Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm able to watch abema now, i assume they just air lower divisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’m watching some of these and HOO BOY that’s a lot of really long names that I’m going to have trouble keeping straight. And their dress and hairstyles being similar doesn’t help things much.

Interestingly even the non Japanese folks adopt Japanese names.

Anyway I guess exposure is the only way to get over this hump.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
They get given a special Sumo name, it's part of the requirement of being a wrestler. Join a house, get a new name, dress in outfits straight outta 875. Gotta grow your hair out and have it in the correct style as well, when you watch new wrestlers you can see they're in the process of growing it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Thauros posted:

i'm able to watch abema now, i assume they just air lower divisions?

They were airing the entire thing from what I was watching

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chinook posted:

I’m watching some of these and HOO BOY that’s a lot of really long names that I’m going to have trouble keeping straight. And their dress and hairstyles being similar doesn’t help things much.

Belt colour was one of the first things I used to tell people apart before I got used to the names and started recognizing people. That and I think part of Ishiura and Enho's appeal is that they have super distinct body types that make them instantly recognizable even by first time watchers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chinook posted:

An easy way to get started recognizing guys is by using the color of their mawashi (the silk loincloth thing they wear). While they occasionally change the color, most guys rock the same color for quite a while (Kaisei has been orange as long as I can remember, same with Tamawashi and the sky blue). Then, pick out a couple guys who are really physically distinctive. European foreigners can be easier in this respect because they stand out, like Tochinoshin, Kaisei (although he's actually Brazilian), and Aoiyama. There are also some very distinctive looking non-European wrestlers, like Chiyomaru (huge round belly, no neck), Takarafuji (almost bald), and Enho (looks like a tiny child). Then you'll get used to the whole "massive dudes with identical haircuts" thing and be able to recognize most of the key players.

Don't feel bad if it's hard though. I've been seriously into sumo for several years now, and I still couldn't pick Sadanoumi out of a lineup. Daiesho is now consistently in the top ranks and I'd give it even odds that I'd confuse him with someone else.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You'll probably start out by identifying rikishi by physical features like I did - the small one, the gigantic one, the hairy one, the one with the sideburns, the really pasty one. Then when you start noticing the ones that you like and want to root for, you'll make an effort to learn their names then it snowballs from there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chinook posted:

most of the japanese guys also adopt ring names known as shikona that wouldn't be used by normal people. while the latter is also used in many japanese family names the reason you see a lot of zans and yamas for example is that both mean "mountain" and are written with the kanji 山. certain heya/stables have specific traditions like all of the Koto* guys who are teammates. there are exceptions like enho, endo, and ishiura who all just use their birth name.

and yeah, when i first started following it a couple years ago they almost all just seemed like interchangeable large men (esp as enhou wasn't in makuuchi yet) at first. give it a shot tho and you'll quickly hone in on a couple guys who stick out for various reasons. english commentary does help for understanding style and tactics a bit.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 3, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

most of the japanese guys also adopt ring names known as shikona that wouldn't be used by normal people. while the latter is also used in many japanese family names the reason you see a lot of zans and yamas for example is that both mean "mountain" and are written with the kanji 山. certain heya/stables have specific traditions like all of the Koto* guys who are teammates. there are exceptions like enho, endo, and ishiura who all just use their birth name.

and yeah, when i first started following it a couple years ago they almost all just seemed like interchangeable large men (esp as endou wasn't in makuuchi yet) at first. give it a shot tho and you'll quickly hone in on a couple guys who stick out for various reasons. english commentary does help for understanding style and tactics a bit.

Enho's name is a Shikona, his real family name is name is Nakamura. He was was Enho Yuya (his real first name) for 1 basho, but then changed it to Enho Akira after a childhood friend who passed away.

I linked a Twitter thread about Shikona just a couple pages ago, here it is if you don't wanna scroll:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

So when it says:

code:
Name (8E, 0-1) - Othername (9W, 0-1)
               4-3
What does that all mean?

I'm guessing the E and W represent East (left side of the screen?) and West (right side), but I don't know the purpose of the number before the E or W.

And then the 0-1 / 1-0 is the record those men have in the current tournament?

And then the 4-3 is all of their previous matches ever?

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Chinook posted:

So when it says:

code:
               4-3
What does that all mean?

I'm guessing the E and W represent East (left side of the screen?) and West (right side), but I don't know the purpose of the number before the E or W.

East and West are part of your rank; Maegashira 4E is one rank up from Maegashira 4W. And yes, re: previous matches, current tournaments. I can't remember if this only counts for previous matches in sekitori (makuuchi and juryo, the top two divisions) or not.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Chinook posted:

So when it says:

code:
               4-3
What does that all mean?

The number before the E or W is the rank in that division, which goes:

Jonokuchi (Jk)
Jonidan (Jd)
Sandanme (Sd)
Makushita (Ms)
Juryo (J)

and then the top division called Makuuchi, in which there are several different ranks:
Maegashira (M)
Komusubi (K)
Sekiwake (S)
Ozeki (O)
Yokozuna (Y)

East is considered slightly higher than west, so the guy ranked M1e is just below Komusubi, the guy ranked M17w is at the bottom of Makuuchi (it's not always 17 exactly, but this time it was)

The other numbers I'm having trouble telling where you're pulling them from, is it from Natto's or Kinta's videos or what?

