Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I'm no hockey genius but I don't think you should be paying a third pairing guy 4 million a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Domi for Johnson

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s hilarious because if they just kept their mouth shut about Jack Johnson he would just be another underachieving, overpaid, stay at home defenseman but for some reason they keep bringing him up, making insane statements about him, and shining a big spotlight on this giant weakness. Unless they end up tricking someone into taking him off their hands. Then it’s genius

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Domi for Johnson

dont tempt fate

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Jack Johnson isn't at all a stay-at-home defenseman, his biggest flaw is that he frequently goes out of his way to try to make plays that don't work out. The idea when the Pens signed him was that the one analytic which painted him favorably was moving the play through the neutral zone, which was supposed to work well with the Pens high-risk, high-reward style where they're willing to trade chances because their top talent is great. Unfortunately this worked out pretty poorly against tough competition who could burn him basically every time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean if their intent is to trade him then pumping his tires publicly is fine but

A) most GMs are smart enough to see right through that (maybe I'm giving too much credit here)

B) I think they genuinely mean it and refuse to believe he sucks even though the evidence is overwhelming

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 3, 2020

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm pretty sure every analytics mind, set of eyes doing the eye test, and person in hockey not currently employed by the Pittsburgh Penguins sees through that and thinks Jack Johnson is the worst defenseman in the NHL.

Literally everyone except the Penguins front office has done nothing but poo poo on the dude for the longest time.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Trivia time!

Bill Zito is one of ten current NHL GMs who did not play pro hockey. Who are the other nine?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
start the preseason already bettman you gently caress

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
How many old-school Actual Dumbass GMs are in the league at this point?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Trivia time!

Bill Zito is one of ten current NHL GMs who did not play pro hockey. Who are the other nine?

Chuck Fletcher is definitely one. I don't think LouLam ever played pro either.

E: Poile?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 3, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dubas and formerly Chayka

The stats nerds are too brittle for full contact sports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I dont' think Jeff Gorton has played hockey at all

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jeff Gorton is probably one

Edit: :argh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:getin:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Domi for Johnson

Shut your whore mouth. :frogout:

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean if their intent is to trade him then pumping his tires publicly is fine but

A) most GMs are smart enough to see right through that (maybe I'm giving too much credit here)

B) I think they genuinely mean it and refuse to believe he sucks even though the evidence is overwhelming

JR got somebody to take on Rob Scuderi.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

JR got somebody to take on Rob Scuderi.
And Matt Hunwick
And Jamie Oleksiak

(And Jack Johnson, please)

Kale
May 14, 2010

MononcQc posted:

Bergevin probably realized that Price being well rested meant he was a very good goaltender and moved to replace either of the backups that always let in 5 goals and end up having price play again

Imagine a guy not having to play 70 games a year behind a highly suspect bottom 4 defense performing much better all around.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

People make way too big of a deal over what coaches say about players in interviews. What do you expect them to say? They can think their players are poo poo in private and rip them to each other in the coaches room, but why would you ever expect a coach to do anything but back a player in public?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Zodijackylite posted:

Trivia time!

Other than guys already mentioned, I'll guess Treliving, Dorion, maybe Kekelainen?

Treliving I don't know much about other than he's the Dragon's Den guy's son, so I have no idea about his hockey background

Dorion... dunno other than he doesn't strike me as having played

Jarmo I want to say maybe he played a bit but never was pro, maybe went into scouting early? I feel like I'm wrong about this one. edit: The more I think about this one the more wrong I feel, he must have at least played some pro in Finland I bet

Another guess... Stan Bowman? Obviously around hockey forever but was he ever a player? Hmm...

goldrush fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 3, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Treiliving played pro just not the nhl. Jarmo played in the NHL.

Mccrimmon and Brisebois did not play off the top of my head to go along with Dubas Lou Gorton and Dorion that were already mentioned.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DJExile posted:

Chuck Fletcher is definitely one. I don't think LouLam ever played pro either.

E: Poile?

Chuck Fletcher is correct. He graduated from Harvard in 1990 and worked in sales for Hockey Canada for a year before joining Newport Sports as an agent for a few years, then jumped to management with the Panthers circa 1993.

Lou Lamiorello is also correct. He played hockey in high school, but pursued baseball in college, getting his start as a collegiate baseball manager after he graduated college in 1963. He became head coach of Providence college's hockey team in 1968.

David Poile played three games for the Rochester Americans in 1970-71 season, having played college hockey. He spent the rest of that season in a senior amateur league.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Dubas and formerly Chayka

The stats nerds are too brittle for full contact sports.

Kyle Dubas is correct. He stopped playing at 14 due to concussion. He scouted for the SSM Greyhounds (OHL) in college, became the youngest NHL certified player agent in his early 20s, then became the Greyhound's GM at 26.

Chayka played Junior A hockey until age 20, including tying for second in scoring on the Woodstock Slammers of the MJAHL at age 18

DJExile posted:

I dont' think Jeff Gorton has played hockey at all

Jeff Gorton is correct. He earned a degree in physical education in 1991, joined the Bruins PR department in 1992 while he worked on a masters degree in sports management which he earned in 1993. In 1994 the Bruins promoted him to Director of Scouting Information, where he introduced scouting databases, video, and other fancy modern stuff. He was promoted to AGM in 1999.

goldrush posted:

Other than guys already mentioned, I'll guess Treliving, Dorion, maybe Kekelainen?

