Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

kojei posted:

If you think that's bad, the A320 alternates between having zero power including external power, and having the number one engine shut itself down about three minutes after it spools up with no way to get it going again. Who the gently caress cleared this patch?

I'm really enjoying how random and inscrutable the bugs are, too, coupled with breaking things that worked fine before. It does load faster and the framerates are improved. Think I may just put this down and return to it in a few months when it's more playable. Still seems a bit half cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, so the list of unplayable planes leaped from "just the airliners" to "everything with a glass cockpit" this patch lmao. What a loving disaster.

edit: actually it just appears to be the smaller G1000s that are randomly turning off on me? The TBM hasn't done that for me yet.

edit 2: live weather is also frequently still broken for me

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 17, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh wow whatever the yellow cub is (Savage?) doesn't have an artificial horizon. It's impossible to tell which way I'm flying in a storm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Intentional flight into instrument conditions in an aircraft not equipped with a gyroscopic pitch-and-bank indicator is a violation of 14 CFR 91.205(d).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

reported, bitch

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Intentional flight into instrument conditions in an aircraft not equipped with a gyroscopic pitch-and-bank indicator is a violation of 14 CFR 91.205(d).

It doesn't tell me from the selection screen! The Shock Ultra with full flaps is hilarious with hurricane winds though. That has an artificial horizon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sucks that Charles is in prison now for flying wrong.

In any case, this patch did kind of increase performance I think. If I'm in a non photogrammetry area, I'm getting 60-70fps. Maybe placing all the models is taxing my CPU because being in my hometown is CPU limiting, but I was flying around New Zealand just fine. The setting to change the displays seems nice. I set it to medium and it now I get the same performance when I'm looking at the displays vs when I'm not, which wasn't the case before. I guess I'm happy with this update for now.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the milk machine posted:

it's still sketchy but i've developed a no-app workaround based on another goon's post

if you hold one trigger or the other it will sort of seek your input position but will be jumpy.

"fix": hold both triggers a little bit, then pull your intended input farther (e.g. for right rudder, L trigger barely on at ~10%, R trigger at 50%). the sim seems to get the difference between the two smoothly as long as it's getting a signal from both triggers. i've been flying like this for a couple hours this evening and for me this seems to avoid the jumpy rudder problem.

i'm using an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+, but it shows up in steam/msfs as an xbox controller.

reWASD is really good once you get it all set up. 14 day trial is about to end I guess I'll just register it.

Build rollouts fixing one thing and breaking 10 others is giving me iRacing flashbacks.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Charles posted:

Oh wow whatever the yellow cub is (Savage?) doesn't have an artificial horizon. It's impossible to tell which way I'm flying in a storm.

From doing the bush flights in it, I think there's a plaque in the cockpit that basically says, "Hey man, this plane's for fun. Don't try to fly if it's lovely outside."

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Sadly, for everyone here who also plays DCS, we're all too familiar with a non-existent QA department and "patches" breaking things and causing more issues than they solve. The only real thing we can do is :dealwithit:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So I had a ~13gb download for the patch (I have the upgraded version) and about halfway through it seemed like it timed out or lost the network connection. I restarted MSFS...and now I have a 66.7gb download waiting for me. :shepicide:

Also my SSD went from 20gb free to 80gb free, so apparently the installer for some reason deleted vast swaths of the game during the patch download/install process. Thanks Asobo!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

i am kiss u now posted:

Sadly, for everyone here who also plays DCS, we're all too familiar with a non-existent QA department and "patches" breaking things and causing more issues than they solve. The only real thing we can do is :dealwithit:

Pretty much everything you can use a HOTAS for these days is broken every other month lol.

DCS puts out fires but causes more in the process. Elite Dangerous mostly just nerfs everything.

The only people who seem to not dig themselves deeper every patch is IL2, but I may be ignorant of any drama there.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
At this point I'm just waiting for some decent third party aircraft to make it in. It's fait accompli for boosting some Q3 numbers and drawing press to the Xbox launch, otherwise they could've just kept adding people to the beta and really worked out the kinks. But here we are, tweaking config files, injecting weather, and correcting navdata all over again :allears:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I got the Thrustmaster T.16000 kit that includes all three components (stick, throttle, pedals). I kinda expected the components to be able to daisy-chain into each other like the X-52 so that I only need to occupy a single USB port on my PC.

