts to human blood, just cow blood. Maybe human blood would make it react more vigorously.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

If Kitron is a bad idea what about Paebel scouting Gezer? Can I come along?

Is Paebel scouting during the jubilee safer?

Do we know of cities in the past that voluntarily had kings renounce their kingship to be magistrates of another city?

Can you tell me if the trip south or Karnak was more noticeable?

Is the House of El aware of the things I did at Carine?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I think it was pretty clear that we made Everystrike ourself, but with plenty of oversight and direct instruction, and then we got memory snipped.

Can't have clear memories of the Ophanim of the Forge directing us to make a sentient tool, now can we?

I imagine Enkidel doing his light sleeper bit when Dwayne Johnson with four wings POPs into reality in front of us wearing wraparound safety sunglasses, a leather apron loaded with tools, carrying a giant smithing hammer while smoking a cigar. He pokes us awake with the hammer and tells us to get to work while he coaches us on what to do to make Everystrike. When we're done he lightly boops us on the head with the hammer and we wake up as in the update.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ophal's a she iirc. Coincidentally, also another argument for taking on a woman apprentice, the best smith in all of creation besides El Himself is a woman. Surely she might smile upon a mortal woman taking up the trade?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Waci posted:

I sort of assumed we'd get round to it but +1 to talk to Zeb

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ishamal, are you playing a drinking game?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lol. Trio child is chugging 4loco laughing his rear end off.

quote:

"Your mother didn't teach you how to tie a sandal strap?"

Oh you mean the strap on my mystical sandals that both give me a killer manny and the ability to walk up walls like some sort of manspider also have some esoteric function? Please can you teach me this 'tie' ability?

quote:

So they're somewhat useless to us now? Would you consider it an abuse of their power or meddling in the affair of kings to gift them to donut ruler as a trick to make their head explode?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I sort of assumed we'd get round to it but +1 to talk to Zeb

-1 talk to Zeb

Next time: a vote on whether to stupidly tell Zeb all our priest crimes. Then a bunch of questions that if any are even answered, are lies. Pass.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

We were explicitly told not to use the laurels as a weapon. I’m pretty sure intending for someone to melt their head off with them is an offensive use.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TK-42-1 posted:

We were explicitly told not to use the laurels as a weapon. I’m pretty sure intending for someone to melt their head off with them is an offensive use.

That's :thejoke:. But given our history maybe that wasn't so obvious.

But embedding then to the end of Mercy would also be a horribly abusive use of their secondary properties.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
What made me more noticeable? Did my powers grow? Was it that I am more well known?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Pladdicus posted:

What made me more noticeable? Did my powers grow? Was it that I am more well known?

I mean we keep doing Old Tale Heroics and exploding demons in giant pyrotechnic displays. I'd be more surprised if something HADN'T noticed us at this point.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean we keep doing Old Tale Heroics and exploding demons in giant pyrotechnic displays. I'd be more surprised if something HADN'T noticed us at this point.

We are but a humble servant of El. All glory belongs to Him On The Mountain.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Ask Ish if there's anything that we could specifically do to try and repair our relationship with Chait

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just a quick report to Zeb that demons are infiltrating Ur and tell him about the cannibal king as well

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just a quick report to Zeb that demons are infiltrating Ur and tell him about the cannibal king as well

+1 No more, no less.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ask Ishamal:
Can you tell me what CHAZAQ means/does? (explain the effects we saw, how it eventually overcame Barkstone)

"What can be done for Ruth?"

"Can we trust the entity known as Nikali? Would they be a useful ally?"

"Would failing to return the Light-Bringing-Orbs endanger Zepath or Kavodel?"

"Was Amos mistaken?" (About Souls dissipating)

"What are Bluestones, really? Why does El seem to be depicted as one?"

Ask Every-Strike/Enkidels Religious Education
Would constructing a new altar for the temple at Kaovdel be something that We could do, or does it need to be done by a priest?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why have men lost knowledge of some of the fantastic tools we found in the tower?

Have you seen them used in the past?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ask Ishamal:
Can you tell me what CHAZAQ means/does? (explain the effects we saw, how it eventually overcame Barkstone)

חזק
In context it means "be/get strong" as we experienced when Uriah used it to give us a boost.

E: LOL I just figured out that Uriah literally shouted POWER UP! :hellyeah:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 5, 2020

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A Go home to Kavodel, Enkidel. Your city needs you. Spend your time on more fruitful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ish, are you similarly immune to the effects of alcohol, or will our talks like this eventually poison you?