Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

E: Not my poster, just picture from internet. Althought I barely found enough brains in me at 16 to not get the secret order tattoo, I thought it was cool as gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I was apprehensive when this was announced, but the Polygon interview has somewhat assuaged my worries. I am cautiously optimistic.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

so is it confirmed that there's no targetting reticle/green beepy deflection shooting indicator anymore?

One of my favourite parts of XvT was firing off a quad x-wing burst way ahead of a moving TIE and being smug when it hit without the reticle going green. I didn't need the computer I used the FORCE

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 20, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

so is it confirmed that there's no targetting reticle/green beepy deflection shooting indicator anymore?

One of my favourite parts of XvT was firing off a quad x-wing burst way ahead of a moving TIE and being smug when it hit without the reticle going green. I didn't need the computer I used the FORCE

Per interview there's a targeting reticle but no leading reticle, so it should work the way you want it to.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Per interview there's a targeting reticle but no leading reticle, so it should work the way you want it to.

Ah it does say it right there in the interview- whhops. Thanks that sounds ideal. Going to have to think up a clever solution to mount a HOTAS to my driving sim rig for this I think!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I hope the PS4 version supports HOTAS. I don’t have one but I’ll sure as poo poo buy one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*Pacino voice* PS4 version has a HOTAS!!!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If anyone at Sony has a brain they will make a PSVR mega bundle with the headset+camera, the HOTAS, Ace Combat 7, and Star Wars Squadrons

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

In XWA (where you can fly the Falcon), if you were in cockpit mode then you were placed along the ship’s centerline, not actually off to the right like you should have been. You didn’t have to worry about being off-center and hitting stuff on your left.

The Falcons (yes, there's three different versions of the Falcon in EA Battlefront II, it's as dumb as it sounds) do have the proper cockpit offset when you go into first person, and flying it in close quarters becomes just as challenging as you'd imagine.

Lord Koth posted:

edit: For those not actually aware of what an E-Wing is, here you go:

Jeez, this is torturing the alphabet-wing naming convention even worse than the B-Wing is. And Star Wars doesn't even use the Latin alphabet, shouldn't it be like a Besh-Wing? ANSWER ME THAT, GEORGE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you look at it from above or below it looks like an E. So do the x wing and the Z-95 but whatever.

It could be the Ewing and be flown by the band of Scottish space mercenaries from episode 7.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Why is it a B-wing? Shouldn’t it be a lower case b wing? Or a t wing? It’s not like the x wing is named when its wings are closed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

The B-wing fighter was originally designed by Joe Johnston and Bill George for Return of the Jedi. The craft derives its name from the fact that the crew labeled the two new Rebel Alliance starfighter models in Return of the Jedi as "A fighter" and "B fighter". Bill George had so much input into the starship's development, that his colleagues nicknamed it the "Bill-Wing Fighter".[23] Years later in Star Wars Legends the name "Blade wing" was devised as an in-universe nickname, which was canonized by the Star Wars Rebels production team.

The A-Wing being called the A Fighter and looking like a wedge with two engines sticking out is just happy coincidence.

Seemlar posted:

It especially stands out that in those novels the introduction of the E-Wing was Luke pondering how he hated it, didn't even want to be near it because it was this intimidating overgunned killing machine, not like his noble old X-Wing... and then years later you get to see what one of those things look like and ehhhhhhh

lol I forgot about this completely

Anyway E-Wing makes sense if you consider the shape to be defined by the stupid guns

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
new "pilot briefing" series by the devs has started. This one has a big confirmation.

quote:

Mastering power management on the fly is what will separate you from the space dust you leave in your wake. Not all starfighters have shields, but those that do have the ability to manually focus them entirely to the front or back when needed, giving twice the protection to one part of the ship

:getin:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-gameplay-overview

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, we've known the design of the E-Wing for a LONG time. As far as I can tell, it was introduced in the same source it was first shown - the Dark Empire comics by Dark Horse Comics waaaay back in 1991/92. That puts it starting the same year as Heir to the Empire's release (and before the rest of that trilogy), so it predates the vast majority of the Legends books. And while someone at Lucasfilm certainly signed off on something regarding it, how much real influence they had on visual design over the comic book artists is probably debatable.

Stuff like that comment in Black Fleet Crisis is just the writers throwing shade in regards to how bad of a design it is - sure, it exists and is absolutely still being used... somewhere over there; here we're still using our good-looking upgraded iconics, thank you very much. Not like BFC actually has much shade to throw, but they're still right for ignoring that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Jerkface posted:

new "pilot briefing" series by the devs has started. This one has a big confirmation.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-gameplay-overview

*double fronts shields and twists joystick like it was a C&B torture video against a Lancer frigate*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gotta watch your shield direction when taking on a lancer or it will shred your rear end when you finish your pass.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sitting behind a Nebulon B frigate's engines going pew pew pew

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone here tried the magnet mod trick for a saitek x52?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love that in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and Alliance you can't do that anymore without getting roasted by engine wash

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hurry up and make the Gladiator canon.

Easy enough to make a campaign where you're based out of a gladiator out on patrol somewhere then rank up and your squad moves to an ISD.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It pleases my nerdy self that they still recognize the A4 as the single-seat Y-Wing and the S3 the two-seater version.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

McSpanky posted:

The Falcons (yes, there's three different versions of the Falcon in EA Battlefront II, it's as dumb as it sounds) do have the proper cockpit offset when you go into first person, and flying it in close quarters becomes just as challenging as you'd imagine.