Can I just get a cheapo little USB hub and it'll work fine?

Edit: oh, I see the pedals can connect to the throttle by some weird RJ plug. So still the question stands, just for two USB ports instead of one (one for throttle + pedals, one for stick).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, they will work fine through a hub. Joysticks are not high-throughput devices.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It's nice that there's some performance improvements but I'm really hoping they get on with fixing the computers and general stuff. I'm not too miffed about the all the broken stuff on the airliners but breaking Garmins kind of breaks... everything. Here's hoping after the xbox launch we get changes rolled back in quickly.

Drone posted:

So I got the Thrustmaster T.16000 kit that includes all three components (stick, throttle, pedals).

Someone please send me the secret location you people are getting these things.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mailer posted:

Someone please send me the secret location you people are getting these things.

I ordered mine mid-August on Amazon DE and I received it last week. :shrug:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Porfiriato posted:

So I had a ~13gb download for the patch (I have the upgraded version) and about halfway through it seemed like it timed out or lost the network connection. I restarted MSFS...and now I have a 66.7gb download waiting for me. :shepicide:

Also my SSD went from 20gb free to 80gb free, so apparently the installer for some reason deleted vast swaths of the game during the patch download/install process. Thanks Asobo!
that's pretty much what happened to me I guess. On my third attempt now after leaving it overnight, came back to see it had completed but it crashed on loading. Did a full reboot and now it's started downloading again :( This time a 32gb download so I have no idea where these numbers are coming from. But I also noticed a bunch more free space reported so I can only assume it deleted a bunch of stuff and is now reinstalling. It's a bit of a mess. Trying to find info on the official forums doesn't really help much, whole lot of really angry people there. I'd forgotten how horrible other forums can be

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Patch has been OK so far for me, except for a BSOD caused by my overclocking. Apparently Prime95 + Cinebench don't pick up a drat thing for hours, but an A5 in Croatia exercises the special CPU instruction that corrupts everything. I've underclocked my overclock.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Fabulousity posted:

In Afghanistan and Iraq didn't they make giant rear end planes like C130s and C5s come in almost on top of the airport than dive/corkscrew down to avoid potential incoming fire? Why can't the airlines do that with their passenger jets to help abate noise? Just bring back the barf bags! :barf:

What could go wrong with this? Nothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCzFhmK2gw

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that didn't look like the chute slowed him down a whole lot, ow.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like Air Safety Institute would make a video about that.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

that didn't look like the chute slowed him down a whole lot, ow.

Yeah this is where it was a "successful" ejection in the terms that he didn't die, not that he didn't get banged up along the way. But also IIRC he ended up flying for the RAF Red Arrows later in his career, so no biggie!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You wouldn't believe how much it bothers me that the visualization of the bypass fan in the turbofan engines is still hooked up to N2 instead of N1.

--edit: Yay, at least the 787 doesn't understeer like a motherfucker anymore, if you're faster than 5kn GS.

--edit: I'm trying to fly from EDDL to EBBR, and somehow I have legs of about 6200NM away in there.

--edit: Messing with the 787 flight plan in the flight computer during flight always seems to gently caress up the game and lock it up. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 17, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'd let the patch download while I slept but I don't feel like keeping my gpu running at 95% for that long. I'm just waiting for the story that uncovers the AI stuff is actually distributed among clients and that's why performance gets so bad. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying a longer TBM flight in FS2020 and I see that fuel imbalance thing again. All I can tell I am actually supposed to manually change tanks, but that seems pretty crude for such a spiffy plane. Is there some automatic pump?

The first time I did this a week or so ago, I misclicked and disabled all fuel flow. I can't imagine having to manually do this every 30 minutes or whatever on a normal flight with certain doom looming if you get a little giddy turning that handle.

