Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for getting annoyed that my girlfriend doesn’t cater for me when I visit?

Dick is plentiful and cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear there was a story here where someone was like "I eat my cereal with water" like it was just a normal not worth discussing detail and then in the comments somebody defended them with mentioning they ate their cereal with orange juice

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Twitter user Barry bongss summarizes why so many of these stories ever happen

https://twitter.com/barrybongss2/status/1286819035863293952?s=19

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for getting annoyed that my girlfriend doesn’t cater for me when I visit?

Guy's being a little bitch about it, but honestly if you know there is some kind of food your partner really likes and they're coming over to visit a lot, it's just nice to have it there for them. Repeatedly saying "well you should have bought that yourself if you wanted it" -- and throwing out any food they attempt to leave there -- is pretty cold.

Like don't you want your partner to feel welcomed into your house?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This one goes places

My (24F) Boyfriend (26M) Keeps Pranking Me, and I'm At My Breaking Point [NSFW]

quote:

It all started around a week ago, I went to the grocery store to get some things we needed, and when I got home, I went to put the stuff in the fridge. As I was about to close the door, I got whipped cream smashed on my face. I got annoyed at first, but hearing my boyfriend laugh made me laugh, and all was good. I needed a shower after interacting with other people at the store anyway. It's fine.

I thought it would stop there, but I was wrong. The pranks he did were something from a YouTube video on pranks or something, I swear, they were so annoying, but I handled them at first as playful banter.

They ranged from putting tape on the doorways so I ran my face into them, to toothpaste in my Oreos, to the whole "standing backwards in front of the fridge with a hoodie on so he can pull it down and scare me" and I was getting irritated at this point. They happened a few times a day, and I was about to murder him. I couldn't do anything without fear of being pranked.

Two days ago, I sat him down and told him he's had his fun, he's 26, he needs to grow up, it's annoying now, I'm not laughing anymore. It was fine the first 30 times, but I'm tired. He said ok, and I thought that was the end of it.

But no. Yesterday he asked for some toilet paper, and as I was about to give him it, he put "poop" on my hand, expecting me to freak out. I simply walked away to wash it off. Even if it was real poop, I've babysat, I can handle some poop. I told him again to stop and started crying in the middle of it because I was fed up. He hugged me, gave me kisses, and apologized and said he'd stop. I made some dinner (with no interruptions thankfully), we ate, and went to sleep.

Then this morning, he was awake before me, so he made some breakfast. Nothing wrong with it, it was delicious. After I finished, things started getting a bit heated, and pretty soon we were doing the deed. I started to feel a tingle down there, but I ignored it. Pretty soon it was burning. When I say burning, I mean burning. The motherfucker had rubbed jalapenos on his hand (from breakfast) intentionally, and rubbed it on me. In the middle of sex. Right while I was about to finish. He laughed.

I blew up on him and told him he was a piece of poo poo, and what he's doing isn't funny, it's childish and immature. I'm not one to cuss, but boy did I explode. With my ruined orgasm, and all the bullshit, I kicked him out of the house and told him not to come back unless he's acting his age.

I'm lost at what to do here, having a conversation with him isn't going to work, I'm not petty enough to prank him too, and I don't know if this is worth breaking up over. I'm sitting on a towel with some milk right now, it's wayy better than in the morning. I need help, I'm lost.

Thanks for reading this long rear end post, any advice is appreciated.

Edit: Annndd, there's vodka in my mouthwash. Of course.

Edit #2 There was no camera in the room recording, because I told him to leave, and he didn't get the chance to touch anything else. I have an update ready and typed up, I tried to post it, but the mods said it hasn't been more than 48 hours since my last post, so I'll post it later. He should be home soon, so I'll have my second update up in a few days. Thanks for all the love and encouragement.

UPDATE #1 since I couldn't post a new one

I wanted to make an update the same day, so I could get advice on how to break up with him, but Reddit wouldn't let me, so I've done it already, we've over.