If I had to guess, you're looking at day 2 in which both wrestlers lost their match on day 1, and the 4-3 is their record against each other in previous meetings.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Edit: eek, too slow. Tl;Dr: the above explanations got it right!

The number is their ranked placement. For the top division wrestlers, being maegashira 1 means they're at the tippy top of the rankings, behind only the special ranks of komusubi, sekiwake, ozeki, and yokozuna. Maegashira 17 (or whatever is the lowest in any given tournament) means they're only one step above the second division, juryo, so they better not get a losing record or they'll end up back there in the following tournament.

There's two people at every rank (with the possible exception of the very bottom one, maybe? Not sure if there needs to be two wrestlets at the bottom rank to fulfill the banzuke requirements), with east being one spot higher than west. The special ranks follow this system, too -- if you see a yokozuna 1E and a yokozuna 1W, the east wrestler had a better showing in the previous tournament.

The 0-1 is the current score and the 4-3 is the record of their previous head to head bouts, yeah.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The number is their rank. On the banzuke, you'll notice that guys are paired, so there's two guys at maegashira 1, two at M2 and so on. The East and West distinguishes each pairing. East is the higher ranked one.

Efb!!!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The only other thing when you see Name (8E, 0-1) is that sometimes it will be 2-3-2 or something. The third number in this case is any days missed due to any reason (injury, illness, suspension, whatever). It's still counted as a loss in the tournament standings, so 8-3-4 is functionally the same as 8-7 in terms of where you rank in the next tournament but I think people take it into account when doing career stats and stuff.

You don't see it as often in the tournament videos because usually people don't miss days unless they are incapable of coming back, but in the before times, guys might have missed a day or two with a cold or something and in the last tournament, we saw Kotonowaka come back and try to salvage a win or two at the end that could have saved his spot in the top division.

Skjorte posted:

There's two people at every rank (with the possible exception of the very bottom one, maybe? Not sure if there needs to be two wrestlets at the bottom rank to fulfill the banzuke requirements), with east being one spot higher than west. The special ranks follow this system, too -- if you see a yokozuna 1E and a yokozuna 1W, the east wrestler had a better showing in the previous tournament.

There could be an odd number at each rank. ie if there are 3 Yokozuna or Ozeki, there will be a Y2E but no corresponding Y2W.

There's 42 guys total in Makkuchi and there are theoretically an unlimited number of Yokuzuna and Ozeki (though since wins are 0 sum, it's impossible to sustain too many guys at those ranks and have them all hit the minimums needed to keep then), so every additional Y/O just eliminates the lowest M rank. Also next tournament, we're probably also seeing an extra Sekiwake appear as an 11 win performance from Daieisho at Komsubi should be enough to force a promotion which will eliminate the M17W position.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Weeeeeeeelp:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1290376075252502535

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1290379084795711489

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Some sumo channels on youtube are getting hit with copyright strikes again

Maybe if the sumo association actually gave more of a poo poo about broadcasting sumo to the rest of the world they wouldn't have to be dickheads about it

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Brut posted:

Weeeeeeeelp

:( Tomokaze seemed to have a super promising career ahead; I hope it's not him. Selfishly, I'd like to continue watching him and Abi compete, but their stupidity literally put everyone in sumo at risk, so expulsion really wouldn't be too harsh a punishment IMO. Maybe Abi'll take the bullet for being a bad influence as a higher ranked wrestler or something.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Weeeeeeeelp:

That's some grim news.

Looking further down the divisions the guy who won the Sandanme title, Fukai, was the only wrestler to go 7-0 in that division. It's his second basho and he seems to have leapfrogged Jonokuchi and Jonidan and started at Sandanme 100 which I think means he had a good university career? He went 5-2 in the basho before this one so possibly one to look out for i the future.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

There's 42 guys total in Makkuchi and there are theoretically an unlimited number of Yokuzuna and Ozeki (though since wins are 0 sum, it's impossible to sustain too many guys at those ranks and have them all hit the minimums needed to keep then)

I thought you couldn't lose Yokuzuna? But I guess still you mean they would be forced to retire?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought you couldn't lose Yokuzuna? But I guess still you mean they would be forced to retire?

yeah, if a yokuzuna clearly can't perform up to the standards of the rank 'll be basically forced to retire. this happened to kisenosato last year. same goes if a sufficiently serious scandal occurs like with Harumafuji, Asashōryū,and back in the '80s Futahaguro(if you're a pro wresting fan you may know him better as koji kitao!). i've heard 10 wins referred to as an informal "yokozuna kachikoshi" as the basic line they're expected to stay at.

there's a board called the yokuzuna deliberation council which is a different group of old guys than the nsk elders. they decide the fates of yokuzuna in these siutations in addition to promotions to the rank. instead of ex rikishi its comprised of various prominent writers, lawyers, businessmen, etc....

