Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm gonna go with the PS5 and the PS5AD being the same price, because I think it would be very funny.

as someone who is fully expecting to pay extra for the disc edition because my internet can't take 100GB+ game downloads this would absolutely make me very happy

edit: it won't happen because along with a lower build cost the digital-only one will mean more profit for Sony because they'll be buying all their games off the Playstation Store so they can afford to price it lower (even to the point of losing money per sale), but it would still make me happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don’t think I’ve ever been less excited for a new console generation.

Someone announce a dedicated handheld again since the Panic Playdate (the one with the crank whose real name I had to search for because I just think of it as The Crank) still hasn’t materialised. How else am I meant to enjoy the kind of gaming experiences only a dedicated crank can provide?

Switch Pro w/ crank when, Nintendo?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

(*what is the next xbox generation actually called?)

Officially I it's called the 'Xbox' hence the 'Series' bit to distinguish the models. No I'm not joking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

They run at 1080p instead of 4k. Basically the hardware is 1/3rd as powerful targeting a resolution 1/4th the size

i don't know if performance scaling is always that straightforward. plus just having higher res s games seems to be a bit of waste of power, in my humble and personal opinion.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Having a good cpu and an ssd will probably be a vast improvement.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

as someone who is fully expecting to pay extra for the disc edition because my internet can't take 100GB+ game downloads this would absolutely make me very happy

edit: it won't happen because along with a lower build cost the digital-only one will mean more profit for Sony because they'll be buying all their games off the Playstation Store so they can afford to price it lower (even to the point of losing money per sale), but it would still make me happy

Just produce more disc-less models and slowly phase out discs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Someone announce a dedicated handheld again since the Panic Playdate (the one with the crank whose real name I had to search for because I just think of it as The Crank) still hasn’t materialised. How else am I meant to enjoy the kind of gaming experiences only a dedicated crank can provide?

Yeah, to be honest I would rather have a new Sony handheld system, one that continues to be able to play PS1 games as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lots of Games People are posting CK3 screenshots or reports on their Twitter... I think this might be a breakout hit?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi. What is eeverryone uup tp tonmight

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

The wildfires on the west coast are really bad, on top of very high winds, it is causing a lot of power outages. My dog is very stressed out, and the air outside is filled with smoke and ash where I live.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

I think everyone's in the same boat. There's just zero meaningful launch titles--Halo was postponed, along with stuff like Deathloop, etc etc. The Spiderman "sorta sequel" I guess? Avengers running at 60fps? Cyberpunk 2077 if it does still come out in November but your PC is trash? It has understandably been a bad year so I'm surprised the consoles themselves didn't get flat out postponed as a "gently caress it, see you in 2021" moment.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I was trying to train my nine week old puppy to walk on lead, but now she's in her crate asleep and I am nursing my poor bitten hands.

I said come in! posted:

The wildfires on the west coast are really bad, on top of very high winds, it is causing a lot of power outages. My dog is very stressed out, and the air outside is filled with smoke and ash where I live.

My greatest sympathies to you, we went through that here in January and it was awful. Feel like it would be even worse now when every chance to breathe fresh air is so vital!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hate this a lot lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

my leg got grazed by shrapnel from a cop's flashbang but I'm in the post-adrenaline-rush calm which always leaves me in a good state of mind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mode 7 posted:

it's because the only one that matters came out three years ago

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I was actually going to post :words: about handheld gaming at the start of the month and then got distracted so no time like the present.

It's been interesting to see the shift in handheld gaming post the Vita/3DS era. I feel like we don't see games designed for a handheld in the same way, and probably never will again. Often, handheld entries in a larger franchise were a cut down or simplified version of their console counterparts, but with technology in handheld devices leaping ahead, you now have something like the Switch which is able to deliver full AAA gaming experiences on the go (albeit with the occasional sacrifice of graphical fidelity or framerate). So why make a separate handheld version when you can just port the full, main game to the Switch and be done with it?

One of the other key points of good handheld game design was suitability for bite sized play experiences where you'd pick it up and put it down easily. Long handheld RPGs with no ability to save at the drop of a hat were always a pain point. Now though you don't need bite sized play experiences when you can just put the system to sleep at any time and pick it back up right where you left off. Arguably as well, the market for those sorts of bite sized play experiences has shifted to mobile. Why carry a separate device to knock out a few rounds of a score attack game when you can just do it off the phone you already carry with you?

This might be the area that I feel like handheld specific gaming design still can deliver great experiences, even if the rise of mobile gaming means there's competition in the area. Against mobile gaming is the fact that reasonably priced games tend to go out onto the app stores to die among the deluge of predatory F2P trash. Phones also are not dedicated gaming hardware and inherently have limitations mostly around viable control systems. I don't know if these sorts of experiences could sustain a handheld system on their own anymore though given that consumers are now likely to expect far more capability from their gaming device, which is why the Switch's hybrid approach makes so much sense.

