Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Going back over Byers now

Byers2142 posted:

I'd like to make three points.

One, we're in joke phase, and most of what we see is just that, joke phase.

Two, Amni seems to be trying to drag us out of joke phase, but by forcibly casing the joke phase posts. Which is strange in a game where it would make more sense to address the mechanics if you fundamentally want to move us out of joke phase. It looks more like what someone who wants the appearance of moving us along would do than what someone who actually wants to move us along would do, if that makes sense. Or maybe someone who can theory craft in a separate discord channel, so doesn't need to in the thread itself.

Three, let's talk about the setup spec whatever who cares.

This is the post that first pinged my gut. The way it is written is so overblown with the 'I will present my thoughts in three steps' setup and the first point just being a lot of words that just mean 'it's jokephase yo'. Then the second post is basically just an attempt to justify his descent into setup spec and away from actual scum hunting. The whole post is just really overwritten to make it look like he's got a lot more to say than he actually has.

Byers2142 posted:

It's like Rarity's gut case on me, it's based on your history in other games and a weak connection to the current target's posting

Those things had nothing to do with my bad feels about him

Byers2142 posted:

In the source game, it's also the goal of the whole game. The vamps all believe exactly what everyone in this game did when they read the OP. The Coffin holds power, it's worth doing anything to obtain even if just to keep it from others. The whole time, it was a lie, a trap set by one character in particular. It's a game that lies to you about what the McGuffin is, just like what CPig set up. The only ending I'd consider good in the game is the one where you give up on pursuit of the Coffin.

It's honestly a great premise, and great and terrible game. So many narrative and emotional highs, so many technical lows.

Then he spends ages going into setup spec about the sarcophogus. This is an easy way for scum to make content because it'll be a natural thought but it's not doing anything to contribute to scum hunting. And on top of that all the theories about the sarcophogus being bad are based on game knowledge when Cpig could have easily changed because he'd know that's what people would expect so the whole thing is just a game of WIFOM with the mod. It's just another form of white noise posting at the end of the day cause it means Byers can post a lot without having to help town.

Byers2142 posted:

Here's what pings me about Steak; he's openly campaigning for me to give him influence. That implies he has a use for it. It's an attempt to bully, particularly here:

"Give me your influence or you're scum."

It's not just setup spec, it's also attempting to leverage an advantage in a way that, especially in his first post about it, is selfish.

##vote Steak

This vote on Steak is pants as well. It's targeting someone for not playing in a conventional way and then claiming that wanting influence is inherently scummy. But that's not true, both teams are going to be after the sarcophogus so it's a null tell and anyone who's spend as much time thinking about game setup as Byers clearly has should know that.

Byers2142 posted:

First, is that the only use or can you use that influence via an ability? Second, if you admit it wasn't just a joke that shows that the underlying desire for influence I read in your posts explicitly exists, because it wasn't originally "give it away," but "give it to me." And in the second post, you tried to leverage an alignment call on me into me giving away influence.

This post is trying to create a link that I don't get from Steak's original posts

Byers2142 posted:

I guarantee there are multiple scum teams. May CPig modkill me if I'm wrong.

I posted about this loads last night so I'm not going back over it but I still think this looks bad

Byers2142 posted:

sos, since you're around and posting, who are your scum picks right now. Full disclosure, I'm asking because I have a vague good feeling about you and yet can only really remember setup talk with you, nothing more substantial about your alignment calls.

(Not a part of this case but lol that setup spec gives Byers good feels)

Byers2142 posted:

So my honest answer to this and why I'm not trying to analyze those voters is I expect half of the scum to have voted Sal, one or maybe two to defend late, and rest to have missed/ignored it. Which means they're all spread out.

This is a real weak reason to ignore looking at the votes on Sal. If you think that there are scum on that vote you should be looking at the votes to see who looks scummiest. It's like he's wanting to avoid doing genuine work so he can keep going with his chosen targets.

Byers2142 posted:

My dishonest answer to this is that Dick and Tommu jumped onto Sal and then kinda left, and that's your scum on the vote. But that would be a lie, as I'd just be using your question to try and promote two of my scum calls.

In fact, instead he does the exact opposite of that!

Byers2142 posted:

So I do want to make a special note here; workload is a problem we all run into, and while I want more from cheese what pings me is "I am not a sparkle vampire I don't think." There's no need for that deflection at the end of I think, cheese knows. The whole post is an excuse to not engage, but it goes past just the workload when cheese brings into doubt their own alignment.

