Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

well why not posted:

laughing about making a 3D render of an art gallery interior with one of those artworks which look like abstract shapes on sticks until you stand in an exact position and it suddenly looks like a sculpture, except it's "byob"

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

well why not

:stoked:

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Definite sig material

I made a bit of progress on my book drawing thing. I'm not sure why the green book sometimes gets covered up by the cube, but I should be able to shuffle things around until that doesn't happen

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

Definite sig material

I made a bit of progress on my book drawing thing. I'm not sure why the green book sometimes gets covered up by the cube, but I should be able to shuffle things around until that doesn't happen

I really like that

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

vanisher

cross posting this dirt cake thing

RazzleDazzleHour

well why not posted:

laughing about making a 3D render of an art gallery interior with one of those artworks which look like abstract shapes on sticks until you stand in an exact position and it suddenly looks like a sculpture, except it's "byob"

Me and my class' senior art exhibition was going to be March 30th and then got COVID cancelled, so the idea of a 3D rendered art museum has been rattling around in my brain for a while

vanisher posted:

cross posting this dirt cake thing

I think the inside part looks really good, if you just scale the texture on the outside a bit it'll increase the resolution so it matches detail levels of the rest

The other thing you can do is take whatever image you're using for the outer layer of chocolate, convert it to black and white, and then hook that up to the roughness output, so that way the surface itself will have different amounts of shine to it

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 19, 2020

Jenny Agutter

i like this thread. i'm trying to learn blender since i'm stuck in the house. just whipped this up (after following youtube tutorials for several hours)

RazzleDazzleHour

Jenny Agutter posted:

i like this thread. i'm trying to learn blender since i'm stuck in the house. just whipped this up (after following youtube tutorials for several hours)

It's very good!

I'm working on that thing I posted earlier and it's taking forever but I'm finally done with all the modeling and unwrapping so all that's left is the texturing and making decals. Here's a small detail item I spent too much time on considering you'll barely see them

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol this is great

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's very good!

I'm working on that thing I posted earlier and it's taking forever but I'm finally done with all the modeling and unwrapping so all that's left is the texturing and making decals. Here's a small detail item I spent too much time on considering you'll barely see them

oo nice, I esp like the metallic bits

ty nesamdoom!

Jenny Agutter

the classic "donut image"

i wish i knew how to get the icing material to look better. it looked better with some procedural displacement mapping but the sprinkle particles clipped through it

Manifisto

Jenny Agutter posted:

i wish i knew how to get the icing material to look better. it looked better with some procedural displacement mapping but the sprinkle particles clipped through it

that's real nice!

yeah particle systems have a problem with clipping, especially if they're odd shaped

if you really want the sprinkles to lie on the surface, what I would do (it's a little involved) is to convert the particle system to mesh objects and then use a physics simulation to actually sprinkle the jimmies on the surface

which is kind of tweaky

you could always use modifier displacement, that would alleviate some of the clipping issue

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

Jenny Agutter posted:

A very tasty donut! I have yet to make any shape other than a cube so far.

Here's my progress on my project:

This is pretty much how the finished drawing will look. I may add a few more flying books, or try to think of an interesting background. In the meantime, though, let's try out greasepencil's onionskinning to add some animation!

It seems to be working pretty well. My only gripe is that the smart "interpolation" algorithm doesn't seem able to read my mind, meaning that I have to actually draw every frame. I have always loved animation, and I think I may take an animation class online once this flying-book project is done.

Here's something unrelated: a really cool town image. There's just something about NPR (non photo realistic) blender art that really does it for me.
https://twitter.com/luamono/status/1269965234334302208

Manifisto

your project is really cool and the thing you linked is amazing

blaise rascal posted:

There's just something about NPR (non photo realistic) blender art that really does it for me.

this is the thing I find hard to get across to people who are new to blender. it does all sorts of things, it's not just a "3D" program. there are a zillion different styles of art (or visualization or whatever) you can do with it, although finding tutorials to do the specific niche thing you want to do can sometimes be a challenge.

