Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG always improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Another coded message from the art team?

GRIM HEX 'LIAR' SHIRT APPEARS AS 'CURSER' SHIRT ON RACK

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

The t-shirt hanging up in the clothing shop at Grim Hex is not the correct shirt that is being sold. The 'Liar' t-shirt is represented, in store, by the 'Curser' t-shirt. There is already a 'Curser' t-shirt hanging up a few shirts to the left of it but there is no 'Liar' shirt anywhere in the store. The shirt can be tried on and bought and in both cases you will get the 'Liar' shirt. I believe that the shirt I am referring to is simply displayed in store as the Curser shirt incorrectly and should show the Liar shirt.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Popete posted:

CIG is charging far more than even DCS for single ships and ships in Star Citizen have the flight model fidelity of a cardboard box attached to strings.

I think he's also referring to the upcoming Microsoft Simulator and why the cost is so high. And I think it's less to do with Microsoft joining on the 70 dollar bandwagon 2k started and more to do on how simulators like DCS are very expensive in comparison to most games.

Space simulation ships don't have to be as detailed as an A10 Warthog in DCS,as an Origin 300i or whatever are not real and are left entirely to the imagination, and modelling a real plane with that kind of detail requires a considerable amount of research.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

gently caress that is a sexy snoop cap!

I'm gonna buy a Idris and then snoop caps for all of my plebs valued crew members.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

Space simulation ships don't have to be as detailed as an A10 Warthog in DCS,as an Origin 300i or whatever are not real and are left entirely to the imagination, and modelling a real plane with that kind of detail requires a considerable amount of research.

Chris Roberts would buy a real A10 Warthog and motion capture it - it's that simple.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Chris Roberts would buy a real A10 Warthog and motion capture it - it's that simple.

My understanding is that Chris Roberts built a real life working Idris and motion captured it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think he's also referring to the upcoming Microsoft Simulator and why the cost is so high. And I think it's less to do with Microsoft joining on the 70 dollar bandwagon 2k started and more to do on how simulators like DCS are very expensive in comparison to most games.

Falcon 3.0 had a $79.95 list price in 1991. Which is a year or so after Chris Roberts last made his impression on the gaming industry by slightly changing the color of a pixel in a game other people made but went largely uncredited for. Obviously in 2020 there are more pixels on the screen than back then, so it's going to take him longer to identify which one to change the color of. Once that happens PC gaming is saved.

You know I remember that game even chugged on a 386 at the time, and required a math coprocessor to do half-well, and it strikes me that kind of thinking is behind why Chris constantly mentions system resources alongside his magnum opus. He really is still in a time vortex from 30 years ago when PC processing power directly translated into performance. The passive implication is that his game has a similarly complex flight model; the literal interpretation is that Chris is a loving idiot, his "game" is an unoptimized piece of poo poo with no flight model to speak of, and that Chris is a loving idiot. He was the Forrest Gump of game developers even during his heyday, with sheer luck and efforts by others placing him near relevant figures and allowing him to mistakenly identify them as his peers, or more accurately, himself as one of their peers. The difference is that Forrest could play ping-pong and didn't steal from the disadvantaged.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 13, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Either the game is broken or the backers are

PLAYING AT 1600X900 ALLOWS THE USER TO USE 564 SCU OF THE CATERPILLER'S STORAGE SPACE

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- Set resolution to 1600x900
- Fly to Arial - Bezdek or Lathan
- At trade terminal set to 'Destination Full'

ACTUAL RESULT

'Destination Full' now equates to 564 SCU instead of 560 SCU at higher resolutions.

A PLAYER STOLE MY WEAPON FROM MY BACK

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- While claiming my ship, a player ran to me and stole my Railgun from my back
- He laughed, and said in voip: Thanks the weapon, i'm very appreicate
- I was very angry and i said to him: gently caress you

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/OtSswQ5.gifv

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

every time another whale buys Idris, every other bought Idris becomes less special and thus every whale feels more and more hollow with every Idris purchase

thats when you should upgrade to a bengal carrier. its important to do this before the game is released.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

thats when you should upgrade to a bengal carrier. its important to do this before the game is released.

That will give him plenty of time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

colonelwest posted:

The radiant AI in Oblivion was sort of cool for its time. NPCs would go about daily routines around the cities, so when you played the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, you could follow them around and figure out the best time and place to kill/rob them. It all had the classic Bethesda bugs and clunkiness, but it worked from a gameplay perspective. I would like to see modern RPGs take that concept further.

The idea behind it as hyped was neat, but in-game it was basically idiot NPCs with a basic schedule mixed with sitting stupidly in chairs randomly. Majora's Mask did that daily schedule poo poo better years before Oblivion. I'm always down for more believable and liveable NPCs though.

SpitefulHammer posted:

I remember reading this in a games magazine a year or two before Oblivion released and getting completely hyped for the game, because I was young and stupid.

At least Oblivion's 'Radiant AI' sounds cooler than 'Bartender AI', even if it was just canned animations and a schedule.

