Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ulmont posted:

Making a 'derivative work' without permission is explicitly copyright infringement. You may have meant a 'fair use'.

Fair use maaaaybe, although iirc my understanding is that there's a point where depending on how differently the derived work is the more valid it is, although I couldn't tell you where exactly I heard it and is only something I vaguely remember, but wikipedia seems to support my vague memory of what I've heard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

quote:

In copyright law, a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major copyrightable elements of an original, previously created first work (the underlying work). The derivative work becomes a second, separate work independent in form from the first. The transformation, modification or adaptation of the work must be substantial and bear its author's personality sufficiently to be original and thus protected by copyright. Translations, cinematic adaptations and musical arrangements are common types of derivative works.

I am not a lawyer of course, Although I know someone who is who perhaps Koromei could get in contact with or a local lawyer who could give him that advice as a client. I think there's enough information out there that suggests as long as he puts significant enough apparent effort into it that they should be fine that it's probably worth while to get confirmation from a lawyer who specializes in the copywrite law where they live.

e to add: Hence my earlier suggestion of say, a youtube channel, putting out a series of videos where you only post translated excerpts of the text, but give verbal summaries with accompanying illustrations, maps, animations, background music, perhaps do the Extra Credits/History thing of creating a narrative out of it and hire an artist to give additional context and you're probably but not definitively (hence, maybe find a lawyer and get their consultation) in the clear.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It depends on how much of the work is reproduced. Strictly speaking, a lot of Lets Plays are in legally murky water. Most of the industry has just chosen to kind of ignore it because they've long since recognized that it actually drives sales for them.

MST3K is a good example of this. They have to pay royalties etc to the owners of the films that they're reproducing in their entirety. That's half the point of doing it with poo poo old movies - not only is making fun of them funnier than if you were to do it with Star Wars, but whoever owns the rights to some forgotten B movie from the 70s isn't going to want as much as Disney (if Disney would even permit it anyways).

On the other hand, if I want to make a review video where I talk about Empire Strikes Back and use footage from it, I can. But there's a line (and it's not super well defined, legally) somewhere between me using clips inter-spaced with my own stuff and just playing the movie in its entirety while I talk over it.

You can see this in action with Red Letter Media's stuff. The Star Wars prequil poo poo is all up on youtube. They use a lot of Disney's IP in making it, but it's fundamentally changed enough, and limited enough in scope, that it falls under fair use. On the other hand they also have commentary tracks for Return of the Jedi up on their bandcamp page. Their comments about the film as they watch it together are their IP that they can do with as they please, but if you want to pair it with a viewing of RotJ you need to have your own copy and fire it up to watch in parallel.

With academic works you find that limit too. There's a difference between quoting a source and reproducing a huge chunk of something wholesale. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone running into problems with quoted sections of prose (you'd have to lift a LOT and then you get into just writing and scholarly problems) but if you want to include maps or images etc. your publisher will make sure they're public domain, and if they're not either tell you to get rid of them or arrange licensing.

Google "annotated books" and you'll actually find a lot of what you're describing, but you'll notice that it's almost all public domain stuff like "The Annotated Huckleberry Finn."

So in the case of a Let's Play as we know it, where you play the game and the entire game's experience is on screen I wouldn't really suggest that, at best you're doing like an audio book at that point and that's not really what I'm suggesting. But more as I elaborate on above, something more akin to an animated documentary of the thing where you convey the information of the text with ones own spin but *not* the entire text word for word/translated verbatim. Basically make it a fun project that's both educational but also entertaining to the viewer who might otherwise have been interested in the topic.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sd.Kfz.10/4 and 10/5

Queue: Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman, M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army, T-54, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, T-44 production, Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades, T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
T-60 tanks in combat
SU-76M modernizations
Shashmurin's career
ISU-152
Soviet post-war tank building plans
T-100Y and SU-14-1

:911:
HMC M7 Priest
GMC M12
GMC M40/M43

:godwin:
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
German tanks for 1946

:france:
AMR 35 ZT
Panhard 178B

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raenir Salazar posted:

Fair use maaaaybe, although iirc my understanding is that there's a point where depending on how differently the derived work is the more valid it is, although I couldn't tell you where exactly I heard it and is only something I vaguely remember, but wikipedia seems to support my vague memory of what I've heard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

You completely ignored the key piece of the US Copyright Code I quoted, which says that only the copyright holder has the right to make a derivative work. Yes, a derivative work can have a separate copyright in the new material; that doesn't mean that anyone other than the copyright holder can make a derivative work.

