Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's such an arbitrary distinction though. It lists the Oilers the 26th ranked organization despite having arguably the two best forwards on earth neither of which is yet to hit age 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

So the Canucks have Petterson and Hughes as prospects?

Yeah, the Sabres have Dahlin, the Canes have Svech, etc.

And strictly speaking, he’s been calling it a young players ranking rather than prospects ranking. So he’s not only added in young NHL stars, but he’s also taken out older guys who haven’t cracked the league yet.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

So the Canucks have Petterson and Hughes as prospects?

Yes.

ThinkTank posted:

It's such an arbitrary distinction though. It lists the Oilers the 26th ranked organization despite having arguably the two best forwards on earth neither of which is yet to hit age 25.

Everything is arbitrary. Why is 25 NHL games the distinction of no longer being a prospect?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
He's got Detroit at 18th which I find to be very generous.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Everything is arbitrary. Why is 25 NHL games the distinction of no longer being a prospect?

Rankings are designed to create clicks by stirring up controversy so I get it but what is he ranking here? Team's young cores or prospects that have yet to make a tangible impact at the NHL level? Because it's neither right now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Rankings are designed to create clicks by stirring up controversy so I get it but what is he ranking here? Team's young cores or prospects that have yet to make a tangible impact at the NHL level? Because it's neither right now.

He is ranking players 22-and-under by September 15th by team.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I find it funny that for something as subjective as rankings, he has a strict definition of what a prospect is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're all bring ridiculous.

It's a well known fact you can't judge a player's potential until their 350th NHL game.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
There will inevitably be more controversy when the Rangers are ranked #1 with their top prospect being a guy they haven't drafted yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That is a ludicrous definition of a prospect. Just say it's a top U22 list.

Pronman's list sucks anyways. Has he ever done the work to show if it's any better than consensus or public rankings?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

No, but it wouldn't be hard to check it out. He's continually going back and evaluating his evaluations. He is pretty vocal in what he's gotten wrong, and how he can learn from that in evaluating players later.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Strict U22 is defensible if what you're trying to get out of a prospect/futures ranking is team improvement, since even elite and established young players may be plausibly expected to improve.

Twin Cinema posted:

No, but it wouldn't be hard to check it out. He's continually going back and evaluating his evaluations. He is pretty vocal in what he's gotten wrong, and how he can learn from that in evaluating players later.

Giving reasons/descriptions is the most important part. Listening to Craig Button spend half an hour describing MacKinnon, Drouin, and Jones pre-draft is when I realized that he really knew what he was talking about. (He just hosed it up when it came time to actually rank them and he fell back on "can't teach size.")

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

There will inevitably be more controversy when the Rangers are ranked #1 with their top prospect being a guy they haven't drafted yet.

Didn’t they get ranked #1 by someone a year ago before they even got that pick?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Strict U22 is defensible if what you're trying to get out of a prospect/futures ranking is team improvement, since even elite and established young players may be plausibly expected to improve.

But that's not what anyone reasonably interprets "prospective" as meaning, and it excludes older defensemen and goalies in particular.

In other news, the Canes dropped their AHL affiliate in Charlotte and swapped to the Chicago Wolves for some reason even though they're famously not accommodating to young prospects.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

eXXon posted:

In other news, the Canes dropped their AHL affiliate in Charlotte and swapped to the Chicago Wolves for some reason even though they're famously not accommodating to young prospects.
This seems utterly insane. Are the Checkers leaving or something?

edit: Charlotte != Raleigh. Still crazy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

I'd say asking a first for Matt Murray is ridiculous given his current play and medical history but gently caress it, it's the Oilers, you may as well try.

Cups baby

now give us a first

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

eXXon posted:

But that's not what anyone reasonably interprets "prospective" as meaning, and it excludes older defensemen and goalies in particular.

Thus the move from ranking organizations by prospective players to ranking organizations by young players.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

eXXon posted:

Well, this is bad and stupid.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1304206343008649217

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Using September 15th for a season that is starting like 2 months late is dumb.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

That is a ludicrous definition of a prospect. Just say it's a top U22 list.

He is calling it that. The only people calling it a prospects list are people that don’t actually read he article and just look at the numbers next to their favourite team and complain.

“The first words of his intro” posted:

Welcome to The Athletic’s look at the top young players in hockey and our 2020 ranking of the NHL organizations’ young talent.

The word “prospect” is used once at the very end of the piece saying it was too drat hard to come up with a non-arbitrary definition of prospect that didn’t have weird inclusions/exclusions anyways.

Aphrodite posted:

Using September 15th for a season that is starting like 2 months late is dumb.

It’s the draft cutoff so at least you are using guys with the same level of experience and it makes the most sense as a date to use going forward assuming the NHL doesn’t mess with eligibility rules.

Edit: and it’s probably easier for hockey purposes than actual birthday since you can just look at draft class and say anyone in the 2016 draft and onwards is on the list. Especially for draft guys who probably have draft years memorized.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 11, 2020

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hell yeah :tastykake:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

About time :tastykake:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/mighty-ducks-shaun-weiss-sober-transformation-new-teeth.amp

Never fly alone Shaun!
:unsmith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/ThePHWA/status/1304215345213906947

Draisaitl, Marner, Backstrom, Landeskog, Glendening.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Homer opinion: Phil Danault doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good God he looks decades younger

Don't do meth, folks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Homer opinion: Phil Danault doesn't get the credit he deserves.

He’s pretty good but doesn’t have the points to win it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:lol: at JT Miller getting a 2nd place Selke vote and nothing else. The homerist of votes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Matt Murray is the only rookie to win TWO Stanley Cups and if that isn't the kind of winning attitude you want in Edmonton then I don't know what to tell you give up that first rounder dammit

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Draisaitl with a fifth place vote is hilarious. :laugh:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Matty is never wrong buzz

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Maybe the price being too high is matt murray + jack johnson for a conditional 7th

Haha just kidding the penguins love jmfj

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Quit helping the pens/caps/blackhawks you jackholes

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Speaking of Jack Johnson, I picked up my 2006 Future Watch Hockey News issue, and I forgot how big of a prospect Jack Johnson was. In the blurb about him, it says his style has been compared to Ed Jovanovski and Scott Stevens.

The issue also has a 5- and 10-year rewind, and they ranked Klesla has the top prospect in 2001.

Top-10 from 2001 is the most pathetic group of prospects I have seen: Klesla, Heatley, Jani Rita, Mika Noronen, Ari Ahonen, Jamie Lundmark, Maxime Ouellet, Vaclav Nedorost, Pavel Brendl, and Milan Kraft.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Wonderllama posted:

Quit helping the pens/caps/blackhawks you jackholes

Uh, when have the Caps ever gotten Pens/Blackhawks level lopsided trade/salary dump?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/antonj85/status/1304454101279879171

Very Excited for Bobby Broberg

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Chad Sexington posted:

Uh, when have the Caps ever gotten Pens/Blackhawks level lopsided trade/salary dump?

Trading Orpik, having him bought or, then resigned cheap.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

They always manage to get a bevvy of picks for every one one of their forgettable middle six guys on a $4m contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Zodijackylite posted:

Trading Orpik, having him bought or, then resigned cheap.

Yeah, I was specifically referencing this.