Oblivion and Fable are the two all-time greatest gaming disappointments. It's always weird to encounter the stans for either of those games, but at least none of them ever actually have anything significantly positive to say about them, it's always just about the time and place in their lives when they played it. Plus a generation of folks whose first Elder Scrolls experience would've been Oblivion, so they really just didn't know what was missing.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

My understanding is that Chris Roberts built a real life working Idris and motion captured it.

I believe this is correct. He is currently in discussions with Donald Trump about selling it to the US Space Force.

I understand that one of the hold ups is over wither Chris is prepared to throw in his RSI space mops.

Also, Trump wants the rights to the real life versions of the Bagman face mask to allow him to perfectly dominate the coronavirus.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Inacio posted:

premium bedding. good deal actually

what happens if you send them a 'suggested pledge' of $10, and then backup your reason for doing so as that is what you suggest the jpeg is worth?

Would there be any legal case for them putting 'suggested pledge' on the website and giving you absolutely no way to suggest your own number?

It implies that you're given an option to pick anything but the $ amount they want you to pick

forgetting the already argued part that it's not a pledge, or donation, or anything like that and everyone knows full well it is a commercial transaction since they're charging tax and VAT etc on it

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Scruffpuff posted:

Falcon 3.0 had a $79.95 list price in 1991. Which is a year or so after Chris Roberts last made his impression on the gaming industry by slightly changing the color of a pixel in a game other people made but went largely uncredited for. Obviously in 2020 there are more pixels on the screen than back then, so it's going to take him longer to identify which one to change the color of. Once that happens PC gaming is saved.

You know I remember that game even chugged on a 386 at the time, and required a math coprocessor to do half-well, and it strikes me that kind of thinking is behind why Chris constantly mentions system resources alongside his magnum opus. He really is still in a time vortex from 30 years ago when PC processing power directly translated into performance. The passive implication is that his game has a similarly complex flight model; the literal interpretation is that Chris is a loving idiot, his "game" is an unoptimized piece of poo poo with no flight model to speak of, and that Chris is a loving idiot. He was the Forrest Gump of game developers even during his heyday, with sheer luck and efforts by others placing him near relevant figures and allowing him to mistakenly identify them as his peers, or more accurately, himself as one of their peers. The difference is that Forrest could play ping-pong and didn't steal from the disadvantaged.

That brings back memories.... bought Falcon 4.0 as a young lad, with the enormous handbook, the keyboard reference card and so on. Spent literally days to take-off, then learning how to use the different weapon systems and drat, how it paid off.
The dynamic campaign in Falcon 4.0 is a thing I've never saw again in this detail. I literally felt being a small gear in a modern-day korean war. I mean, yeah, without time compression it could take quite some time to reach the target, especially if you've learned to do air refueling, but it happened so much around you I really enjoyed the flight. Friendly A-10 flying ground attack missions, tanks fighting on the ground, lots of contacts on radar, periodically check in with AWACS to get situational awareness... and with 2 spare AIM9, why not waste one or two old Mig-19 on the way? However, when Su-27 or Mig-29 entered the area it was a different story.

And this whole thing with the simulated, dynamic conflict and (for its time) awesome graphics ran on a ~1999 computer. The requirements were pretty beefy at the time, but for today's standards its a joke. I mean, sure, from a gameplay-perspective it's risky. Having 100% dynamic missions guarantees that you get a few boring ones: Fly to the target without contacts, drop your bombs, fly home. To address this, Falcon 4.0 had 3 different starting scenarios: One where the attack from the north was repelled, crippling their air force which was the 'easy' scenario, one with a balanced situation and a third one where the north steamrolled the south and you operate out of the remaining, small pocket with basically no supplies. AIM-120? Sorry, we just have a few outdated AIM-9M available.

The thing is: Even with todays enormous computing resources, I never really saw this kind of dynamic campaign again. It was basically 2 games in one: One strategy game were two AIs fought in the background, and the "front-end", which was the actual game at the first glance.
What I want to say is, while games get more and more impressive graphically (which is a big factor in the absurd amounts the production of a AAA game costs nowadays), gameplay-wise there wasn't much groundbreaking stuff. Indeed, the "dream" that Chris sold was exactly this: A groundbreaking advancement. You aren't the ship anymore, you can walk around, fly and land where you want, and all of this in never-seen-before fidelity and with thousands of other people.

However, Chris thought it was simply a matter of enough computing resources (server & client) and manpower to make this work. He had no idea that his dream would be an enormous (but no impossible) engineering feat, requiring laser-sharp focus, an engine built from the ground up for that purpose and of course the right people to do it. No bullshit "stretch goals", no tacked on mechanics, no fidelity-fluff, but a clear goal. And make no mistake, even with these things and good leadership in place it would still be difficult and could fail miserably, but Chris and his clown troupe never had a chance.
So, yeah, Chris is an idiot, he literally thought "Well, computers are 500x faster now than in 1992, that means 500x more fidelity!", went with an unfit engine because someone made a nice render trailer for him in it, went with a naive "let's figure out how and what to do along the way" and the rest is history.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Blue On Blue posted:

what happens if you send them a 'suggested pledge' of $10, and then backup your reason for doing so as that is what you suggest the jpeg is worth?

