Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Is there any particular advantage to buying a third party home EV charger like a chargepoint versus just using the charger supplied by the manufacturer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It is truly incredible and just SO GM that they've had an EV out and somehow the Cadillac one is still like 2 years away

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gamesguy posted:

Is there any particular advantage to buying a third party home EV charger like a chargepoint versus just using the charger supplied by the manufacturer?

Depends on manufacturer. Sometimes the ones included only work for 120V (adding ~4 mi/hr) vs an installed level 2 charger which can do like 8-15, if not like 20+ an hour depending on what the car can accept.

That's the main one unless you need the faster charging speed. Since it sounds like you don't drive very far, the included cable should be fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gamesguy posted:

Westy543 posted:

Depends on manufacturer. Sometimes the ones included only work for 120V (adding ~4 mi/hr) vs an installed level 2 charger which can do like 8-15, if not like 20+ an hour depending on what the car can accept.

That's the main one unless you need the faster charging speed. Since it sounds like you don't drive very far, the included cable should be fine.

As an example, my 2013 Volt included charger would do a maximum of 12a@125vac, but would accept up to 15a@240vac.

My 2018 Model 3 LR with the included charger does up to 32a@240vac, but the car tops out at 40a@240vac.

With the Volt, I got a clipper creek L2 charging station. With the Tesla, the stock charger is waaaaay more than adequate.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrYenko posted:

As an example, my 2013 Volt included charger would do a maximum of 12a@125vac, but would accept up to 15a@240vac.

My 2018 Model 3 LR with the included charger does up to 32a@240vac, but the car tops out at 40a@240vac.

With the Volt, I got a clipper creek L2 charging station. With the Tesla, the stock charger is waaaaay more than adequate.
Agrreed, I have a Tesla wall charger for my model 3 P which tops off at 48A output (11.5kw) and is totally overkill for my day to day usage since it can reliably completely charge the car from 0 to 100 overnight if one wanted to. I looked at various other options including chargepoint/clipper creak/etc, but decided on the HPWC for three main reasons:
It needed to work outdoors (driveway, no garage) so it needed a NEMA 3 rating like most proper L2 charging stations have.
I was installing it myself so cost was only in materials and permitting, and a wifi connected L2 charger gets me a $500 rebate from my electric company.
And finally the Tesla HPWC is $500 where the clipper creak/chargepoint/etc chargers with comparable specs started at around $800 and often reached towards $1200 just for the unit.

If I had a proper garage I probably would have just installed a 6-50 or 14-50 electrical outlet and strapped a mobile connector to it semi-permanently.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Elmnt80 posted:

No, Pontiac. :getin:
Bring back Oldsmobile but call it Newdsmobile.

Wait

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Wait

Middleagedsmobile.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Hell Gem
Got the Krakenwagen tinted up yesterday

Love it. I was excited to find out I could have my windshield tinted. Texas law says you can have a clear film on the windshield, but apparently clear is defined as 70% light allowed through. Even having that darkened just 30% is very noticeable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bum the Sad posted:

Even having that darkened just 30% is very noticeable.
Hope you sprang for Ceramic or Crystalline film, since that's where the tint will really help keep you from burning up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FilthyImp posted:

Hope you sprang for Ceramic or Crystalline film, since that's where the tint will really help keep you from burning up.

I love the 3m Crystalline. Got it on everything in my Volt except the front windshield, which I regret leaving alone. Unfortunately the only shop in town that does it is a lying bunch of assholes, I learned as I picked up my car.

If I put the shadow of the A-pillar in the middle of my arm I can immediately feel the difference between the heat from the untinted glass vs the tinted.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah I got the XPEL Prime XR ceramic film. 88% IR blocking or something.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
NJ is ridiculous. You can have any tinting level on the back or rear side windows but nothing on the front or front sides. Most people who tint the front or sides use a super light tint so that it's not super obvious to police who will usually let that level go.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Hell Gem

Yuns posted:

NJ is ridiculous. You can have any tinting level on the back or rear side windows but nothing on the front or front sides. Most people who tint the front or sides use a super light tint so that it's not super obvious to police who will usually let that level go.

Yeah I’m pretty happy with the Texas tint laws, I was a little bummed about the windshield needing to be clear until I found out “clear” is a 70% light allowed tint.