Raenir Salazar posted:

you're probably but not definitively (hence, maybe find a lawyer and get their consultation) in the clear.

Let me completely disagree with this interpretation.

EDIT: Look at Article 8 (only the author can authorize translation) and Article 12 (only the author can authorize adaptation or alternation) of the Berne Convention if you think the above is too US-centric.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 29, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schadenboner posted:

I think you're right, a teamster is a wagon guy (or a truck guy, or an encase Jimmy Hoffa in concrete guy). Maybe "drover"?

It's a matter of dialect, of course, but "muleskinner" is a correct term.

"Arriero" and "Muleteer" are also right. Wiki

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FWIW, the modern Teamster's Union encompasses far more than truckers and transportation workers. I know of at least one local that is formed by mental health professionals employed by a municipality.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How many mules were we using in the 40s?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

we used quite a few in Italy, IIRC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

we used quite a few in Italy, IIRC.

We used a poo poo ton of them in Burma.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ulmont posted:

You completely ignored the key piece of the US Copyright Code I quoted, which says that only the copyright holder has the right to make a derivative work. Yes, a derivative work can have a separate copyright in the new material; that doesn't mean that anyone other than the copyright holder can make a derivative work.

Let me completely disagree with this interpretation.

EDIT: Look at Article 8 (only the author can authorize translation) and Article 12 (only the author can authorize adaptation or alternation) of the Berne Convention if you think the above is too US-centric.

I mean, my response was casual, in a "Huh really? I had heard of x before, lemme find an example, maybe this is x?" and was separate/unrelated to my suggestion and not really an argument nor my intent to ignore anything.

But anyways if it comes down to fair use/fair dealing, I dunno it seems pretty clear to me?

quote:

Research, private study, etc.
s.29 Fair dealing for the purpose of research, private study, education, parody or satire does not infringe copyright.
Criticism or review
s.29.1 Fair dealing for the purpose of criticism or review does not infringe copyright if the following are mentioned:
(a) the source; and
(b) if given in the source, the name of the
(i) author, in the case of a work,

Under Canadian law, a youtube series on the subject matter sourcing the book my assumption would be this wouldn't violate copyright; since a youtube series could easily be construed as criticism/review; or as education/research?

A good example of this in action would be CGP Grey's Rules for Rulers and Americapox: The Missing Plague and its sequel Zebra vs Horses.

The first video Grey says in the description is straight up an adaption of The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics, with the latter being based on Guns, Germs, and Steel. And these are what I have in mind in terms of how they (Koramei) should approach it.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

We used a poo poo ton of them in Burma.

I think the technical term here is "an rear end-load" :haw:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whose side are you construing as "we"? :v:

Mules and horses were in wide military use throughout all armies, although I think the American army only had some for recon and, though I might be hallucinating, like one cavalry unit. I dimly remember being able to make cavalry infantry units in Panzer General, anyway...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Xerxes17 posted:

I think the technical term here is "an rear end-load" :haw:

Confession time, reading about the struggle of the British and Indian Army forces tabbing up and around the hills of Burma with their mule trains and the mention of the steepness of rough hills and sudden drops leading to quite a few mules going over the edge.

I kept thinking of that mountain goat bit from The Simpsons.

I am a horrible person, I know.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I was listening to a WWII podcast episode about Dunkirk and the narrator said that during the evacuation, soldiers who cracked under the stress of being strafed by the Luftwaffe and ran were shot to prevent panic from spreading.

Sounds like B.S. to me but it made me curious; is that true?

Relatedly, what are some good milhist podcasts y'all can recommend? I already listen to Hardcore History and Revolutions which obviously include a lot of milhist.

Some of my recs:

War Stories: each season focuses on a specific weapon or theme and season one centered on tanks. One of the hosts is a vet and they seem pretty knowledgeable.

