Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

shadow puppet of a posted:

Saved to my HD as fyaddance.gif

Don't know the source.

its from a flash animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Nessa posted:

When I was a kid, I remember we had a tape of old cartoons from I’d guess the 50’s and one of them was about babies. It was a sing-along and had a little baby head bounce across the words as the song was sung. “Oh what a beautiful baby...” I think there was also a song about sugar and spice and everything nice. I remember scenes of storks delivering babies to homes. I wanna say it was Disney, but I have no idea.

I’m pregnant now and am interested in finding that old cartoon.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3a8qjs
(Sing-along part with bouncy baby heads comes later in the video)
Enjoy, and congrats on the little one!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was a toy or a game from the 80's that I can't find anywhere online. It was basically a building set that came with two factions or something. One was gray and blue and the other was white and red. I remember they shot blue and red flat plastic discs. I know you could make like a big walking tower or smaller vehicle like things. I asked my parents if they remember it and they do, but can't remember the name of the toy.

Any ideas?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This was posted in a different thread earlier today and reminds me of what you just described and gosh wouldn't that be a lucky coincidence

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had this, sort of. The version I had was called Crossbows and Catapults

It was pretty fun, and the disks couldn't roll away

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I almost popped up with that answer but I was like "big walking tower???" and that scared me away.

The best thing about Crossbows & Catapults is simultaneously wanting to own a set again and also finding one single piece of it every six months for the rest of your life and realizing if you had just kept the pieces instead of throwing them away you would probably have a nearly full set

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've owned a single red Crossbows and Catapults disc starting from the very beginning of my memories but I still can't really tell you if I owned or even played the game at any point in my life.

Its the most ethereal of games.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Teketeketeketeke posted:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3a8qjs
(Sing-along part with bouncy baby heads comes later in the video)
Enjoy, and congrats on the little one!

Oh my goodness, this is it! I literally haven’t seen this since I was 6 years old.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

This was posted in a different thread earlier today and reminds me of what you just described and gosh wouldn't that be a lucky coincidence

Those disks look almost exactly the same, but no. The one I'm looking for was futuristic. Also it may have been just a toy and not a game, but I seem to recall it being a game. You'd build things with the pieces. One was a walking robot with a crossbow kinda thing on it's head and another one on it's arm, but you could pretty much make what ever you wanted out of the very oddly shaped pieces. Like a weird combination of Capsela, Voltron, and Crossbows and Catapults. There were also little red and blue guys that could be positioned on all this stuff (like maybe an inch high, which is what gave everything "giant" scale).

edit:

Immortals of Change!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 21, 2020

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

The Walrus posted:

Been thinking about this one. I think it was drawn with a very stylized clean style, sort of like an airbrushed photoshop? I seem to recall that the main character or someone else breaks their leg in a very gruesome way near the beginning? Also I seem to recall that the main character's parents had some sort of secret human alter egos that were all he knew them as, but they were killed by two hitman type characters from their past.

Basically I seem to think it was like a cross between The Boys and The Old Guard. Someone help me out please. Probably early-mid 2000s

Could this possibly be Zenith by Grant Morrison? Some of the things match up...

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

sinnesloeschen posted:

3) one more nonfiction series, a host of very thin books from the early 1990s that featured, like, cross sections of ancient Egyptian/Roman/Greek houses with lots of comic doodles and blurbs about life in those ancient cultures

If one of the other answers hasn't satisfied this question, you might be looking for a series of books published in the 90s by "Candlewick Press," where they created fake newspapers set in various ancient civilizations. There were definitely books on the three civilizations you mentioned.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

yaffle posted:

Could this possibly be Zenith by Grant Morrison? Some of the things match up...

Nope, the main chracter definitely didnt wear a costume. it was more sort of myth-based than superhero based. i think.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's a Choose Your Own Adventure book (or possibly a knock-off series) published sometime before 1987 (I could be a year or so off) that contained a scene where two kids get kidnapped on a boat, tied up and thrown overboard to their death. (This is obviously one of the bad endings.) I think there's an illustration of this happening but my memory of it is very hazy.

