Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Johnny Truant posted:

so who all do we think is gonna bite it before this season is over with? Lamplighter for sure, but i just can't see Stormfront's plot ending so soon

Mallory too, maybe?
I would love to see Stormlight come back next season, but it feels like we've seen all her Nazi tricks. Not much else she could do to prove that she's evil, really.

A-Train's plot is kinda fizzling out, so it'd be interesting if he takes out Stormlighter in an ultimate act of sacrifice type deal to complete his redemption arc. I know Kimiko has the rightful claim, but I just want to see A-Train give her the middle finger in a big way after all the micro aggressions he's had to put up with from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think there’ll be a confrontation where Stormfront sacrifices herself for the ideal of Homelander, to signify the evolution of fascism through Naziism into American Imperialism. Whether that sacrifice is her doing it willingly, or Homelander using her as a proverbial shield, I’m not sure.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

REALLY glad they're adding a third dimension to her character

That actress is so talented. They barely give her anything to work with and she knocks it out the park with her eyes alone

I'm happy they actually gave her a name. The comic never did, nope, her so called name? The Female. That was it. No real name because she wasn't worth the five seconds to think of one.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

veni veni veni posted:

Can't help but wonder how the hell they kept cindy in the cell to begin with.

The one kid mentioned that he wanted to see his sister, and SF said "well, chill out and maybe we'll see if we can make that happen" - didn't someone speculate that maybe the sister was Cindy? If so, maybe part of what kept her in the cell was, you know, The Implication. (Anyway, LL said the doc was bad with drugs, so I'll go with Occam's Razor and say it's just "drugs" until/unless they say otherwise.)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A character who communicates through every means other than dialogue can be a lot of fun. See everyone's favourite sassy space alien Chewbacca.

Plus, like other shows that have had a non-speaking character, it gives you one chance to make a big impact by having them finally say their first words in an important scene at some point. (which is what the comic eventually did)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Whatever confrontation is going to happen, it's going to happen by the end of the season. This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.

Yeah. Shoot the gun, then keep a few more in the drawer.

So I'm expecting a 5 year arc based on what he did with Supernatural. The 4th season finale being a no way back to normality moment.

Just apropos of nothing but a little comic knowledge thats prob when Homelander kills the President. Making that confrontation btw Homelander and the US govt an entire season makes sense to me

I dont think Stormfront makes it out alive from this season. Then the last 2 seasons [with more of a focus on the Voight corporate things, I mean you dont hire Gus Fring without wringing the most out of him] focusing on Homelander.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah, Stormfront isn't making it to next season and Vought is either gone or severely weakened.

Edit: maybe a Collective buyout so we get some church and corporate state commentary.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 28, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

McSpanky posted:

Whatever confrontation is going to happen, it's going to happen by the end of the season. This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.
Was he in charge last season? Because it literally ended on a cliff hanger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It does seem like Stormfront is likely a one season villain, but we will see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keltar posted:

I'm happy they actually gave her a name. The comic never did, nope, her so called name? The Female. That was it. No real name because she wasn't worth the five seconds to think of one.

Yeah its one of many examples of the show de-Ennis-ing the story for the better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

i keep going back and forth on it when i think about her arc.

what if HL's kid is the one who ends her? hmmmm

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

They have already done so much with her that I am not sure what else they can do. Unless they elect her as president.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tentative prediction for SF's death: Starlight sucks out all of her purple electricity then A-Train does some speedy poo poo to kill her

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's only two more episodes so things will need to escalate quickly to get to a stormfront death scene, so we'll see

Was this posted? I don't recall seeing it

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1304076665274859522?s=19

Some of the cut butcher scenes from episode 2 turned into a short

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Keltar posted:

Not exactly. Her full superhero name is “The Female of the Species” which is a reference to a Rudyard Kipling poem by the same name. The poem is about how the female members of various animal groups (bears, snakes, humanity) are deadlier than male members when forced into a confrontation. The poem itself is very dated - Kipling and all - with references to Indian “squaws” burning Jesuits and ultimately justifying male domination as a mercy since women are so much more brutal than men.

The Female is much less of a mouthful than the full name, of course.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its one of many examples of the show de-Ennis-ing the story for the better.

