Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Party Boat posted:

Is there any reward from finding where a meteor fell? BotW trained me to sprint madly towards falling stars but I haven't found anything so far.
No.

quote:

Also are storms still planetwide when they roll in or can you fly in and out of them?
I think they affect the whole planet. Their duration varies a bit, so it's hard to say for sure if you were traveling when the storm cleared naturally or if you got yourself out of the storm early by traveling out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Its crazy easy to get tons of ingredients for warp fuel though now that npcs sell mass quantities of materials and they stack so high

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also seems that a scanner with 3 S rank upgrades only nets you 150k - 350k per animal now. Still nice, but moderately nerfed since the old days.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Joining random people through the main menu has been completely replaced with meeting people on the Anomaly, so you actually have to go there and agree to party up.

Storms are still planetwide but are now visible from space, the planet will look totally opaque when it happens.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Joe Mantis posted:

Joining random people through the main menu has been completely replaced with meeting people on the Anomaly, so you actually have to go there and agree to party up.

As I've been running around, random players have appeared at my location several times, landed, and then run off to do their own thing. Every system I've been to so far has been a first contact system, so I don't think the game placed me near any sort of major player activity. So it seems like the old way of popping in to the session of another player unannounced is still there?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Yeah, I think it's passive unless you go into networking and turn off multiplayer. If you happen to go to a system that people might go to then you'll definitely bump into them. That usually only happens if it's one where someone's shared the portal codes on Reddit or in a Youtube.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Are you sure what you're seeing are real players? There's a new random event where an npc will land nearby on your planet and their icon looks like a ship icon but light green, and you can buy shady modules from them. If a real player joins your session it will say so along with their name in the chat log of the game. I've played for a fair bit after Beyond came out and any random player encounters I've had were before that patch when main menu joining was still a thing. I've only encountered random players once since then and it was when I dialed 11111 on the portal. One other time I found someone's half built base on a random planet, but no player.

Passive multiplayer does in fact work too, I've met friends by going into my singleplayer game then jumping to the system where we all built bases and found each other without partying up.

It's actually funny that what Sean Murray said on launch to cover up lack of multiplayer ended up becoming true in the end - the chances of two players meeting by happenstance in an arbitrary system are astronomically low

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh. I guess I thought green icons were players. Whoops :v:

E: holy poo poo I just got eaten by an invisible monster. I was inside an Atlas v2 room picking up stuff when something suddenly two-shot me through the wall. It reloaded me outside and I was immediately killed again in a loop until I forced the game closed and restarted. But because of the death loop I lost my entire inventory and had to go back to a manual save from earlier. That was some bullshit.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 29, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I didn't play for a few months and now my paradise planet activated indium farm is now an overgrown xeno-colony. :catdrugs:

edit : oh and it now has some animals that are machine based and eat batteries

ded fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 29, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I looked into higher end crafting today and realised that I was a good way there for making Stasis Devices already as I had a circuit board and living glass farm already set up. I also had a bunch of stuff already in storage needed to make them like Iridesite so was able to craft a few straight away.
When I broke the recipes down I basically just needed some gas and mineral mines setting up and luckily for the gasses there were sources close to my existing bases so that was easy. Spent time today finding good planets and sites for cobalt, dioxite and phosphorus. Only thing to find now is a paraffinium site and I'll have everything I need. Planted more frostworts outside at my cobalt and radon mine so I'll always have loads to make glass.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

The last few observatories I've been to, I've solved the puzzle, it's zoomed the camera out then pointed it towards the horizon as it normally does when finding a location, and then nothing happens. I don't get any markers or discovered locations, or any messages saying it found or failed etc. Is this normal now?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Maybe you have completed No Mans Sky?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John F Bennett posted:

Maybe you have completed No Mans Sky?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

blarzgh posted:

EDIT: Updated to include Scanning.