It disturbed me so badly as a kid that my mom took it back to the store.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My dad worked for a company called Viking Freight for 20+ years before it got absorbed by other freight companies. It was a trucking company that served the western US from the 60s through the 90s. Before it got terribly corporate, they used to have shirts with a big illustration of a stereotypical viking driving a cab-over truck (flat front), with their foot smashed through the front grill of the truck, presumably accelerating hard.
I've been trying to find this image for a while now, and I've come up empty. If someone can find a decent image of the illustration, it'd be much appreciated.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
A video from TikTok or Vine or something, of a russian comparing teabag brands. Two teabags wear out after a few cups. Another brand fills cup after cup after cup, then a large canister, then a bathtub. The video ends with ominous music playing as he carries the teabag towards a lake.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
An old PC game from the early 90's that nobody played. It was on one of those old DOS games collection CD's that would typically have things like Miner VGA and usually a shareware copy of Doom on it although I can't remember what was specifically on this ones CD.

But it was like a top down RPG/Adventure kind of game. I think it took place on a space station or something like that, and the graphics were really simplistic. Every character was essentially just a colored dot and if someone attacked it was just a straight line and it would change the colour of the dot to purple or something. Can't remember the name or the plot, I think there was an underclass of aliens or something involved, I dunno. There were different levels of the ship/space station that you could visit and some levels were restricted or hostile or something. I just remember it was really hard and I wouldn't mind giving it a go again, because it seemed interesting. I also remember there was like oxygen mechanics, there were I think dark red tiles in the game that were essentially vacuum and you'd die if you were wearing proper equipment.

I've scoured websites that have loads of these kinds of game uploaded to them but I just can't find the thing. Anyone have any sort of idea?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

uvar posted:

A video from TikTok or Vine or something, of a russian comparing teabag brands. Two teabags wear out after a few cups. Another brand fills cup after cup after cup, then a large canister, then a bathtub. The video ends with ominous music playing as he carries the teabag towards a lake.

Not the original source, but:
https://twitter.com/russia_nc/status/1191710882872606722

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

resting bort face posted:

There's a Choose Your Own Adventure book (or possibly a knock-off series) published sometime before 1987 (I could be a year or so off) that contained a scene where two kids get kidnapped on a boat, tied up and thrown overboard to their death. (This is obviously one of the bad endings.) I think there's an illustration of this happening but my memory of it is very hazy.

It disturbed me so badly as a kid that my mom took it back to the store.

Was it Mystery of the Sacred Stones?

It was published in 1988. I had this book, and I remember the villain being kinda hardcore for the series. It was set on the coast and I'm pretty sure there were boats involved. I don't have a specific memory of the bit you are talking about, but it feels like it could fit into what I do remember of the book.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Thank you. That must have been where I saw it last time because I already liked the tweet :cripes: but with no context or description, no wonder I couldn't find it normally.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Nevermind, I think I actually found it. I guess it was a radiohead song, paranoid android

Garrand fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 25, 2020

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for an older (the early 2010s, I think) web series that was thematic montages of old movie/tv footage set to music. Usually old sci-fi or horror material, but I remember that there was one episode that was all Christmas movie footage. Usually, the montages were done to create humorous juxtapositions or to show patterns across different pieces of media.

Episodes ran for around 20-30 minutes and I remember the name of the series being something really silly with words like "cosmic" or "incredible" (may not use those actual words, though).

I had originally downloaded the show from Cinemageddon, a torrent tracker for B-movies, and had thought that it was some kind of original creation from one of the users, but later found the same series on a streaming site (I think it was Dailymotion or maybe Vimeo?). I've since lost the hard drive I had saved the videos on.

I really liked the series and would like to watch it again, but my old man memory is failing me. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, please let me know.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Has anyone mentioned 90s CCS mailorder catalogs? There are a few scans of a handful of covers online and sometimes you can see one on ebay but i'd love nothing more than to glip through a ccs from 1997.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Has anyone mentioned 90s CCS mailorder catalogs? There are a few scans of a handful of covers online and sometimes you can see one on ebay but i'd love nothing more than to glip through a ccs from 1997.