Edit: It looks like it hangs if I change over to my other computer. I have to move all my USB devices, so I guess it's like the other people that get a hang if their joystick disconnects. So there goes doing long flights during the day while I'm otherwise working. :(

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2020

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying a longer TBM flight in FS2020 and I see that fuel imbalance thing again. All I can tell I am actually supposed to manually change tanks, but that seems pretty crude for such a spiffy plane. Is there some automatic pump?

The first time I did this a week or so ago, I misclicked and disabled all fuel flow. I can't imagine having to manually do this every 30 minutes or whatever on a normal flight with certain doom looming if you get a little giddy turning that handle.

There is an auto/manual switch on the right side of the overhead panel. Not sure if it works in FS2020 though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That dumb rear end world map route planner also considers dropping from 14000ft to 3000ft within 2NM is a great idea. Oh dear.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It just knows there's a SAM site near there.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

There is an auto/manual switch on the right side of the overhead panel. Not sure if it works in FS2020 though.

I've always had that on but for me the fuel usage in TBM stays pretty much even so I guess it works.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

It does, that's what the AUTO SEL caution is telling you to set. Sometimes it can be a bit slow to switch tanks so you still get the imbalance warning, but it seems to sort itself out.

On another note does anyone know how to view wind speed/direction in the King Air? Seems like that should be possible but I can't figure it out.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mailer posted:

I'd let the patch download while I slept but I don't feel like keeping my gpu running at 95% for that long. I'm just waiting for the story that uncovers the AI stuff is actually distributed among clients and that's why performance gets so bad. :v:

It's dumber. It's the classic fuckup of failing to cap your framerate so your GPU is crunching its rear end off trying to render hundreds of FPS of a loving progress bar slowly working its way to the right. If you had VSYNC on, it wouldn't have gone much above idle.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What's weird is the main menu in-game doesn't peg the GPU but the content manager does lol.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

What's weird is the main menu in-game doesn't peg the GPU but the content manager does lol.

I'll never understand menu optimization. I've seen issues like this in Flight Simulator, but Dota takes the cake for the issue. Dota, which in game only uses like 30% of my GPU has some menus that peg it at 100%.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Soy Division posted:

On another note does anyone know how to view wind speed/direction in the King Air? Seems like that should be possible but I can't figure it out.

It might be in the top right of the MFD (I don't remember each plane until I load it), otherwise I haven't figured out how to turn it on besides on G1000s.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'll never understand menu optimization. I've seen issues like this in Flight Simulator, but Dota takes the cake for the issue. Dota, which in game only uses like 30% of my GPU has some menus that peg it at 100%.

Isn't that more unoptimization? Like seems these issues happen when the developer doesn't care or pay any attention to the menu code and lets it hog all resources.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

On the 3000 you have to use the touch screen buttons and it's under PFD settings.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Soy Division posted:

It does, that's what the AUTO SEL caution is telling you to set. Sometimes it can be a bit slow to switch tanks so you still get the imbalance warning, but it seems to sort itself out.

Do I normally toggle on auto selection before I take off? If so, would I normally do it as part of starting up everything?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bedurndurn posted:

It's dumber. It's the classic fuckup of failing to cap your framerate so your GPU is crunching its rear end off trying to render hundreds of FPS of a loving progress bar slowly working its way to the right. If you had VSYNC on, it wouldn't have gone much above idle.

IIRC The Sims 3 has this bug and it’s been known to torch cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Its the thing Bedurndurn said, lots of games won't turn on vsync or frame limit the menus so the menus melt your card if you have a beefy one. Once you get in-game and its rendering all the game models then it runs vsync, but the part of the game code that renders the menus is somewhere else and just throws some simple menu graphics at the screen without the extra processing that thinks about that stuff.

I think Skyrim and Battlefield does the same thing? I'm trying to remember which all games I've run into the problem with. A bunch of them. If you get a frame counter you'll see your computer rendering like 400 fps on menus. If you force a frame limiter suddenly everything works waaaaaay better.

The good news is Nvidia now lets you frame-limit in the control panel so you can fix it even if developers don't think about it. So I have a global frame-limit of 120 to match my refresh rate of 120 Hz.