Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byers2142 posted:

CPig is lying. Or rather, it's misleading. "You get the ability to immediately explode, killing yourself and everyone at your location" is in line with CPig's humor, the source material, and is funny as hell.

i wouldnt put it past cpig to do that, but the big thing that makes me doubt your theory is that he's incorporated a really simple and unambiguous way to avoid the danger, and from the sound of it he made it REALLY obvious that the item is bad, to anybody who knows the flavor.

the good thing about your theory, is that you have a pretty easy way to, at the very least, prove that you actually believe what you're saying. i would find the tone in your initial effortpost extremely weird if you have 0 influence, so im assuming you definitely have some. im also assuming we'll be told at some point if we receive influence. so all you have to do is send somebody your influence today, or send some to multiple people. and im fairly sure nobody else is confident enough to transfer influence this early, so by tomorrow we'll know if you believed yourself enough to transfer away your influence. and if not, i'll be forced to suspect you're scum

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

CPig runs bastard games, fyi

oh

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

Two, Amni seems to be trying to drag us out of joke phase, but by forcibly casing the joke phase posts. Which is strange in a game where it would make more sense to address the mechanics if you fundamentally want to move us out of joke phase. It looks more like what someone who wants the appearance of moving us along would do than what someone who actually wants to move us along would do, if that makes sense. Or maybe someone who can theory craft in a separate discord channel, so doesn't need to in the thread itself.

I disagree. I see someone dragging us out of jokephase as usually a town move. This is probably a general mafia disagreement though, but I never understood why people think scum would want to end jokephase early.

Also, early casework is going to sound forced because it is forced. React to cases in the context of the game.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Rarity posted:

Gonna lol if this is Tobbs pulling the same scummy intro post SNG pulled in my last game

“It’s TOO PERFORMATIVE,” I shout into the ether.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dick Bastardly posted:

Byers post reads like: "If you want to move a game out of joke phaize, you do it like this; what i am doing now."

Sprinkled a little shade on on amni for good measure and oh yeah, control the narrative around the sarcophagus.

I don't really like it. ##vote byers

To me, the only thing Byers did scummy there is that he didn't vote Amnistar.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Gumball Gumption posted:

The way I read the rules you can choose not to look and just stay home. So yeah, it's kind of a bold claim to declare that it has to be bad and encourage people to not look for it.

I got modkilled in my last cpig game because I didn't read the op. Good luck!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

CPig is lying. Or rather, it's misleading. "You get the ability to immediately explode, killing yourself and everyone at your location" is in line with CPig's humor, the source material, and is funny as hell.

If the argument is that we can't trust the mod and the OP it's just as likely the coffin does something wildly different than the lore.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Mr. Humalong posted:

I am seeing a lot of PERFORMATIVE POSTING today

Ahhh you beat me to it!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

tpink posted:

I will say that I find it very very strange that the game setup explicitly frames finding the sarcophagus as a good thing and a goal to work toward, but that this is apparently 100% contradicted by game lore that more than one person knows already.

In the source game, it's also the goal of the whole game. The vamps all believe exactly what everyone in this game did when they read the OP. The Coffin holds power, it's worth doing anything to obtain even if just to keep it from others. The whole time, it was a lie, a trap set by one character in particular. It's a game that lies to you about what the McGuffin is, just like what CPig set up. The only ending I'd consider good in the game is the one where you give up on pursuit of the Coffin.

It's honestly a great premise, and great and terrible game. So many narrative and emotional highs, so many technical lows.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I feel totally fine about Byer's post and generally think townie of him for it. Scum get no benefit from lurching us out of jokevote so quickly. IF, say, Byers were to be scum with that information, it'd make no sense at all to bring it to our attention. The theory someone had about Byer's tryna get people to avoid searching for the sarcophagus was pretty 4D chess but again, I don't think scum make that attention-grabbing of a post so quick.

So instead here's a post I felt was very self-conscious for so early:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i'm very new to mafia (in particular forums mafia) so I'm not sure it's necessarily scummy in any sort of meta sense but the "yeah my reads are good" as some sort of implied authoritative position interested me

(but I'm not gonna vote a newbie D1)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Gumball Gumption posted:

If the argument is that we can't trust the mod and the OP it's just as likely the coffin does something wildly different than the lore.

##vote Gumball

Happily diving into rules discussion instead of scum hunting.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I just read the op

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

b-minus1 posted:

I just read the op

want to educate me?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

##vote Gumball

getting townvibes from merk thus far

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

tpink posted:

I will say that I find it very very strange that the game setup explicitly frames finding the sarcophagus as a good thing and a goal to work toward, but that this is apparently 100% contradicted by game lore that more than one person knows already.

I’m going to stop posting before catching up, since apparently this is consistent with cpig’s games :toot:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

I feel totally fine about Byer's post and generally think townie of him for it. Scum get no benefit from lurching us out of jokevote so quickly. IF, say, Byers were to be scum with that information, it'd make no sense at all to bring it to our attention. The theory someone had about Byer's tryna get people to avoid searching for the sarcophagus was pretty 4D chess but again, I don't think scum make that attention-grabbing of a post so quick.

