Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I became the sperm donor for a friend of mine who once saved my life against my wife's wishes?
Was looking forward to one of the most hosed up stories yet where the wife tried to keep this guy from saving her husband's life but instead it's just a parsing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isnt that entire post just a setup for Nookie Life Debt?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tomfoolery posted:

I love when people try to correct my pronunciation of Lacroix sparkling water from "la croy" to "la kwah". Nope rear end in a top hat it's named "La croy" after the St. Croix river in Wisconsin which is pronounced "Croy". Also you're on the losing side of a battle about the pronunciation of flavored sparkling water and are literally the worst person to ever live.

Same with Bulleit. You think it's "Buleigh"? No, it's "Bullet", after the dude's last name, like what you should have in your head right now for being both lovely at pronunciation and also at life. The worst thing, is that Bulleit isn't even any good. Their rye especially is sourced from a factory that used to make Seagram's.

Also the guy who invented gifs says they're pronounced "jifs."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Also the guy who invented gifs says they're pronounced "jifs."

Well he's an idiot and wrong so :shrug:

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
They probably wouldn't even have decided to sell if they hadn't thought she'd raised the property value! Nice to see someone NOT get hosed over by this attitude...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Isnt that entire post just a setup for Nookie Life Debt?

Animal Crossing viral marketing?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
UPDATE: AITA for telling my sister I think her baby name choice is weird?

quote:

Original post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/gv86im/aita_for_telling_my_sister_i_think_her_baby_name

Hey everyone my sister asked me to give y'all a quick update on the name of my new niece! She was born Friday night.

After I made my last post, my sister was totally mortified at the prospect of her daughter being called Porta-Potty in school, not to mention all the fungus jokes. You guys successfully convinced her, lol. She did some more deliberating with BIL, but she wouldn't give me the new name until after the birth was over. It's totally like her to do that to me.

Anyway, in the hospital they announced the new name choice, which is Annabella. It actually works perfectly because both my family and BIL's have a beloved relative named Anna who is no longer with us, and my sister can still call her Bella for short.

Thanks so much for your input, everyone! Baby Bella should be coming home sometime today. I can't wait to get to know her!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Odd posted:

Me sowing: hahaha! YES! I got my MIL good with this
Me reaping: gently caress. This sucks. What the gently caress. husband fix this

Me sowing: hahaha! YES! I got my landlord good with this

Me reaping: hahaha! YES! I got my landlord good with this

(Re: garden rental post)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

hockey jockey posted:

They probably wouldn't even have decided to sell if they hadn't thought she'd raised the property value! Nice to see someone NOT get hosed over by this attitude...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Tomfoolery posted:

I love when people try to correct my pronunciation of Lacroix sparkling water from "la croy" to "la kwah". Nope rear end in a top hat it's named "La croy" after the St. Croix river in Wisconsin which is pronounced "Croy". Also you're on the losing side of a battle about the pronunciation of flavored sparkling water and are literally the worst person to ever live.

Same with Bulleit. You think it's "Buleigh"? No, it's "Bullet", after the dude's last name, like what you should have in your head right now for being both lovely at pronunciation and also at life. The worst thing, is that Bulleit isn't even any good. Their rye especially is sourced from a factory that used to make Seagram's.

Maybe if yoyu were good at video games you would play better games, like Dark Souls or Final Fantasy 7. Any child can beat Final Fantasy 7 but you really need an impressively large brain to truly grasp the intricacies of its plot.

Gonna start saying all of these wrong if it makes people go off like this

Le crü
Biu-lay

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Does anyone remember the really long multi-post saga where (as I recall) OP's girlfriend had been sexually assaulted, and afterward the GF's family told OP he wasn't allowed to touch her because she was so fragile, and the GF's therapist essentially told him that to be supportive, he needed to let GF date other people, and when Reddit finally convinced him to break up with her, GF was like "But you're the one who didn't want to touch me anymore!" and also the therapist was evil?

Does anyone have a link or links to that whole thing?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I do remember that post. I'll go dig for it.

