Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm kinda thinking now that the Liberty/Stormfront hints are a obvious fakeout and the real reveal is going to be that Soldier Boy is her father. A Liberty/Soldier Boy hookup flashback would have a real "America seduced by fascism" subtext that feels in-line with both what Ennis would write and the direction the showrunners are going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Merrill Grinch posted:

I'm kinda thinking now that the Liberty/Stormfront hints are a obvious fakeout and the real reveal is going to be that Soldier Boy is her father. A Liberty/Soldier Boy hookup flashback would have a real "America seduced by fascism" subtext that feels in-line with both what Ennis would write and the direction the showrunners are going in.

Unless they really change the comic, soldier boy is like the third or fourth soldier boy since the original got killed almost instantly because singing and dancing for war bonds doesn't actually make you a good soldier.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Yes, and we know they have casted a young actor (Dean from Supernatural I think?) to play Soldier Boy so either:
A) there's going to be a flashback and Aya Cash will play Liberty or
B) Soldier Boy is also going to be a young man in his 70s in modern times.
It's very possible that Herr Vought's original formula SupesTM are all super long lived.

I wouldn't exactly call Jensen Ackles a young actor, he's in his early 40s. Also he's not appearing until Season 3. However, comics spoiler:

In the comics, Ennis took a cynical riff on the Marvel trajectory for Captain America where it was retconned that Steve Rogers was MIA at the end of World War 2 and a different man wore the mantle in the 1950s. The original Soldier Boy was killed in his first operation and to cover it up Vought kept making new ones. So it's very likely that Ackles will be playing the current holder of the title and pretending to be a war veteran.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, when Annie and Hughie were saying goodbye on the crowded streets, I was just waiting for the camera to pan out and see someone watching them, or for them to get attacked. They were being pretty careless right then, and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ugh, me too, I keep expecting Homelander to just goomba stomp right down onto Hughie in the middle of a sentence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, when Annie and Hughie were saying goodbye on the crowded streets, I was just waiting for the camera to pan out and see someone watching them, or for them to get attacked. They were being pretty careless right then, and I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm also watching The Americans right now and so that's where my fictional-OPSEC-standard-level is set at and their lack of countersurveillance was giving me hives. Seems like it would be trivial for Vought to find Hughie and Annie calling each other and leaving really long voicemails for each other. (I don't really care because this show isn't about espionage but going from one to the other gives mne whiplash)

Also wanted to shout out Laz Alonso and Erin Moriarty for their consistently great performances. Antony Starr deservedly gets most of the attention, but Starlight is a character that would be easy to gently caress up but the writers dos a good job of making her the moral center without being goody-too-shoes and Moriarty really delivers a grounded, believable, and likable performance. Alonso is often secondary and gets a lot of mileage out of his smoldering screen presence and insanely good T-shirt game, but he got a couple of really meaty monologues this episode and when he's called on to carry a scene he does it effortlessly. Feels like they've pushed that character forward more while pulling back on Frenchie, but that just may be because of the structural differences between seasons 1 and 2.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I thought for sure Black Noir was gonna come wreck Butcher since they played up tracking him and the facial recognition. It just paid off once he hosed off outta there, haha.

Black Noir got 2 oddly-tender moments this season: sparing the kid at Naqib's compound (after slaughtering everyone else) and playing with his bunny for a second, and sobbing at the Compound V reveal.

I wonder if they're setting up for a heel turn for Black Noir over a kid, which by default would be Ryan. Maybe stopping Homelander from killing him, or sparing Becca/Butcher because Ryan is present?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I hope we get a return of the confident, manipulative, quick thinking Hughie from S1. He's much more milquetoast this season

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Funny you mention that, because this avatar was bought for me by a Trump supporter who didn't like that I was a Sanders supporter. I'd change it, but I don't want to give money to SA right now, for obvious reasons. Also, he is really has a tragic backstory. I'm sure I was definitely not the only person who felt sympathy when he's trying to connect with his family the only way he knows (by brute force and being an rear end in a top hat). Not that it excuses his actions, but he is definitely a tragic figure.

BurritoJustice posted:

I hope we get a return of the confident, manipulative, quick thinking Hughie from S1. He's much more milquetoast this season
I actually really liked his downfall arc. You can see how every little event keeps building and building until he finally collapses. As Butcher points out, he's just a civilian after all. I kept expecting something big to happen from him leaving all those messages full of incriminating evidence, but I guess I was wrong.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imagine defending Stormfront, then sympathizing with Homelander, a rapist and murderer.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Romes128 posted:

Imagine defending Stormfront, then sympathizing with Homelander, a rapist and murderer.

I never defended Stormfront? She literally a massive piece of manipulative murdering piece of poo poo. All I'm saying is Homelander is definitely a victim of his circumstance though. Anyone in his shoes would grow up to be a complete psycho. One of the great things about this shows is how some of the characters live in a morally ambiguous zone.

