Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Glasshouse Mountains, Queensland Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ms Littlefinger and dogs at Medicine Bow Peak

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

^^ ayyy I've been around there, gorgeous scenery. Need to go back at some point and do the peak hike there like you did. Lovely shot!

Rowe glacier.

Some bighorns, first time I've seen them in the wild. Only other time I've seen them is right off the road, causing tourist traffic jams.

Looking out across towards Lake Dunraven.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Rat posted:

^^ ayyy I've been around there, gorgeous scenery. Need to go back at some point and do the peak hike there like you did. Lovely shot!

Rowe glacier.

Some bighorns, first time I've seen them in the wild. Only other time I've seen them is right off the road, causing tourist traffic jams.

Looking out across towards Lake Dunraven.

Nice.
You gotta get out of the park to see bighorns. There's some spots up around Cherokee Park/Red Feather with a herd that seems to stay pretty close to the rocky bits.
If/when you do Medicine Bow Peak, the "hard" route is not that bad. My wife did it with the kid on her back (35# including the pack), and I carried the kid down. Up and back down took us maybe 4 hrs? Also, don't park in the main parking lot, park at Libby Lake and squeeze in an extra 1/4 -1/2 mile. Wildflowers are bonkers up there right now.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

The Rat posted:

Extremely blessed.
What focal length did you shoot at/how close were you able to get?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Anza Borrego posted:

Extremely blessed.
What focal length did you shoot at/how close were you able to get?

That was just at 40mm on my 12-40 lens (on micro 4/3, so I guess 80mm equivalent), and at about 20m. They were more skittish on my way up to the glacier, and coming down that group seemed at least curious and stood around watching me as I slowly went down the slope. I wasn't going straight towards them, more at a 70 degree angle or so.

Then they decided I was too close and ran off.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

My kind of thread. Most of my photos are from hunting trips or vacation with my wife.

Coues Deer Hunting Outside Nogales, AZ
IMG_5045 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_5179 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

RMNP
CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Above Breckenridge, CO

CO/SD Snapshots by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Rocky Mountains, Colorado

WI Squirrel Hunting
Tikka T1X Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr
WI Squirrel Round 2 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Driftless Area, Illinois
Driftless IL by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Driftless IL by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Elk Hunting, Northern Arizona
AZ by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Badlands NP

Chicagoland Forest Preserve Walk
Whitetail Buck by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Wildlife by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The Grove by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Pheasant Hunting, Illinois
Pheasant Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CSU Trial Gardens

Medicine Bow-Routt NF

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Also posted in other threads, a view down the valley whence we came...up that long alluvial fan/scree slope

And then off our ridge into the next valley to the north. Its quite the cliff face on that side!

CMC Valley, unincorporated crown land north of Bow Valley Provincial Park, Alberta

e. fixed a name

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 15, 2020

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Hiked Oyster Dome out by Bellingham, WA. Nice views but I'm glad we got there early, it looked pretty busy on our way out of the parking lot at Samish Overlook.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Devil's Lake in Wisconsin. Nothin super intense, but it felt good to get a long hike in when it's not insanely humid for once.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
That's last year but I just stumbled upon these pics today while doing some sorting and I wanted to share

e: bonus pic

e2: this is Belgian countryside in Hainaut

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 23, 2020

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
New pictures from the Canadian rockies!

Spray lakes from below the Windtower

Pika near Grassi lakes

Helen Lake, Banff NP

zXzC0C0zXz
Dec 18, 2019

leaving Oslo Norway

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oooh, did you happen to make it to Frogner park? My favorite Oslo memory was walking around all of the Vigeland statues late one night when it was foggy out. It was simultaneously one of the creepiest and one of the most beautiful artistic experience I've ever had. I was alone, a long way from home, and just sort of wandering around this silent white fog with creepy piles of people occasionally looming out at me.

zXzC0C0zXz
Dec 18, 2019

Trig Discipline posted:

Oooh, did you happen to make it to Frogner park? My favorite Oslo memory was walking around all of the Vigeland statues late one night when it was foggy out. It was simultaneously one of the creepiest and one of the most beautiful artistic experience I've ever had. I was alone, a long way from home, and just sort of wandering around this silent white fog with creepy piles of people occasionally looming out at me.

No I didn't unfortunately. I will have to dig around and see what other photos I have. I'm trying to convince my wife that we should go back there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
some old (not camping, but definitely outdoors) phone shots from Georgia, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan:

North Ossetia:

The notoriously blue lake outside Almaty (on a very grey day--my condolences to the couple doing their wedding shots):

Stormclouds over Karakol:

Mountain passes outside Karakol:

and from this weekend, actual camera shots trying my hand at astrophotography, with the moon behind lighting up the canyon walls and the distant LA lights lighting up the lower half of the field--a bit too long towards star trails, but serviceable:

a lot of dusk shots (nearly full moon, so I couldn't really do peak night shots) had goddamn Starlink™ bullshit kramering into the lower part off the field, but i got one nice chance green shooting star instead (ironically while trying to get a set of shots for stacking--these are all single-shots that i haven't tried to develop extensively):

daytime was mostly spent cowering away from the sun, napping and reading in a little hoodoo nook that got shade all day, but as much as i was lucky with clear skies on the first evening, i got lucky with some nice cloud cover as the second day closed, allowing me to walk around a bit without instantly melting (i tried at the start of the day before nope-ing out to my shade nook after about 30m of walking under direct sun) and get some nice hazy expanse shots:

and lastly, though the park's brochure wasn't wrong about there being rather limited visible fauna, LIZARD (they used this for the opening desert archaeology shots in Jurassic Park, gotta get at least one dinosaur in):

it camouflage good, but it cannot hide

can't really combine timg and links well, so full album, which i'll hopefully expand/improve past this first pass: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fivre/albums/72157715868376653