The format sucks and it's not the highest resolution but here's one:http://skateboardnostalgia.blogspot.com/2015/11/ccs-summer-1997-catalog.html

Some other years I found while looking: ~1988, Fall 1992 (and another brand from 1994), ~1995, Summer 1996, and partial scans from 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994

There's also a lot of covers here, but unfortunately the rest of the pages didn't get archived and the website died about five years ago.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Zealander posted:

I'm trying to find Laments puzzle box.

I know they custom make them in Florida somewhere, but they're like 400 bucks with questionable payment/delivery options.

I want the one that works, not just a wooden cube with paint on it.

I scoured shops when I was in downtown LA. Couldn't find one. All they had were stupid Oscar statues.

I found 3d printed ones that work on Etsy, you just have to paint them, it looks like. That's the closest I could find. Obviously not metal and brass.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dr.D-O posted:

I'm looking for an older (the early 2010s, I think) web series that was thematic montages of old movie/tv footage set to music. Usually old sci-fi or horror material, but I remember that there was one episode that was all Christmas movie footage. Usually, the montages were done to create humorous juxtapositions or to show patterns across different pieces of media.

Episodes ran for around 20-30 minutes and I remember the name of the series being something really silly with words like "cosmic" or "incredible" (may not use those actual words, though).

I had originally downloaded the show from Cinemageddon, a torrent tracker for B-movies, and had thought that it was some kind of original creation from one of the users, but later found the same series on a streaming site (I think it was Dailymotion or maybe Vimeo?). I've since lost the hard drive I had saved the videos on.

I really liked the series and would like to watch it again, but my old man memory is failing me. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, please let me know.

This sound very close to Concrete TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg3uxC9ZiQc

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

This isn't what I was looking for, but you are right that it is extremely similar.

The series I'm looking for wasn't as fast-paced and used much more obscure footage.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Back in the glory days of MTV, they played a song called "Onion Skin" by a band whose name I can't remember. I just know it wasn't by Boom Crash Opera. It was the same song, just by a different band.

YouTube and Google just give me the Boom Crash Opera version.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A pyramid or maybe ice berg meme about conspiracies. There are a BUNCH of these, so I have little hope. At the lowest (highest? the most esoteric theories) rung, I think it had "golf stories". It might not have been that because I can't find anything about golf stories+ conspiracy with a cursory google search.

e: nvm, I actually just found it. It's some 4chan thing

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 25, 2020

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

rockinricky posted:

Back in the glory days of MTV, they played a song called "Onion Skin" by a band whose name I can't remember. I just know it wasn't by Boom Crash Opera. It was the same song, just by a different band.

YouTube and Google just give me the Boom Crash Opera version.

A band called Warpaint covered it in 2014, but that seems later than you’re looking for. I can’t find any other covers of it, although there’s an extended “remix.”

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

torgo posted:

Was it Mystery of the Sacred Stones?

It was published in 1988. I had this book, and I remember the villain being kinda hardcore for the series. It was set on the coast and I'm pretty sure there were boats involved. I don't have a specific memory of the bit you are talking about, but it feels like it could fit into what I do remember of the book.

Researching this title, I discovered a podcast that's going title by title through the original CYOA series. And out of 79 episodes, Mystery of the Sacred Stones is literally the most recent episode, having come out 5 days ago. That is a bizarre coincidence.

Listening to it now https://www.stupendousaurusrex.com/daring/2020/7/20/book-79-mystery-of-the-sacred-stones

edit: They didn't get to that scene in their readthrough on the podcast, but I went ahead and emailed them to see if they had any idea where I might have read that scene.

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 25, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A good quality copy of the short animated film My Love (2006) by Aleksandr Petrov. I can’t find a good copy for sale anywhere

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Jenny Agutter posted:

A good quality copy of the short animated film My Love (2006) by Aleksandr Petrov. I can’t find a good copy for sale anywhere

Everything in my post is probably less helpful than five minutes chat with someone living in Russia, but... What's "good quality"? Despite being filmed on an IMAX camera (says Wikipedia) it looks like it was only commercially released on DVD, so the physical product probably won't be much better than the 720p rips on youtube and mail.ru. https://blu-ray-shop.com.ua/mulytfilymi-aleksandra-petrova-korova-son-smeshnogo-cheloveka-rusalka-moya-lyubovy-dvd maybe if you're determined, they show a price in dollars and apparently ship internationally (if it's actually in stock). ("Фильмы Александра Петрова PAL DVD", like you I couldn't find the original release anywhere)

On the other hand the artbook looks amazing - e.g. https://baxmyp-ka.livejournal.com/20323.html - 1 (of 1000?) copies is on Abe Books for $200, again assuming it's actually available.