For the back and rear, Texas is the same as Jersey where anything is allowed, then the fronts can be tinted down to 25% allowed (that’s what you see on my car). Then the “clear” film on the windshield.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I’m pretty happy with the Texas tint laws, I was a little bummed about the windshield needing to be clear until I found out “clear” is a 70% light allowed tint.

For the back and rear, Texas is the same as Jersey where anything is allowed, then the fronts can be tinted down to 25% allowed (that’s what you see on my car). Then the “clear” film on the windshield.

I’m pretty sure you’re interpreting that wrong.

quote:

Sunscreening devices can be applied to the windshield if all of the conditions below are met.

- Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield.
- Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
- Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
- Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.
- A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowtint.htm

So while you can have up to 25%, it still has to be above the AS-1 line (or 5” from the top). A truly clearly film can be applied anywhere on the windshield.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

I love the 3m Crystalline. Got it on everything in my Volt except the front windshield, which I regret leaving alone. Unfortunately the only shop in town that does it is a lying bunch of assholes, I learned as I picked up my car.

If I put the shadow of the A-pillar in the middle of my arm I can immediately feel the difference between the heat from the untinted glass vs the tinted.

I had 3M Crystalline put on my Volt, and strongly recommend. The Model 3 has Huper Optik’s equivalent, which is equally impressive.

(When I got the Tesla, I couldn’t find a 3M installer with Crystalline in stock. Not many people spring for the good stuff. There was a new 911 turbo in the tint shop the day I was there getting bargin basement blackout tint because south Florida is a cesspool.)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If your state lets you get your car tinted darker than is legally allowed in other states, does that mean you can't drive to those states without risk of getting hassled?
cops don't need a reason to hassle you

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

RZA Encryption posted:

If your state lets you get your car tinted darker than is legally allowed in other states, does that mean you can't drive to those states without risk of getting hassled?
cops don't need a reason to hassle you
Generally, most states exempt cars that are registered in other states that meet legal tint levels in those states although some police may ticket you anyway. I'm not aware offhand of any state with no exemption though some may exist.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 8, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yuns posted:

Generally, most states exempt cars that are registered in other states that meet legal tint levels in those states although some police may ticket you anyway. I'm not aware offhand of any state with no exemption though some may exist.

Virginia will ticket you if your tint is greater than what state law allows, regardless of where it is registered.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Hell Gem

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m pretty sure you’re interpreting that wrong.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowtint.htm

So while you can have up to 25%, it still has to be above the AS-1 line (or 5” from the top). A truly clearly film can be applied anywhere on the windshield.

You can have a clear film below that, apparently clear means 70% tint or above.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tyro posted:

Virginia will ticket you if your tint is greater than what state law allows, regardless of where it is registered.
As a former VA resident, VA is also the state that will give you reckless driving for driving 20 mph above the limit and that also ticketed a bunch of autocrossers that were doing autocross in a private parking lot so I'm not surprised that they are jerks about tinting too.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yuns posted:

As a former VA resident, VA is also the state that will give you reckless driving for driving 20 mph above the limit and that also ticketed a bunch of autocrossers that were doing autocross in a private parking lot so I'm not surprised that they are jerks about tinting too.

Reckless is 20 over but you damned well be doing at least 85 or 90 on the 95 or else you’ll get ran off the road.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Yuns posted:

Same in CA. Got pulled over for it in my old car.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yuns posted:

Same thing in :norway: ... you have to remove the film or they fine you $600, additionally they can also confiscate your plates until you have the car inspected at the DMV :v:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

McPhearson posted:

Same in CA. Got pulled over for it in my old car.

Norcal? I tint all my cars super dark and have never gotten a ticket for them. Even the one time I was pulled over for speeding the CHP didn't care about my tinted front windows and windshield.

MrYenko posted:

Ah then I don't need one. The charger that came with the car is supposedly a portable charger for occasional use but everything I read online says it's just fine for normal use. It's a 40amp/240.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 9, 2020

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Wait

Voltsmobile :v:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Gamesguy posted:

Norcal? I tint all my cars super dark and have never gotten a ticket for them. Even the one time I was pulled over for speeding the CHP didn't care about my tinted front windows and windshield.