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

working on this thing- animating the clouds moving is going to take an hour

great donut and grease pencil projects!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

vanisher posted:

working on this thing- animating the clouds moving is going to take an hour

great donut and grease pencil projects!

:kiss:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

vanisher

All done and animated!

nut

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

Chewbecca

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

It's art honestly :purfect:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

u done good

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!
Clouds moving vertically is an unusual choice. Was there a reason? Is it supposed to be the other things ascending?

vanisher

roomforthetuna posted:

Clouds moving vertically is an unusual choice. Was there a reason? Is it supposed to be the other things ascending?

Historians continue to debate this

Jenny Agutter

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

hell yes

Jenny Agutter

finished the tutorial...
https://i.imgur.com/r075rKw.mp4

vanisher

Looks great!!

Manifisto

haha

nice lol

Chewbecca

Wanna eat that donut

Also you guys are super talented :shobon: makes me wish I knew how to do anything but eat hot chip and lie

RazzleDazzleHour

Man, LOT of cool stuff here in the last few days!

I'm getting close to finishing my latest project, I've got all the modeling done, I just need to start filling the space with clutter, which will primarily be pieces of paper who photos and writing printed on them and scatter them throughout the room. I did spend the time on getting raytracing working though. I'm rendering this in real-time in Unreal, so you can press play to move through the scene as a game

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm getting close to finishing my latest project, I've got all the modeling done, I just need to start filling the space with clutter, which will primarily be pieces of paper who photos and writing printed on them and scatter them throughout the room. I did spend the time on getting raytracing working though. I'm rendering this in real-time in Unreal, so you can press play to move through the scene as a game

i know this is the blender thread but, tell me more about unreal pls? you can just place lil models around and make a lil world?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wow, can't wait to see what that looks like with papers and stuff! It already looks so good

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

Chef's kiss

That is a very satisfying plate drop. Good work

I, too, have finished my project:
https://i.imgur.com/If5rSWt.mp4

I made this by following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c57qq2nE3B0
It's based on this cool artwork by Julie Dillon: https://www.deviantart.com/juliedillon/art/The-Archivist-564611828

There are ways I could continue to improve it, but I think I'm done with it for now - got other stuff to do, such as a certain byob-themed text adventure game to beat :gritin:

Manifisto

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I really love the texturing on this, it seems very photorealistic

blaise rascal posted:

I, too, have finished my project:
https://i.imgur.com/If5rSWt.mp4

great job, a lot of fun and it looks fantastic

ty nesamdoom!

RazzleDazzleHour

owlhawk911 posted:

i know this is the blender thread but, tell me more about unreal pls? you can just place lil models around and make a lil world?

Honestly, yes. Making a functional "game" is incredibly easy in Unreal, even easier in Unity. I modeled every single one of my objects in the same Blender file so that I can arrange them exactly how I want and to what size I want. Then, I exported the entire scene as an .fbx, then drag that file into Unreal/Unity and it will spit all the objects back out exactly how you had them laid out. Drag in a FPS controller preset and hit play. Game's done, you can freely walk around your environment. I don't know any coding at all and I've managed to make a VR environment where you can pick up and throw objects around a room in both engines.

Unreal is a little more complicated just because of the way applying textures to objects works. Unity has a super-simple drag-and-drop interface out of the gate. Unreal you'll either need to download a material preset online or make a custom shader in the editor, which is very simple once you know exactly what to do but can be intimidating because it's the same sort of flow chart I showed earlier. The biggest benefit to using Unreal for me is access to Quixel, which is a resource library Epic bought out. If you sign a thing promising only to use Quixel resources for Unreal, they'll give you unlimited free downloads of photoscanned objects and TONS of great textures. You need a texture of a grassy forest floor with some twigs in it, you just grab it from the library. I did a portfolio review with someone who said to try to show off more layering work, or like environment layout design. He said it was totally cool to use premade resources for something like that, where you're just showing off how well you're able to compose a scene with various objects, and so I composed two scenes that came out really nicely using exclusively Quixel assets, and it saved me SO much time

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

great job, a lot of fun and it looks fantastic
thanks!

ooh, I'll have to keep this in mind if I make a photorealistic scene

Question for anyone: Do you like to watch tv while you do blender? Sometimes I like to watch twitch in a separate window. What's a good show (perhaps a lightweight anime) I should use for this purpose?