A few photos from some exhibition https://vk.com/albums-16380468 just because.

I spent way too long looking at info about that movie instead of mopping my floors.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I need a youtube channel that compiles failures videos with the specific cultivated quality of TwisterNederland that shut down like 6 years ago. Stupid things breaking and people taking the odd bump but nobody dying and nothing gruesome. Just boats breaking and people falling off rope swings and maybe some glass breaking in between the endless russian dashcams. Thats all I want.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Plus; no "obvious fake" fail videos please.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

I need a youtube channel that compiles failures videos with the specific cultivated quality of TwisterNederland that shut down like 6 years ago. Stupid things breaking and people taking the odd bump but nobody dying and nothing gruesome. Just boats breaking and people falling off rope swings and maybe some glass breaking in between the endless russian dashcams. Thats all I want.

Check out the OSHA thread in gbs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

uvar posted:

Everything in my post is probably less helpful than five minutes chat with someone living in Russia, but... What's "good quality"? Despite being filmed on an IMAX camera (says Wikipedia) it looks like it was only commercially released on DVD, so the physical product probably won't be much better than the 720p rips on youtube and mail.ru. https://blu-ray-shop.com.ua/mulytfilymi-aleksandra-petrova-korova-son-smeshnogo-cheloveka-rusalka-moya-lyubovy-dvd maybe if you're determined, they show a price in dollars and apparently ship internationally (if it's actually in stock). ("Фильмы Александра Петрова PAL DVD", like you I couldn't find the original release anywhere)

On the other hand the artbook looks amazing - e.g. https://baxmyp-ka.livejournal.com/20323.html - 1 (of 1000?) copies is on Abe Books for $200, again assuming it's actually available.

A few photos from some exhibition https://vk.com/albums-16380468 just because.

I spent way too long looking at info about that movie instead of mopping my floors.

thanks for the information, you mentioned some stuff I never thought of. I actually do know a couple people who know Russian, never thought to ask them

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does the goon who published Goonbumps still post? I don't remember what his name was or what the thread was where people shared scary stories together. I wanted to see if he could get the book published on Kindle and I could buy it that way.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/elemental-gearbolt-assassin-case

The "Elemental Gearbolt Assassin Case" for PS1.

Every so often one pops up on ebay, and I never see it in time. :/

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

sigher posted:

Does the goon who published Goonbumps still post? I don't remember what his name was or what the thread was where people shared scary stories together. I wanted to see if he could get the book published on Kindle and I could buy it that way.

It looks like it was put together by Tewbrainer, who hasn’t posted since 2016. Sorry :(

If you have archives, the 2015 ghost story thread has links to a lot of the past ghost story threads.

If you don’t have archives, this site has text versions of some stories. Also, this PDF on someone’s Dropbox has a lot of stuff in it.

You might be able to use Calibre to make your own ebooks, but I haven’t used it myself so I can’t say for sure.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

el fikus posted:

YES THANK YOU THIS IS IT HOLY poo poo AND IT'S JUST AS AMAZING AS I REMEMBER

Hey I remember that! I still have it. I also have ZZA and Futhman versions of Insane in the Brain, Just a Friend, Regulators, and Shame on a Nigga if you're interested. They still pop into my head when I hear the originals sometimes. As I recall ZZA was aka ZoomZip and did the instrumentals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

shelley posted:

It looks like it was put together by Tewbrainer, who hasn’t posted since 2016. Sorry :(

If you have archives, the 2015 ghost story thread has links to a lot of the past ghost story threads.

If you don’t have archives, this site has text versions of some stories. Also, this PDF on someone’s Dropbox has a lot of stuff in it.

You might be able to use Calibre to make your own ebooks, but I haven’t used it myself so I can’t say for sure.

drat... thanks for the info, maybe I'll just have to eBook it myself.