All this leads me to say I wouldn't be surprised it we never saw a dedicated handheld-only line like the Game Boy series/DS series/PSP/Vita ever again. I don't know if, outside of my nostalgia for classic handheld gaming, that's even a bad thing.
I think you'd see some of this reverse if Nintendo's next console was a dedicated TV console and they spun off a new handheld, but I feel like everyone's first question is "why the gently caress isn't this a hybrid like the Switch?" and they'd be right to ask it. Nintendo gonna Nintendo though, so I guess we'll have to see what the future brings there; I'm not super excited for the rumored 'Switch Pro' but I'm very curious to see the proper successor to the Switch. Sony's probably still feeling pretty burned over the Vita, and Microsoft's approach to portability is streaming your games to an Android phone which.....eh, alright, I guess. I don't see either of them stepping forward to do a new handheld device.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

I'd like to play a lot of my current collection of games but with solid framerates and significantly reduced load times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Keep safe. Is there anything you can do to keep yourself and your dog at least a little safe from the smoke and ash?

TA Metis posted:

I was trying to train my nine week old puppy to walk on lead, but now she's in her crate asleep and I am nursing my poor bitten hands.

I can't think of a proper way to turn this into a joke about lead poisoning, so instead I will just say "good luck with the training" because I imagine it could vary wildly in difficulty based on what kind of puppy she is.

cheetah7071 posted:

my leg got grazed by shrapnel from a cop's flashbang but I'm in the post-adrenaline-rush calm which always leaves me in a good state of mind

Yikes. Protesting or something else? I assume from protesting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Yikes. Protesting or something else? I assume from protesting.

yup

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

i played sea of thieves for like 9 hourss and my eyes are very tired

but made lots of gold and fought sharks and skeletons and my good friend joined me and we had a grand time

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I forgot about this and now I feel bad complaining about puppy bites lol. Doing ok still?

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't think of a proper way to turn this into a joke about lead poisoning, so instead I will just say "good luck with the training" because I imagine it could vary wildly in difficulty based on what kind of puppy she is.

Thank you! She is destined to be a service dog so the training is a little more intense than just a pet. Hopefully I can get her to stop biting me bc that really keeps me from being effective.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TA Metis posted:

I forgot about this and now I feel bad complaining about puppy bites lol. Doing ok still?

yeah honestly I'm overblowing it to make it sound like I have a cool war wound

the cut on my knee from being knocked on my rear end is bigger than the shrapnel wound

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Mode 7 posted:

Same - at least for my interests all this new hardware doesn't promise anything new or exciting. Current gen didn't either really but I wasn't thinking about that as much at that time. Spending time really hacking into my backlog has been a great time and also really soured me about caring about these new machines.

Bloodborne 2 might tempt me but I'm not sure current From is going to design a game i would like

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

FirstAidKite posted:

Played some crusader kings 3 and wasteland 3, did some apartment cleaning, been watching the temp drop 50+ degrees since this afternoon

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah honestly I'm overblowing it to make it sound like I have a cool war wound

the cut on my knee from being knocked on my rear end is bigger than the shrapnel wound

haha nice, i support it

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Parasite Eve 2 has some really great-looking pre-rendered background but I forgot about the Coke product placement

That reminds me of the FF9 Coke ad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1303230071033880576?s=20

"next gen performance"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For xbox, 1080p in the base model is next gen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

just to be clear, those weren't scare quotes, i was just highlighting their language

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dammit I thought that was a setup for the joke and now you are pulling the football away!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is ok. The xbox is the joke.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i still got a 1080p tv. of course, doesn't mean downscaled higher resolutions wouldn't be appreciable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

i played sea of thieves for like 9 hourss and my eyes are very tired

but made lots of gold and fought sharks and skeletons and my good friend joined me and we had a grand time

Is sea of thieves the rare game or is it the ubisoft game?

TA Metis posted:

Thank you! She is destined to be a service dog so the training is a little more intense than just a pet. Hopefully I can get her to stop biting me bc that really keeps me from being effective.

What kind of service dog is she being trained to be? I assume the training is different depending on what kind of service dog they'll be.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Played some crusader kings 3 and wasteland 3, did some apartment cleaning, been watching the temp drop 50+ degrees since this afternoon

Hopefully you're enjoying both of those games. I need to do some apartment tidying at some point, I've been meaning to build a cat fort out of some cardboard boxes we have but I need to make some space first for where the box fort is going to be. Also, thank goodness for the temperature drop, the heat sucks. Cold temps forever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Is sea of thieves the rare game or is it the ubisoft game?.

The Ubisoft game doesn't exist.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Parasite Eve 2 is the latest game that is forcing me to confront my continual issue of thinking games are longer than they are. I'm like four hours in and I'm about to finish Disk 1 of 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know Im a vanishingly small part of the population but the realization the Mario 35th anniversary is a limited time bundle has taken me from planning to buy it to skipping it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

I know Im a vanishingly small part of the population but the realization the Mario 35th anniversary is a limited time bundle has taken me from planning to buy it to skipping it.

It sounds like there won't exactly be a short supply of the bundle.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't see why the PS5 has to match the Xbox's price, it's not like they won't sell out either way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It sounds like there won't exactly be a short supply of the bundle.

I mean, its releasing digitally. Its not the amount, its just it being pointlessly limited time my brain goes "eh just miss out". I got reverse FOMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

What kind of service dog is she being trained to be? I assume the training is different depending on what kind of service dog they'll be.

Seeing eye! I'm not really sure if it differs much, probably more when they go into formal training, but as a volunteer puppy raiser it's mostly about getting them used to public spaces and routines.