RazzleDazzleHour

blaise rascal posted:

thanks!

ooh, I'll have to keep this in mind if I make a photorealistic scene

Question for anyone: Do you like to watch tv while you do blender? Sometimes I like to watch twitch in a separate window. What's a good show (perhaps a lightweight anime) I should use for this purpose?

My brain is completely broken and I have a twitch stream on at literally all times, sometimes more than one or sometimes one twitch stream and a youtube video. I don't have any positive work habits or anything, I just put on the video equivalent of comfort food, something going on that I know I'll enjoy and won't draw my attention from the work. Like, I have the next five days off of work and have a LOT I wanna get done, so I'm probably gonna leave the entire playlist of Giant Bomb's Persona 4 endurance run going for the entire time including when I sleep, and then listen to "Maybe One Day You'll See Me Again" by Viper at least six times. I have a second monitor that is basically on 24/7 background noise duty.

Anyways here's a cool tutorial I think people here will like a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEgzuMmJtu8

RazzleDazzleHour

Alright I'll eventually do a final pass on this where I mess with all the color grading and post-processing but otherwise all the actual work is done

Manifisto

that is really lovely work razzle!

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My brain is completely broken and I have a twitch stream on at literally all times, sometimes more than one or sometimes one twitch stream and a youtube video. I don't have any positive work habits or anything, I just put on the video equivalent of comfort food, something going on that I know I'll enjoy and won't draw my attention from the work. Like, I have the next five days off of work and have a LOT I wanna get done, so I'm probably gonna leave the entire playlist of Giant Bomb's Persona 4 endurance run going for the entire time including when I sleep, and then listen to "Maybe One Day You'll See Me Again" by Viper at least six times. I have a second monitor that is basically on 24/7 background noise duty.

Well I'd say you have decent work habits, considering you're able to make such cool scenes! If background noise helps you get work done, then maybe there's not a problem with it? Idk. The concept of "screen time" and "motivation" and "distraction" is one I think about a lot. Lately I've been trying to dedicate myself more to using block site, a nifty browser add-on where you can click on "start" and it will start a timer for 25 minutes, and it blocks distracting sites for that duration. I've also REALLY tried to stop myself from looking at screens at night. (I use my iphone's "bedtime" feature for this.) If left to my own devices I will definitely watch twitch all day, haha.

I will say, though, that if you think your brain is "broken," the good news is that it is possible to make a change.

Anyway, this may be counterproductive, but I just started watching Avatar the Last Airbender while doing art. I'll see if it ends up being a positive or negative thing.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

That is really cool! I find it kind of interesting how there are two main ways people seem to make non-photo-realistic art in blender.
Method 1: Start with a 3D model and try to render it in a way that it looks like a 2D drawing
Method 2: Start with a 2D drawing and make it blend in well to a 3D background

This ghibli tree video is an example of method 1. Also, I think Method 1 is how "Into The Spider Verse" was made. But my book render was mostly method 2; only the cubes were 3D. Dedouze seems to use method 2 a lot. Method 1 and method 2 seem like they are approaching the same problem, but from different directions. Not sure which one I think is better for me personally in the long term.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright I'll eventually do a final pass on this where I mess with all the color grading and post-processing but otherwise all the actual work is done

Very cool! I suppose this is some kind of Japanese grocery store. If you don't mind me asking, why are there so many lights on the ceiling?

RazzleDazzleHour

blaise rascal posted:

Very cool! I suppose this is some kind of Japanese grocery store. If you don't mind me asking, why are there so many lights on the ceiling?

It's based on an image of the Tsukiji indoor fish market, and the place is loaded with florescents. I'll actually just totally pull back the curtain and show you the reference image I used for the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's based on an image of the Tsukiji indoor fish market, and the place is loaded with florescents. I'll actually just totally pull back the curtain and show you the reference image I used for the scene

Oh, I see! Very cool.