Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sister Make posted:

End of thread page

there was that busty girl...but she didn't like how big of a creep I am.

i hope he gets into model trains

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Seeing this right after the "Romance, right?" thing is nice

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sister Make posted:

End of thread page
NEET narrowly avoiding the catfishing arc.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out they all love the same obscure JRPG that has never been put out in the west. They start talking and hyping each other up about how the 9th edition is due soon. Since it's published by the company that hired them it only makes sense that it is what they'll be testing. So awesome!

Only it turns out they'll be testing Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer and the company they work for is Konami.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

i hope he gets into model trains
:zaurg:

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Moreover, therefore!!!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I bet she's into dating sims.

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Watch your language, NEET!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Watch your language, NEET!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The series really peaked at Everybody's Gorilla 4 imo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know the Hot Shots Golf/Tennis series is called Everybody's Golf/Tennis in Japan, maybe it's a joke off of that? Maybe its one of those kanji pun things where Dragon Quest can also be written Everybody's Gorilla? Maybe everyone in the civilized nation Japan shares access to a gorilla for their various gorilla needs and there have been several different gorillas in that role???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

I know the Hot Shots Golf/Tennis series is called Everybody's Golf/Tennis in Japan, maybe it's a joke off of that? Maybe its one of those kanji pun things where Dragon Quest can also be written Everybody's Gorilla? Maybe everyone in the civilized nation Japan shares access to a gorilla for their various gorilla needs and there have been several different gorillas in that role???

please, this is not communist China. in Japan workers are expected to use their company gorilla, it's considered an important part of the bond of loyalty between corporations and workers (as opposed to the exploitative free market gorilla system we're stuck with over here)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

please, this is not communist China. in Japan workers are expected to use their company gorilla, it's considered an important part of the bond of loyalty between corporations and workers (as opposed to the exploitative free market gorilla system we're stuck with over here)

This dates back to the gorilla masters of ancient Japan.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

lol whatever, bitch, name EVERY gorilla

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

projecthalaxy posted:

I know the Hot Shots Golf/Tennis series is called Everybody's Golf/Tennis in Japan, maybe it's a joke off of that?
It totally is.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Making friends already despite being a piece of poo poo, good job Tohru.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grevling posted:

Making friends already despite being a piece of poo poo, good job Tohru.

Let's not count our chickens yet

I do hope they hatch though...

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Is it just me who wants to pop all the zits on the ugly girl's face?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

BigBadSteve posted:

Is it just me who wants to pop all the zits on the ugly girl's face?

I just want to play Everybody's Gorilla 2.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

projecthalaxy posted:

I just want to play Everybody's Gorilla 2.

it's so much better than 5. Tohru is an idiot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Even away from the Crime path, young Tohru truly, truly sucks. This person seems nice and he thinks she's a monster just because she looks weird!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I wonder if the swearing thing is awkward translation of a Japanese impolite speech mode. I once met a Japanese guy who dropped f-bombs every few seconds when talking to English friends until they persuaded him that it wasn’t the “regular chat with the mates” tone he thought it was.

Also the fansub of Kenshin with “this sword is so good it makes me wanna jerk off!”

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

hyphz posted:

I wonder if the swearing thing is awkward translation of a Japanese impolite speech mode. I once met a Japanese guy who dropped f-bombs every few seconds when talking to English friends until they persuaded him that it wasn’t the “regular chat with the mates” tone he thought it was.

Also the fansub of Kenshin with “this sword is so good it makes me wanna jerk off!”

Swearing isn't exactly the same in Japanese - there are curse words, but a lot of translated swearing is aiming to reflect extremely impolite verb conjugations or pronoun forms, which don't really have a direct equivalent in English. Like, "mite" is a request to look, but if you conjugate to "miro" instead it becomes an extremely harsh request to look.

I think this is where some of that "fansubs with bizarre amounts of profanity" comes from, like in the original a character will use an extremely rude conjugation of a verb and the translator will localise that as them putting a swear word next to the verb. Which makes an amount of sense, for sure. It becomes sillier when it's like, a children's anime where a character uses a mildly rude phrase like "urusai da" (lit. "it's unwanted noise") and the translator interprets it as like, "You're pissing me off!" or "Shut the hell up!".

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now see, whenever I see that kind of thing translated literally I always assume that character is supposed to be super polite, because I wouldn't even talk to my ceo that formally

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

It becomes sillier when it's like, a children's anime where a character uses a mildly rude phrase like "urusai da" (lit. "it's unwanted noise") and the translator interprets it as like, "You're pissing me off!" or "Shut the hell up!".

Many shounen protagonists speak using plain language exclusively, like Goku and Luffy, I think to highlight their simple and frank nature. They obviously aren't swearing at everyone they meet, so translating it as profanity is definitely very silly.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

Now see, whenever I see that kind of thing translated literally I always assume that character is supposed to be super polite, because I wouldn't even talk to my ceo that formally

A better literal translation might be like, "it's noisy" or "this noise is annoying me" or even "shut up!", depending on the context. "It's unwanted noise" is a literal translation in the same way as like, "it's noisy" in English could be translated as, "I'm hearing loud sounds that I don't want to hear" where you're explaining the word's connotation as well as its literal meaning.

In a more adult context, "shut the hell up!" could even be the right translation, just like, when it's an episode of a magical girl show for ten year olds and the fansubber has the villain swear at the protagonists, it's funny and almost always roots from a desire to make the source material edgier than it actually is.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Whoops, yeah, I totally forgot to say it's "Everybody's Golf."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody%27s_Golf

Oh the other hand, it generated a lot of posts, so I regret nothing.

RandomFerret posted:

Incidentally, the woman speaks entirely in polite language; while, perhaps unsurprisingly, Touru responds exclusively in plain.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also yeah there are a tonne of fansubs/scanlations out there where Naruto or Goku or whoever are constantly like, "Shut the gently caress up! You're pissing me off!" whenever they use a coarse form of speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

It's really funny, but (at least part of) the explanation is that fan translators are over-interpreting rude or informal variations on words into explicit profanity. Sometimes the especially rude variations really are equivalent to profanity, so it's not like this idea is totally baseless, it's just that some fan translators seem to have learned that fact and then calibrated their meters to "anything that's mildly rude is a character dropping f-bombs constantly and telling people to piss off".

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I hope part time neet doesn’t have the same “Say the quiet part out loud” problem as criminal neet has.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh, and thanks for correcting me on the punctuation stuff the other day, Brother Make! Your wisdom is ample and appreciated.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Brother Make posted:

Incidentally, the woman speaks entirely in polite language; while, perhaps unsurprisingly, Touru responds exclusively in plain.

I presume this means that if she’s his boss, he’s screwing up?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I want more information on these communal gorillas.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xenocides posted:

I want more information on these communal gorillas.

when the role of village idiot fell out of vogue, there was a gap in the social ecosystem that needed to be filled by something

enlightened societies filled this role with the communal gorilla. we in the US, of course, do not live in an enlightened society.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

what is the nature of truth? why does that nice lady like this game so much? why does it enrage our boy?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

I presume this means that if she’s his boss, he’s screwing up?

Or he's making a powermove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

End of Page 10

Android Blues posted:

Oh, and thanks for correcting me on the punctuation stuff the other day, Brother Make! Your wisdom is ample and appreciated.

No problem. I find punctuation (and for Japanese: tone, too) to be way under-taught in language classes. It's a small thing, but it's good to know all the rules. I don't though. :eng99: