Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kith posted:

was it worth it

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Can you elaborate? I read it all, but I'm still not seeing anything clear on how bonus armor break on equipment affects this math.

Without that clarity, I'm not seeing how +500% armor break on my grenade launcher is a bad thing. The only other option was losing 50% damage in exchange for lighting things on fire, and given that this is my only big punchy weapon, that's not too appealing. Retaining the big damage and stripping lots of armor at once seems... good?

The turret seems less cut and dry, stun chance sounds okay and +300% on a single-target low-damage-per-shot weapon is probably less noticeable? Idk.

The only exception to the "Never take armor breaking perks" in the entire game is the PGL, because as you correctly put it, losing damage to put it into a DOT is a tremendously losing proposition.

In all other cases (I think there are 9 weapons + turrets that have this option), armor breaking is a trap option that looks good on paper, but isn't really as effective as you want it to be.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

RyokoTK posted:

Basically what it boils down to is that every enemy has parts of its body that aren’t armored, and shooting that instead of the armor isn’t really that onerous. That extra armor damage doesn’t translate to extra HP damage, and the shot that breaks armor doesn’t fully penetrate and hit flesh.

Plus you can’t break Oppressor or Dreadnaught armor, the two enemies for which armor break would be most valuable.

That said, the case can be made for armor break on the PGL if you’re using it for splash damage. For the turret though, the stun is great. It may sound kinda lame on paper but in practice it makes a measurable difference in keeping the horde at bay.

Thanks! I just logged in and bought the stun upgrade for the turret so I wouldn't forget.

I'll play around with both on the PGL and see how it feels. I feel like I'm not getting that weapon right in general, though. I took both damage upgrades and it feels SO good to drop on swarms, but there are more swarms than grenades so I'm eternally out of ammo, and it has a disappointing effect on everything else. Even if I hit a praetorian or bulk detonator's weak spot, it doesn't take off as much health as I'd hope for something that only brings 8 rounds to the table.

Drewjitsu posted:

The only exception to the "Never take armor breaking perks" in the entire game is the PGL, because as you correctly put it, losing damage to put it into a DOT is a tremendously losing proposition.

In all other cases (I think there are 9 weapons + turrets that have this option), armor breaking is a trap option that looks good on paper, but isn't really as effective as you want it to be.

Oooor maybe I won't bother playing around with the fire option, thanks for confirming that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Drewjitsu posted:

Despite what Evil Kit may say, Armor Shredding is pretty much considered a trap option. Here's more than you ever wanted to know about creature armor:
https://deeprockgalactic.gamepedia.com/Creature_Armor

hello it is me, Evil Kit. While I think armor shred is undervalued, I would only argue for it as really on the gunner's Autocannon with certain builds because it makes a number of beasties with protective armor much easier to deal with for your friends! Much like everything in this game, your mod choices are to taste.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks! I just logged in and bought the stun upgrade for the turret so I wouldn't forget.

I'll play around with both on the PGL and see how it feels. I feel like I'm not getting that weapon right in general, though. I took both damage upgrades and it feels SO good to drop on swarms, but there are more swarms than grenades so I'm eternally out of ammo, and it has a disappointing effect on everything else. Even if I hit a praetorian or bulk detonator's weak spot, it doesn't take off as much health as I'd hope for something that only brings 8 rounds to the table.

Praetorians and bigger Glyphids have explosion resistance, so it turns out the PGL is expressly bad at killing them. It's great against swarms and other assorted mid-power enemies like Menaces. I prefer to spec for ammo over damage specifically so I can do more against swarms. Praetorians are also a potential argument for the fire damage conversion as opposed to armor break, but if you want an engineer secondary to take down big armored boys, you use the Breach Cutter, not the PGL.

But remember, the PGL doesn't need to kill the swarm, just soften 'em up. Then your turret and primary can mow down whatever's left. The engineer has a ton of damage potential but you really need to use the entire buffalo to get the job done. It's not like the driller/gunner where they hold LMB with their big gun and win.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Max efficiency builds aren't needed to do anything and are usually quite boring. Instead just slam fat boy, max radius, and fire damage on the pgl and laugh maniacally as you irradiate and set everything aflame.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
If you wanted the nade launcher to do good damage vs praetorians or dreads, you need the hyper propellant overclock. Explosions don't deal with weakpoints but hyper propellant does.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Max efficiency builds aren't needed to do anything and are usually quite boring. Instead just slam fat boy, max radius, and fire damage on the pgl and laugh maniacally as you irradiate and set everything aflame.