*This is the same day, last night. Reddit wouldn't let me post it yesterday because it needed to be 48 hours since my last post*

So, some of you have been asking for an update on what happened this morning, so here it is.

First off, I'd like to say thank you to all the lovely people who replied and made me realize what was going on. Reading all that made me feel like I was stupid (in a good way) and that I need to get out of this relationship.

To the people who said it was fake, I get it. It's hard to believe something so incredulous when you've never been through it. I'm dating a crazy person.

So, a lot of you have said to go through his phone. I did. A wholeeee lot of deleted texts between him and someone named Chris. I don't know a Chris. Most of our friends are the same except for work friends, but he's (my boyfriend) never mentioned him. A few snippets are left, and those say stuff along the lines of "I got her, it was so funny" or "she said 'dammit (his name) again, lol" When he told Chris he was going to use Jalapeneos, Chris said not to, and that it was too far, to which my boyfriend replied, "don't tell me what to do with her, I own her, not you." Those exact words. No one 'owns' me.

The shock factor wore off, but I still haven't gotten used to it. I just cried for 2 minutes, max. I'm wayy more concerned about the camera, but he's clean, he just did it to text Chris about it, no camera in the room.

No YouTube videos, or anything on his Instagram. I've called all our friends and they haven't seen him, so he's probably ran to a bar, where he always go when we argue. I've realized I've unintentionally been covering him, and not wanting anything to happen to him, and I know I need therapy for this. When I called our mutual friend "Adam" who said he was going to beat the gently caress out of him, I almost started crying and told him not to. Adam told me to stop trying to cover for him, and that's when I realized I need to break up with him. He is currently with me and planning to stay over.

When he comes back, I will be telling him we are over, and that he needs to leave. It was his house, but he'd bought it a few weeks before we started dating and almost everything is mine. The sofas, the tv, the tv stand, the dining table and chairs, beds, I've all bought with my money. If he wants me to leave, I will, but I will take everything.

I will also be telling him to explain those texts and the camera, and I know he will be drunk, so Adam is staying over, and he isn't a happy drunk. I now fear for my life because I realize these are escalating, and the fact that he said he owns me. What if he tries to kill me or something, he seems to think I'm his property. He used me when I was extremely vulnerable, and I don't think I can forgive him.

I'm currently sitting with my legs wide open and some plain yogurt on my bits. It's much better now, but it's extremely red and has tiny little bumps on the vulva near the cl*t. I'm switching out the yogurt to colder one every few minutes, so I'll be fine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, Chris must feel like Oppenheimer or something, all "Oh no, what have I done?!"

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Sagebrush posted:

Guy's being a little bitch about it, but honestly if you know there is some kind of food your partner really likes and they're coming over to visit a lot, it's just nice to have it there for them. Repeatedly saying "well you should have bought that yourself if you wanted it" -- and throwing out any food they attempt to leave there -- is pretty cold.

I don't disagree, but she says she doesn't like to keep it around because she'll just eat it herself. If she has any kind of problem with binge eating (apparently chocolate was a problem before?) then simply not eating the food may be next to impossible.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Puppy Time posted:

This one goes places

My (24F) Boyfriend (26M) Keeps Pranking Me, and I'm At My Breaking Point [NSFW]

:stare: :stare: :stare: :wtc:

I hope she gets out of this ok, and I also hope her friend does beat the poo poo out of the boyfriend. Purposefully putting jalapeno juice on your partner's genitals? Jesus loving christ, that is hosed up beyond all belief.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I surprisingly came around to his side a bit at the end. He comes across as kind of whiny but he puts in the effort, stocks things she likes, and as you mentioned she tosses anything he brings. The issue isn't actually that he wants her to "cater" to him, he just wants her to be somewhat considerate of some of the things he likes just as he is considerate of her tastes.

