Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DIY isn't dumb.
I'm in the middle of building my own NAS instead of just buying a ready to go solution. I don't think I'm saving any money though.

I recently finished my budget DIY NAS build, based on an ASRock J4105-ITX board in a Fractal Node 304 case. I'm just starting out with the spare drives I have for now (3+2+2+1 TB) as a Btrfs RAID1 pool.

I'm saving around $100 over a Synology DS418 and I have room for one more disk (6 bays, one taken for the system SSD), more CPU/GPU power, a wider selection of software plus the ability to also use it as an HTPC and whatever else I think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nm posted:

gently caress me, getting nice 15in tires is getting harder and harder. Even what is made is out of stock, I'm assuming maybe due to 'rona?
So who's the idiot putting RE-71Rs on his daily (TBF <5000mi per year) mazda 2?
This guy.

The BFGs that are sold in my size are out of stock like nationwide and everything else not 200TW sucked. I'm honestly curious if this much grip will make the car less fun. I have RE-71Rs on the subaru and it does sometimes have too much grip for public roads but it also have a lot of poo poo done to it.

PFfft. Try to find 13" tires for a first-gen RX-7 factory wheels. There's like 2, and they're crap tires.
Then try to find wheels that *aren't* 13", difficult thanks to the weird 4 x 110mm bolt pattern.

Yokohama used to make AVS Intermediates in 205/50-13, which were great, but no longer sold, at least in the US, and I had 13" BFG Radial T/As on my Monza at one point. Smaller-sized performance are still available in Japan, of course.

edit: new page, so added the post I'm replying to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Darchangel posted:

PFfft. Try to find 13" tires for a first-gen RX-7 factory wheels. There's like 2, and they're crap tires.
Then try to find wheels that *aren't* 13", difficult thanks to the weird 4 x 110mm bolt pattern.

Yokohama used to make AVS Intermediates in 205/50-13, which were great, but no longer sold, at least in the US, and I had 13" BFG Radial T/As on my Monza at one point. Smaller-sized performance are still available in Japan, of course.

edit: new page, so added the post I'm replying to.

loving ouch.
I'm glad miatas exist because they're keeping the 15in autocross tire alive. I loving hate big wheels. Stupid rubberband tires, make your brakes look small, heavy.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

nm posted:

gently caress me, getting nice 15in tires is getting harder and harder. Even what is made is out of stock, I'm assuming maybe due to 'rona?
So who's the idiot putting RE-71Rs on his daily (TBF <5000mi per year) mazda 2?
This guy.

The BFGs that are sold in my size are out of stock like nationwide and everything else not 200TW sucked. I'm honestly curious if this much grip will make the car less fun. I have RE-71Rs on the subaru and it does sometimes have too much grip for public roads but it also have a lot of poo poo done to it.

What size? Some of the “off” brands on amazon get good reviews and are dirt cheap

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

everdave posted:

What size? Some of the “off” brands on amazon get good reviews and are dirt cheap

I'm a tire whore, even my "cheap" tires are reasonably good BFGoodrich summers.
Stock is 185/55/15
I'm currently running 195/50/15 BFG Sport Comp 2s
New tires are 205/50/15s because they fit and don't mess up the speedo as much as the 195s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I recently finished my budget DIY NAS build, based on an ASRock J4105-ITX board in a Fractal Node 304 case. I'm just starting out with the spare drives I have for now (3+2+2+1 TB) as a Btrfs RAID1 pool.

I'm saving around $100 over a Synology DS418 and I have room for one more disk (6 bays, one taken for the system SSD), more CPU/GPU power, a wider selection of software plus the ability to also use it as an HTPC and whatever else I think of.

If you want to fill all the bays and don't mind using a lovely desktop HDDs I'll send you 2 1TB 7200RPM drives.
Just stick the ssd to the side of one of the HDDs with 3m foam tape or something.

I might even be able to dig up a couple sata cables, but you'll have to figure out the power connections.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

What is the lug pattern? Is the Corolla 5 lug now or still 4? I saw a nice set of 86 OEM alloys with tires for 300+ shipping on Croooooooooober yesterday on IG

It's 5 lug. That sounds pretty sweet. I've always liked the 86 OEM rims.

