Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not entirely sure why, (stacking perks?) but I've been able to marry into Hindu families as Sweden for the last 40 or 50 years or so, to say nothing of marriage to much closer religions. It's a lot easier to marry other religions in this game in general, so I presume that while nutty religious map games might be fewer (might), they'll certainly still exist, if only for "converted to spouse's religion/other religion educated someone"

Does the AI have the capacity to straight up make their own religion, the way the player does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not entirely sure why, (stacking perks?) but I've been able to marry into Hindu families as Sweden for the last 40 or 50 years or so, to say nothing of marriage to much closer religions. It's a lot easier to marry other religions in this game in general, so I presume that while nutty religious map games might be fewer (might), they'll certainly still exist, if only for "converted to spouse's religion/other religion educated someone"

Does the AI have the capacity to straight up make their own religion, the way the player does?

Marriage it depends if your faith considers the other faith to be Astray, Hostile or Evil. You cannot intermarry if the faith is considered Evil.

Hostile is weird because you can holy war them, but still intermarry. must make for awkward family reunions

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Marriage it depends if your faith considers the other faith to be Astray, Hostile or Evil. You cannot intermarry if the faith is considered Evil.

Yeah, I now kinda wish I'd put Islamic Syncretism in my reformed pagan faith now so I could get some intermarriage going on. Maybe I should make a new one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Veryslightlymad posted:

No, I think someone said they're programmed to only adopt historical heresies. They can also reform pagan religions, but I don't know how adventurous they can get or there is a set template they stick to.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Excelzior posted:

Hostile is weird because you can holy war them, but still intermarry. must make for awkward family reunions

Is Insular considered merely "Hostile" with everyone? I've definitely seen a ton of Hindi, Muslim, and Tengri people I can marry lately.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is Insular considered merely "Hostile" with everyone? I've definitely seen a ton of Hindi, Muslim, and Tengri people I can marry lately.

The game seems to see anyone who isn't christian or muslim as one gigantic religion, I can marry so many different religions as Bidiac that it's pretty wild.

Also trying to win a holy war when someone's capital is far away absolutely sucks - I killed army after army after ARMY and took all the territory but getting to their capital without starving was so much bother eventually I just surrendered because it was too much work.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

abrahamic faiths consider the other religious families (Eastern/Pagan) to be Evil, but not the other way around - they consider you Hostile.

I.e. you shouldn't want to marry them according to your faith, but they won't refuse based on your faith if you ask.

if you're getting marriage OFFERS from them, then the system is borked.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm also pretty sure that it checks the religion, not of the spouse, but of the person hosting them, although that wouldn't explain it, because last I checked, I was definitely able to straight up get an alliance with one of these. Are we sure it's "Impossible" and not just "A harsh penalty"

Anyhow, Neither here nor there, but I'm digging playing an Insular character. Makes finding alliances trivially easy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelzior posted:

if you're getting marriage OFFERS from them, then the system is borked.

I don't think I've seen marriage offers from the AI, period.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think I've seen marriage offers from the AI, period.

Same

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Dwesa posted:

Byzantine Empire is a name that was invented for ERE long after its collapse. For them it was always Roman Empire anyway.

Fairly excited for the inevitable mod that does its best to give every title it's historical name, in the correct language. The one for CKII was pretty good, if a bit confusing occasionally.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm also pretty sure that it checks the religion, not of the spouse, but of the person hosting them, although that wouldn't explain it, because last I checked, I was definitely able to straight up get an alliance with one of these. Are we sure it's "Impossible" and not just "A harsh penalty"

Anyhow, Neither here nor there, but I'm digging playing an Insular character. Makes finding alliances trivially easy.

It's a bit strange, as Insular Christians, Catholics won't allow their Catholic courtiers to be married to you as secondary spouses, but they will allow other polygamist courtiers to marry you. I got some Muslim wives from Catholics down in Iberia when I did the Emerald Isle achievement.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Magil Zeal posted:

I've noticed that even in my female-dominated realms women over 50 can be pretty slow to marry, I wonder if they have a hard time with the calculations involving fertility?