Even Butcher's own wife leaves him because she recognizes he is a complete raging psycho who would kill someone at the drop of a hat. They literally have an entire conversation about this. The whole show is about flipping subversions and expectations for character archetypes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'd have to go back and look but isn't one of the little easter eggs in the shop that the Boys are living under a poster of a Liberty-branded anti-aging cream?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Memes would be interesting in a world where the threat of a pissed off superhero knocking on your door is theoretically much higher than a predator drone striking your room because you memed about the US military too much. I could see Homelander pushing Vought employees to dox someone’s account, finding out the person lives alone in NYC and doesn’t have any relationships outside of the internet, and giving them a laser show at 2am one night. Vought then covers it up because the corporate cost benefit analysis is weighted in Homelander’s favor.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

I could see Homelander pushing Vought employees to dox someone’s account, finding out the person lives alone in NYC and doesn’t have any relationships outside of the internet, and giving them a laser show at 2am one night
Don't forget that earlier in the episode, we see Black Noir do literally this.

Wasn't there a kid in Mexico who posted a bunch of demeaning memes about a cartel member got murdered afterwards?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Merrill Grinch posted:

I think that’s where they are going with the obvious Homelander//Stormfront hook up they are clearly setting up (my door is always open... *sexy pause* for anything)

I’m not sure when exactly this happened, I think maybe season 1 of Westworld, where “sometimes subverting your audiences expectations is a good thing that can mix up a boring or common story” suddenly became “you must subvert every single expectation your audience might have no matter what!” which is just stupid on its face.

For hundreds, if not thousands of years, planting clues throughout your narrative so that readers or observers could catch them and then feel clever for deducing the mystery was seen as an example of Good Writing but now, maybe due to the sheer volume of internet detective discourse, any twist or story beat your audience can see coming, whether or not it was especially foreshadowed, is now seen as somehow lazy or low quality writing, as though a story’s merit is solely determined by how confused the audience is.

Maybe Christopher Nolan’s terrible movies are also to blame? I blame him for a lot these days.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Merrill Grinch posted:

My dumbass theory is that Homelander is Liberty+Soldier Boy's baby. This is part of why she isn't phased by him at all, it's like having your teenage kid throw a tantrum at you.

ooh: is this why stormfront really got moved into the 7: she's not just immune to his powers, but is also the mother figure he needs. That would make her a great failsafe Vought has for Homie after Madeline died?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that’s where they are going with the obvious Homelander//Stormfront hook up they are clearly setting up (my door is always open... *sexy pause* for anything)

I’m not sure when exactly this happened, I think maybe season 1 of Westworld, where “sometimes subverting your audiences expectations is a good thing that can mix up a boring or common story” suddenly became “you must subvert every single expectation your audience might have no matter what!” which is just stupid on its face.

For hundreds, if not thousands of years, planting clues throughout your narrative so that readers or observers could catch them and then feel clever for deducing the mystery was seen as an example of Good Writing but now, maybe due to the sheer volume of internet detective discourse, any twist or story beat your audience can see coming, whether or not it was especially foreshadowed, is now seen as somehow lazy or low quality writing, as though a story’s merit is solely determined by how confused the audience is.

Maybe Christopher Nolan’s terrible movies are also to blame? I blame him for a lot these days.

Dan Harmon (I think?) wrote something to this effect about Rick and Morty. He compared internet fandoms to a render farm for plot threads after he saw a fan theory on Reddit accurately predicting a twist he wanted to do seasons early, and his conclusion was: you're not going to beat the render farm and your writing will suck if you try.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I never defended Stormfront?

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't think she's racist.

Bioshuffle posted:

IMHO, Stormfront being racist is not as cut and dry as people want to believe.

She's by far my favorite superhero we've seen in the series,

Bioshuffle posted:

Obviously the term she uses is extremely racist, but I think she really enjoys tormenting and playing around with people (look at how she talks to Starlight for example, or even her first introduction where she openly mocks Homelander). She doesn't say those things because she's a racist, she says it to be as insulting as possible before killing someone. Then again, I've read the comic book series, so that may be influencing how I view the characters.

I agree that she is an awful person, but in so far as the whole racism goes, I'm going to withhold my judgement until we see some more episodes.

lmao.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

This is one of the things I enjoy the most about the show though. I love the fact that anyone can die at anytime. I don't feel like it's been abused at all, at least from what we've seen so far.

I think she would have killed all those people in the building regardless of their ethnicity. Even if they were white. You're welcome to disagree. It's a moot point.

I literally said she was an awful person in one of the things you quoted me in. I'm not saying Stormfront is a hero. She is clearly a villain. If you don't understand that, that's really on you at this point.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 11, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Well episode 4 was definitely a return to the form of S1 where every episode would elicit a dozen "what the gently caress" from me.