Anyways how are you guys holding up? Anyone else still working from home?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

loving ouch.
I'm glad miatas exist because they're keeping the 15in autocross tire alive. I loving hate big wheels. Stupid rubberband tires, make your brakes look small, heavy.

There are a few wheels available - Minilite replicas, and several others. I upgraded to the 84-5 GSL-SE suspension, which used the much friendlier 4 x 115.4 AKA 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern that a lot of cars used, and some still do. Switched to 16" Koenig wheels I bought from a guy getting rid of all his second-gen RX-7 stuff. The tires were too big, but fit OK until I they wore out and I could replace them. It's currently wearing the OEM wheels and worn out tires from out Kia Spectra5. Same bolt pattern and tire size! I swapped them when the tires wore out on the Kia, and I had fresh tires on the dead-engine '7. In a serendipitous happenstance, the offsets were actually *better* on both vehicles. The Koenigs poke just a little more than I would like on the RX-7 ("cheeky", not "taking the piss", to use Project Binky terms,) and the Kia's wheels were a tad sunk. Now both cars are close to flush without fouling the fenders. Debating keeping the wheels as they are when I sell the Kia, though it's not expensive to find a set of the Kia wheels. I think they look pretty dang good on the car:

Not that the Koenigs look bad:

(This is with the too-large FC-sized tires. They rubbed a bit, and I had to roll the fenders. Somehow I don't have pictures after I got the proper sized tires, but the sizing is identical to the Kia wheels, other than offset. Also don't have a 3/4 view pic with those wheels.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm half in the office half WFH and it's pretty much my new normal.
Working from home sorta sucks because my wife works on the days that I'm home so I have to somehow juggle a 2 year old, conference calls, and actually getting work done.
Then again, it's still better than driving into the office every day so I'll take it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Not that the Koenigs look bad:

My friend's dad used to have a RX-7 FB back in the day and he loved it so much that he still has a picture of it on his desk. He really helped me out when I got out of college and I have been looking for a red FB diecast car to give him but I haven't been able to find one anywhere :(

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm half in the office half WFH and it's pretty much my new normal.
Working from home sorta sucks because my wife works on the days that I'm home so I have to somehow juggle a 2 year old, conference calls, and actually getting work done.
Then again, it's still better than driving into the office every day so I'll take it.

Yeah same here. I just moved into a new apartment so no more roommates (woohoo)! I still have to go to the office maybe twice a week though but I don't mind the change in scenery personally. I can not imagine having to deal with kids right now though I do not know how you do it haha.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yo!
I'm Desktop support, so I go in once a week to handle stuff that requires hands-on. We're not going back until numbers decline for at least 3 weeks running, according to corporate, and TX keeps loving that up. Even then, it'll only be 15% in the office for a while to maintain spacing.

64bit_Dophins posted:

My friend's dad used to have a RX-7 FB back in the day and he loved it so much that he still has a picture of it on his desk. He really helped me out when I got out of college and I have been looking for a red FB diecast car to give him but I haven't been able to find one anywhere :(

Hot wheels makes a current casting, but it's an early first gen, like mine (SA22C) and wearing an early IMSA body kit. It comes in a dark red:

It also comes in yellow, white, green, and blue that I'm aware of.

edit: ah, there's a newer, redder variant, a K-Mart exclusive, apparently:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 31, 2020

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Yo!
I'm Desktop support, so I go in once a week to handle stuff that requires hands-on. We're not going back until numbers decline for at least 3 weeks running, according to corporate, and TX keeps loving that up. Even then, it'll only be 15% in the office for a while to maintain spacing.

Hot wheels makes a current casting, but it's an early first gen, like mine (SA22C) and wearing an early IMSA body kit. It comes in a dark red:

It also comes in yellow, white, green, and blue that I'm aware of.

edit: ah, there's a newer, redder variant, a K-Mart exclusive, apparently:

This is sick! I was looking for something bigger that he could put on his desk or something but I'm probably going to get this for myself haha. I love old RX7s.

My company is also doing the 3 week thing but like Texas Georgia probably will not be there for a long time now. I'm not sure what the 'return to office' plan is but I'm pretty sure it will be slow. Fortunately I have been given the option to work from home indefinitely which may not be good for me because I keep wanting to buy things for this new place.

Really trying to resist buying a new flat screen.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a blue one that is yours if you want it. Just tell me where to ship it to.

