Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

With streamers some actually do believe their $$$ are literal nice guy coins that will eventually grant them the chance to try and woo the target of their obsession.

There are dudes who get super upset when it is revealed that their favorite streamers are married or have partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

You'd think someone would've found a way to make this work with paper trading

Doing that is a plot device in the excellent K.W. Jeter book Noir. That's a good read for the BWM thread if you're up for some weird SF.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It can all be securitized. I will aggregate an pool of Findoms and sell tranches based on risk level and overall thirstiness of the subs.

I will sell this derivative as Collateralized Dominatrix Obligations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You'd have to invert the bond rating values.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They are getting their rocks off from the act of sending money.

I think I get a glimpse of the appeal of this when I buy Hearthstone packs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

canyoneer posted:

Collateralized Dominatrix Obligations.

Will they put me in stocks or just bondage?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Individual findom operations being part of a national franchise, with centralized billing and support.

"Thank you for calling. Your call is important to us. Unless you're not into that, in which case we don't care. It's as important or unimportant to us as you want it to be.
Please listen carefully to the menu options, as they have recently changed. If you are an existing paypig, press one."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There is a documentary on HBO Now where they interviewed some guy who made ~$70,000 per year and was spending $30,000 per year to have some girl FinDom him.

To be fair, it was a pretty all-inclusive package. She would text him randomly during the day, email him, and do video chats a couple times per week.

They asked the guy about it and he said, "Yeah, it's caused some financial difficulty sometimes and part of me regrets it, but I'm going to keep doing it."

:shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The sexual gratification comes from it being expensive. FinDom is very real!

Whenever cheesecake streamers or Only Fans comes up in this thread, there's usually a question of "Why do these guys think that sending money to the women will get them laid??" and that's not it. They are getting their rocks off from the act of sending money.

My goal is to get sexual gratification from saving money.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Watch the Vice documentary

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanatosian posted:

There are dudes who get super upset when it is revealed that their favorite streamers are married or have partners.

We just had a big discussion of that in the Dumb Marketing thread I believe.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Imagine a Findom who took a percentage of money she saved clients and did things like punish them with the silent treatment if their debt to income ratio went above a certain percentage, etc.

If there can be a kink as fantastically weird and stupid as Findom in the first place why not this twist on it? i.e. "You don't need a new truck Tom! And where is your 6 month safety net you stupid gently caress?!"

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Residency Evil posted:

well have I got the subforum for you

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ixian posted:

Imagine a Findom who took a percentage of money she saved clients and did things like punish them with the silent treatment if their debt to income ratio went above a certain percentage, etc.

If there can be a kink as fantastically weird and stupid as Findom in the first place why not this twist on it? i.e. "You don't need a new truck Tom! And where is your 6 month safety net you stupid gently caress?!"

FireDom

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

We just had a big discussion of that in the Dumb Marketing thread I believe.

Link to this thread?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I want to kinkshame FinSubs but actually I'm mostly envious of the FinDoms.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder how good findoms are at managing their own finances.

I also wonder how findom relationships unwind. Do they end gracefully? Do they explode like the angry gamers who discover the object of their affection is coupled?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm 90% sure that Financial Domination started as a joke or a grift; like how Scientology was founded because L. Ron Hubbard wanted to prove he could start a new religion.

In both cases, when it took off, they were blown away by the money and power and just decided to ride it as far as it would take them.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

HardDiskD posted:

I want to kinkshame FinSubs but actually I'm mostly envious of the FinDoms.

Likewise. You've gotta respect the grift.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Chin Strap posted:

Link to this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ixian posted:

Sorry your portfolio is way out of balance, no pictures for you.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

I'm out for dead fuckin' presidents to stimulate me 🎵

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

well have I got the subforum for you

I loled irl at this post.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder how good findoms are at managing their own finances.

I also wonder how findom relationships unwind. Do they end gracefully? Do they explode like the angry gamers who discover the object of their affection is coupled?

Findomming is actually a natural pyramid scheme. They send the money they make to a richer sexier domme. The one at the top makes like 8 billion a year, and the three below her can barely afford to eat.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Quotey posted:

Findomming is actually a natural pyramid scheme. They send the money they make to a richer sexier domme. The one at the top makes like 8 billion a year, and the three below her can barely afford to eat.

When top level girls look down, they see only poo poo.

When bottom level girls look up, they see only assholes

And some guy pays to see

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

When top level girls look down, they see only poo poo.

When bottom level girls look up, they see only assholes

And some guy pays to see

:goatsecx:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ixian posted:

I though horny posting was verboten. MODS?!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sundae posted:

The new thread title is really resonating with me due to a very stupid conversation I had with my late-sixties mother last night.

Paraphrased, given it was a phone call: (Mom = M, Sundae = S)

:suicide:

At that point, I gave up and changed the topic.

I mean, it isn't entirely irrational for your mom to expect property values to keep going up until all property is owned by megacorps and everyone lives as serfs in a capitalist hellworld. At least until the inevitable bloody revolution.

ie

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Your mum is right except it will be bought by a property investment corporation and rented to someone who will never own property.

until

Mr. Fix It posted:

time to go long on :thermidor:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

I think the Bogleheads forum serves this community.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

doingitwrong posted:

I think the Bogleheads forum serves this community.

theres a forum and your posting on it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Follow up to the Twitch streamer/Findom chat.

One of the most popular twitch streamers got engaged and it "leaked" out last month.

She lost 2.6 million subscribers, allegedly lost about 1/3 of recurring donations, and allegedly saw her one-time monthly donations drop 50% from July to August.

This is her sole income and she has now released a 15-minute apology video where she apologizes for not talking about her fiance, apologizes for telling one of her donors that she never saw potential for relationships with viewers of her streams, and defended not wearing makeup on stream sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuExff4-ty4

The internet/world is horrifying place.