Pretty sure I read a report during season one he had to be kept told no when he wanted Homelander to do a scene from the comic, you know, the one where he's jerking off on top of a building yelling he can do whatever he wants.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Not exactly. Her full superhero name is “The Female of the Species” which is a reference to a Rudyard Kipling poem by the same name. The poem is about how the female members of various animal groups (bears, snakes, humanity) are deadlier than male members when forced into a confrontation. The poem itself is very dated - Kipling and all - with references to Indian “squaws” burning Jesuits and ultimately justifying male domination as a mercy since women are so much more brutal than men.

The Female is much less of a mouthful than the full name, of course.

The Female was pretty much what she was called in everything, any time you see their names listed she was only ever The Female. I think the part your talking about was only ever said in one issue by Butcher if I remember right, it's been long ago, and really couldn't they have taken five seconds to give her a proper name.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

eSporks posted:

They have already done so much with her that I am not sure what else they can do. Unless they elect her as president.

She needs to die now so that Homelander can continue down his path of 'gently caress everyone not me'.

This season Homelander has been on a dark monomyth and Stormfront has been Guardian, Goddess, and inevitably the Sacrifice.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

eSporks posted:

She probably does have 750 dollars so..

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

tentative prediction for SF's death: Starlight sucks out all of her purple electricity then A-Train does some speedy poo poo to kill her

I think you've got the first part absolutely correct.

Not so sure if A-Train will be involved though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bioshuffle has hit his third probe--d/w it's not just a sixer, there's a longer one queued-- and the poll is up.

I know I handed out some probes in here that many posters were not happy with, but they were probes this thread was warned would happen if they continued to derail over a subject (Stormfront) Bioshuffle had more or less dropped and admitted he was wrong about forever ago. They were all probes based on reports from other posters in this thread who were very sick of it.

This thread very quickly turned into two camps: people mad at Bioshuffle, and people mad at all of the derailing over Bioshuffle after I came in to say that he was on his last strike and would be getting the boot the next time he slipped up, and for everyone to please put him on ignore and stop disrupting the thread and baiting him. With Bioshuffle not doing anything probe worthy in that timeframe (and tbh shockingly no reports even about his regular posts), unfortunately there was only one of those groups of people I could take action for.

At any rate, the choice is now (mostly) in your hands! Bear in mind the threadban will likely go through no matter what. The only way it might not is if there is a startling majority voting Goku no, which I highly doubt will happen. This ban will also be effective for any future seasons of The Boys and their corresponding threads.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hurray!

e: I don't know where this is from but it made me laugh

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Time to vote.

Remember, you are not Florida.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh also while I'm here, I'm pretty sure this thread is one of the many that prefer stuff from 'next week on' promo clips/etc to be spoiler tagged. There was a post in here earlier that I slapped tags on myself, but just please keep it in mind in the future. It may seem like a silly thing to worry about spoiling but everyone watches their TV differently and there's a lot of goons who prefer to avoid the upcoming teasers without having to also avoid the thread.

Stuff that has aired is always fair game tho.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Thank you for letting us phone posters know about the poll.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Keltar posted:

Pretty sure I read a report during season one he had to be kept told no when he wanted Homelander to do a scene from the comic, you know, the one where he's jerking off on top of a building yelling he can do whatever he wants.

The Female was pretty much what she was called in everything, any time you see their names listed she was only ever The Female. I think the part your talking about was only ever said in one issue by Butcher if I remember right, it's been long ago, and really couldn't they have taken five seconds to give her a proper name.

It was the title on the issue she was introduced in and the title of the episode she first appeared in in the show, but I agree that it's pretty dumb that she only ever got called that. Like make your Kipling allusion so you can show everyone how smart you are and then come up with something else - it's not a nickname anyone would ever call someone in real life, especially not in something that's basically a military unit. Frenchie and M.M. are short, clear, and roll off the tongue and feel believable but "the female" absolutely does not.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If we threadban Bioshuffle can we still use some of the classics he came up with?

Cause, I mean..."she can't be a Nazi, she has a cape!" is a top tier response and I don't know if I can hold back from using that gag again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Grem posted:

If we threadban Bioshuffle can we still use some of the classics he came up with?

Cause, I mean..."she can't be a Nazi, she has a cape!" is a top tier response and I don't know if I can hold back from using that gag again.

Posts that are actually just funny jokes about that dumb af take are posts I have been letting slide from the beginning tbqh. Riffing on a dumb troll opinion as an inside joke is always welcome. It was just the more aggressive derailing that was turning into an issue before.

Hell I even made it the thread title.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.

