Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

i feel like reality is actively gaslighting me

I'm reading about 62,000 cases, deaths, mass evictions, collapse of small businesses, 7-day-moving-average rising daily, sports leagues trying to open up and immediately getting plague, whatever

then I drive to work, home from work, and literally no one cares and they actively shrug and go "who cares? not my problem" and the president is going "I DEMAND we open back up!!" and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I am 100% confident that schools will not operate (at least not in anything resembling a normal capacity) this coming semester. The only question in my mind is whether they'll attempt to reopen and shut back down, which is probably the worst of all worlds for parents, teachers, and students. The only way schools operate until Christmas is if this all just magically disappears by August.

since we’re on the highway to the roni zone and trump is already picking a fight over it, i am increasingly of the belief schools wont open in august (september in MI).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

wv is afaict a state wide unit and I’m not familiar with such dynamics

I’m more familiar with the traditional north east district local units

In Illinois there are both the state level IEA and then your local district union

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

if people I know are any indication it's a ton of people financing home improvements because they don't believe that any downturn will impact them

or they believe hyperinflation will make current-dollar debts a future dollar napkin

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Giga Gaia posted:

22k home theater contracts lol

Reminds me when I was researching stuff about speakers for my TV. I found a setup that was at a minimum 50k home theater setup with the equipment and sound proofing. The guy had only one chair in it. One loving chair lol. Dude spent 50k to make the ultimate masturbatorium.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Giga Gaia posted:

apparently high end home theater poo poo based on one of my clients

Who the gently caress isn't hoarding money like they were Smaug right now? I've taken a only 10% pay cut and my wife is still fully employed and we're banking every penny we can because lol at anyone who feels like they have job security right now.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

I mean, the NBA shutting down and the NCAA canceling March Madness is basically the only reason the original lockdown happened, so there's a chance.

im going to be honest...

i barely gave a drat about covid until this happened.

the only thing on my radar at that time was bernie, pretty much, and i assumed it was another virus the media was talking about but ultimately wouldnt affect my life.

i feel dumb about it now but then again im not in charge of handling potential pandemics.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gio posted:

since we’re on the highway to the roni zone and trump is already picking a fight over it, i am increasingly of the belief schools wont open in august (september in MI).

my perspective is skewed a little bit since CT is still doing really, really well and there's a slim chance we'll still be on an extreme downswing by august, which I'm afraid is going to lead to some really bad decision making

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm reading about 62,000 cases, deaths, mass evictions, collapse of small businesses, 7-day-moving-average rising daily, sports leagues trying to open up and immediately getting plague, whatever

then I drive to work, home from work, and literally no one cares and they actively shrug and go "who cares? not my problem" and the president is going "I DEMAND we open back up!!" and

the disparate realities of online and offline

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

Who the gently caress isn't hoarding money like they were Smaug right now? I've taken a only 10% pay cut and my wife is still fully employed and we're banking every penny we can because lol at anyone who feels like they have job security right now.

You are Aero right? Real talk I’d find a way to slide into pure Defense. Ramping up unnecessary Defense contracts is one of the few triggers the government can pull and print money for demand when poo poo goes bad other than infrastructure. I’m similarly banking every penny but I also figure if I’m out of a job with my credentials, then uhhh, things are worse than I could ever imagine.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Taintrunner posted:

let’s plague ball!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

or they believe hyperinflation will make current-dollar debts a future dollar napkin

what's a good back up currency to use in case the US goes belly up?
Canada's, Mexico's, Euro?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I've got a friend who's an interior designer and he's swimming in clients right now. Guess some people are either taking this chance to knock out projects or tired of staring at the same four walls every day after months of working from home. Definitely seems like a weird use of money, though!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

my perspective is skewed a little bit since CT is still doing really, really well and there's a slim chance we'll still be on an extreme downswing by august, which I'm afraid is going to lead to some really bad decision making

yeah, i thought about states like CT, too. definitely a good chance it varies from state to state.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

I've got a friend who's an interior designer and he's swimming in clients right now. Guess some people are either taking this chance to knock out projects or tired of staring at the same four walls every day after months of working from home. Definitely seems like a weird use of money, though!