Thanks for these. Usually I don't mind the credit grinding... but I kind of already did it twice in this game and just want to move on a bit.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

should i always be blowing up sentinels when i see them? ive been avoiding them as much as i can but after a few missions where ive had to steal poo poo or break in somewhere i end up killing 2 or 3 waves of them and running away until my space wanted level dies down. do the higher level ones drop good stuff? i still have my starter multitool so ive avoided messing with the tougher ones.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the walkers drop brains which are used in a couple of crafting recipes but otherwise there's not much point in fighting them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ASenileAnimal posted:

should i always be blowing up sentinels when i see them? ive been avoiding them as much as i can but after a few missions where ive had to steal poo poo or break in somewhere i end up killing 2 or 3 waves of them and running away until my space wanted level dies down. do the higher level ones drop good stuff? i still have my starter multitool so ive avoided messing with the tougher ones.

Not unless you need a bunch of pugneum or something else specific, they're basically robot space cops. And you really don't want to take off and fly into space while sentinels are active.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
once upon a time, murdering space cops was the easiest way to grind nanites (pugeneum refines to nanites) but now that you can scrap ships for nanites, and can buy pugeneum from traders, its obsolete.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m a big fan of traders just dropping by wherever you are to offer dodgy upgrades.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

blarzgh posted:

once upon a time, murdering space cops was the easiest way to grind nanites (pugeneum refines to nanites) but now that you can scrap ships for nanites, and can buy pugeneum from traders, its obsolete.

Buying pugneum is totally the way to go for nanites now. Trade pugneum for shady tech at every station you see!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Haven't shot any with the new update, do they still drop the explosive drone / mind control device single use frigate expedition mods? I found those useful enough.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lord Awkward posted:

Haven't shot any with the new update, do they still drop the explosive drone / mind control device single use frigate expedition mods? I found those useful enough.

As far as I know, the Dogs still drop the Quad Servo for crafting the fuel oxidizer, and the Walkers still drop the Walker Brain for crafting the explosive drones.

However, with this latest update, there are new craftables (Solar Mirror and Hydraulic Wing) that you can build in your inventory to make the other two consumables.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Good to know, thanks.
--

Traders dropping in on my base are cool, but landing right where I'm building the moment I turn my back is... not ideal.

Also discovered tetracobalt is now obsolete when I tried refining it, glad I didn't have much lying around. Should probably re-read the patch notes for others and clean house.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

ded posted:

I didn't play for a few months and now my paradise planet activated indium farm is now an overgrown xeno-colony. :catdrugs:

edit : oh and it now has some animals that are machine based and eat batteries

Yeah this also happened to me, my cactus planet is now an irritating place to be
Also everything needs to be rescanned.
As if i needed any more money.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lord Awkward posted:

Good to know, thanks.
--

Traders dropping in on my base are cool, but landing right where I'm building the moment I turn my back is... not ideal.

Also discovered tetracobalt is now obsolete when I tried refining it, glad I didn't have much lying around. Should probably re-read the patch notes for others and clean house.

I still haven't found a good source for what they added and removed. Apparently there are new mineable resources as well. I found basalt on a planet I landed on the other day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, I played so much the last couple days I dreamed about spaceships all night.

Is there any reason for me to exchange/buy a C class shuttle or hauler? More storage would be nice, and the gap between classes is a pretty big jump in units. It also seems like a pretty marginal upgrade.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Now that you can upgrade inventory and such, is there any real advantage to the different ship classes or is it all looks?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Posted this in the VR thread but it’s probably useful here too:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For those of you with NMS performance issues in VR, I may have stumbled on a fix.

Mine ran pretty poorly after this update, with lots of stuttering and reprojection. I assumed it was SteamVR cranking the SS up to 150% again, but when I dug in it wasn’t that.

Turns out that by default NMS VR is hugely single-core, so once it maxes out that core, it’s done, performance-wise. Thankfully you can change that in a config file

In the NMS folder in your Steam games directory, find
/binaries/settings/TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.VR.MXML

in that file will be two values, “NumHighThreads” and “NumLowThreads”

The key seems to be to set it to use all threads minus one for the OS/SteamVR/Whatever.

So if you, like me, have a 12 logical core processor, you’d want to reserve one for SteamVR, giving you 11 cores left. You then set NumLowThreads to 1, leaving you 10 cores, so you then set NumHighThreads to 10

A 16 core would get low cores of 1 and high cores of 14 and so on.