This is an incredibly lengthy jump to justify a potential lurker lynch

Byers2142 posted:

This is the best case on Sal. Not the scumslip or the blow up, but the continued disconnect today.

I've already explained why Sal's actions make sense from a town perspective and it's sketchy that Byers is goig "Sal is definitely frustrated town you guys... but here's a valid reason for why he could be scum!"

I'm still very happy with my vote on Byers and I think a lot of people are overlooking him right now just cause he's writing a lot of words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah I noticed how many posts and how little actual discussion you've did

Sandwolf posted:

While you’re here whanna give us some reads

:ironicat:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

nah i need to do like an hour of work then drive home but I'm planning on at the very least providing something a little later while I have dinner in the oven and before I get caught up playing CK again.

I should say preliminarily that I want to reread the same people I said I did last night:

Sandwolf
Tommunist
Amnistar

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Amnistar posted:

I saw the execution I wanted slipping away

Does anyone else think this phrasing is weird as hell?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

SalTheBard posted:

Not using the word lynch makes my sentances come out wierd.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I'm still very happy with my vote on Byers and I think a lot of people are overlooking him right now just cause he's writing a lot of words.

I am going to reread Byers

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Amnistar is scum because:
  • Trumped up gotcha scum hunting on a scum slip1,2
  • Gets upset when his attempts to look town are called out as scummy3

SalTheBard posted:

Of course there are multiple scum teams, there are like Werewolves, Changlings and loving Mages running around this goddamn city. How is a Vampire supposed to drink blood in peace!?

Amnistar posted:

...the town alignment is not vampires.

##vote Sal

Amnistar posted:

If it weren't clear from Sal's post that they know the flavor of world of darkness then maybe you would have a point, but Sal clearly knows the flavor.

Agreed with all of this.

Amnistar posted:

I got that part Sal, and I think it's a fine joke. I just dislike you placing yourself as a Vampire, I've seen this exact scumslip happen before, especially with people that are busy and don't realize what the vanilla town flavor is...*cough*batman*cough*

Amnistar posted:

I mean your post may not explicitly state you are a vampire but it came across as a "woe is me" from a vampire.
Continues to hammer home this scum slip without thinking about it critically, without analyzing Sal's behavior afterwards, and all the while trumping it up as something great.

-----------------------------

Amnistar posted:

You can catch scum by how they interact at the start of the game.

Amnistar posted:

And unlike mechanics chat, which is alignment neutral, looking for players that are uncomfortable or awkward in the joke phase and identifying them as scum is pro-town.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

Yes, it's super bloodthirsty

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
merk, why do you want me to need a magnifying glass to read your case?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Amnistar posted:

I argued about ending the day early because I saw the lynch I wanted slipping away because people were worried about the deadline.

Amnistar posted:

Not using the word lynch makes my sentences come out weird.

It's not much better with lynch. It's super blood thirsty and almost like you know my alignment so you know that me living through the day could potentially be bad.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

merk, why do you want me to need a magnifying glass to read your case?

Because no one reads your style of post at the top of the page.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

nah i need to do like an hour of work then drive home but I'm planning on at the very least providing something a little later while I have dinner in the oven and before I get caught up playing CK again.

hell hath no fury like a deadline scorned

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

SalTheBard posted:

It's not much better with lynch. It's super blood thirsty and almost like you know my alignment so you know that me living through the day could potentially be bad.

I had a point that I removed from my case that Amnistar seemingly dives into every general mafia discussion that exists. He talks about how setup speculation discussion is alignment neutral, ending the day early is fine, and a couple of other things at the very start of the day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sal, you got me to take a look at Amnistar and I'm kind of laughing at Amnistar jumping on Sal for a joke, then jumping on me for a joke, and then needling me and questioning like it's a real vote. Amnistar backs off once I point out that they're the one who misread the OP, not me and flip back to Sal... for another joke... and then needles and points to Sal's behavior during the needling as evidence for why it's a good vote. Doesn't feel like scum hunting, just trying to find someone who melts down and then melt them down. ##vote Amnistar

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I mean...I think you're scum and want you flipped because of that.