Edit: Tomica and AutoArt both make a 1:18 but they don't come cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Savanna-Scale-Diecast-Model/dp/B0017ARR1W?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Edit 2: Pandora RC make a 1:10 RC lexan body that can be dropped on any touring car. Paint it any color you want! https://www.pandora-rc.net/drift/mazda/mazda-savanna-rx-7-sa22c

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 31, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah same here. I just moved into a new apartment so no more roommates (woohoo)! I still have to go to the office maybe twice a week though but I don't mind the change in scenery personally. I can not imagine having to deal with kids right now though I do not know how you do it haha.

She's 2 so it's not that big of a deal. Her default mode is 'run around and have fun' which is much better than 'destroy everything in sight' so it's honestly not bad. She's a sweet kid
It's just heartbreaking that I can't let her play with the neighbor's kids. The entire neighborhood plays together and nobody wears a mask anymore and they're all going to work every day sooooooooo gently caress that.
My father in law just had a coronary bypass and we are visiting occasionally to help them out. Not really willing to risk potentially exposing them to anything regardless of how I think my daughter, wife, and I would fare.

I have to snag some groceries tomorrow so I'll swing by the toy aisle and see if they have any red FB's. This is one thing I really miss about Toys R Us, just being able to pop in and see if you can grab some Legos or something last minute.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I keep wanting to buy things for this new place.
I have not been doing well in this regard. I'm supposed to be saving up money to finish the basement but I keep pissing it away it on other dumb poo poo that I've wanted like keyboards and DJ poo poo and now this NAS.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 31, 2020

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

McTinkerson posted:

I have a blue one that is yours if you want it. Just tell me where to ship it to.

Edit: Tomica and AutoArt both make a 1:18 but they don't come cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Savanna-Scale-Diecast-Model/dp/B0017ARR1W?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Edit 2: Pandora RC make a 1:10 RC lexan body that can be dropped on any touring car. Paint it any color you want! https://www.pandora-rc.net/drift/mazda/mazda-savanna-rx-7-sa22c

The Tomica one is perfect! Thank you so much!

I'll DM you my addy.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

She's 2 so it's not that big of a deal. Her default mode is 'run around and have fun' which is much better than 'destroy everything in sight' so it's honestly not bad. She's a sweet kid
It's just heartbreaking that I can't let her play with the neighbor's kids. The entire neighborhood plays together and nobody wears a mask anymore and they're all going to work every day sooooooooo gently caress that.
My father in law just had a coronary bypass and we are visiting occasionally to help them out. Not really willing to risk potentially exposing them to anything regardless of how I think my daughter, wife, and I would fare.

I have to snag some groceries tomorrow so I'll swing by the toy aisle and see if they have any red FB's. This is one thing I really miss about Toys R Us, just being able to pop in and see if you can grab some Legos or something last minute.

I have not been doing well in this regard. I'm supposed to be saving up money to finish the basement but I keep pissing it away it on other dumb poo poo that I've wanted like keyboards and DJ poo poo and now this NAS.

I was just thinking about that the other day. Do parents just buy toys on Amazon now? The toy aisles at Target and similar retail stores do not seem to be what they used to be either.

You are smart not to let her out. The kids in my old neighborhood were all running around without masks either. Aren't kids under 5 a particularly vulnerable population for Corona or am I misinformed?

I have also been buying keyboards and guitar pedals but I've been good for the past 2 months or so. Right now I've been spending a bunch of new furniture and stuff to hang on the walls. Oh also silverware! I've been doing the college thing of using a bunch of not matching kitchen utensils forever but now I figure I might as well get some nice stuff because I have the money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well the haus of technical support is not helpful, so i'll ask here...i want to verify that the problem with my computer is the video card and not the motherboard. it has an onboard video (hdmi) on it but i have no idea how to enable it when i cant see anything. plugging the HDMI cable in did not automatically enable the onboard video.

mobo is MSI Arsenal Gaming Tomahawk B450 max

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

well the haus of technical support is not helpful, so i'll ask here...i want to verify that the problem with my computer is the video card and not the motherboard. it has an onboard video (hdmi) on it but i have no idea how to enable it when i cant see anything. plugging the HDMI cable in did not automatically enable the onboard video.