All California. It looks like the rules were relaxed in 2018 to go from no tint allowed to just a little tint: CA vehicle code section 27608 subdivision d section 1 says the front windows can't have any tinting unless the material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent. Section 2 says any aftermarket tint plus factory tint cannot put you at less than 70 percent. Apparently you're also supposed to have in the car at all times a certificate signed by the installers certifying the light level.
I think this is something that is really not enforced unless the cop wants to be a dick. The cop I got straight up did a u-turn in the middle of the road in order to pull me over. I removed the tint and went to the station to get the ticket signed off and the cop at the desk didn't even bother looking at my car before signing. I've always had dark tinted windows in all my cars and that's the only time I've ever been pulled over for it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

zundfolge posted:

Voltsmobile :v:

Boomermobile.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Hey thread, just went to some dealerships and got some numbers that I wanted to shoot this way for some feedback. I live in Vancouver, Canada for reference.

Hyundai dealership, 2020 Ioniq (ultimate trim, MSRP of 45k) on a 5 year lease for about 430$ a month. This is with 8k in incentives/credit and using the Scrap It program for 6k down.

KIA dealership, 2020 Niro (sx touring trim, MSRP of 58k) on a 5 year lease for about 540$ a month. This is with 8k in incentives but only 2k trade in for my car.

I prefer the Ioniq, it fits my needs a lot more and is more within the budget I want to work with. However, the KIA dealership definitely fought more for the sale. The Hyundai guys didn't really look like they cared. I'm going to go to some different Hyundai dealerships to see what else can be offered but in the meantime, I'd love some feedback!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Are those Canada prices?

I really like the ioniq, it’s one of the most efficient Cars out there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what the gently caress are you doing getting a five year lease

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are those Canada prices?

I really like the ioniq, it’s one of the most efficient Cars out there.

Yeah, those are Canadian prices

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the gently caress are you doing getting a five year lease

I have to disclose I have no idea what I'm doing, this is the first time I've ever gone looking for a car.

My train of thought is that I don't necessarily want to keep the car, because I feel electric vehicle tech will drastically improve over something like a 5 year time line. Thus, a 5 year lease.

I have no idea though! Please let me know if this is a idiotic idea and why!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
don't lease a car for longer than 36 or 39

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Do a 3 year, leasing is at best a temporary situation with many pitfalls and an emerging EV is one of the only good cars to do it with.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I leased a volt for 36 months last year to let the market mature before buying, and with how rapidly ev advancements have come in even that time, I wish I had done 24.

If you're doing more than 36 or 39 months, you're in the territory where you should consider buying the car. If you want to give the market some time for vehicles to come out, supply chains to stabilize, etc, I'd recommend doing 36 months.

There is a lot of bullshit on lease agreements. Make sure you are aware of all of them (read the lease, mostly, there's not a whole lot of legalese, and the finance person is usually happy to explain it to you honestly).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Back when I was growing up leases were always seen as a terrible idea unless you could write it off for work reasons, but is that not the case now with how pricey cars have gotten?

I must say there is an appeal to me to be able to just hand the keys over after 3 years and pay about the same I would have making finance payments.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

priznat posted:

Back when I was growing up leases were always seen as a terrible idea unless you could write it off for work reasons, but is that not the case now with how pricey cars have gotten?

I must say there is an appeal to me to be able to just hand the keys over after 3 years and pay about the same I would have making finance payments.

Basically this, with the addition of supporting EVs on the road but not committing to the pain of early adoption and limited features.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

priznat posted:

From a pure financial viewpoint, leases are still terrible.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
What's the experience like buying a Tesla when you live relatively far from the nearest service center?

We made the mistake of test driving a Model Y at a local event recently and now the whole family is in on the purchase. The closest service center is about 2 hours away. Is it a huge pain in the rear end to get anything fixed or does it mostly work out?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

From a pure financial viewpoint, leases are still terrible.

It’s also terrible to buy and sell cars every 3 years. Some folks like new cars. This wouldn’t work for me since I do plenty of road trips, and I’d go way over the allowed mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Recycled Karma posted:

What's the experience like buying a Tesla when you live relatively far from the nearest service center?

We made the mistake of test driving a Model Y at a local event recently and now the whole family is in on the purchase. The closest service center is about 2 hours away. Is it a huge pain in the rear end to get anything fixed or does it mostly work out?

That varies wildly between service centers. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with mine, but a coworker had his car in for service at the same one and they dropped something on the trunklid, starting two plus months of hassle for him as he tried to scam them alternately into replacing his car or foot the bill to have it resprayed a custom color at a third party body shop get them to make it right.

A lot of minor services can handled by Tesla mobile service techs, which is pretty nifty.