I have noticed lots of the houses in my neighborhood have had contractors working in them. Definitely booming for them right now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Whichever country you're most likely to flee to.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

bullets

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

welcome to hypernormalisation

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Great News: time to die, America!!!!!!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Raccooon posted:

Reminds me when I was researching stuff about speakers for my TV. I found a setup that was at a minimum 50k home theater setup with the equipment and sound proofing. The guy had only one chair in it. One loving chair lol. Dude spent 50k to make the ultimate masturbatorium.

funny thing about speaker systems, there's only one sweet spot. if you spend $50k on speakers and setup so its all time-aligned and tuned and poo poo, you will actually notice if you move to the left 2ft to share a loveseat with someone lol

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Trump appointees tend to not last long in their posts.. Come to think of it Stephen Miller has been in it since the start too

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thoguh posted:

It probably would be best for America if baseball starts back up, runs for a week, and then has to shut down with players getting seriously sick. Something really public and hard to ignore it the only thing that might make people accept that this is real.

Nick Markakis, who is famous for never getting sick or hurt, saw how horribly covid-19 affected his teammate Freddie Freeman and opted out of the season. Mike Trout, the best player today and possibly ever, opted out of the season because his wife is pregnant. The league doesn't give a gently caress.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Raccooon posted:

I have noticed lots of the houses in my neighborhood have had contractors working in them. Definitely booming for them right now.

we got a sump pump for our basement, three houses on my block had their driveways paved this month, one had roofing done and two are being re-sided and getting new windows

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crazyweasel posted:

You are Aero right? Real talk I’d find a way to slide into pure Defense. Ramping up unnecessary Defense contracts is one of the few triggers the government can pull and print money for demand when poo poo goes bad other than infrastructure. I’m similarly banking every penny but I also figure if I’m out of a job with my credentials, then uhhh, things are worse than I could ever imagine.

It's on the table if things get really bad but basically every US citizen who works in Aero is having the same idea right now so while there's jobs there's also a poo poo load of people trying to get them.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Trump appointees tend to not last long in their posts.. Come to think of it Stephen Miller has been in it since the start too

she is exactly where she wants to be and is arguably the most effective member of the Trump WH in executing her vision

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chamale posted:

Nick Markakis, who is famous for never getting sick or hurt, saw how horribly covid-19 affected his teammate Freddie Freeman and opted out of the season. Mike Trout, the best player today and possibly ever, opted out of the season because his wife is pregnant. The league doesn't give a gently caress.

That's why I think the only way it hits people hard enough is if they start up and then players start dropping out because they're sick. Not just positive tests but legitimately sick. Not that I wish that on any of them but I think that's the type of thing that would have to happen for America to take notice and change course.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

let’s plague ball!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I have to get on a plane in 4 days for work. loving sucks. I am the lead on a construction project they won't shutdown and what I do is so specialized there is no one that can take my place where they are.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Raccooon posted:

I have to get on a plane in 4 days for work. loving sucks. I am the lead on a construction project they won't shutdown and what I do is so specialized there is no one that can take my place where they are.

Can you drive?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

use your rarity to your advantage

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Can you drive?

Its literally on the other side of the country. At a minimum 4-5 day drive

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

tell them you have diarrhea

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Maybe I should just drive it idk.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Thoguh posted:

That's why I think the only way it hits people hard enough is if they start up and then players start dropping out because they're sick. Not just positive tests but legitimately sick. Not that I wish that on any of them but I think that's the type of thing that would have to happen for America to take notice and change course.

I'm waiting for (first) cadre of people getting sick after visiting DisneyWorld. The gnashing of teeth that'll happen when they realize that biology doesn't care about best intentions, security theater, or what they want to do and they were indeed risking death to go to a theme park instead of just postponing the trip.

Or you know, nothing like that will happen and instead everything will be fine.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eat Arby's.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
strap on a facemask and slather urself in vaseline. the virus cannot harm u then.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

strap on a facemask and slather urself in vaseline. the virus cannot harm u then.

My mom is a nurse so I can get an N95 mask from her. Think I will wear that and throw away clothes for the flight. Hoodie and sweatpants then throw them away when I get there and wipe myself down.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
you should probably drive it even though that option loving blows

can you get them to reimburse you a ton if you tell them that you won't fly? seems like if you're essential enough you should be able to use that to get some accommodations

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

It took this country a month to get over a bunch of kids being slaughtered by a man with guns at a kindergarten. If anything it's impressive it took us five times as long to get bored of the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

America not only doesn't want to be saved, it actively refuses to be. The last decade of ignoring climate change wasn't a fluke