The Principles of War: tangentially tied to the Australian military possibly? It's designed for "junior officers and senior NCOs" and discusses, well, the principles of war. The first block of episodes was a very detailed look at the Burma Campaign and how the British failed in so many ways (and conversely, why Japan succeeded). There are also interviews sprinkled in throughout. Probably my favorite pure military podcast I've found.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

Whose side are you construing as "we"? :v:

Mules and horses were in wide military use throughout all armies, although I think the American army only had some for recon and, though I might be hallucinating, like one cavalry unit. I dimly remember being able to make cavalry infantry units in Panzer General, anyway...

The US used a bunch in transport rolls pretty much everywhere that roads were bad enough to make trucks not a good option. Burma being the most prominent example.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disillusionist posted:

I was listening to a WWII podcast episode about Dunkirk and the narrator said that during the evacuation, soldiers who cracked under the stress of being strafed by the Luftwaffe and ran were shot to prevent panic from spreading.

Certainly not as policy. Even the Soviet Union didn't actually do the 40k commissar thing. I could maybe see a one off with a scared and stressed out officer?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I mean Dunkirk was a long drawn out affair with all sorts going on, you sure the guy didn't confuse them with either warning shots or the cases of horses being shot?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Disillusionist posted:

Relatedly, what are some good milhist podcasts y'all can recommend?

The Pirate History podcast is pretty good.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean Dunkirk was a long drawn out affair with all sorts going on, you sure the guy didn't confuse them with either warning shots or the cases of horses being shot?

Could be a garbled story, warped from being passed from secondary source to tertiary source, about friendly fire incidents, assuming it's not outright mythology to begin with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grenrow posted:

Could be a garbled story, warped from being passed from secondary source to tertiary source, about friendly fire incidents, assuming it's not outright mythology to begin with.

"Why is there Yogurt in your tin hat?"

"It was milk once, time makes fools of us all!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grenrow posted:

It also sounds a lot like the equally hard to pin down stories of British officers executing soldiers for cowardice in the trenches during WW1.

One of the things you'll notice is that this usually ends up being about British officers. There's a very real class thing there. The British officer coprs tended to be very much upper class, especially in the early years of both wars, and the infantry tended to be working class. British society has always been fractured along class lines, and this sort of anecdote really plays into the stereotype of the upper classes not giving a poo poo about the ordinary man, to the point of executing them for not doing what they're told.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We Have Ways of Making You Talk is excellent WW2 listening.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also sounds a lot like the equally hard to pin down stories of British officers executing soldiers for cowardice in the trenches during WW1.

Was it Trin who went digging into the sources and came to the conclusion that the sum total of judicial executions in the British army came to like 6 or something? And that was after (drum) trials as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Was it Trin who went digging into the sources and came to the conclusion that the sum total of judicial executions in the British army came to like 6 or something? And that was after (drum) trials as well.

I think it was the guy who wrote all those posts on conscientious objectors, and he found that it was low(er than the French) but also the numbers specifically excluded the Indian army which was a lot higher.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The British Army (and associated other Empire armies, with one very important exception) passed a shade over 3,000 death sentences between 1914 and 1918, and commuted all but just under 350 of them. Of these, about 40 were for murder and would have been hanged by a civilian court (and, interestingly, nearly half the people executed for murder were Chinese coolies in the service of the Chinese Labour Corps), leaving 306 recorded executions for military offences. There are also occasional documented examples of death sentences and executions which can be confirmed by local records (such as five New Zealanders who were sentenced and then reprieved) but who do not appear in the official figures. The vast majority of the military convictions and executions were for the offence of desertion, which quickly became preferred over cowardice in the face of the enemy because it relied far more on someone's actions than their state of mind.

Almost all these sentences were passed by a Field General Court Martial, a system explicitly designed to provide rough and ready justice during active service if necessary and whose results could sometimes be capricious (ref: the ha-ha-only-horrifying "death, I suppose..." incident). There are occasional anecdotes of officers threatening their men with revolvers, or actually carrying out summary executions, but they're almost (but not always) entirely related second and third-hand, "Incubator-Jones said that St-John-Mollusc told him that Smith-Smythe-Smith saw Zinc-Trumpet Harris shoot a man for refusing to go back up the line while shells were flying", that sort of thing. In the same way that we can also see occasional anecdotes of the blokes arranging unfortunate accidents for particularly unpopular officers and by the nature of the incidents we have no way of telling how accurate the stories are and how often they might have happened.