AITA for calling out my dad in public after he said the n-word?

quote:

So the other day my dad and I were attending a block party within the neighborhood, where we usually have music playing. Everyone was getting comfortable in their chairs (6 feet apart of course) when The Box started playing. As soon as the song started playing, my dad, who was sitting right next to me, told just me “rappers are saying “the n-word” and just making it harder on black culture”. I was completely furious how he could say this to me especially considering the fact that one of the families attending the party was black, so I stood up and called him out on it. Of course, all of our neighbors were completely mortified at my dads behavior and as a result we had to leave the party early. My dad and i got home and he told me that i overreacted and created a lovely image for him. Granted, he wasn’t aiming the word at a specific person, but i still thought it was extremely rude for him to say it. AITA?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

therobit posted:

If they wanted to keep her shed, greenhouse, planters, etc then they should have approached her about it when she was making the improvements and offered to deduct materials and labor from the rent. That's not unusual. But LOL at assuming a renter doesn't take their chattel with them.

The silliest and most obvious stupidity about their assumption is she didn't plant any of her stuff in the ground and made no actual permanent changes to their yard besides soil, so I'm not sure why in the heck they expected their renter who is extremely serious about her hobby and probably put thousands upon thousands of dollars into it would just leave all of her stuff for free. :allears:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

I do remember that post. I'll go dig for it.

AITA for calling out my dad in public after he said the n-word?

I'm gonna guess the rappers were using nigga and his dad was using the hard R

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I'm gonna guess the rappers were using nigga and his dad was using the hard R

quote:

YTA, that’s hosed up, he did it privately to you, not in front of families, you called him out on it, and ruined his reputation in the neighborhood. Basically you freaked out because he said the n word and acted up and told everyone. Your dad is right about how you created a lovely image for him.

"DAD SHUT THE gently caress UP AND STOP SAYING THE N WORD!"

"son I am so disappointed in your lack of decorum you ruined all these fine people's day now I want to you reflect on how you've shamed this family"

reddit: drat shame young people are so hot headed these days

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for bringing my garden with me when I moved?

LOL!!!!

https://youtu.be/QpEZvMDR5NU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

My laptop sound is broken so I watched this with autogenerated closed captions and, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAu-DDlINs

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for wanting my gf to cook meat?

quote:

Dating for 5 and a half years, living together for 2.

My girlfriend and I both work. I work a standard 9-5 mon-fri while she works 3 days a week, around 45 hours and studies from home for the moment due to the pandemic. So she's home 4 days a week, so obviously she cooks dinner. What's driving me nuts is that she won't cook meat.

If I say I want curry for dinner, she'll make a vegetable and tofu curry. Pasta? All vegetables. And before you ask, she's not vegetarian. She just doesn't like touching meat and wants to be more "sustainable" (she drives a car) and tells me that if I want meat I need to cook it myself. Wtf?? I work 5 days a week. The way I see it is that whoever is staying home all day should cook dinners. Why should I work 8 hours just to come home and cook? All my colleagues bring in leftovers of spaghetti and meatballs or beef stew and I get fried rice and orange tofu, and when my colleagues see they ask when I'm going to grow my man titties because soy is full of women hormones or whatever. I'm sick of it.

AITA?

TLDR: Gf won't cook meat. I want steak.

Edit: Great, I think she found this thread. She's giving me the cold shoulder now so thanks, Reddit.

Edit 2: Fantastic, I've been dumped through a Reddit comment. gently caress this poo poo.

Guess the spoiler before you read the top comment

quote:

*Sigh*

This is a throwaway because I do not want this associated with my main account so here we go...

(I'm the girlfriend, by the way)

Hi babe,

To summarise, you are a huge, wide, gaping rear end in a top hat. Truthfully, it was brave of you to post this here knowing how much time I spend reading this sub.

If you had just kept your mouth shut and eaten dinner instead of posting here, I never would have known that you view me as a 'glorified babysitter', so thank you for that. You would think that if you want for people to side with you, you'd make an effort to come across as a decent person.

There are a few details you missed out, and a few that you're completely wrong about.