The patch says the AI pays more attention to fertility chance, as well as old marriage partners in general.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Taear posted:

Also trying to win a holy war when someone's capital is far away absolutely sucks - I killed army after army after ARMY and took all the territory but getting to their capital without starving was so much bother eventually I just surrendered because it was too much work.

Yeah warfighting in this game is incredibly tedious for me, especially now that I’m a gigantic purple blob on the map. I’m really growing to hate the whack-a-mole games I’m having to play with a vastly outnumbered enemy with a lot of little armies. I hoped it would have been left behind in EU4.

Are there any mods or subtle game mechanics that automate the movement of armies?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Taear posted:

It's a shame because it made some fun ahistorical stuff - like making Russia Miasphyte or Muslim finland, that sorta thing

it's not that ahistorical, the Russians also considered converting to other faiths at that time but when they realised that Islam means no alcohol that one was out of the race.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ilitarist posted:

Is Bohemia considered a very easy mode in 1066? It's one of the recommended starts and it says it's easy. What it doesn't tell you is you have all the land you need to create a kingdom of Bohemia, and you're income is fine so you can probably get it in couple of years. More importantly, your son has a claim on Hungary. And it's an easy war if you have at least some allies, maybe even without them cause Hungary either starts with civil war or falls into it very fast.

But the most important thing is you start with seniority succession. This means you might often play as an established character who spend most of his life as dumb AI, but it also means you have no partition. When you put your dynasty member on some throne this throne will join your empire sooner or later.

The difficulties of the Bohemia start don't start to show until a couple generations in. Since cheating into seniority succession is based on a culture-specific tech, the more dynasty members you land outside Czech-culture areas keeps increasing the chance that they will culture-convert to avoid peasant rebellion (or marry some local rando and have them educate all the kids), and the title jumps all the way back to confederate partition when someone who doesn't have the cultural tech inherits. You then have to fight the short reign penalty on a grandpa who's about to die to try and get the succession law changed again.

If you get a fairly early inheritance once all the grandpas have died off, though, you have a very easy position to form the HRE or unite the slavs.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 30, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Fairly excited for the inevitable mod that does its best to give every title it's historical name, in the correct language. The one for CKII was pretty good, if a bit confusing occasionally.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2217534250

Here's the one I use no idea if it's complete yet though.

Now if only there was an option for all the CK2 localization. I hate partition vs gavelkind drat it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So some of the vassal mechanics boggle my mind. Why don't vassals defend their own lands when they are in danger of losing them to someone else? I mean, I get that their liege is supposed to defend them. That's kind of the point of the feudal system. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't raise their personal armies and defend their stuff when the alternative is losing them. I mean, when I'm a vassal although I'm not officially in my liege's wars I'm still able to participate in the conflict because the invading armies are considered hostile and if the outcome of one of my liege's wars is going to negatively impact me I'm sending in the troops.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

redcheval posted:

What determines whether someone is a knight and can be forced into knighthood? My oldest son is not as good of an heir option as my middle son but I can't force him to be a knight and take care of him the old-fashioned way.

Quoting for a new page just in case anyone knows this, although I wouldn't be surprised if it remains a mystery. I'm pretty sure he WAS a knight at some point too. I can force my other two sons into knighthood just fine but THEY don't have the shy trait. Why can't you be more like your younger brothers <:mad:>

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

redcheval posted:

Quoting for a new page just in case anyone knows this, although I wouldn't be surprised if it remains a mystery. I'm pretty sure he WAS a knight at some point too. I can force my other two sons into knighthood just fine but THEY don't have the shy trait. Why can't you be more like your younger brothers <:mad:>

Can you just disinherit him?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Is Bohemia considered a very easy mode in 1066? It's one of the recommended starts and it says it's easy. What it doesn't tell you is you have all the land you need to create a kingdom of Bohemia, and you're income is fine so you can probably get it in couple of years. More importantly, your son has a claim on Hungary. And it's an easy war if you have at least some allies, maybe even without them cause Hungary either starts with civil war or falls into it very fast.

But the most important thing is you start with seniority succession. This means you might often play as an established character who spend most of his life as dumb AI, but it also means you have no partition. When you put your dynasty member on some throne this throne will join your empire sooner or later.