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did some biking this weekend

And last

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Hills as seen through horse ears, which is the best way imo.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
[Cross-post from hiking thread]

My partner and I got super sick of being cooped up in my apartment in Toronto this summer, so last month we packed up my car and drove to the Rockies to get a change of scenery. We ended up spending four weeks along the AB and BC border, hiking every other day or so. We capped the trip off with a backpacking trip along the Rockwall in Kootenay NP, which was incredible. If I had to pick a single highlight, though, I would definitely choose the Abbott Ridge trail in Glacier NP (of Canada!). It blew everything else away---Banff, Yoho, Kananaskis country, even the Rockwall. I got a ton of great photos from everywhere, though, and I thought I'd share:

Abbott Ridge, Glacier NP

Rockwall, Kootenay NP

Yoho NP

Kananaskis

Banff NP

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Painted Hills, Central Oregon

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 19, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Oh man, I wish I'd known about this thread and its predecessors years ago. You guys take some awesome photos.

I'm usually the designated photographer on my family's vacations and I usually take a lot on the off chance some of them will turn out well. Here's some of my favorites.

Bryce Canyon NP, May 2015

Zion NP, May 2015

Mt. Rainier NP, July 2016

Canyonlands NP, March 2018

Capitol Reef NP, March 2018

Banff NP, May 2019

Kootenay NP, May 2019

Badlands NP, September 2019

Near Sedona, AZ, November 2019

Great Sand Dunes NP, August 2020

Grand Canyon NP, September 2020

dublish fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 3, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Here's some photos from recent trips for vacation, hunting and fishing.

Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming & Montana

Northwoods, Wisconsin Grouse and Woodcock Hunting, Fishing

Northwoods Grouse by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Kankakee River Fly Fishing

If you've never stopped into the Hunting or Fishing threads come hang out and see what it's all about.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is desert season, so started off yesterday by doing the Domelands in the Coyote Mountain Wilderness, about 90 minutes east of San Diego

People like to shoot out here but never pick up their brass.

Did some slot canyons

Halfway

These domes used to be sand dunes that hardened and the winds have carved away at them over time for make the formations

Looking north toward Salton Sea

The top of the mountains used to be a seabed a long time ago so there's some marine fossils if you look.

This morning drove up to Mt. Laguna for sunrise and left my phone on potato mode. Oops.

These are all looking east toward Salton Sea and Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Wendy Thompson Hut in the Marriot Basin of the Coast Mountains of British Columbia

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did some biking at Helen's

And a week later

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Recently started checking the forum out more. Here is the best picture I will ever take. From a perfect morning at Helen Lake in Glacier National Park in August 2019

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Recently started checking the forum out more. Here is the best picture I will ever take. From a perfect morning at Helen Lake in Glacier National Park in August 2019

Beautiful. My similar photo from tonight in a not quite as exotic locale. First night I can remember that there was no wind and the lake was perfectly still.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some shots from 3 years ago in Arizona/Utah

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

and some film from various bike trips this year

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Bottom Liner posted:

Some shots from 3 years ago in Arizona/Utah

The long horizontal aspect ratio fries perfectly with these. Stunning work. That first shot is my favorite.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thank you. Petrified Forest is an amazing place.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Are those 35mm pano shots or are you using a 6x17 camera of some kind?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The ones with no border are digital crops from a D750 (usually 5-10 shot panos)

The ones with the black borders are from a Ansco Pix Panorama 35mm cheapo camera on Fuji Superia X-TRA 400

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saturday I went up to Granite Mountain via Cool Canyon out on the western edge of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, seeing as it'll probably be my last desert hike for the season since babby is coming very soon.

I knew Santa Ana's were blowing in, but wasn't expecting 50-60mph gusts for the stretch that went ~4,500ft to the peak at 5,650ft

Overall it was a fun hike, as once you get out of the canyon there's no real trail and it's just making your way up the ridges with some scrambling along the way.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq1IF5J.mp4

This was at 4,600ft

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I love Montana

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
here is a picture of a Barred Owl i just barely was able to capture on a point and shoot camera about ten years ago.

i sat in a deer stand overlooking a marsh two nights in a row, from about 5pm-sundown, and of course on that second night it swooped in at a rodent right as i was just about out of sunlight. i also had to completely max out the zoom on the camera, so i was happy to get the picture i did:

near my compound in the great driftless region

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Went to Big Bend last week, it's starting to get quite warm.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife and I went out to Centralia, PA last weekend. It's a coal mining town that was abandoned in the 1960s when they managed to light the coal underground on fire. The coal will continue to burn for the next 150-200 years. A few people chose to stay, and their homes stand in stark contrast to the vacant lots around them. We didn't walk anywhere that explicitly said "No Tresspassing", or looked like it was somebody's property.

I love how you can see a wind farm from near the St. Ignatius Cemetery at the south edge of town.

Centralia used to be famous for it's "Graffiti Highway". It was a section of PA Route 61 that was too difficult to maintain due to the active fire beneath it, so Pennsylvania blocked it off and built a new Route 61 around it. People used to come here and graffiti up the street. Unfortunately, it was covered up by the company that owns the land, ostensibly because too many people were using the Graffiti Highway as a gathering place during the summer of last year.

Anyway, here's another graffiti'd up street, plus the volvo I rented.

Rainwater collects in the mines, and exits through this old ventilation shaft. It's now known as the Big Mine Run Geyser. Depending on how much rain has fallen, the geyser can get as high as 15 feet. It's located in a valley to the south of Centralia, at the end of Big Mine Run Rd.

Now that we're familiar with the area, we're planning another trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's cool. I've always wondered about that place since learning about it as a kid.