You probably need to boot to the BIOS and configure it there, or at least verify it.. The onboard video is usually turned off when there's an external card.

If it's on and doesn't work, it's probably the MoBo. If the card works in a different computer, it's definitely the MoBo.

If neither works, throw it in the river and buy a new computer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ok, i took out the video card but i still have no way to see the bios. the LED light check engine light for VGA (on the motherboard) is lit red. maybe a reset of the bios to factory settings?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

ok, i took out the video card but i still have no way to see the bios. the LED light check engine light for VGA (on the motherboard) is lit red. maybe a reset of the bios to factory settings?

Yes, that should enable any onboard video.

If you still get nothing, you probably have a CPU / motherboard / RAM problem.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I used to pay £35 each fitted for decent 13" tyres, they're often not in stock now and have crept up to £50. The only ones cheaper are odd-named Chinese brands. When I had the AWD Volvo luckily I sold it before I needed to replace the tyres but it was going to be cheaper to buy 17" wheels and tyres than good 16" tyres alone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well on some computer chat I have a customers 2018 MacBook Air and I can’t erase the drive or reinstall it just hangs on unlocking the drive, just sits there overnight and doesn’t do anything. Yes we know the password. Non-removable ssd. Any ideas? Can’t boot from external drive with drive and t2 chip encrypted but is it just f’ed or what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I cut off the branches off a tree that were touching the house and now my shoulders don't want to work properly.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

BraveUlysses posted:

...mobo is MSI Arsenal Gaming Tomahawk B450 max

That sounds like you have an AMD Ryzen chip. No integrated graphics in those. Your motherboard HDMI port won't display anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I cut off the branches off a tree that were touching the house and now my shoulders don't want to work properly.

Welcome to getting old

everdave posted:

Well on some computer chat I have a customers 2018 MacBook Air and I can’t erase the drive or reinstall it just hangs on unlocking the drive, just sits there overnight and doesn’t do anything. Yes we know the password. Non-removable ssd. Any ideas? Can’t boot from external drive with drive and t2 chip encrypted but is it just f’ed or what?

You can maybe search that Louis Rossman channel on YouTube if nobody here knows the answer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you want to fill all the bays and don't mind using a lovely desktop HDDs I'll send you 2 1TB 7200RPM drives.
Just stick the ssd to the side of one of the HDDs with 3m foam tape or something.

I might even be able to dig up a couple sata cables, but you'll have to figure out the power connections.

lovely desktop drives are what I use :v: Currently it's a WD Green, a HGST Deskstar, a Seagate Barracuda and a Samsung Spinpoint.

I only have 6 SATA ports and one is taken by the SSD, so 5 spinners is what I have room for. I would have 8 SATA ports, but the 2 ASMedia ports on the mobo are not to be trusted, they randomly refuse to detect disks and get flaky with big transfers. Ah, cheap consumer hardware. At least I found a good PCIe x1 Marvell-based 4-port SATA card.

So the drive in the last bay will probably have to be a biggun. But I appreciate then offer :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve owned my car for 1000 miles...bought it back in April. Thanks WFH!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nothing lovely about most HGST drives. I have 2 that have nearly 10 years of power-on time, another has over 8. I don't put anything irreplaceable on them at this point, but they've lasted through.... 4 builds now?

devmd, I just hit 6k on mine. Bought it in October. I'm "essential", so still working full time in person, but my driving is 99% to/from work. There was a time when I did 5k/month..

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nah, It's a great drive. It's just a "lovely desktop drive" from the perspective of a professional computer toucher who's been messing around with giant arrays of helium-filled SAS drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, It's a great drive. It's just a "lovely desktop drive" from the perspective of a professional computer toucher who's been messing around with giant arrays of helium-filled SAS drives.

Yeah but to put that into perspective, I'm about to build a NAS of 64TB of those HGST Helium filled SAS drives and I consider that to be fairly dated already when I go to work and get to build out our SAN's Gold aggregate with 100 TB of SSD's.
Hell even that is slow compared to Intel's new PCIe 4.0 SSD.
The point is, even with a gig connection to your NAS you're not likely to overrun the performance of your lovely desktop drives unless you're trying to connect like a dozen security cameras and stream movies 24/7.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On tyre chat, yes, getting decent tyres in smaller sizes can be a pain, I was able to get the Panda's original fitment 15" Goodyears from Costco, but it seems like most "proper" stuff starts at 17" now.