I'm a residential care worker. That is my job title. I work with a family of 4 siblings who have been removed from their family due to sexual abuse. Yes, 3 of them are at school Monday to Friday. We still need to look after the toddler, cook nutritious meals, clean the house, fill out case notes, plan activities, and basically act as parents to these kids. It's hard, sometimes we deal with challenging situations such as aggression and violence, which you already know since I came home with a black eye a month ago. Is that what babysitters have to deal with? Didn't think so.
Yes, I work 3 days a week. I study for 3 as well, and lately it has been from home. I have 4 lots of 2 hour lectures along with writing a thesis and other assignments. The time I spend studying/watching lectures/writing my thesis/doing assignments totals roughly 25-30 hours a week, depending on how motivated I'm feeling.
I also volunteer 1 day a week for 8 hours.
You do not cook on your days off. This is something we have discussed many times. You say you'll do it next week and you never do.
You say you work 9 'til 5. You've come home at 3:30 every day this week, and the week before that. Which most likely means you've been leaving the office at 2pm. 5 Hours is a big day, huh?
It's not my fault that you can't handle being seen with a container of tofu. That sounds like a *you* problem.
You loved the lentil bolognaise I made tonight.
This isn't working out.
And something that you really should know that I think you'll love is that I cook meat for the kids at work. So eat poo poo.

Regards,

Your soon to be ex girlfriend.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh no, tofu :qq: poor goddamn baby, I'm glad she dumped his rear end. Burn that bridge and salt the earth, lady.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Evil Willow posted:

I love that she did all the work herself, with things that could fairly easily be relocated. If the landlord wanted to keep the garden as it was, maybe they should have offered to pay for all of the things OP bought, plus paid for the labor it would have taken to put everything together. I absolutely love that she took everything with her!

This is what I'm doing at the place I'm renting. It's got a huge backyard that is nice on its own but I'm doing some additional work to it, and it's all removable. We plan on buying the house when it comes up for sale but there's no guarantee that it will, or that it will be a price we're willing to pay, or that we'll still want it after it gets inspected, so it's all removable, and we're not making any permanent improvements until we own the place. I'm doing this specifically so that if we move out, I can relocate the raised beds and greenhouse, and so there's no damage to the property when I do. It sounds like the work she's doing is much more extensive than mine (and even mine is a pain in the rear end and expensive), so that landlord can go ahead and gently caress right off. If his property value went up due to her improvements, he can offer to pay her for her time, expense, and effort so she can create another garden oasis in her next place. But also be prepared for a no--sounds like she's proud of her work and she should be.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

Now that is the way to start the morning.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Soylent Pudding posted:

into my loving veeeeinnnsssssss

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wearing the plastic tiara my “feminist” dil got me?

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I mean I hate this lady, but at the same time, DIL is absolutely reaping what she sowed with the whole tiara gift. Like what did she think was going to happen?

Straight White Shark posted:

ESH, but that lady owned the hell out of her daughter in law

Why does the lady suck? Feminism is about choice, if that lady enjoyed the nuclear household and is still happily married there's nothing wrong with that. It's not for everyone, but it seems like it's for her. It doesn't sound like she's giving unsolicisted advice to the DIL about how she should be a better wife or w/e, that interaction is as written always the DIL trying to poo poo on her decisions. To top it off she dunked on the dil in a completely benign way by owning yet another thing the daughter was trying to insult her with.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

She sucks because she says she deliberately plays it up to provoke the DIL. So yes, she bears responsibility for fully channeling the southern passive aggressive instead of defusing conflict maturely.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

lol "i want steak" okay honey here are some chickie tendies and a sippy cup just bang the table and poo poo your pants like the toddler you are when you're done.

edit: Ironically learning how to cook a steak on their own is something I've talked to a few coworkers about when they suddenly found themselves single for the first time in their late 20s and had gone from their mom's cooking to their gf's and didn't even know how to cook rice.

they managed to figure it out in less then a day. that's how little that relationship meant to that weepy manbaby.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 19, 2020

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

She sucks because she says she deliberately plays it up to provoke the DIL. So yes, she bears responsibility for fully channeling the southern passive aggressive instead of defusing conflict maturely.

It's her house the DIL is freeloading in, there should be zero question of who is the one who needs to change their behavior. Yeah being overly doting or w/e playing it up entails is obviously petty but the only reason that's an issue anyways is because DIL is can't even follow her own ideology and respect other women's choices for how they want to live their life.