Couple of thoughts:

- Homelander and Doppelganger :staredog:

- Hughie and Starlight's reconciliation was really nice. They got to have a somewhat normal weekend together, as much as they could with MM glowering in the background and the sinister revelations about Stormfront. Starlight realizing that they can't live in that sort of bubble all the time and have to part ways because there are too many people out to get them was exactly the right move. Hughie is so shell-shocked and desperate for normalcy still that he wants to believe they can make it work but he's not stuck in the tower with loving Homelander.

- MM was great here, nice to see him elevated as the leader and doing things differently than Butcher but still very sharp and cognizant of what's at risk.

- Homelander cleaning house and bringing everybody into line was disturbing. It seems like he got played by Stormfront in their meeting but also that it set him off thinking about how to subvert her and take himself to a new level. She was very obviously talking him up as the poster boy for Aryan Super Nazis with the whole "everything we should be" bit. Vought obviously knows who she is and who she was so if she's not just there to throw Homelander off balance then why the hell did they bring her in?

- On that note, I think what happens is Homelander will go along with Stormfront's 'populist' heel turn (leading to him lasering some poor civilian), position her up as the mastermind, provoke a fight where she appears to kill him (pretty handy having a identical dead body), and then he comes back as the "real" Homelander who was betrayed by Vought. He kills Stormfront, making him the big hero and also frees himself from Vought. This could also be how they re-introduce Lamplighter, another hero who got sidelined and gets to have a redemption moment.

- Stormfront is definitely Liberty, so the question is where did she her new improved electricity powers from? Maybe the first gen Compound V heroes can switch up their powers by getting continually dosed, and that also increases their longevity?

- Deep's storyline is getting a bit tedious but I'm guessing that next episode is where we see him and A-train having their drink, which maybe leads to the Deep trying to set up his own version of the Seven (at the religious cult's suggestion/prodding) and that blowing up in his face.

- Butcher and Becca getting some time together was nice but her insight into his real motivations and who he really is was just aces. I didn't see that coming at all. She loves him enough to realize that he's not the savior she needs (or any savior at all really) and she's also grown beyond what he could've expected during her captivity. Interesting development and this will definitely get Butcher closer to his "gently caress it all, burn it all" down persona like in the comics. Becca was only ever a cover for his crusade and now he doesn't even have that.

- Black Noir the only reliable member of the 7, as always. I don't see him switching sides but be interesting if he does. Either way going to be a hell of a rematch with Kimiko.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 12, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Haha... I love this post. I ask these questions myself constantly. Thought I was the only one to find Nolan overrated, pretentious and generally insufferable. I did like the Hans Zimmer theme for Inception though.

Really loved this episode. MM having a larger role? Always good. Road trip? Awsome. Noir was hilarious and acted like what I always imagined how Gothan PD hanging out with Batman would really go. This show really has a wealth of good actors. The scene with Butcher and his wife made me sad. I would never trust Butcher but was almost rooting for him to drive away into the sunset, although I knew it was never going to happen. His wife saying she knew truly knew him and he was just one bad day away before becoming a beast was brutal. I know it's true and his expectation to ditch her kid was ludicrous, although logical, but Karl Urban really does make it seem like maybe there is something decent hiding underneath multiple layers of deception and anger. Guy playing MM isn't flashy but I really enjoy watching his character.

Homelander is both pitiful and terrifying and I have never empathized with him... until the memes. His face watching the loads of memes was the exact same one I get most days.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 11, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you don’t think calling someone a racial slur while murdering them is racist and they are just doing it to be rude and really stick it to a person they are about to murder, then I really don’t think there’s any point in continuing to have a discourse with you.

The showrunners could not be making it more obvious that her murders are racially motivated, and E4 has doubled down on her specific pattern of literally calling out the color of her victims skin as she murders them! Not only is she doing this when she believes she is completely alone, she’s been doing for 70 years!!!!

A note for Karl Urban, but the weight of the sadness in his face while he was wearing that hoodie in the opening scene was incredible. He’s a much better actor than I was prepared to credit him with.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 11, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping and still hope that MM will sing about not starting the fire at some point

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
At first

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, I've screencapped all the quick fire memes in the episode, but they're not very good:
https://imgur.com/a/HID75P9
Although some are:

and then

Bioshuffle posted:

I literally said she was an awful person in one of the things you quoted me in. I'm not saying Stormfront is a hero. She is clearly a villain. If you don't understand that, that's really on you at this point.
so in the spirit of Boys shitposter memes,

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HppyCmpr posted:

Maybe he meant to use the word empathy instead of sympathy, considering he was still humming and hawwing about Stormfront being a Nazi I wouldn't put it past him to mix up the two.