I'm very amused by this pivot to me making my gameplay out to be scummmy. This is how I play, regardless of alignment on D1.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gumball Gumption posted:

Doesn't feel like scum hunting, just trying to find someone who melts down and then melt them down. ##vote Amnistar

I'm going to defend Amnistar here. I would be shocked if that was their scum play style. I have interacted with Amni a bunch and I don't see that being a thing with them.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not feeling Amni as scum (Haven't reread him but that's my current feeling)
Continuing to reread Byers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

Because no one reads your style of post at the top of the page.

Rude :saddowns:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Amnistar posted:

For clarity for the rest of the gake, I do not care for sal to flavor claim. Sal simply needs to scum hunt for me to change my opinion of him.

IMO Sal has fulfilled your pre-qualification standards for opinion transfer, would you not agree?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The truth hurts. I stopped making that style of post long ago because I found no one reads it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sal, you got me to take a look at Amnistar and I'm kind of laughing at Amnistar jumping on Sal for a joke, then jumping on me for a joke, and then needling me and questioning like it's a real vote. Amnistar backs off once I point out that they're the one who misread the OP, not me and flip back to Sal... for another joke... and then needles and points to Sal's behavior during the needling as evidence for why it's a good vote. Doesn't feel like scum hunting, just trying to find someone who melts down and then melt them down. ##vote Amnistar

Still happy with my read of Gumball as scum based on their first post :).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Amnistar posted:

This is how I play, regardless of alignment on D1.

I've had mostly good vibes on you so far but you gotta be able to do better than a self-proclaimed meta defence dude

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

IMO Sal has fulfilled your pre-qualification standards for opinion transfer, would you not agree?

No because the situation has changed. More has happened and Sal has more posts that make me see them as scum by not playing as town.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Amnistar posted:

Still happy with my read of Gumball as scum based on their first post :).

Thank -god- I didn't miss joke phase.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Rarity posted:

I've had mostly good vibes on you so far but you gotta be able to do better than a self-proclaimed meta defence dude

Naw, I'm enjoying watching people flip their votes over basically nothing. It'll be useful for town to see who followed merk to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amnistar posted:

Naw, I'm enjoying watching people flip their votes over basically nothing. It'll be useful for town to see who followed merk to me.

What is my alignment?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

merk posted:

What is my alignment?

Pretty sure you're town.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk that case is awfully lawyerly, but I couldn’t help notice your citations were off..

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

merk that case is awfully lawyerly, but I couldn’t help notice your citations were off..

I removed a point that I didn't think was persuasive. Look, I'm a busy man.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Not loving this Amni push here, I don’t think merk’s case is persuasive. It fails to consider that Amni actually believes Sal is scum, which I think is just sort of the case

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

I removed a point that I didn't think was persuasive. Look, I'm a busy man.

(It was just a citations joke Daddy Merk)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

Not loving this Amni push here, I don’t think merk’s case is persuasive. It fails to consider that Amni actually believes Sal is scum, which I think is just sort of the case

Votecount for Day 1

SalTheBard (5): Amnistar, soscannonballs, Tobbs Gnawed, tpink, Tobbs Gnawed, merk, Rarity, tpink, Retro Futurist, Tobbs Gnawed, Sandwolf, mikeycp, Tommunist, SalTheBard, Rarity, mikeycp, soscannonballs, merk, merk, merk, Gumball Gumption, merk, merk, Dick Bastardly, Dick Bastardly, Sandwolf, Gumball Gumption
Rarity (4): Toalpaz, Toalpaz, DGK2000, tpink, Mr. Steak, b-minus1, ShallNoiseUpon, merk, b-minus1, merk
Byers2142 (3): Rarity, Dick Bastardly, Rarity, Rarity, Hal Incandenza, Dick Bastardly, Dick Bastardly
Mr. Steak (2): Tommunist, Mr. Humalong, SalTheBard, merk, Byers2142, merk, Tommunist, SalTheBard, merk, merk
Amnistar (2): merk, Gumball Gumption
Sandwolf (1): Tobbs Gnawed, Jon Joe, Tobbs Gnawed
Tobbs Gnawed (1): Sandwolf, Sandwolf, Toalpaz
Gumball Gumption (1): Amnistar, merk, merk, Amnistar, b-minus1, merk, merk
Execute No One! (1): Sandwolf
Retro Futurist (0): mikeycp, mikeycp
Toalpaz (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
mikeycp (0): b-minus1, b-minus1
Mr. Humalong (0): Toalpaz, Toalpaz
Tommunist (0): Toalpaz, Toalpaz
Jon Joe (0): Toalpaz, Tobbs Gnawed, Retro Futurist, Toalpaz, Tobbs Gnawed, Retro Futurist
tpink (0): Rarity, Rarity
merk (0): tpink, tpink
Dick Bastardly (0): Jon Joe, Jon Joe