The ESH verdict is typically when both parties suck close to equally, when the OP posts "some guy saw me waiting with my signal on for a parking spot but swooped in and took it, so I got out of the car and beat the poo poo out of him" people don't go "ESH" because the guy who stole the spot was also an rear end in a top hat, they go YTA because the beating someone up was so far and beyond the bigger rear end in a top hat. In this case the OP is being a bit childish/petty but it's in a fairly benign way that's directly in response to a way bigger problem, maybe she should be the bigger lady or whatever but hell she doesn't have to deal with them in the first place and could just tell them to go pound sand. It's clear who's the substantially bigger rear end in a top hat here and it's not the lady that wore the "gift" that someone went out of their way to buy to be an intentionally condescending and assholish move.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Hope this hasn't already been posted:
AITA for giving my toddler cat food as a treat?

quote:

I’m pretty flabbergasted by recent events, and I need a quick sanity check.

My wife and I have a son who’s almost 2. She’s an amazing SAHM, but she’s 8 weeks pregnant with our second and has been hit pretty hard with morning sickness. Consequently, I’ve been flying solo with the kiddo for the past couple weeks on nights and weekends.

About 10 days ago, my kid got his hands on some of the cat’s kibble and, naturally, devoured it. Well of course the tiny weirdo thought it was the most delicious thing he’d ever tasted, and spent the next few days begging me to give him more of the forbidden fruit (before anyone asks, he was given plenty of access to delicious and nutritious human food).

After a few days, I waved a white flag. I read the ingredients list and even ate a few kibbles myself. I wouldn’t describe them as delicious, but they certainly aren’t toxic. This past week, whenever my strange wee progeny was being difficult, I gave him a few kibbles and he’d be all smiles. I figured the weird little guy probably doesn’t have a future career as a food critic, but wasn’t too worried beyond that.

A couple days ago I took the small fry to his friend’s birthday party. There were a bunch of moms that my wife sees regularly but whom I don’t know all that well. Predictably, when the party was over, the Dictator Toddler (Tater Tot for short) threw a fit at the prospect of leaving. So I told him that he could have a “kitty treat” if he left without a fuss.

One of the moms overheard me and said “Oh, what’s a kitty treat, I haven’t heard of those?” I laughed and told her the same story I just told you all.

You’d think I’d tried to bribe my kid with a martini and a cigarette. She loudly gasped “Oh my God you feed your son CAT FOOD??” Everyone heard, and all conversation immediately stopped. If my son had stopped thrashing and screaming on the floor, you’d have been able to hear a pin drop.

At that point I was just trying to get the little dude in the car before his meltdown went nuclear, so I just said something like “haha, kids, their taste buds sure are dumb” and left.

Apparently this woman was so concerned that she texted my wife that I’m feeding my son cat food, and my wife was beside herself when I got home. She was nearly frantic with anxiety, with concerns ranging from “all the other moms think I’m a terrible mom who feeds her son car food” to “CPS is going to take our children away and we’ll never see them again”. By now she’s calmed down enough that she’s no longer hyperventilating and sobbing, but she’s capital F Furious at me.

I feel awful that I caused my wife such distress, but I still don’t see how this is a big deal. AITA?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ArbitraryC posted:

Why does the lady suck? Feminism is about choice, if that lady enjoyed the nuclear household and is still happily married there's nothing wrong with that. It's not for everyone, but it seems like it's for her. It doesn't sound like she's giving unsolicisted advice to the DIL about how she should be a better wife or w/e, that interaction is as written always the DIL trying to poo poo on her decisions. To top it off she dunked on the dil in a completely benign way by owning yet another thing the daughter was trying to insult her with.
Because people read between the lines and between her obvious disdain for her liberal feminist DIL and her southern pride there's an incredibly strong chance she's a lovely person. She's not the rear end in a top hat in this particular interaction but she probably is in general in their relationship. But it's true we can't know that for sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dienes posted:

Hope this hasn't already been posted:
AITA for giving my toddler cat food as a treat?

Reddit thread has a lot of fun with what goes into pet food.

Interesting thing is, cats and dogs are obligate carnivores, their bodies are set up to digest things in ways humans can't, and vice versa. Pet food has its own sets of standards, and is made to fill their nutritional needs- and those standards are completely different from the ones for human food, even if they were equally stringent.