This is all assuming he's normal and not a 400 pound ball of flesh subsisting on nothing but Cheetos. I think in the end though there's probably some lifestyle incompatibility and that this issue is just a symptom.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

I swear there was a story here where someone was like "I eat my cereal with water" like it was just a normal not worth discussing detail and then in the comments somebody defended them with mentioning they ate their cereal with orange juice

my wife got pissed when I made her swiss miss hot chocolate with water

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

hawowanlawow posted:

Justifiably so, make that with milk. Also, switch to a good hot chocolate, and make that with milk.
ETA: Make oatmeal with milk, too. So much better.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

having a functioning food culture that hasnt been dismembered by food chemists is great and has really material benefits for peeps eating in that food culture. walk around in japan and walk around in texas and count the respective number of fat fucks

a material amount of the preservation of that food culture is very much done by shaming, but its by shaming food scientists and food corp execs and stuff.

They have tons of goofy sugar crap in Japan too, hth.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for refusing to pay for a lunch bill?

quote:

Using a throwra cuz u never know. This is an issue that's been bugging me over the last few days. So I work in a small office with 8 other women. This is a new job and I started in January but I have only been in the office working with them for about 3 weeks. Anyway, someone suggested we get together at this outdoor restaurant on the weekend so I went.

When I got there, the outdoor place was on the higher end. U could tell, like a small salad was like 14 dollars. But I rarely treat myself and they were so nice to invite me so I went in with a positive mindset. Lunch went well and I'm expecting one of us to ask for the check and we venmo the person money for our bill including tip or we each pay separately. Instead one of the girls, Heather(fake name) said why not play roulette.

I had no idea what this was and bascially, the gist of it is everyone puts thier credit card into a bag and the waitress pulls out the card and the last card left, the person pays for the bill. As soon as Heather said this, everyone seemed in agreement except me and another girl. Like I had ordered maybe 40 dollars worth of food and the bill was like 636.

Everyone but me and the other girl kept insisting to play but i put my foot down and I said absolutely not and it got super quiet at the table. I said "you guys can do it if you want but I'm not going to possibly pay for a 600 dollar bill. You guys must be out of your mind." The lunch date was pretty awkward after that. We all paid separately and I left.

It's been pretty awkward at work now. The girl who agreed with me and another lady are the only ones talking to me in a non-work capacity. But I just feel like that's an absurd game to play with someone u have just invited out to lunch. Plus what if I had been picked and then backed out, I think that would have been worse. I don't know. Maybe I overreacted but I just didn't want to be stuck with the bill. Or maybe I could have said it nicer. If I did overreact, I would like to apologize cuz this is a new job and I don't want to burn bridges I haven't even met yet.

So just wondering, AITA

Edit- I really wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I really was losing my mind wondering if my reaction was out of line. Thank you for answering. As for the income of everyone, it's not alot. All the ladies are like firmly middle class and not upper middle class which is why I was surprised at the place chosen just for a casual lunch. I do feel like I need to talk to my boss and one of the ladies that was there and explain why I felt so uncomfortable especially since that situation has spilled into work. This has given me the motivation to do so. Thanks for the replies once again!

Edit 2- I haven't talked to my boss since she's rarely in the office that much but I was running on confidence and talked to one of the ladies who was insisting I play, alone after work. She bascially told me that this was an initation thing that they do to all the new girls and that as the years go by, the cost has gone up and up. Bascially, they tell the waitress before hand what girl to watch out for so she knows what card to pick, in exchange for her getting a larger tip. The new girl pays and then later on, all the girls in the office treat her with a welcome lunch. She said the girls aren't really mad at me but mad that they had to foot the bill when they started because they felt pressure to play the game.

Seeing me and another girl say no, just made them evaluate why they make new ppl do this. So they are kinda of fighting among themselves and looks like I'm alright, I think. I'm staying well out of it but excuse my language, this just seems like highschool bullshit. Yea, so that's it. Thanks for the replies and I will definitely work on saying it differently like some of the replies mentioned. I could have definitely been nicer about it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for taking the man's cereal?