Counterpoint: I'm bad and min/maxing helps ameliorate that. That does sound fun as hell though, will do once I unlock overclocks.

Delacroix posted:

If you wanted the nade launcher to do good damage vs praetorians or dreads, you need the hyper propellant overclock. Explosions don't deal with weakpoints but hyper propellant does.

I'll keep an eye out for that one too, thanks.

I don't actually care if it's the PGL that deals with praetorians or dreads, it would just be nice to have something that does. Right now I'm blasting their armor off with one round of armor-stripping PGL (feels so satisfying) and then doing a lot of risky butt-shotgunning and that takes a long time to wrap each kill up.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rynoto posted:

Forget the damage, you should be using the Fat Boy anyways so you can bust up terrain from a safe distance. Like the time I watched goons lemming rush the drop pod and down themselves on the ramp via irradiated crystals.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Chipping off the glowing part in the middle of rad crystals is enough to render them inert, you can do it with the revolver. In a pinch, you can do the same with overhanging red sugar.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hi guys, how viable is 2 player in this game?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

TescoBag posted:

The enemies scale fairly well. The only issue you might run into is traversal on some of the bigger/more complicated caves, but there should be enough ammo to get around any issues.

It's good OP.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Also I just 2p with a bud and leave it open to public, most random people are pretty decent in skill, attitude, or both. And for the ones who aren't having one other competent person can still pretty easily carry a mission.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Extremely

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah this game does great for just a hop-in hop-out kind of game. You also don't need to rely on everyone unless you play at higher difficulties but that's of course optional for the most part.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you're reasonably familiar with FPS games this game's combat doesn't really have much bite until Haz4, maybe Haz3 if you're super casual.

What seems to trip up new players most is just wrapping their heads around how to manipulate and traverse terrain, but learning that is half the fun.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rynoto posted:

But if I use fat boy I can't bounce my friends around with unwanted grenade jumps. I'm getting pretty good at them now!

My favorite was watching a friend of mine try to decide how to get on a high ledge for almost a full minute before just pegging him in the foot with a perfect shot that bounced him fifteen feet in the air onto the platform. I don't think he's ever figured out exactly what happened or why he started flying.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Turns out I'm pretty terrible at navigating caves and finding objectives (even just Morkite), especially in the darkness that comes with not having a scout, so solo is not enjoyable for me. I sunk a decent amount of resources into fully upgrading Bosco before testing and discovering this... at least I got an achievement out of it, I guess? :cripes:

I also tried some pub games in order to wrap up my newbie assignment chain and that was fine, but nowhere near as fun as playing with friends. I ended up slapping the drop pod button instead of waiting on the secondary objective a couple times, due to people just wandering around on their own without communicating what was going on. I also got kicked after a mission for trying to have a little fun and go back for a downed guy instead of running to the drop pod as fast as possible (he had picked me up and gotten me there in the first place). I appreciate that they at least let me board the pod and get completion first, but it was just the silliest thing to be unironically yelled at for. How dare I add an extra minute to their already 30+ minute run!

I'm betting playing with goons would be a better experience and I might do that instead in the future, but I think this is definitely a friends game first and foremost.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 9, 2020

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

In all the public games I've been in, I've found that 100% of groups would rather die than give up the second objective.

I usually just let someone else push the button.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

In all the public games I've been in, I've found that 100% of groups would rather die than give up the second objective.

I usually just let someone else push the button.

I have had to disabuse myself of this habit.

How badly do I want those fuckin fossils though? I’d get more xp at the end of the day if I just moved on. BUT THE BOX ISN’T CHECKED AAAAAA

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

In my group, we hit the button once the main job is done, assuming no machine event to do or hidden cache to dig. If we wanted the secondary objective done, we should have done it while we were mining :colbert: Usually it is just 'keep your eyes peeled for one fossil on the way back to the pod', it isn't too often we drop the side objective completely and move on, but it does happen.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also, I finally did the thing.

447 hours in. I have a healthy relationship with video games. :downs:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Captainicus posted:

In my group, we hit the button once the main job is done, assuming no machine event to do or hidden cache to dig.

How can you tell when these are present in the level? Are they always shown on the map?