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Uuuggghhhh this is so stupid.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Welp. Such a sad ending to a promising career.

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1290710871388360704?s=19

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Can someone explain what happened to him? He is still young right?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Foehammer007 posted:

He violated the guidelines for coronavirus by going out for dinner.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Foehammer007 posted:

Him and a couple other guys broke quarantine to go partying in the middle of the tournament and the NSK decided to tell him to gently caress off. The council probably threw the book at him because a popular 3rd division guy died earlier so they were in no mood to be forgiving.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

rare Magic card l00k posted:

He violated the guidelines for coronavirus by going out for dinner.

pseudodragon posted:

Him and a couple other guys broke quarantine to go partying in the middle of the tournament and the NSK decided to tell him to gently caress off. The council probably threw the book at him because a popular 3rd division guy died earlier so they were in no mood to be forgiving.

Oh wow thats wild! Thanks for the quick answers

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also, he didn't just go out to dinner. The place he went out to fall into a category of "night entertainment" that ranges from stuff like Hooters to places where there's some fairly serious sex work. I don't know if it specifically came out where on that spectrum the place he went to was, but given that those sorts of establishments trend towards "lots of physically close interactions" it's basically one of the worst ways he could have broken the rules.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut posted:

I even won a prize one time, got a little blue towel with a cartoon version of Abi on it.

I guess I have a collector's item now. gently caress.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Crazy to throw your career away like that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

are there any punishments in sumo in between "stern warning" and "your career's over"? as a fairly new fan i'm legit unsure. he hosed up and a punishment's warranted but it sucks that it has to be this extreme instead of being suspended for a couple basho or something.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

are there any punishments in sumo in between "stern warning" and "your career's over"? as a fairly new fan i'm legit unsure. he hosed up and a punishment's warranted but it sucks that it has to be this extreme instead of being suspended for a couple basho or something.

Yeah, you can be forced to sit out a Basho, for example.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Well deserved, but also a huge letdown. I found his style of oshi-sumo really fun to watch, whether he managed to make it work or he was made to crash and burn, and having a guy with that kind of personality around was an interesting contrast. But yeah, hard to expect them not to throw the book at him for putting all his co-workers at risk, especially after he should've had his eyes opened to the risks when Shobushi died.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i wonder if he thought he wouldn't be caught?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm gonna miss Abi. He was a one-trick pony but he was pretty drat good at it. When I started watching the sport early last year his goofy face while he palms the poo poo out of the other dude is the reason I consistently remembered his name before everyone else's

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure how many of you subscribe to Kintamayama’s newsletter but there was something interesting today:

Kintamayama posted:

Nine (of 19) Shikihide beya rikishi ran way from the heya today, citing the okamisan's strict behavior. They sent a message notifying the Kyokai, and the Kyokai will call in the sides to hear their story today and try to reach some sort of settlement. They took refuge at a Karaoke place near the heya. "Moral harassment" is what they are claiming. The Oyakata himself has been ill since the beginning of the year and was out of the last basho so he could not oversee the training or give any guidance. Instead, the Okamisan was training them (???) but the rikishi lost their patience and ran away from the heya. The rikishi were complaining that the okamisan joined the heya's chat group and was reading everything and giving lout instructions and when someone was slow to respond he was reprimanded. Using of electrical appliances was allowed only by her. When rikishi ordered stuff online and the stuff arrived or when stuff arrived from their parents, she forced them to take pictures of what they bought and to post them in the group chat. "It's an invasion of privacy!" they cried out. She used to periodically hold surprise checks of the contents of their lockers as well. When anyone attempted to challenge her she threatened to throw them out of the heya or report them to the Kyokai. After the basho was over she demanded the rikishi write her a "letter of reflection." It seems the okamisan was trying in her own way to be in charge, but was not accepted by the rikishi and eventually it led to a mass walkout instead. The rikishi were training in earnest and longing for the Oyakata, but he is still ill, and they could not control her, some say.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Okamisan: "It..it's not like I want to train you! Baka!"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

was trying to remember where i knew that name and didn't realize that's the hattorizakura stable until i looked them up.

quote:

All members of Shikihide stable have to complete their high school education, and Shikihide has also introduced yoga to his wrestlers after they have finished training for the day.[3] The stable is known for its "open door" policy, allowing anyone who can meet the entry requirements to join regardless of ability. It has several relatively small wrestlers such as Omote weighing only 67 kg (148 lb) and Baraki just 167 cm (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in) tall, and 14 of its 18 wrestlers have yet to make it past the bottom two divisions of jonokuchi and jonidan

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Dr.Radical posted:

Not sure how many of you subscribe to Kintamayama’s newsletter but there was something interesting today:

Where does one subscribe to this? Also people running away probably isn't good..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's suboptimal, but it's not unheard-of. Tochinoshin actually ran away from his stable when he was a fairly new wrestler, and he ended up making ozeki!