I don't know what is worse:

- That those 2.6 million people and monthly donors were all thinking they were going to date her.

or

- That most of the 2.6 million people and monthly donors stopped supporting her out of solidarity for those that did.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Follow up to the Twitch streamer/Findom chat.

One of the most popular twitch streamers got engaged and it "leaked" out last month.

She lost 2.6 million subscribers, allegedly lost about 1/3 of recurring donations, and allegedly saw her one-time monthly donations drop 50% from July to August.

This is her sole income and she has now released a 15-minute apology video where she apologizes for not talking about her fiance, apologizes for telling one of her donors that she never saw potential for relationships with viewers of her streams, and defended not wearing makeup on stream sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuExff4-ty4

The internet/world is horrifying place.

I don't know what is worse:

- That those 2.6 million people and monthly donors were all thinking they were going to date her.

or

- That most of the 2.6 million people and monthly donors stopped supporting her out of solidarity for those that did.

Imagine trying to explain this to someone from 1995.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's less that they think they're going to be able to date her as it is enjoying the fantasy of being able to. Her announcing an engagement breaks the fantasy, and these parasocial relationships don't function without the fantasy. It's the same reason why kpop stars aren't allowed to publicly date; you need to maintain the illusion of availability so that the fans can indulge themselves in the pleasing "what if" that will only ever exist in their head.

Of course gaming communities also hate women, so that's a factor here as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's a link to a deranged video with 500k views where someone "exposes" another streamer (different from the one who just got engaged) and an article about how her income/business collapsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XCZJBm4lk

quote:

With rumpled bed sheets filling the frame behind him, a YouTuber unearths a digital trail of photographs, old forum posts, and messages. He is here to tell his audience about a transgression by a Twitch personality who, in his estimation, is taking advantage of her audience. It is a story as old as time: here is a woman, once again using her feminine wiles to trick men, and the men, fools that they are, can’t help but fall for it. Luckily, he is here to expose her deceit.

The video, which accuses Twitch streamer Amouranth of supposedly hiding her marital status to entice hopeful viewers into donating thousands of dollars to her, has been watched nearly 250,000 times, discussed and picked apart on social media, and inspired a bevy of news articles.

Some viewers expect romantic availability from women streamers, or demand to know their relationship status before investing in them. Streamers, in turn, have to make tough decisions about how they present to their audience, and how much they decide to share when both concealing or disclosing their romantic relationship can come with a cost.

Amouranth, a streamer with 39 million views who is known for broadcasting in cosplay attire, denies that she is hiding anything from her audience. “People don’t donate to me because they think it improves their chances with me in some romantic way anymore than do people donate to large male streamers because they fantasize about a romantic engagement with Soda, Lirik or Ninja,” she tells The Verge.

Since the video has been released, Amourath says there’s been some fallout. “I have had seven unsolicited food deliveries (a popular way to harass streamers) and two unidentified people snooping around my residence after dark,” she continues. “I think the video creator should be held accountable for putting me in real physical danger.”

She has also lost nearly 7 million subscribers on her Twitch platform and 17% of her donating monthly subscribers.

The YouTuber who put the first video up disputes that he is directly responsible for any of these violations, but also says that viewers have offered him all sorts of personal information on Amouranth — ranging from addresses to recorded phone conversations with family members — so it’s clear that people are digging into her private life in the aftermath of the video, even if not explicitly directed to do so.

Amourath’s woes are hardly unique within the context of fame. Audience obsession over the romantic lives of celebrities spans across popular media, whether there’s gossip about Drake’s latest fling or forensic investigations of the latest Taylor Swift album for evidence of new flames. Appearing sexually available is particularly important for some music idols abroad, who sometimes have contracts that do not allow them to date anyone for the sake of the fans. The fantasy this relationship ambiguity affords is effective, but it has also built up a type of celebrity fandom that feels entitled to an entertainer.

Recently, Twitch’s biggest broadcaster, Ninja, revealed that he does not play Fortnite with women because he’s afraid that fans will take a small interaction out of context and start rumors about them dating. When big YouTubers break up, they often have to announce it to their audiences just to make sure nobody gets blamed and harassed for ending the relationship. On the more extreme end, live streamers like Ice Poseidon have even let viewers dictate who they’re romantically involved with, turning their personal lives into an interactive game.

With social media, and the illusion of intimacy it can create, that entitlement has only gotten worse. Social media might have created a new class of celebrity, but influencers still have to grapple with an audience that is hungry to learn more about the romantic lives of their favorite creators — typically without any of the support or riches that traditional celebrity begets.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm sorry to tell you, loyal readers and internet minions, that I'm married.

I think you can all still have your parasocial fantasies about Moneyball, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously, though, all that poo poo is so gross it makes me feel like I need a shower.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The fortune cookie DID say I'd find happiness with a new love

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, though, all that poo poo is so gross it makes me feel like I need a shower.

When people ask me why I hate people, I am going to send them a link to this video.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The person who donated $13,000 tried to get it refunded by Twitch because he was "defrauded" by the streamer "Amouranth."

$13,000+ in ONE MONTH.

And multiple people giving more than $10,000 per month.

Amouranth was also the streamer involved in this infamous chatlog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just can't even begin to wrap my head around spending $13k/month on loving anything. The only way I could even begin to spend that much on a single vice is if I just went hog loving wild at the tables in Vegas or something. According to google that's about half a kilo of coke at NYC street wholesale prices, so maybe a really bad drug habit would do it.

Like. . . . . gently caress. According to online calculators that's a 30Y mortgage on a $2.5M loan with 0 down payment (so PMI included) at 5% interest.