Not Voting (3): cheese sandwich, mikeycp, soscannonballs

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 02nd, 2020 at 11:30 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 7 hours, 54 minutes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This "Amni push" is two votes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
reread Byers. I could very much see him as scum making an effort at hunting an alternative scum team - that Byers was the first to bring it up is notable, to me. I don't have a problem with the logic - in fact, I agree - but I think he wanted everyone to get used to the idea to make it easier for him to scumhunt

Byers2142 posted:

This is the best case on Sal. Not the scumslip or the blow up, but the continued disconnect today.

this post in particular pings me the hardest. I agree full-sale with rarity's read on it,

Rarity posted:

I've already explained why Sal's actions make sense from a town perspective and it's sketchy that Byers is goig "Sal is definitely frustrated town you guys... but here's a valid reason for why he could be scum!"

##vote Byers

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Dammit I'm convinced. Sorry amnistar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

##vote amnistar

very suspicious of sal though not to case anyone all day :thunk:

Sandwolf posted:

No it actually is convincing, I don't see how Amni thought Sal thought that vampires were town alignment or how that logically results in something scum would do while they're slipping.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Amnistar posted:

merk posted:

What is my alignment?

Amnistar posted:

Pretty sure you're town.

So merk, a leader in moving the vote onto you, is town? But people who like his casing of you and follow his lead are scum?

I still hardcore agree with you that Sal is scum, but your recent posts at least smack of callousness and fake reads.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

lol voting “unvote” is a vote for no lunch, interesting

##unvote

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

merk posted:

This "Amni push" is two votes.

I might be more sensitive but I'm seeing a lot of people post your case talk about seeing me as suspicious, even if they haven't moved a vote to me yet.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Toalpaz posted:

##vote amnistar

quote:

HERE ARE SAL'S SCUM READS, A RESPONSE TO JON JOE

Amnistar - #1 with a bullet. Amnistar took an obvious joke post, twisted it around to imply I was saying something I wasn't and that pretty much started the chain. I also wasn't wild about this post from Amnistar either:

Amnistar posted:

This post pings me. Sal made it easy to vote steak before the game started, new joke makes me think sal is self conscious about their appearences. Please note this for later.

I pretty much said before the game that I was going to be voting for Steak D1 (this is a joke related to Awful Survivor that Amnistar, myself and Steak (and Sandwolf as well) played in. Steak was a thorn in Amnistar and I's side for the back half of the game (and directly lead to Amnistar getting voted out) so the fact that Amnistar would tag that post out of all of them to start poo poo is very curious to me.

Gumball Gumption - Wasn't even on my radar until they made this post:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, I just didn't have any energy for big posts. I still don't but if you want reads my 3 most suspicious are: cheese sandwich, Rarity, and SalTheBard.

It was like they looked at votefinder, decided to be suss on the top 2 and then add Cheese sandwich in for good measure. There is also the fact that they asked about the mechanics of my ability when as far as I know (and I only have 1 pm to look at) nobody has mechanics like "You swoop down in bat form and gently caress someone up". It's like they were asking questions as a gotcha. So would vote GG as well.

Soscannoballs is probably #3. They jumped on to vote me quickly after Amnistar's vote and then unvoted when the push stalled out. While latter posts have been "Oh yeah I feel like he's frustrated town" it's not like SOS pioneered that theory and it seems much like their vote and unvote they are jumping on a train where it goes.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toalpaz posted:

##vote amnistar

No it actually is convincing, I don't see how Amni thought Sal thought that vampires were town alignment or how that logically results in something scum would do while they're slipping.

No, actually, that’s not convincing. That’s a subjective standpoint. I *can* see how Amni thought Sal did not know the town alignment, because Sal seemed to really emphasize his own confusion about the issue. If you had the town wincon and someone claimed vampire, that is scummy, even if it’s not ‘ideal’ scumplay.