Though the use of 15" for racing stuff means it's not the worst supported size.

Dunlop Sport BluResponse are pretty good, and available in a few "legacy" 14/15/16 sizes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The wildest stuff I'm going to be streaming is 48kHz/16bit FLAC and 1080p x264-encoded video. My drives will do at least ~130MB/s transfer speeds and everything is on Gbit ethernet or 802.11ac (sustained ~260Mbit/s). I have more than enough bandwidth for everything I can think of doing, especially since we'll be just two people using it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DIY isn't dumb.
I'm in the middle of building my own NAS instead of just buying a ready to go solution. I don't think I'm saving any money though.
So far I've spent:
$80 - Lenovo TS440 + 16GB ECC RAM
$73.68 - additional backplane+cage for 4 more hotswap drives
$24.38 - Power conversion module for additional backplane
$11.40 - Mini SAS to Mini SAS cable
$1060 - 8 HGST HE10 8TB SAS drives
$21.83 in connectors from Digikey to build my own power cable to connect the second backplane to the Power Conversion Module

So that's $211.29 for an 8 drive capable NAS and another $1060 in Helium filled SAS drives because I'm dumb and think they're cool (actually they're quite literally cooler than their air filled counterparts) for a grand total of $1271.29 to build what is essentially a desktop that I can just dump files on.

i have a homebuilt nas too. mostly because i wanted a shallow 1U formfactor with front drive trays and without screamer fans. its a supermicro i got at auction for like $25 with a dead P4 board in it (i dont think it was even a xeon) and i put a dual core atom board in it so it would sip power, as it gets left on all the time. ive been running it for several years now, though i recently put in 4x 10TB shucked wd white-label reds. they're slow, but as you say, it can saturate gigabit just fine.

im thinking about upgrading the board one of these days; modern cpus are probably 10x the performance while still staying under like 20W for the cpu

what do yall run software-wise? ive been using centos for a long time, though my current install of centos 8 seems to be having an issue where it gets slower and slower every day, so i reboot it every week or two. maybe i jumped the gun upgrading to 8.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Inspection is 4 hours away, can't wait to find out even more poo poo that is wrong with the house.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

im thinking about upgrading the board one of these days; modern cpus are probably 10x the performance while still staying under like 20W for the cpu

The Celeron J4105 in mine has a 10w TDP and can do four simultaneous 4K transcodes on the GPU. It's wild.

quote:

what do yall run software-wise? ive been using centos for a long time, though my current install of centos 8 seems to be having an issue where it gets slower and slower every day, so i reboot it every week or two. maybe i jumped the gun upgrading to 8.

I'm a filthy Euro, so I use openSUSE Leap 15.2, it's pretty rad. YaST is a great management tool and aside from using systemd and a few other things, openSUSE is still delightfully old-fashioned in a lot of ways. And it probably has the best Btrfs support of any current distro.

SSD for the system and a Btrfs RAID1 pool for the storage drives. Currently I'm running Samba, NFS and vsftpd for file access, and I'll be adding a DLNA server when I find the best one. As this is also my HTPC, I'm currently using just SMPlayer and a wireless touchpad keyboard, but I'm probably going to install Kodi and use the Android remote app, plus Kodi would also cover the DLNA server part.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KozmoNaut posted:

The Celeron J4105 in mine has a 10w TDP and can do four simultaneous 4K transcodes on the GPU. It's wild.

I'm a filthy Euro, so I use openSUSE Leap 15.2, it's pretty rad. YaST is a great management tool and aside from using systemd and a few other things, openSUSE is still delightfully old-fashioned in a lot of ways. And it probably has the best Btrfs support of any current distro.

SSD for the system and a Btrfs RAID1 pool for the storage drives. Currently I'm running Samba, NFS and vsftpd for file access, and I'll be adding a DLNA server when I find the best one. As this is also my HTPC, I'm currently using just SMPlayer and a wireless touchpad keyboard, but I'm probably going to install Kodi and use the Android remote app, plus Kodi would also cover the DLNA server part.

interesting, i havent ever met someone who actually uses suse. isnt it just german redhat

i do not trust btrfs; my main volume is xfs and i plan to keep it like that for a long while

something like that celeron is the kind of thing id consider replacing it with. according to cpumark (who knows how they weight anything) it's 7x faster than my little atom, lol. 4x faster single core and 10x faster multicore if you believe geekbench

i think if i upgrade, id like to have ecc, though

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

devmd01 posted:

I’ve owned my car for 1000 miles...bought it back in April. Thanks WFH!