The much larger French army executed about 750 people; the military crimes are heavily biased to 1914 and early 1915, there's a similar proportion of men who would have gone to the guillotine for their offences if committed on le rue de civiliens; and there's an obvious spike in 1917 after the mutinies.

The elephant in the room is the Indian Army, whose records were entirely separate, and which have mysteriously disappeared before anyone could come looking for them. I remember reading an article by Gary Sheffield which touched on this question (and of course I can't find it again) where he basically says "yeah, we have absolutely no idea whether any of these stories are accurate when they're coming from the Indian Army, and we're probably never going to be able to even make an educated guess at how many men the Indian Army might have executed, either formally or informally". I have bumped into the occasional seriously hairy "watch out for Bloggins Minor, he's a real tyro, he shot three sepoys after the last battle for not bringing up his punkah quickly enough" anecdote from personal memoirs, told in terms that don't always match up with the stories from officers who led white men.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Certainly not as policy. Even the Soviet Union didn't actually do the 40k commissar thing. I could maybe see a one off with a scared and stressed out officer?
This is interesting. I do not mean to say the USSR were doing this constantly but I thought there actually was "yeah they have guys in the rear and if you're fleeing they will shoot you -- or at least arrest you." And if they were NKVD or similar I imagine they would have at least occasionally shot them. And I also imagine this policy did not get applied if it was clear you'd just stuck your dick into a Panzer division as a unit, and it was now time to strategically regroup away from the fascists.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

on le rue de civiliens;
LMAO "la rue des civils"

Great info.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Let's Parlez Franglais, Mademoiselle de Armentieres!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There were something like 200 Canadians condemned to death for various causes during the Great War, and of them a little more than two dozen were executed. I do remember hearing old folks grumbling about the harshness of British Army justice as a kid, but that seems to have stemmed more from the brutality of its various field punishments rather than death sentences.

What I didn't hear about growing up was that the Canadians had a terrifying reputation among German troops not for prowess or effectiveness in battle, but for shooting prisoners. Apparently, this reputation was entirely deserved-- in the early part of the war inexperienced Canadian troops and officers had a habit of doing this, on the grounds that it did not make sense to waste perfectly able troops to guard large numbers of enemy combatants behind one's lines in the middle of a battle. According to Tim Cook, the practice only ended when a horrified British Army staff officer observed them doing it and ordered them to stop on the grounds of decency. The Canadians, apparently, were surprised and assumed that everyone else was executing prisoners too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nessus posted:

This is interesting. I do not mean to say the USSR were doing this constantly but I thought there actually was "yeah they have guys in the rear and if you're fleeing they will shoot you -- or at least arrest you." And if they were NKVD or similar I imagine they would have at least occasionally shot them. And I also imagine this policy did not get applied if it was clear you'd just stuck your dick into a Panzer division as a unit, and it was now time to strategically regroup away from the fascists.

Every single participant in the war had guys in the rear whose job it was to, among other things, catch people deserting. The NKVD Internal Troops role behind the lines was not all that different from say, the Feldgendarmerie, or the Military Police, or the Gendarmerie Nationale. You're more likely to get shot by a NKVD or Feldgendarmerie unit than the MPs or Gendarmes if you get caught up away from your unit in a retreat, but the main purpose is still to get you processed and back with your unit able to fight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Disillusionist posted:

I know of a case of the reverse: a British soldier (Private Bill Hersey of the 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment) who had married a French girl during the Phony War disguised her as a soldier so they could evacuate together and threatened a beachmaster (evacuation co-ordinator, I don't remember if he was an officer) who tried to stop them with his rifle. This isn't a second or third-hand story either, he told it to a writer after the war who included it in a book on the evacuation, complete with a scene of Hersey raising is rifle and saying "I said, she's my wife."