Also if you switch out of czech you lose your succession type, as I found out when the failson I made king of Egypt during the crusades came back as an Egyptian Ismali about 30 years later.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ice Fist posted:

So some of the vassal mechanics boggle my mind. Why don't vassals defend their own lands when they are in danger of losing them to someone else? I mean, I get that their liege is supposed to defend them. That's kind of the point of the feudal system. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't raise their personal armies and defend their stuff when the alternative is losing them. I mean, when I'm a vassal although I'm not officially in my liege's wars I'm still able to participate in the conflict because the invading armies are considered hostile and if the outcome of one of my liege's wars is going to negatively impact me I'm sending in the troops.

Yeah, it's just weird. I was attacking Sweden and they decided to take their army, go to sea, sail around the planet, and attack Mali.

My vassal king of Mali owned basically the whole of the dejure Mali empire lands with like 8k levies but just let this 2k stack siege his capital and capture his whole family.

Great work dude :thumbsup:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Missing an easy-to-get repeating stewardship duty event and the scholar trait bonus, but otherwise I think I maxed out consistent dev bonuses.

Notes:
Development comes from two areas: flat development and percent development
Chose Assyrian Culture because it only started in two counties (on patch 1.1 it starts in 5 counties) and has 9 innovations. Ironically to speed up Assyrian innovations you want to culture-convert them away
Starting Development: 25 (AMAZING)
Flat development:
+0.4 developing county, if stewardship skill ~ 22 at max existing development penalty
+0.9 if steward is your friend. +.45 if best friend. Crazy good
+0.2 from planned cultivation perk (scholar tree)
+0.3 from centralization perk (architect tree)
+0.3 from coinage rights granted. This is a pain because it requires your liege to have coinage, not the vassal. Try tutoring the liege heir with a hook and hope for RNG
+0.2 from Cordoba special building. This particular holy building is very flexible because it allows any Christian or Islamic religion
+0.0 from Madurai special building, because Madurai doesn't have one (other sites do, but lose out on percent development and starting development)
Percent development:
+100% from Hunter's Guild (lvl 4 city building)
+80% from Shipwrights (lvl 4 shipyard building)
+25% from Glass Monument (requires lunatic. very annoying to obtain)
+25% from Farmsteads (lvl 4 farm building)
+6% from Hundred-acre fields (lvl 4 manor building, lol)
+10% from duchy building
+20% from farmlands
Personal bonuses:
+15% from scholar focus
+15% from scholar trait
+15% from Funding Natural Philosophy modifier, which you get from a stewardship_duty event
+10% from holy site: Baghdad (hope you like fighting the Abbasids)
+20% from innovations

scaterry fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scaterry posted:

Missing an easy-to-get repeating stewardship duty event and the scholar trait bonus, but otherwise I think I maxed out consistent dev bonuses. AMA

40k supply limit

in 991

:stare:

impressive

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess it would be pretty annoying if you had to check your target’s levy numbers, his duke’s levy numbers, his king’s levy numbers, and his emperor’s levy numbers every time you fought a war against an empire over a single county

strong bird
May 12, 2009

as far as i can remember they didnt do that in ck2 either. maybe there will be a war and combat expansion/Flavor Pack at some point

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also the fact that theres no proper way to attach armies/be attached to is Absolutely loving Insane

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

scaterry posted:

+0.9 if steward is your friend. +.45 if best friend. Crazy good

Do all council positions have action bonuses like this for high relations/friendship? I know your bishop gives extra tax/levies until +50 Opinion, but what about the others?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Did the patch make it any easier to revive dead religions or do you still have to go the indirect way by converting to unreformed Asatru and sacrificing people until you hit 40k piety?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

King Cohort posted:

Do all council positions have action bonuses like this for high relations/friendship? I know your bishop gives extra tax/levies until +50 Opinion, but what about the others?