Ours hit 1000 a couple weeks ago having bought it in Feb

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Raluek posted:

what do yall run software-wise?

FreeNAS. It may not be quite what people are looking for for a home setup but I use it extensively at work and for the small unit I'm building at home it'll do perfectly.

I run a Sandisk USB SSD as a boot device, 2 * 256Gb SSD and 4 * 10 TB drives in a basic ZFS for bulk storage in a basic 4 bay Mini ITX Supermicro that I put together from failed systems we were junking - bit of RAM here, a live PSU there and viola. It's encouraged too so we dont have to pay for e-waste - I kinda thought about one of the 24 bay rack units but that was just silly. I have a replication target offsite so I have have 2 weeks worth of hourly snap shots and replication of those overnight. I'm just feeding the system gradually so I dont have too much data to replicate per day as doing an intial replication of a couple of TB would have taken a month. The SSD's are presented as an iSCSI target (because why not) and the spinning rust is just a Samba share.

As a few more bits of hardware come out of production I might build a 24RU rack but eh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

interesting, i havent ever met someone who actually uses suse. isnt it just german redhat

SUSE Linux Enterprise is basically the German equivalent to Red Hat, yes. The first release was based on Slackware and came out a few months before the first Red Hat release. Similarly to how Red Hat has backing from IBM, SUSE is supported by SAP and others. OpenSUSE is the equivalent of CentOS/Fedora.

In a way, they're sort of alternate universe versions of each other. Red Hat has Gnome, SUSE has KDE. Red Hat has completely ditched Btrfs support, SUSE uses it by default, similar to how they used ReiserFS when everyone else was using ext3.

I prefer the SUSE choices and approach, plus SUSE 6.4 was my very first Linux distro I played around with back in the day :)

quote:

i do not trust btrfs; my main volume is xfs and i plan to keep it like that for a long while

I hope you're using xfs in some kind of RAID1/10/5/6, then :)

Honestly I only have positive experiences with Btrfs, even in my inadvertent attempts to kill it by hooking up one disk in the pool to a crappy SATA controller that would die on high loads. After I put the drive on a good controller, a Btrfs scrub took the better part of a day, but it did correct 100% of the accumulated errors from using the bad controller. And the machine was completely usable the whole time, aside from a little extra disk activity.

Obviously don't use RAID5/6, since that is broken (only really in a specific corner case, but still) and very clearly advised against everywhere. Other than that, there aren't really any more quirks than with any other file system. You just have to learn some Btrfs-specific tools.

quote:

something like that celeron is the kind of thing id consider replacing it with. according to cpumark (who knows how they weight anything) it's 7x faster than my little atom, lol. 4x faster single core and 10x faster multicore if you believe geekbench

i think if i upgrade, id like to have ecc, though

I'm not sure how AMD is on ECC memory, but they do have some tasty high performance per watt CPUs coming out. Initially in laptops, but I bet they'll be coming to ITX/microATX boards as well.

Intel still supports ECC on the Core i3, I think.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 31, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BraveUlysses posted:

Terminus Est posted:

That sounds like you have an AMD Ryzen chip. No integrated graphics in those. Your motherboard HDMI port won't display anything.

This is not technically correct as there are Ryzen family chips with APUs (-G models) but very few people buy them. Agreed it is likely that BraveUlysses does not have an APU and thus cannot use onboard video.

BraveUlysses posted:

On MSI boards, that means that the board can't find a graphics device and make it work. You really need to find another known good video card and test it. Alternatively, have a friend put your presumed dead video card in their box and test it that way. I think it's almost certainly the video card if it was working before, you haven't pushed a recent BIOS update, the monitor is known good, and the VGA indicator light is on when you try to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

freelop posted:

Ours hit 1000 a couple weeks ago having bought it in Feb

I used to do about 500 miles a week commuting and general farting about which has been under 50 since March. Even when the virus chronicles are over I am not going back to the commute so thanks dude who ate a bat in China I guess.