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 31, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Every single participant in the war had guys in the rear whose job it was to, among other things, catch people deserting. The NKVD Internal Troops role behind the lines was not all that different from say, the Feldgendarmerie, or the Military Police, or the Gendarmerie Nationale. You're more likely to get shot by a NKVD or Feldgendarmerie unit than the MPs or Gendarmes if you get caught up away from your unit in a retreat, but the main purpose is still to get you processed and back with your unit able to fight.
Yeah, that makes sense, they probably had to deal with a fair number of people who had simply gotten lost or fallen into a ditch and been unable to catch up with their unit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know of a case of the reverse: a British soldier (Private Bill Hersey of the 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment) who had married a French girl during the Phony War disguised her as a soldier so they could evacuate together and threatened a beachmaster (evacuation co-ordinator, I don't remember if he was an officer) who tried to stop them with his rifle. This isn't a second or third-hand story either, he told it to a writer after the war who included it in a book on the evacuation, complete with a scene of Hersey raising is rifle and saying "I said, she's my wife."

Holy poo poo. They're both my hero.

Is there a full write up or a book or something knocking about?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They did have a more trigger happy approach during the Winter War, but it was at the height of Stalins purges and a massive clusterfuck anyways.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

One of the things you'll notice is that this usually ends up being about British officers. There's a very real class thing there. The British officer coprs tended to be very much upper class, especially in the early years of both wars, and the infantry tended to be working class. British society has always been fractured along class lines, and this sort of anecdote really plays into the stereotype of the upper classes not giving a poo poo about the ordinary man, to the point of executing them for not doing what they're told.

IIRC Robert Graves lists one secondary account of summary execution said to happen because a guy panicked during a stealth op, all the rest are the result of military tribunals (this happened depressingly often, according to him).

feedmegin posted:

More than once, I believe. I've read memoirs for a junior lt. and a partisan leader, both shooting people who were defeatist to the point of trying to get others to rout inside the USSR 1942. This was following an order from Stavka saying that "defeatist sentiment must be destroyed on the spot" (going on memory, but I'm sure about 'destroyed'). Not saying it's right or fair in any way, but it seems to have been in the toolbox.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 31, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy poo poo. They're both my hero.

Is there a full write up or a book or something knocking about?

The book was Richard Collier's The Sands of Dunkirk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tias posted:

IIRC Robert Graves lists one secondary account of summary execution said to happen because a guy panicked during a stealth op, all the rest are the result of military tribunals (this happened depressingly often, according to him).

More than once, I believe. I've read memoirs for a junior lt. and a partisan leader, both shooting people who were defeatist to the point of trying to get others to rout inside the USSR 1942. This was following an order from Stavka saying that "defeatist sentiment must be destroyed on the spot" (going on memory, but I'm sure about 'destroyed'). Not saying it's right or fair in any way, but it seems to have been in the toolbox.

Graves' line about the French general giving a speech before the execution about how wonderfully British soldiers die was always amusing to me.

Soviet executions definitely happened and were vaguely a matter of policy under two separate sets of orders, but the numbers killed were very disproportionate to the position it's taken in our collective mind. According to records, blocking detachments under Order 227 killed about a thousand people in the three months they were in place. That's a lot of people, but it's not a lot of people compared to the size of the front and the number of people who were processed - at the same time, 40,000 were put in to penal units, and probably an even greater number were just shuffled back to their units with little fanfare.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Agreed - my sources come from Ivan's War, and it also says a lot of folks were just detained until they could be sent to their unit or a new one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Training a soldier and paying for the ammo to shoot him is expensive.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The sort of unique thing about the NKVD blocking detachments is that they very often would sentence soldiers summarily rather than court martial them. Summary justice so to speak.

And Soviet Penal Battalions were extremely not places you wanted to be. Some also contained (or were entirely) comprised of criminals (that is not political prisoners) from the gulags and kind of mirrored the way many gulags were run, where the violent criminals and gang members were pretty much given free reins to bully and brutalize the other prisoners as the guards looked the other way for whatever side businesses they had going on.

While Penal Battalions were often tasked with some of the most dangerous tasks (clearing minefields under enemy fire or threat of fire, with very much inadequate equipment is a common one), later in the war some of the units were also employed in rear area pacification and were infamous for their brutality. Probably due to point mentioned above, where they weren't just military personnel sentenced to penal labor.

e: Another thing worth keeping in mind is what kind of men the NKVD recruited. They were not after the pleasant type.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is there anything to suggest the Blocking Detachments (sinister musical sting) were anything more than MP units? The aura around the story sort of reeks of cold war red menace.

E: I see randark added some points I didn't see.