Thank gently caress for this, I'm glad some showrunners know to do this

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He also believes in having a motherfucker of a cliffhanger as well. Look at Supernatural seasons 1-5.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Thank you for letting us phone posters know about the poll.

:hmmyes:

dunno if i've ever been as satisfied pressing the vote button as i was in this poll :smuggo:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

All the other kids with the Teenage Kix
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the Teenage Kix
You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Keltar posted:

When you said a scene from the comic I expected something much worse. Jerking off from the top of a skyscraper is something I can totally imagine TV Homelander doing (although I wish I hadn't).

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I think we'll definitely see Starlight sucking Stormfront's juice. But I think Homelander will be the one to kill Stormfront, he might be the only one who can, and it was heavily implied he could. Probably as a way to rejuvenate his own image after a public reveal of Vought's and her nazi ties. I kind of suspect maybe that's why he was so happy with her reveal, he sees a way to make himself #1 again.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Maybe Stormfront gets outed as Liberty/a Nazi, and Homelander drops so many points by association the only way he can climb back up is to kill her.

I'm mostly joking but I could almost see it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

jabby posted:

When you said a scene from the comic I expected something much worse. Jerking off from the top of a skyscraper is something I can totally imagine TV Homelander doing (although I wish I hadn't).

nah that wouldn't feel right for his character as it exists in the show

low key favourite thing about show homelander is that everyone in the show and most people posting about it think he's an idiot because he's a stunted narcissistic manchild, but he's one of the smartest people on The Boys, figuring out all kinds of poo poo on his own and flailing when he does because of his complete lack of emotional maturity and impulse control

the most dangerous thing to the world of The Boys would be Homelander getting an effective therapist

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Keltar posted:

She probably does have 750 dollars so..
People were speculating about her owning a majority in Vought, but I bet she gave her stocks away so she could claim a loss and is now on payroll so she can double dip. Now that I think about it, she's probably using a fake SSN too, there is no way she still filing her taxes under the name Liberty, someone would have made the connection already.

esperterra posted:

Oh also while I'm here, I'm pretty sure this thread is one of the many that prefer stuff from 'next week on' promo clips/etc to be spoiler tagged. There was a post in here earlier that I slapped tags on myself, but just please keep it in mind in the future. It may seem like a silly thing to worry about spoiling but everyone watches their TV differently and there's a lot of goons who prefer to avoid the upcoming teasers without having to also avoid the thread.

Stuff that has aired is always fair game tho.
Thanks!
I've also seen lots of people spoiler tagging things from the comics, and that is good. In general, stuff that has already happened in the show doesn't really need tags. Stuff that is teasers for next week, or info from supplemental sources probably should have tags. Just my .02

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wheeee posted:

low key favourite thing about show homelander is that everyone in the show and most people posting about it think he's an idiot because he's a stunted narcissistic manchild, but he's one of the smartest people on The Boys, figuring out all kinds of poo poo on his own and flailing when he does because of his complete lack of emotional maturity and impulse control

the most dangerous thing to the world of The Boys would be Homelander getting an effective therapist

Yeah we poo poo on him a lot but iirc every one of his hunches proved to be correct

I can only think of Translucent off the top of my head but he knew something was up almost from the get go

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

jabby posted:

The scene was actually shot and ready to go. It wasn't until Amazon saw it that they made them cut it, which makes me wonder if that's something they'd make the same call on if it was filmed now given how season 2's been going in terms of sexually-charged hosed up poo poo.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think the Homelander corpse is coming back in the season finale, he'll fake his death using it in a way that makes him look really heroic. Then the beginning of next season will be him orchestrating his resurrection, doing a Jesus/death of Superman riff which will make him even more popular and deified.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I dunno, the whole reason Comic Homelander does it is because he's trying to convince himself he can do anything, prior to graduating to random killings etc. In reality he's still very much under the thumb of Vought and Edgar and he knows it. Testing the boundaries of what he can do and get away with is part of his character development from corporate puppet to 'let's stage a coup' supervillain.

TV Homelander is going through something similar, but instead of jerking off on Skyscrapers/lasering down random planes he had that "I don't need anybody" meltdown in a corridor, the fantasy about lasering a crowd of protestors, and murdering random criminals. Also repeatedly visiting his son. He's still ultimately trying to prove he can do whatever he wants and testing the boundaries of whether Vought will actually stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Keltar posted:

I thought I read in this thread somewhere that they actually filmed that scene, and lots of people wanted to put it in, but Amazon ultimately said no.