Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

chaibat posted:

There is a fairly decent bhph lot near me and they have a 2010 335i that recently showed up. It’s terrible, auto, gray over dove gray, but I’m tempted to go drive it. Please help me before I get in the well. 135k miles, 2 owners. $7500
the N54 is a fuckin nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

chaibat posted:

There is a fairly decent bhph lot near me and they have a 2010 335i that recently showed up. It’s terrible, auto, gray over dove gray, but I’m tempted to go drive it. Please help me before I get in the well. 135k miles, 2 owners. $7500

lolno, close the tab

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the N54 is a fuckin nightmare.

N55 right since it’s a 2010?

BlackMK4 posted:

lolno, close the tab

BlackMK4 posted:

lolno, close the tab

ok this is helping thanks.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

chaibat posted:

N55 right since it’s a 2010?
iirc the N55 started with the LCI (2011) for the E92, run the VIN through bimmer.work to be sure

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

You’re right — N54. Also a warning for odometer rollback lol.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've never understood the purpose of the two door three series. yes let me make this practical sports sedan less practical in exchange for it uhhh uhh looking swoopier

I've had people in the back seat of my E92 coupe twice in 5 years of owning it, I guess 'practical' is subjective in that regard. I've never had anyone in the backseat of my Miata

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Back seats are a fools folly. All my friends are 45mm metal tubes

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Guinness posted:

Back in the E30-E46 days the overall small size of the car leant itself to a coupe format pretty well. The backseat was already small, so nixing the rear doors and focusing on the front seats made a certain amount of sense for folks looking for that sort of thing.

The E90/92 was kind of the awkward in between stage. But after the F30 and certainly with the G20 the 3-series is relatively enormous and the 2-series exists, I agree the 4-series feels like it has lost the point.

Yeah its following consumer demands that led to size bloat across all vehicles.
Every car always is 'bigger interior than previous one, more safety measures, more cramping zones' bla bla

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've had people in the back seat of my E92 coupe twice in 5 years of owning it, I guess 'practical' is subjective in that regard. I've never had anyone in the backseat of my Miata

a sedan turned in to a coupe is the worst of both worlds!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least the M3s have the option of folding rear seats, unlike most of the competition (Evolution/STI/etc) in the $20k area. Ruins any practicality as a sole car.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Yeah its following consumer demands that led to size bloat across all vehicles.
Every car always is 'bigger interior than previous one, more safety measures, more cramping zones' bla bla

Focus groups never say "I really like it, I just wish there was a little less legroom"

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

chaibat posted:

You’re right — N54. Also a warning for odometer rollback lol.

Ignore these haters. I've had my 2009 335i for a whole two weeks now and its oil leak from a TBD location hasn't even drained the 6.5 quarts yet!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

BlackMK4 posted:

At least the M3s have the option of folding rear seats, unlike most of the competition (Evolution/STI/etc) in the $20k area. Ruins any practicality as a sole car.

The STI doesn't have folding rear seats? Bah, that was the only fun manual sedan I could think of to replace my 335 in the future. I guess M3 it is :v:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The B8 Audi S4 has folding rear seats! So far I've only used them to have my rear quarter panel window smashed so a thief can look in my trunk from the back seat, but they're there!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

vote_no posted:

The STI doesn't have folding rear seats? Bah, that was the only fun manual sedan I could think of to replace my 335 in the future. I guess M3 it is :v:

Depends on the year and body style

Either way, both probably cost about the same to maintain :v:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on the year and body style

Either way, both probably cost about the same to maintain :v:

I'll hold out hope that the 2022 STI is great (and has folding seats).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a sedan turned in to a coupe is the worst of both worlds!
i am a big e92 stan but its true that its about the same weight as the e90, idk if theres any handling benefit

the only real benefit is that the e90 looks dumb as poo poo and the e92 is one of the most handsome cars ever. if it were the other way around i would probably have gotten the e90 for practicality.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oh fwiw I'm guessing the e92 is also more expensive to insure. for some reason my 2010 e92 is about twice as expensive to insure than my 2008 was. the justification they gave is that they consider the "328xi" and "328i xDrive" to be two different cars even though they are literally exactly the same except for the name

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the e90 looks dumb as poo poo

:yeah:

the e92 is one of the most handsome cars ever.