Either way I don't think either word is that appropriate, you can definetly understand why Homelander is how he is.

No, the terminology was right.

Sympathy is understanding why someone is the way they are and feeling bad for that. It has nothing to do with agreeing with actions as a default. Think of the song 'Sympathy for the Devil' - it's all about understanding.

Empathy is relating to someone due to having been there/felt or feeling the same way they do. Think of the psychic ability of empaths - they *actually* feel what other people feel.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I think she would have killed all those people in the building regardless of their ethnicity. Even if they were white. You're welcome to disagree. It's a moot point.

OK Mr. "I don't think she's racist even though she does and says racist stuff."

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

moist turtleneck posted:

I was hoping and still hope that MM will sing about not starting the fire at some point

Speaking of subverting expectations, I fully expected him to break and sing a little on the road trip.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Avasculous posted:

Black Noir got 2 oddly-tender moments this season: sparing the kid at Naqib's compound (after slaughtering everyone else) and playing with his bunny for a second, and sobbing at the Compound V reveal.

I wonder if they're setting up for a heel turn for Black Noir over a kid, which by default would be Ryan. Maybe stopping Homelander from killing him, or sparing Becca/Butcher because Ryan is present?

Doesn't seem like they're doing the comics Black Noir thing, so I wonder if they'll go full Batman and make him an orphan?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Black Noir is the comic relief that doesn't get old unlike The Deep, so they should just not mess with that formula by giving him a backstory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PostNouveau posted:

Black Noir is the comic relief that doesn't get old unlike The Deep, so they should just not mess with that formula by giving him a backstory.

I really hope they do something with deep soon because they could have never mentioned him again after he got sent to Ohio and at this point the show would he better for it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

I really hope they do something with deep soon because they could have never mentioned him again after he got sent to Ohio and at this point the show would he better for it

The lobster bit was pretty good.

But yea the whole cult thing is pretty boring

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm really glad that they kept the good bits of MM's backstory while getting rid of the edgier-than-Black-Noir's-blades stuff. His dad's story is quite nice and sad, and I guess we'll eventually get the full story out (which is probably going to be close enough to the comic's one, just without the absurd creepy parts).

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
hate to post so soon but...

Bioshuffle posted:

"Hmmm..... did you know that the American Civil War was about economics? I mean the president and numerous people from the South said this is 100% about slavery but maybe we just are taking it too literal? Most wars are about economics and money and just one country versus another country's needs. Ya'know thinking back and I don't think Hitler really had it out for all those ethnic types... it was about lebensraum. That's just a typical motive and nothing exceptional. I mean there were speeches about stuff but maybe it was just propaganda or we misconstrued what he really meant. I mean can we truly know what a person means? All the world is shades of grey." - typical alt right trolling online

Extreme example but the people that use this kinda sentence are often the alt right dudes. I'm hoping that you don't know and are genuine in your belief that maybe Stormfront's racism is nihil but I wanted you to be aware of why some people are giving you such a hard time. The nazis use disingenuous arguments like the above as it causes emotional responses and gets people distracted often from proper discourse about different subjects as well as downplaying truly evil and vile actions we should hope to evolve from. It's like the new version of Godwins law. If you truly did not see it then oh well. At least now it can help clarify why many are, again, taking the piss with you. It's fairly obvious to me but some people have trouble with faces or emotions and it is not up for me to judge genuine disadvantages one might face. I want to make jokes but genuine sympathy might be called for.

all that said...

Bust Rodd posted:

If you don’t think calling someone a racial slur while murdering them is racist and they are just doing it to be rude and really stick it to a person they are about to murder, then I really don’t think there’s any point in continuing to have a discourse with you.

The showrunners could not be making it more obvious that her murders are racially motivated, and E4 has doubled down on her specific pattern of literally calling out the color of her victims skin as she murders them! Not only is she doing this when she believes she is completely alone, she’s been doing for 70 years!!!!

Werd

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I liked the runner about Almond Joy. Hughie’s right they’re garbage

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

aware of dog posted:

I liked the runner about Almond Joy. Hughie’s right they’re garbage

All Starlight's candy choices really were completely garbage candy.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

All Starlight's candy choices really were completely garbage candy.

I got pretty upset at charleston chew and almond joy being bottom 3.

Those are pretty great and I ate those growing up. :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah almond joy kicks rear end and mounds is okay as a treat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Almond Joys are trash tier candy bars.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Hollismason posted:

Almond Joys are trash tier candy bars.

Candy bars are trash, period.

All that sugar, it's crack in food form.

*eats another peanut butter cup*

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ll defend Charleston Chew but no one can defend Bit o Honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah almond joy kicks rear end and mounds is okay as a treat

Incorrect, coconut-based candy bars are universally garbage