Jeez, this is torturing the alphabet-wing naming convention even worse than the B-Wing is. And Star Wars doesn't even use the Latin alphabet, shouldn't it be like a Besh-Wing? ANSWER ME THAT, GEORGE

Actually having all the falcons is cool. :fuckoff:

PunkBoy posted:

It pleases my nerdy self that they still recognize the A4 as the single-seat Y-Wing and the S3 the two-seater version.

It’s not nerdy to know the truth. RIP pops Dutch and tiree

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Having not played EA Battlefront II, what three different versions of the Falcon are there? I’m assuming different versions for OT, ST, and probably Solo?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fartknocker posted:

Having not played EA Battlefront II, what three different versions of the Falcon are there? I’m assuming different versions for OT, ST, and probably Solo?

Yep, Han/Chewie for the OT, Rey/Chewie for the ST, Lando/L3 for Solo. The ST version has the rectangular dish, and the Solo version has the capsule in the mandible gap and the sleek white paneling. Slightly different special abilities too.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Looking forward to killing all you HOTAS nerds with my Dell keyboard and cheap optical mouse.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Have they said if there’s any collision detection between player ships?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

jarlywarly posted:

Looking forward to killing all you HOTAS nerds with my Dell keyboard and cheap optical mouse.

Lol that’s the thing, hotas probably won’t confer advantage over a mouse user. But it will be more fun :)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Really hoping the mouse controls aren't like SWBF2/warthunder ab/rb since that would end up being a huge advantage

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
my saitek's rubber grips have horrendously degraded :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

quote:

In addition to a brand-new story, you’ll also earn your wings in multiplayer battles. Dogfights is a 5v5 mode where two teams earn points by destroying opponents' starfighters in a traditional team deathmatch setting. Fleet Battles is Squadrons’ signature mode. You can play with both players (5v5) and AI (or just AI by yourself) in a multi-stage, objective-based battle. Advance the frontline by dominating the enemy in an intense tug-of-war and carry out bombing runs to take out capital ships to reach your primary objective: the destruction of the enemy flagship.
So if I'm reading that correctly that's essentially bot matches confirmed if you don't want to fight other people, which is cool because more games need to bring back bot matches.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Insert name here posted:

So if I'm reading that correctly that's essentially bot matches confirmed if you don't want to fight other people, which is cool because more games need to bring back bot matches.

I wouldn't be the man I am today without Quake 3 engine games and their bots.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Insert name here posted:

They were confirmed in the gameplay trailer.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love that in X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and Alliance you can't do that anymore without getting roasted by engine wash

Man taking on cap ships in XWA sucked

Can't lock on warheads, they get shot down. Can't do close strafing runs, weapons get jammed. Can't tail them, cause you get the ol' engine wash.

At least in XvT (and presumably earlier) you could blow up the nose cone on Star Destroyers and fly inside the model

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

magiccarpet posted:

Sitting behind a Nebulon B frigate's engines going pew pew pew

turning off collision and flying inside harkov's victory-class star destroyer and blowing it up

gently caress you harkov

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-Section posted:

Man taking on cap ships in XWA sucked

Can't lock on warheads, they get shot down. Can't do close strafing runs, weapons get jammed. Can't tail them, cause you get the ol' engine wash.

At least in XvT (and presumably earlier) you could blow up the nose cone on Star Destroyers and fly inside the model
Look at this amateur who didn't know about capital ship blindspots and dumbfiring ordnance. :smug:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Use the , or . buttons to target ship turrets and blow them up.

Goddamn cargo ship blew up four Y-Wings and shot down almost all their missiles on the very first Rebel mission. That felt pretty bad.

I can't find my old Logitech flight stick and ugghhh trying to play XWA with a Xbox controller is not ideal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Look at this amateur who didn't know about capital ship blindspots and dumbfiring ordnance. :smug:

It was weird and clearly not well thought through though. What's even the point of all this slow moving locking ordinance if the AI turrets will immediately shoot them up with perfect accuracy?

Freespace 2 remains the absolute pinnacle of Fighter/Bomber/Capital Ship combat.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It was weird and clearly not well thought through though. What's even the point of all this slow moving locking ordinance if the AI turrets will immediately shoot them up with perfect accuracy?

Freespace 2 remains the absolute pinnacle of Fighter/Bomber/Capital Ship combat.

I thought the mechanic was targeting the turrets to shoot them out so you can then fire ordnance.

Amen re: Freespace 2. Now where’s my HOTAS?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

plester1 posted:

I thought the mechanic was targeting the turrets to shoot them out so you can then fire ordnance.

Well yeah, but at the point at which you've taken out the turrets you can just sit in the blindspot you've created with all power to lasers and hold down the trigger for five minutes.

Wing Commander and Freespace both got that the more interesting and engaging gameplay is have bombers make attack runs starting out from long range, with the skill being to hold your nerve and get close enough so that when you launch your ordinance it doesn't get blasted by turrets, while not getting so close that the turrets blast you. There's a tradeoff there that the X-Wing games never got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Hopefully HOTAS people can have their own server somehow