:wtc:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The e90 is literally the best one they’ve made in ages lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
e90m3 is incredibly good, the non-m is blah

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I always assume we’re talking about m cars I forgot about the normal one

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

oh fwiw I'm guessing the e92 is also more expensive to insure. for some reason my 2010 e92 is about twice as expensive to insure than my 2008 was. the justification they gave is that they consider the "328xi" and "328i xDrive" to be two different cars even though they are literally exactly the same except for the name

Wait, what the gently caress. What insurance company is this?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
Biggest gripe with E92 has to be the length of the doors. I curse them nearly every time I'm hopping in/out. Big plus for E90 gang. Also, having owned a couple N54-equipped BMWs I can understand the frustration some owners feel toward the power plant, although wouldn't shy away from owning one myself and I do continue to own my N54-powered E61. To be fair however, it has had every component of the fuel and ignition systems replaced (under various extended BMW campaigns) as I've complained of misfires.

Since there are so many E9X M owners here these days, anyone in search of some cool wheel/tire packages? I've got a bit too many and would like to clear out before anymore arrive:

BBS E88 19" 9.5/10.5 Black Barrel w/ Gold Centers
BBS RI-A 18" 10.5-square Gold w/ or w/o Michelin PCS2 295/30/18 (LCI TPMS)
OE 359M 19" 10-square GTS matte black w/ Michelin PS4S 275/30/19 (LCI TPMS)

Can send/post pics, needless to say everything is in like-new condition. Also have a spare Akrapovic GT4 exhaust setup w/ CF tips for E92.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 11, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bape Culture posted:

:haibrow:

also lol at anyone who things the profile of the E90 is uggo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yo why the gently caress does the 2-series have a backseat

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you want a two seater car you just get a z4?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

The Big Jesus posted:

If you want a two seater car you just get a Supra?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

they make normal ones? why on earth??

According to BMW at the time (the informational web pages no longer exist in a live format) the weight distribution between the M3 variants are slightly different.
I can't imagine that adding more doors and removing the carbon roof makes the chassis stiffer nor lighter, and the Vert weighs something like 450 pounds more than either so isn't even in the discussion really.

E92 Coupe: 51.2/48.8% -- 3704 lbs
E90 Sedan: 52.2/47.8% -- 3726 lbs
E93 Vert: 47.2/52.8% -- 4145 lbs

Some other websites claim the complete opposite on weight distro between sedan & coupe, but to me it seems that adding two doors, two power windows, at least two more airbags, two sets of door safety innards etc. is unlikely to "fix" the weight balance closer to perfect and BMW just forgot to do it correctly on the (likely more track-oriented Coupe version) of their flagship sports car. Also BMW probably knows for sure so I'll post their links instead.

Additionally, the carbon fiber roof doesn't exist on the Sedan or the Vert so the lower center of gravity makes the Coupe the clear performative winner. Yay!

Coupe: https://web.archive.org/web/2011123...ifications.aspx
Sedan: https://web.archive.org/web/2011102...ifications.aspx
Vert: https://web.archive.org/web/2011042...ifications.aspx

I went to a city park the other day for a friend's 50th and made sure to position my car so we could see it from the picnic table we were socially distanced around

In conclusion, buy a Camero

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like the E90 M3 but will admit that the E92 looks better.

It's the exact opposite for the F80 vs F82. They absolutely nailed the proportions on the F80 whereas the F82 has that Mustang thing going on.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

E91 here. Looks better than any of you trunkboys

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Somewhere to put groceries when the trunk is full

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
E30s look great whether they're a sedan or a coupe :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

OR A WAGON

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

:hfive:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not a fan of E30 sedans or cabbies tbh

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lightbulb Out posted:

Only e30 in coupe is the m3.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wat

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Non m3 two door e30s are two door sedans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Non m3 two door e30s are two door sedans.

is this a joke about how bmw now calls things 4-door coupes