Would there be any legal case for them putting 'suggested pledge' on the website and giving you absolutely no way to suggest your own number?

It implies that you're given an option to pick anything but the $ amount they want you to pick

forgetting the already argued part that it's not a pledge, or donation, or anything like that and everyone knows full well it is a commercial transaction since they're charging tax and VAT etc on it

The 'suggested pledge' isn't about how much it costs, it's about which of the half dozen packages that include any given ship they think you want.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

ggangensis posted:

The thing is: Even with todays enormous computing resources, I never really saw this kind of dynamic campaign again. It was basically 2 games in one: One strategy game were two AIs fought in the background, and the "front-end", which was the actual game at the first glance.

EF2000 by DID. It has similar dynamic campaign ( Nato vs russia in norway). I remember reviewer said that isn't much game but more NATO training simulator. I loved it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

HorseBodyInspector posted:

EF2000 by DID. It has similar dynamic campaign ( Nato vs russia in norway). I remember reviewer said that isn't much game but more NATO training simulator. I loved it.

Holy gently caress that and TFX I only ever flew night missions cos the lights were all so beautiful.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Some of the submarine games back in the days of keyboard overlays were kinda cool too. Since Chris thinks space battles are both Star Wars WWII dogfights but also simultaneously "shh they'll hear us" submarine tactics in space, has anyone competent ever made a space game where the combat simulated the latter? I can't think of one.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Some of the submarine games back in the days of keyboard overlays were kinda cool too. Since Chris thinks space battles are both Star Wars WWII dogfights but also simultaneously "shh they'll hear us" submarine tactics in space, has anyone competent ever made a space game where the combat simulated the latter? I can't think of one.

Wanna Kickstart my Space Sub Day Z clone?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

jarlywarly posted:

Wanna Kickstart my Space Sub Day Z clone?

What's the suggested pledge?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Scruffpuff posted:

$300.000.000,00* but that will get you SOCKS (never been done before) and Subsumed AI (also never been done before)

*game package not included

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Inacio posted:

idk bout u fam but i dont have a fidelitious hangar and i still think it's very silly to spend money on spaceships

i also dont want to pay $90 just to have a loving 172, thanks microsoft i hate it

star citizen did this

What do you get on Game Pass, which I once again want to point out you can get for free.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I would suggest you don't.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

jarlywarly posted:

I would suggest you don't.

I just spitepledged $500 consider yourself massively owned :smug:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Scruffpuff posted:

Objects in Space looked like a promising space sub sim and even had support for building your own peripherals, but I heard it came out a bit disappointing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Performance degradation in last 6 quarters (note minimum and recommended configuration FPS) posted:

Star Citizen telemetry 3.4

Star Citizen telemetry 3.5

Star Citizen telemetry 3.6

Star Citizen telemetry 3.7

Star Citizen telemetry 3.8

Star Citizen telemetry 3.9

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Oblivion and Fable are the two all-time greatest gaming disappointments. It's always weird to encounter the stans for either of those games, but at least none of them ever actually have anything significantly positive to say about them, it's always just about the time and place in their lives when they played it. Plus a generation of folks whose first Elder Scrolls experience would've been Oblivion, so they really just didn't know what was missing.
Things that Fable did that were really cool:
-Your body would slowly change as you skilled up. If you were a swordman you'd get all muscley, if you focused ranged you'd get tall and wirey, if you used a lot of magic you'd get neat glowy tattoos.
-Unparalleled rotten food mechanics. You could really just chow down on flaccid carrots and off tofu all day.
-

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Jokes on you (BOT) Vulkan will solve all of these issues!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

Objects in Space looked like a promising space sub sim and even had support for building your own peripherals, but I heard it came out a bit disappointing

Objects in Space are further than they appear. Sometimes by decades.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 14, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lammasu posted:

What do you get on Game Pass, which I once again want to point out you can get for free.

afaik all game pass games come with base editions / no dlc

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Inacio posted:

afaik all game pass games come with base editions / no dlc

Some third party games have all the DLC.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Lammasu posted:

How do I get game pass for free then?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SaltEMike's Answer The Call show discusses Critics And The Community's Response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6WnINlP6hE

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Thank you all. I'm doing better. I'm home again and trying to keep myself staying sane despite the crazy amount of things I can't do now. But I am keeping on going! <3

Stay safe commando, and play star citizen.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair, Forrest invested in Apple, which sells $2000 laptops to college kids who only need to use Chrome and Word.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

To be fair, Forrest invested in Apple, which sells $2000 laptops to college kids who only need to use Chrome and Word.

I will happily pay $2k for the Apple touchpad. None of the Windows machines come close.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

no_recall posted:

Stay safe commando, and play star citizen.

Buy an Idris

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
:toot::siren:HAPPY DESKELETONIZATION DAY!!! :siren::toot:

quote:

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSu0RgRUh8