Is he really a man?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

having a functioning food culture that hasnt been dismembered by food chemists is great and has really material benefits for peeps eating in that food culture. walk around in japan and walk around in texas and count the respective number of fat fucks

a material amount of the preservation of that food culture is very much done by shaming, but its by shaming food scientists and food corp execs and stuff.

On the other hand, nearly 17% of Japanese have diabetes as compared to just 11% of Americans. White rice is basically sugar.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

its delayed dismembering, the corpos are sitting and thinking about how to kill the food culture

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warbadger posted:

On the other hand, nearly 17% of Japanese have diabetes as compared to just 11% of Americans. White rice is basically sugar.

Do they have people getting scurvy living off instant ramen?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grape posted:

yeah, and folks are getting fatter. it's still night and day, tho, and a huge source of reverse culture shock whenever i'm stateside.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Its even worse in China regarding the diabetes

Mr. Fix It posted:

yeah, and folks are getting fatter. it's still night and day, tho, and a huge source of reverse culture shock whenever i'm stateside.

Yeah, same. When I left the states everyone was like "drat you're skinny" and coming to Japan everyone was like "you are surprisingly not fat for a foreigner".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AITA for saying no to becoming the full-time carer for 3 kids while their parents leave the country without a return date?

quote:

My uncle, aunt and their 3 kids (5M, 8M, 10F) recently moved here from overseas, I'm their only family member in this country.

I assumed they had a full plan re: employment, childcare, etc before their move but nope.

Tonight my uncle called and said he needs to fly back (overseas) this week otherwise he'd lose his job. My aunt also needs to fly back first week of April for work, leaving their 3 children alone in this country. They will be overseas till "at least June" and not sure of a return date yet.

They said (not ask), "you and your partner can move into our place and help out with the kids, we have no other options." In his words: "They just need school pick up, drop off, feed them cereal for breakfast, make them sandwiches for lunches and cook dinner, won't be a lot of work."

I was in shock as he was so nonchalant with this big ask, I said I had to speak with my partner first, and they need to let me know what the day-to-day logistics are.

Now, I'm a childless 28F with a full time job and a live-in partner. There's no way I can do the school pick ups and drop offs since they're during my work hours and my employer knows that I don't have kids. I have no experience in raising children and haven't even done a first aid course, I'm not qualified to take care of a 5, 8 and 10-year old especially during this sensitive health period... what if they get sick, injured or die??

If it was only for a week or so I'd happily try my best, but we are talking about minimum 3 months with no solid end date in sight.

I messaged my aunt and explained what they're essentially asking me to do is to become a working single-mum of 3 (my partner cannot move into their place with me due to his work situation) and offered another solution:

Hire a nanny or au pair to do the pick ups/drop offs and housework. I can still move in to stay with the kids so they have family around.

My aunt said no right away as "we cannot trust people we don't know".... Meanwhile they had 2 au pairs when they lived overseas.

(This may explain why they think it's "not a lot of work" to look after 3 kids as they always had au pairs and live-in family members to take care of them, so the parents never needed to, well, parent. By the time they come home from work it's 9pm so the kids are asleep or just need bedtime cuddles.)

My aunt then said "let us figure it out, no worries"... I got the vibe that they are mad at me. I left the conversation there and hope to pick it up again before my uncle flies overseas this weekend.

I got kicked out by my abusive stepmum when I was 19, and they let me stay with them for free for 1 year so I'd absolutely love to repay them and help out where I can.

But I honestly don't think I'm qualified for this responsibility - worst case would be losing my new job since I cannot give my 100% while caring for 3 kids, and the kids might get hurt or upset because I have no experience of being a parent/full time carer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for saying no to becoming the full-time carer for 3 kids while their parents leave the country without a return date?

lol god drat those are some great parents.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it really that hard of a concept that if you want to do pretty much anything that's going to attract attention at a party, you should clear it with the host first? Some people getting married might have no problem with someone else using the fact that everyone is gathered to propose, but it should never be a surprise for the bride or groom.