Agree

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Steak posted:

i wouldnt put it past cpig to do that, but the big thing that makes me doubt your theory is that he's incorporated a really simple and unambiguous way to avoid the danger, and from the sound of it he made it REALLY obvious that the item is bad, to anybody who knows the flavor.

the good thing about your theory, is that you have a pretty easy way to, at the very least, prove that you actually believe what you're saying. i would find the tone in your initial effortpost extremely weird if you have 0 influence, so im assuming you definitely have some. im also assuming we'll be told at some point if we receive influence. so all you have to do is send somebody your influence today, or send some to multiple people. and im fairly sure nobody else is confident enough to transfer influence this early, so by tomorrow we'll know if you believed yourself enough to transfer away your influence. and if not, i'll be forced to suspect you're scum

Before this post, you've been making jokes. Here, you put in a ton of effort to setup speculate instead of hunting scum.

##vote Steak - better case than Gumball.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Mr. Steak posted:

Now this I like.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

Your whole vibe is just way too serious right now

This feels like a genuine read.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao. the 2 kinds of players, pictured above

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

tpink posted:

Ahhh you beat me to it!

carlos "tpink" mencia

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Sandwolf posted:

I agree with this too, and the people pointing fingers at Byers for moving the game forward are actually much more suss imo.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

tpink posted:

Now this I like.

what.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

tpink posted:

I agree with this too, and the people pointing fingers at Byers for moving the game forward are actually much more suss imo.

Who are these people tpink? Please name names of who you think is scummy based on this point of view.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

what is the simple and unambiguous way to avoid the danger?

how in the world are you coming to the 0 influence deduction and why would you announce it!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
We aren't playing the source game you idiots, were playing mafia

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

Thats an optimistic point of view.

If we are lucky, *some* of us will be playing mafia.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

merk posted:

I disagree. I see someone dragging us out of jokephase as usually a town move. This is probably a general mafia disagreement though, but I never understood why people think scum would want to end jokephase early.

Also, early casework is going to sound forced because it is forced. React to cases in the context of the game.

It's not that they want to move us out of joke phase, it's that they want to be seen moving us out of joke phase. It's about what the intended result is. Amni's cases were forced in a bad way, particularly on Sal, meaning there's less conversation that would develop from them. It leans more towards wanting to be seen instead of wanting to move us, which is what I'm calling out. But it's not strong enought for a vote yet, and the big problem we'll have is that the non-town teams can scumhunt the other teams.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dick Bastardly posted:

jokes on you, I've never played either

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

merk posted:

Before this post, you've been making jokes. Here, you put in a ton of effort to setup speculate instead of hunting scum.

##vote Steak - better case than Gumball.

that is steak hunting scum

he's making insane demands and then saying if they don't acquiesce he will declare them scum and push them for it

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

youre so lucky we can't chain probe you any more

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

merk posted:

##vote Gumball

I find it suspicious when people are insisting the know something on day one of mafia, especially when they're insisting on something that would be contradictory of the OP. I have not dropped any votes because I believe people when they say CPig runs tricky games but I'm still going to question why Byers insists the sarcophagus explodes. Keeping the sarcophagus the same as the video game and having it explode or changing it and having it give real powers both feel like valid tricks.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Byers2142 posted:

It's not that they want to move us out of joke phase, it's that they want to be seen moving us out of joke phase. It's about what the intended result is. Amni's cases were forced in a bad way, particularly on Sal, meaning there's less conversation that would develop from them. It leans more towards wanting to be seen instead of wanting to move us, which is what I'm calling out. But it's not strong enought for a vote yet, and the big problem we'll have is that the non-town teams can scumhunt the other teams.

Respectfully disagree, I saw Amni's posts as sincerely trying to get us out of jokephase and forcedly being based on very little, but that's what you do. Today, I would be more suspicious of people trying to keep us in jokevote/resistant to leaving jokevote themselves.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Respectfully disagree, I saw Amni's posts as sincerely trying to get us out of jokephase and forcedly being based on very little, but that's what you do. Today, I would be more suspicious of people trying to keep us in jokevote/resistant to leaving jokevote themselves.

..mdont you dare be reasonable for the second game in a row Wolfie...

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

youre so lucky we can't chain probe you any more

:mrgw:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

In Asssassin's Creed Origin the sarcophagus makes the precursor alien's voicemail play, so, maybe CPig took inspiration from other video game sarcophagus, and upon victory here, we shall hear the name of God

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

I think your phone hated you there...

Damnit phone...

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

..mdont you dare be reasonable for the second game in a row Wolfie...

so tempted to respond to this with just an emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Amnistar posted:

Who are these people tpink? Please name names of who you think is scummy based on this point of view.

Please read the game. It’s literally like 5 posts up.