Funny thing is, the idea of dedicated pet food is apparently pretty recent, a lot of cultures would just give their pets the same food the humans of the household had.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting thing is, cats and dogs are obligate carnivores, their bodies are set up to digest things in ways humans can't, and vice versa. Pet food has its own sets of standards, and is made to fill their nutritional needs- and those standards are completely different from the ones for human food, even if they were equally stringent.

Funny thing is, the idea of dedicated pet food is apparently pretty recent, a lot of cultures would just give their pets the same food the humans of the household had.

I've heard that cat/dog food does need to be fit for human consumption, but I don't know if that was apocryphal or something. It was a long time ago, but it was something like "back in the Great Depression, the really broke people would buy cheap dog food for themselves, so now pet food has to pass human food inspection levels."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for bringing my garden with me when I moved?

The title to this had me imagining someone going scorched earth out of spite, ripping the plants out of the ground and churning the soil. The reality was so much better.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Because people read between the lines and between her obvious disdain for her liberal feminist DIL and her southern pride there's an incredibly strong chance she's a lovely person. She's not the rear end in a top hat in this particular interaction but she probably is in general in their relationship. But it's true we can't know that for sure.

It's amazing how people manage to read between the lines when it's in service of their world view or personal politics. If the lady wants to live an old school homemaker life then that's her business and her daughter in law shouldn't be trying to shame her. Openly mocking or haranguing someone while you accept their goodwill is pretty lovely.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting thing is, cats and dogs are obligate carnivores

Cats are, dogs aren't. It'd still be a lovely thing to only feed them vegetarian food but they can survive on it; cats flat out can't.

Edit: I tried cat kibble as a six year old myself. If I recall correctly, it was pretty drat good.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dogs aren't obligate carnivores, and their digestive system has likely even been shaped to some extent through how they were domesticated. Cats are, though!

I think we'd be hard-pressed to find something in pet food that we couldn't digest. But a diet of solely kibble is likely nutritionally inadequate for humans, and kibble will often have ingredients like "meat byproducts" typically include things like stomach, brain, kidneys, bone, etc. that we would consider gross.

A couple bits of kibble aren't going to cause the kid harm, beyond the social stigma of being Kibble Kid.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ArbitraryC posted:

He issue with her DIL isn't that she's judgmental and overbearing; that would be entirely fair. She resents her for being "liberal and feminist" while also playing up her own southern pride and love of beauty pageants. It's a pretty safe bet that she has a lot of regressive views that she's made well known to anyone under her roof.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We got a zesty one here

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1273979636863709191?s=21

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Maybe y'all non southerners aren't so familiar with the cloyingly sweet passive aggressive hatred that properly raised southern matriarchs unleash on anyone challenging their sense of propriety by daring to make a different life choice.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One of my brothers as a toddler took a liking to dog food and we had to start locking up the 50lb bag for the dogs or else he'd help himself to a handful every time he passed the garage.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

house of the dad posted:

It's amazing how people manage to read between the lines when it's in service of their world view or personal politics. If the lady wants to live an old school homemaker life then that's her business and her daughter in law shouldn't be trying to shame her. Openly mocking or haranguing someone while you accept their goodwill is pretty lovely.

...yes? That's why people are saying "ESH" instead of "YTA"

Hmm yes I think it's a good idea to spend my time constantly needling someone in my house to set them off. This is a wise method of conflict resolution that does not amp up the stress levels of everyone in the house and probably the neighboring houses as well.

Like there's ways to deal with someone in the household being a dick to you that aren't either "be a complete doormat" or "be a dick about it"

ETA:

Soylent Pudding posted:

Maybe y'all non southerners aren't so familiar with the cloyingly sweet passive aggressive hatred that properly raised southern matriarchs unleash on anyone challenging their sense of propriety by daring to make a different life choice.

Wait, Yankees don't have that?

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

house of the dad posted:

If you can't read the passive aggressive condescension dripping off that post you might want to talk to a doctor.

quote:

Amber move in because of past issues. I find her very rude and overly opinionated.

Amber identifies as a liberal and a feminist but she has a hollier than thou attitude about a lot of things

The rudeness is most likely things like "you need to stop referring to all black people as thugs around my daughter I'm sick of your racist bullshit" and telling her the Confederate flag decorative plates belong in the dumpster.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 19, 2020