I finally got at least one level in on all four classes. Driller did not click for me at all, flamethrower is dope but the pistol felt unwieldy and I apparently lack the spatial awareness required to make my tunnels go where I want them to when I can't see the destination. Gunner was pretty boring. Maybe I'm missing something? Engineer was my favorite... until I tried Scout. Holy poo poo, that AR feels good and the grapple is fun as hell. I singlehandedly completed a fossil secondary objective, just grapple and grab. Can't wait until I can shotgun jump. My main crew has someone who always insists on being the Scout and I'm pretty happy with Engineer in those games, but poo poo. This is all I want to do in my pub drops.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 9, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RyokoTK posted:

I have had to disabuse myself of this habit.

How badly do I want those fuckin fossils though? I’d get more xp at the end of the day if I just moved on. BUT THE BOX ISN’T CHECKED AAAAAA

to be fair they do count for perk point milestones which is a fairly strong incentive if you haven't unlocked all the ones you want yet

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

How can you tell when these are present in the level? Are they always shown on the map?

You can't, as far as I know, but I prefer to leave these for after the main objective if we spot one, so if it goes pear-shaped, we can hit the button and run for it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RyokoTK posted:

Wow, that's fast! Congratulations!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RyokoTK posted:

So which one was your favorite?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So which one was your favorite?

Driller and Engi are about 50/50 for my favorite, I'm happy to do either. Scout's okay. I don't care much for Gunner.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

RyokoTK posted:

Driller and Engi are about 50/50 for my favorite, I'm happy to do either. Scout's okay. I don't care much for Gunner.

My enjoyment of scout went up a lot once I committed to the jump shotgun but otherwise, same.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fishstick posted:

My enjoyment of scout went up a lot once I committed to the jump shotgun but otherwise, same.

Special Powder definitely has improved my Scout experience, yeah. Kinda sucks cause presumably the Zhukovs are good these days but who can tell cause they don't make me jump all big.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I went back a few pages and didn't see this asked but I apologize if it's been done multiple times:

How can you tell what part of a Deep Dive people are on in the search? It just lists Close, Medium, and Far which I assume correspond to Mission 1, 2, and 3 but I'm not sure. The Steam Friends I've played with don't usually Deep Dive and I've had some bad luck with newbie pubbies in other missions so I mostly do solos but I'm tired of going alone with Bosco. (I'm level 60 myself so it's not like I'm just learning the ropes). There's also the fact I don't want to join a DD in progress that's almost done and possibly miss out on the previous rewards, if that can happen.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Deep Dives can't be joined mid mission. The close/med/far is distance host is from you as it's locally hosted.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Deep Dives can't be joined mid mission. The close/med/far is distance host is from you as it's locally hosted.

Oh I see now the little I box in the corner that says late joining is not permitted...

Well that riddle's solved. Do you know if you/the host drops and never reconnects if you have to redo everything? It's not a huge issue if you do. Or do you resume rewards by joining another game?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You restart at the very beginning if you can't reconnect to the host. No additional rewards for when you re-complete a stage that was done before.

You do keep any already gained rewards from completed stages.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Rynoto posted:

You restart at the very beginning if you can't reconnect to the host. No additional rewards for when you re-complete a stage that was done before.

You do keep any already gained rewards from completed stages.

Sounds fair. I joined my first public DD. We all grabbed our beers, toasted to Karl, and then the connect to the multiplayer session ended and never came back.

Hell yeah.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

If the disconnect is only on your end you can reconnect to the host mid-Deep Dive. I got disconnected due to ISP issues 3 times during a DD and was able to reconnect back each time since the host was still around.

Edit: Also you can join a Dive mid-mission (if it's public), but only on the first stage.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2020

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I guess the devs just play random haz4 because I had one drop into a pubbie haz4 I was in and stick around for a few games

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 10, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fishstick posted:

I guess the devs just play random haz4 because I had one drop into a pubbie haz4 I was in and stick around for a few games

Yeah they used to play a lot more, i remember a reddit post where some guy showed the devs abuncha exploits that they didn't know existed and they were so boggled by it haha.

I hope they put some new content out soon, even some cosmetic DLC's would be nice.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

This guy (or gal) in particular was a 3D artist and he was hinting-not-hinting that more beards and stuff are comin soon, so hopefully along with the next update that adds the new mission types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rad. What gives you the yellow pickaxe next to your name? I see the host in that screenshot doesn't have it, but the other two do.