This took the game from a hitchy stuttery mess to 90fps nearly all the time for me. Well worth it if you want to explore some planets

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there any reason for me to exchange/buy a C class shuttle or hauler? More storage would be nice, and the gap between classes is a pretty big jump in units. It also seems like a pretty marginal upgrade.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Now that you can upgrade inventory and such, is there any real advantage to the different ship classes or is it all looks?

Haulers have better shield stats but are the slowest moving, Fighters have better maneuverability and damage stats, and explorers have better warp drives. Exotics have the best of all abilities, and shuttles have the worst.

It costs a ton of nanites and units to upgrade lower class ships. If you're totally flush with cash, its not so much of a problem. But, you can save a lot of money by ship hunting for an A class or S class version of this ship you want.

blarzgh posted:

Ship Scumming 101:

- find rich systems only ('wealthy', 'prosperous', etc) of the species you need (vyk=fighter, gek=hauler, korv=explorer)
- each system has 21 ships. The ratio is 7-7-3-3-1. 7 shuttles, 7 of the system species 3 of each of the other two, and 1 exotic.
- Find a trading Post (as detailed earlier), pop down a save, and reload until you a) see the ship you want or b) have seen all 7 of the kind you're looking for and don't like them, whereafter you warp to the next system.

When you find the style of ship you want, you can now reload over and over and over, because while the design stays the same, it's class (C-S) and # of slots are randomized each reload.

S Class will ALWAYS have max slots, however.

Tips:
....Boost up on top of the trading Post and save there. It's easier to see incoming ships.
.... 7-9 ships spawn every reload.
....Use your scanner to look at the ships while they're flying in. If you can get them in your sights, you'll be be able to see their class and slots.
....be advised, Scumming for an S Class can take hours and hours. There's only a 2% chance of one spawning in a wealthy system, only a 1 in 3 chance of your ship being in system when it does, and only a 1 in 7 chance of your ship being the one that does, so... get comfortable.
....Medium economy systems CAN spawn an s class but it's only 1% which means hundreds of extra reloads to feed the RNG gods. Poor systems cannot spawn an S class

If you have Some money, but not a ton, you can earn lots of inventory upgrades (that you can use instead of money to add an inventory slot at the upgrade kiosk) and nanites from scrapping ships at the space station. Buy ships that land at the station, run over to the kiosk and scrap them. Sell off the upgrade modules for nanites, and the scrap parts for units. It costs you about 15% of the price of the ship to scrap it. (Buy a shuttle for 1,000,000, scrap it, and you can sell all the scrap for 850,000).

I did a little research into the odds of getting inventory upgrades, and here are the numbers I found:

blarzgh posted:

Ok, so I did a little scrapping experiment. Sample size is only 50, so results are super untrustworthy.

Your odds of getting a storage augmentation depends on class and whether the ship is a fighter or not.

Fighters, for some reason, tend to scrap for 3-4 modules, and rarely give you storage augmentation units, at any class

Shuttles give you 1-3 modules, and they give you a storage about 75% of the time (this includes C class, will discuss in a moment)

Explorers and Haulers almost always give you a storage aug.

What I found was that your odds of getting a storage augmentation unit goes up with the ship's class. C Class (except fighter) gives you one about 30% of the time, B class is like 60% of the time, and A class is 90% of the time. (Except for fighters, of course)

I also found that it has nothing to do with the number of slots a ship has. Class is most important.

Also, it appears Haulers may drop slightly more often than Explorers, and Explorers slightly more often than shuttles, but that is purely conjecture.

So, in short:
Farm Fighters for Upgrade modules (Nanites). It's probably worth to scrap B, A, and S class since the return on B class ones is better than sitting around doing nothing, waiting for an A class, and they're cheap.

Farm B class or better Explorers, Haulers or Shuttles for storage upgrades.

Edit - trip report: I got 25 storage augmentation units and 25,000 Nanites in an hour doing this. If I didn't waste time with C-classes, I probably could have done 35 and 35,000

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 29, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Side Note: When adding upgrade modules to your starship, they get an adjacency bonus, so make sure the upgrades are touching as many sides as possible:

blarzgh posted:

Any tech that can be improved with an upgrade module can have a total of 3 upgrade modules, plus any technology upgrades you have blueprints for. The specific bonus multiplier hasn't been catalogued to my knowledge, but it the adjacency bonus works per # of sides of installations touching

So, for example: Your Spaceship's rocket launcher.

