Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
OK, yeah I guess a 2nd + $4m (Orpik's buyout) for Grubauer was an overpay. I kind of forgot about that since his boat anchor rear end was back anyway.

ThinkTank posted:

They always manage to get a bevvy of picks for every one one of their forgettable middle six guys on a $4m contract.

I don't know about this though. Burakovsky, Stephenson, Johansson worked out decently for the other teams? Brouwer for Oshie is pretty funny looking back on it...

e: Perreault worked out great. And we'll not talk about Erat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vegas replaced Chicago as the team everyone helps out in the west. Leave my lovely Seabrook-saddled team out of your whining. :colbert:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1304567972929839104

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1304566552423956480

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
How in the hell did Nick Bjugstad get that contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apparently Pen's retained $2 million which is definitely a "I'll scratch your back" move from JR to Guerin because that's more than the buyout cost

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

How in the hell did Nick Bjugstad get that contract
He had some decent seasons and was still young, while also being tall.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Apparently Pen's retained $2 million which is definitely a "I'll scratch your back" move from JR to Guerin because that's more than the buyout cost

Bjugstad had a couple good years early on in his career. Also this is a really good low commitment deal for Minnesota considering the fact that the Penguins are picking up half of his salary/cap hit.

Koivu is done so maybe they hope Bjugstad can give them anything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Bjugstad had a couple good years early on in his career. Also this is a really good low commitment deal for Minnesota considering the fact that the Penguins are picking up half of his salary/cap hit.

Koivu is done so maybe they hope Bjugstad can give them anything.

Yeah, I mean he's good for 30-40 points if he stays at all healthy so I'm more confused by what the gently caress JR is doing retaining at all. A buyout would've been $500k and then $1.5m which seems like a better way to spread it out
Unless he explicitly only needed the $2m cleared

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Oh yeah. I mean it makes zero sense from the penguins perspective.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/sarah__mclellan/status/1304584714204872705?s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah those terms reek. Either he's broken after the surgery in a way that a buyout wouldn't have gone through or the pens org is hard up for actual cash because they didn't get to rake in playoff bucks
or a bit of both

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Lost in this news is the Oilers signing Adam Cracknell.

I remember being confused by the Rangers picking him up off of waivers a few years ago.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Minnesota just needs to sit him out of "precaution" for a couple weeks.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Yeah those terms reek. Either he's broken after the surgery in a way that a buyout wouldn't have gone through or the pens org is hard up for actual cash because they didn't get to rake in playoff bucks
or a bit of both

I'm going to buy them and move them to Hamilton.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

or a bit of both

I hope its to make room for another bad overpaid defenceman.

Just imagine a JJ-Seabrook pairing. Imagine.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Nick Bjugstad was the first Panthers forward draft pick to get hyped any amount and almost kinda sorta live up to it briefly. The Huberdeau-Barkov-Bjugstad line was emblematic of the new core and it was very sad when Bjugstad, the one who looked to be the most resilient of the three, get hurt again and again after some good years. Hope he finds himself again.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I’m not going to look at any stats but qualitatively I remember liking bjugstad on the pens when healthy. Maybe not incredible value but not an anchor at least. Trade seems bad and I don’t have any faith in JR that it’s part of something bigger that will be good

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Zodijackylite posted:

Trading Orpik, having him bought or, then resigned cheap.

Yes but this also facilitated the Caps playing Brooks Orpik. Fair tradeoff IMO.

https://twitter.com/russianmachine/status/1304540807018545153?s=21

Pay that man his money.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Furnaceface posted:

I hope its to make room for another bad overpaid defenceman.

Just imagine a JJ-Seabrook pairing. Imagine.

I'm imagining JJ and Ristolainen, JJ watching plays develop up close and doing nothing about it while Risto is checking himself into the boards.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dzus posted:

I'm imagining JJ and Ristolainen, JJ watching plays develop up close and doing nothing about it while Risto is checking himself into the boards.

You laugh but I'm terrified that JR is gonna flip Letang for someone like Ristolainen to "shake things up"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1304878104654082051

so will the contract be 5 million for 4 years or 4 million for 5 years?

alzner 2.0 or emelin 3.0??? it's the same thing

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Random thought I had after seeing that OV extension tweet: which of these "14+ seasons for 1 team" players do you think are most/least likely to retire before signing elsewhere?

P. Bergeron (16 seasons)
D. Brown (16)
C. Crawford (14)
S. Crosby (15)
A. Edler (14)
R. Getzlaf (15)
M. Giordano (14)
J. Howard (14)
D. Keith (15)
M. Koivu (15)
A. Kopitar (14)
D. Krejci (14)
K. Letang (14)
H. Lundqvist (15)
E. Malkin (14)
A. Ovechkin (15)
P. Rinne (14)
B. Seabrook (15)
M. Vlasic (14)
T. Zajac (14)

Most listed have won a cup, and among those that haven't it's mostly pricey goaltenders. Koivu and Zajac seem like lifers, whereas Giordano and Vlasic could move on given the perpetual need on contenders for defensive depth?

Also, just behind Jimmy H. with 13 seasons and counting are Abdelkader, Ericsson, and Helm. Yowza.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovi is never playing for another NHL team but I absolutely could see him loving off back to the KHL for a season or two before he’s done with hockey. Probably take Backstrom with him.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
My brain can’t register that Jimmy Howard has been in the league 14 years, what the hell

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Edler isn't signing anywhere else.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Edler isn't signing anywhere else.

Yeah he has a very particular NMC for that reason. I figure he'll retire after next season unless the team goes on a long run.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
This tweet is for ThinkTank:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1304929546001551360?s=09

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:lol:

Who the gently caress keeps voting for Jets staff? Maurice got a Jack Adams vore too didn't he?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Dirty Burger posted:

My brain can’t register that Jimmy Howard has been in the league 14 years, what the hell

To be fair, he only started seeing regular time in 2009-10. Still, I am surprised that he's 36.

I feel like guys on good teams that will stay good until they retire have a good shot. Bergeron, Crosby, Letang, Malkin, and Ovechkin all seem like good bets. Krejci seems a little more expendable. Not saying others don't, but those would be my first picks.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

god I wish paul maurice would get swallowed by a trophy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I do not like this. I am upset that you have shared this with me.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1304951161250873347

So a Canadian team is never winning the Cup again going by Brain Burke's rankings, got it.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

that looks about right tbh

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Kilza posted:

So a Canadian team is never winning the Cup again going by Brain Burke's rankings, got it.

yeah

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ottawa and winnipeg are clearly the best because they're the only canadian teams to get to conference finals in teh last few years

(i dont know why he put montreal between them though, carey price isn't that good anymore)

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This spot reserved for the VGK

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wanted them to win before the series started but if they get bounced in 5 it would be so delicious

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/oli_bou/status/1304880215664058368

lol bergevin does it again

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

I guess the habs are contenders again so Marky is headed back to Giant Tiger to get some talent.

Remember when they were winning their division and wanted to make a playoff push, so he went out and got Steve Ott, Dwight King, and some other rear end in a top hat with grit?

God this guy's at his best when he's trying not to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
JR should be trying to trade JJ and should offer to eat as much of the contract as the rules permit.