All council positions give you a bonus if they're your friend/best friend, which is another reason why the Befriend scheme is actually really good. I don't know any other specifics (aside from the realm priest as you noted), but I do know that if you have negative opinion with your Spymaster they will sabotage you in some ways.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

Did the patch make it any easier to revive dead religions or do you still have to go the indirect way by converting to unreformed Asatru and sacrificing people until you hit 40k piety?

apparently building a temple is supposed to give you a sizeable chunk of piety now so you could be the Johnny Appleseed for your faith and then go "SYKE! It was all for Mars!"

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

King Cohort posted:

Every council task that has a bar (convert culture, fabricate claim, integrate, develop county, increase control, find secrets) gets a 20% bonus if they are your friend, 30% bonus if they are your best friend.
However, the stewardship task has a 90% malus from existing development, bringing it down to 10%, so adding 20% brings it up to 30% which is three times as good

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Communist Walrus posted:

You get a lot of piety from fighting in crusades, either defending or attacking, so if you get one that drags on, you can get tons of piety that way. I farmed one for like 3-4k piety a year or something like that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

buglord posted:

on that note, how do I make crusades end faster? The AI is more than happy to keep them going when their side has a total of 6k troops and our side has 70k and we've been walloping them in every battle for almost a decade now. I get the idea that they're supposed to be longer than your usual holy war or standard duchy claim war, but its annoying when it seems to persist for no real reason.

Siege, siege, siege. Most of the holy wars I'm m a in, I just siege a ton of places. Gets the warscore up fast, plus you can capture and ransom a lot of folks if you're lucky.
That way you don't run out of money, and your contribution to the holy war is also high just by sieging.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mister Olympus posted:

The difficulties of the Bohemia start don't start to show until a couple generations in. Since cheating into seniority succession is based on a culture-specific tech, the more dynasty members you land outside Czech-culture areas keeps increasing the chance that they will culture-convert to avoid peasant rebellion (or marry some local rando and have them educate all the kids), and the title jumps all the way back to confederate partition when someone who doesn't have the cultural tech inherits. You then have to fight the short reign penalty on a grandpa who's about to die to try and get the succession law changed again.

If you get a fairly early inheritance once all the grandpas have died off, though, you have a very easy position to form the HRE or unite the slavs.

Yeah, the wrong culture grandpa thing resulted in a game over for me because he had no heir under partition.

How it should work is if your capital is czech you should still keep seniority. Maybe give you an event to switch culture or revert law.

IMO the current rule kinda breaks seniority.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone else find vassal contributions to be utterly baffling and seemingly wrong sometimes? Check this out. I've got 3076 levies from my holdings. My contribution is 5% (low + x0.50 modifier from my liege not having my dejure liege title and not within liege's dejure) So 5% of 3076 should be 154. But I'm only giving him 12 freaking guys, and I have absolutely no idea where the game is getting that 227 number from.

Oh and not to mention that bar on the contract window says 190? What the hell is that number supposed to be, maybe that's because they're currently slightly depleted?

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 30, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ice Fist posted:

So some of the vassal mechanics boggle my mind. Why don't vassals defend their own lands when they are in danger of losing them to someone else?

In CK2 vassals would get a pretty big opinion bonus to their liege if they were defending their titles or pressing thier claims, which could make a pretty big levy difference since that was capped by opinion.

I don't know how vassal levy contributions are calculated in CK3, but if they're capped by the new contract system that's probably why your seeing vassals unwilling to contribute to defending themselves.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, the wrong culture grandpa thing resulted in a game over for me because he had no heir under partition.

How it should work is if your capital is czech you should still keep seniority. Maybe give you an event to switch culture or revert law.

IMO the current rule kinda breaks seniority.

if your capital is czech,there is a decision to switch back to czech (the generic "change to local culture" decision) which lets you re-enable seniority

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

yikes! posted:

if your capital is czech,there is a decision to switch back to czech (the generic "change to local culture" decision) which lets you re-enable seniority

Yeah but good luck doing so when all your vassals hate you for being the new guy. It requires a few waves of imprisonments/revocations/tyranny revolts that an heir under seniority succession might not have the capability to deal with.

The easier way is actually to keep a close eye on where your heirs are and try and kill anyone who will gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also heads up to anyone modding or debugging they added a lot more tab completion to the console: traits, titles etc