There is one installable tech bluprint (large rocket tubes), and you can add three Upgrade Modules.

Installing them in a straight row will yield you 4 points of adjacency bonus.

[]*[]*[]*[]*[]

Installing them in 2 adjacent columns will give you 5 points of adjacency bonus.

[]*[]
[]*[]
[]

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i saw origins dropped and was considering getting back into this game after years away. i left because it felt like there was no depth to anything: combat was janky but not hard, exploration didn't result in you actually finding anything, it was impossible to find the ship you wanted. felt like everything was just a grind for bigger pockets. is that still fundamentally what the game is? or should i give it another shot?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Muscle Tracer posted:

i saw origins dropped and was considering getting back into this game after years away. i left because it felt like there was no depth to anything: combat was janky but not hard, exploration didn't result in you actually finding anything, it was impossible to find the ship you wanted. felt like everything was just a grind for bigger pockets. is that still fundamentally what the game is? or should i give it another shot?

It's changed significantly. Combat is improved and there are more kinds of things to fight and reasons for doing so. Similarly, there are more kinds of things to discover while exploring, and missions to guide you to places where exploring is likely to be interesting. Ships can now have their stats and slots upgraded so grinding for the ideal one is much less necessary. Base building is now virtually its own game with a lot of possibilities.

Generally it's much more of an actual game now than the world generator toy with survival meters stuck on top it used to be. Also it supports VR now if you have the hardware.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wow I had no idea that adjacency bonus works better in clumps than lines. Good to know, and the nanite farm from flipping ships also helps a lot.

I also remembered why S class plasma launcher upgrades are actually awful, the hard way :v:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

I also remembered why S class plasma launcher upgrades are actually awful, the hard way :v:

Lol, we all have.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If one-shotting everything including yourself is wrong I don't want to be right.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Thundarr posted:

This image is evergreen:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Muscle Tracer posted:

Combat is much less janky but still not hard. Exploration is better, variation is improved but it's still procgen. As long as you like the cosmetic appearance of a ship you can upgrade it eventually to be top tier within the same class. Grindiness for cash is a pretty comfortable curve now, I think. There are other progression currencies without passive methods, if you've ever genuinely enjoyed just mining up blocks in minecraft, most of them have a similar vibe. The game is not an inch deep anymore, it's more like 3 feet. If the game at release was what it is now, I think it would have been considered imperfect but quite successful in its aims.

If you still own it then absolutely give it a shot. If not, watch a video post-Origins.

edit: also:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 29, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's a good metaphor. It is now 3 feet deep but also 10 miles wide.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I by, "depth" you mean a guided endgame that rewards you specifically for doing lots of things and lots of different things. I can't say the game offers this today.

When other people say, "depth" they mean a substantial amount of different mechanics, with multiple branching iterations and implementations of those mechanics, that offers up many different unique and personalized ways to experience the game. The game has this in spades.

I've played for about 300 hours, and I'm still learning new things, and finding different things in the game I want to do or try. Here is an incomplete list of things you can sink time into, after upgrading your exosuit, getting a good starship, getting your freighter and frigate fleet, and maxing out your multi-tool:

- Endlessly and aimlessly explore an infinite number of planets and biomes, and half a dozen different types of exotic planets.
- Try any or all of dozen ways to generate money.
- Try 5 different methods of basic base building.
- Learn glitch-building, and other advanced building techs to try making even more unique bases.
- Explore derelict freighters and upgrade your own.
- Scour the universe for the perfect fleet of starships, including exotics and a living ship.
- Hunt maximum standing levels and achievement status across 8 different catagories.
- Learn local languages.
- Build, upgrade and enjoy 6 different exocraft, and build your own race track or obstacle course.
- Do missions alone or with friends or randos at the Nexus.
- Hunt exotic multi-tools.
- Travel to the Center of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The RNG was kind today. 8.3 million.