If they are cool with it, when do you do it? I'd think right at the start before anything has actually begun, maybe. Any other time would be kind of disruptive or leave a bigger lasting impression than the wedding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sillybones posted:

If they are cool with it, when do you do it? I'd think right at the start before anything has actually begun, maybe. Any other time would be kind of disruptive or leave a bigger lasting impression than the wedding.

Depends on the flow of the event and the folks involved. If it's a reception where the DJ (or equivalent family member organizer shouting "okay everyone it's time for the cake") is doing a lot of callout stuff then you can tack it onto the end of those after the cake and daddy/daughter and mother/son dances and such, the family celebration segments. Start might work better with different plans.

Personally if I were to do such a thing it would just be an announcement along the lines of "I wanted to tell y'all while we were here together, and <brother> and <sis-in-law> gave their blessing, so <fiancee> and I are engaged. Woo, and all that."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 25, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty clear that the point definitely was to upstage the wedding and the cousin has a long history of doing that kind of poo poo.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
R/relationships: He is a brony. He wrote a thesis on bronyism.

hate hoot fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 25, 2020

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TBH I'm against big, public proposals in general. Too often they feel like one party is trying to peer pressure the other into saying yes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This thread is obviously proof that's not the case, but if the answer is in doubt you shouldn't be planning a proposal. The timing, location, or method can be a surprise, but the response shouldn't be.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
How is engagement not a discussion? A tradition that needs to die.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Grape posted:

I live in pizza country and have never seen such things.

Do these places use the shittiest boxes in the world or what?
It's more about American pizza being pretty heavy and often delivered. Imagine the structural demands of a stack of 10 extra large pizzas!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do they have people getting scurvy living off instant ramen?

Probably.

Japan had rich people dying for hundreds of years from thiamine deficiency because they ate exclusively polished white rice. It kill tons of people in the military because all you could eat white rice was used as an enticement to get people to enlist.

hawowanlawow posted:

That's the way I grew up having it and won't even consider using milk, mostly due to the generic store 1 gallon milk playing hell with my stomach. The best stuff like from Ghirardelli is even better because it lacks the overpowering sweetness and its almost like a savory drink. I mostly use it to mix with coffee instead of water now though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

hawowanlawow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyxjkblA6Ok

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

teen witch posted:

AITA for wearing a t-shirt with a comedy character on it?

Is this the same skeleton from the “SILENCE! I KEEL YOU” pics I occasionally see online? I always just thought it was a funny skeleton pic lol

E: I guess I googled it and it is pretty lovely lol. But the “silence I keel you!!” Line has usually been kind of funny to me.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 25, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Is this the same skeleton from the “SILENCE! I KEEL YOU” pics I occasionally see online? I always just thought it was a funny skeleton pic lol

E: I guess I googled it and it is pretty lovely lol. But the “silence I keel you!!” Line has usually been kind of funny to me.

Yeah, Achmed the Dead Terrorist is a lazy stereotype and was especially less than helpful with the attitude towards muslims a few years post 9/11.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Twitter user Barry bongss summarizes why so many of these stories ever happen

https://twitter.com/barrybongss2/status/1286819035863293952?s=19

I truly feel that inflatable palm tree in the back.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pentyne posted:

Probably.

Japan had rich people dying for hundreds of years from thiamine deficiency because they ate exclusively polished white rice.

They ate just rice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

They ate just rice?

Low ranking officers in the Japanese military would often eat nothing but white rice, as they didn't need to pay for it and it was considered a luxury and major reason to sign up, so something like 35% of the naval officers would get regular bouts of beriberi or die from it. They had to change and mandate a more complete diet to fix the issue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds like the equivalent of chicken tendies.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
A character that existed to dehumanise the enemy in war-time (free-use quote marks: """"") that I assume has been dropped by everyone since. That t-shirt would be like wearing this on a shirt:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

They ate just rice?

Yes, the military especially but also the wealthy. You had members of the imperial family dying in their early 30s from it because no other foods they ate contained any thiamine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And the thing is, rice as-harvested contains thiamine. The polishing process is what removes it.