Treliving I don't know much about other than he's the Dragon's Den guy's son, so I have no idea about his hockey background

Dorion... dunno other than he doesn't strike me as having played

Jarmo I want to say maybe he played a bit but never was pro, maybe went into scouting early? I feel like I'm wrong about this one. edit: The more I think about this one the more wrong I feel, he must have at least played some pro in Finland I bet

Another guess... Stan Bowman? Obviously around hockey forever but was he ever a player? Hmm...

Jarmo Kekalainen played for the Bruins and Senators, as well as in the Finnish, Swedish, and Swiss leagues.

Brad Treliving never made the NHL but spent five years in the AHL and ECHL, where he played for eight teams, including the Indianapolis Ice, Louisville Icehawks, and three stints with the Columbus Chill.

Pierre Dorion is correct. He started as an amateur scout for the Canadians at age 22 circa 1994. His father worked for NHL central scouting in the 80s, and was head scout for the Leafs up until his death in 1994.

Stan Bowman is correct. He studied finance and computers applications and graduated in 1995, then was hired by the Blackhawks in 2000 to work on finance and computerized player tracking and evaluation. His dad was still the coach of the Red Wings at the time, retiring after their 2002 championship.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Treiliving played pro just not the nhl. Jarmo played in the NHL.

Mccrimmon and Brisebois did not play off the top of my head to go along with Dubas Lou Gorton and Dorion that were already mentioned.

Kelly McCrimmon is correct. He played Junior A then major junior then college hockey, after which he coached Junior A, moved up to coach and later GM his former WHL team, and years later AGM of the Vegas Golden Knights, then finally GM last year.

Julien Brisebois is correct. He is an attorney who started off in private practice, representing NHL and MLB teams in arbitration cases and advising on contract negotiations, before joining the Canadiens as director of legal affairs, later VP of hockey ops and AHL GM, before being hired away by the lightning as AGM, and later GM.

There's only one left - he started his hockey management career the year his father was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a linesman but his father is a household name due to sharing his name with an astronaut. He won a cup as assistant general manager in 1999 and a won the cup in (real giveaway) 2019.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

ThinkTank posted:

At $10.5m until 2026 when he'll be 39, that contract is grade A unmoveable.

When I look at Carey Price's contract I notice that for the next two years he makes basically what Bobby Ryan does, $14 million to Ryan's $13 million, excluding already cashed bonuses. A flinty team looking to reach the cap floor would value the spread between Price's actual cost and the cap hit for the remaining years

But then again, players ask for no movement clauses for a reason.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Being the same age as Price/Ryan/Crosby/Rask/etc is really making me feel old now. Not to mention "old" guys like Letang/Yandle/Neal.

My childhood dreams of being an NHLer are dying :/

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Being the same age as Price/Ryan/Crosby/Rask/etc is really making me feel old now. Not to mention "old" guys like Letang/Yandle/Neal.

how's your beer league goalie skills

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

David Ayers was 42 years old when he beat the Leafs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't think being an Oilers fan could get worse but

https://twitter.com/omar_aok/status/1301204418268999681

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Steve Pomper

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Levitate posted:

Pittsburgh really going all in on defending Jack Johnson for some odd reason

"Ok we'll hire you but first you need to put out a statement about Jack Johnson"

Loyalty above honesty, how very 2020

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1301589135866638338

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

The Blue Jackets knew Zito would be moving on eventually, but this started to take shape in recent weeks when even the NHL was said to be leaning on the Panthers to strongly consider Zito.

Two things:
1) "Old boys network", indeed.
2) How hosed are the Fancy Cats for the NHL to say "No, really, we insist"?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I haven't looked up advanced analytics, but doesn't Jack Johnson hit the trifecta of failing the eye test, failing the advanced stats test, and failing the regular stats test?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I haven't looked up advanced analytics, but doesn't Jack Johnson hit the trifecta of failing the eye test, failing the advanced stats test, and failing the regular stats test?

Maybe they just need to buy Jack some contact lenses?

https://www.patriotledger.com/x1197760266/Lucics-trick-a-real-treat-for-Bruins

quote:

Playing just his second game since he started wearing contact lenses, Lucic scored three goals, including the game-winner with 1:41 left in the game, in a 5-4 victory over the Thrashers on Saturday night.

“The contacts make it look like going from an old TV to a high-definition TV,” he said. “That’s the perspective I have right now.

“All the guys around me said I was squinting too much and they got sick of me squinting. They forced me to get some contacts.”

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't know how to react to that article. Either Lucic is way older than I thought, or the Thrashers existed much more recently than I remember.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 4, 2020

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hockles posted:

I don't know how to react to that article. Either Lucid is way older than I thought, or the Thrashers existed much more recently than I remember.

the 2021-22 season will be the tenth season since they moved to winnipeg

jesus... :corsair:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

yellowcar posted:

the 2021-22 season will be the tenth season since they moved to winnipeg

jesus... :corsair:

Eleventh.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

This thread is a loving disaster.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

KHL uniform update:

https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/1301883967877058562?s=21

:effort:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah Sochi's blatantly copied Sharks uniforms are especially dull because their first uniforms from 2014–16 were kinda cool and different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think this kid's the real deal.

https://twitter.com/NoVa_Caps/status/1301528509794353152