Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

JohnClark posted:

I'm getting back into this game after a long time away, and I'm wondering if there's a way to reclaim geobays after I deploy them on a random planet, or if I have to rebuild them each time?

You can delete stuff you've built by holding down Ctrl while in the build menu on keyboard, not sure for controller.

You get all your materials refunded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone have any experience with how exocraft summoning from the freighter is supposed to work? The way I believed it's supposed to work is that if your freighter is in the system and you have the station built on it then you should be able to just spawn whatever exocraft you want on a planet in the same system. But when you try it just says 'exocraft not owned' so you have to build the accompanying station kind of making the whole thing pointless?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think you have to have the ground station somewhere in order to own the exocraft first.

Then you can be in another system and summon your freighter then the exocraft.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with how exocraft summoning from the freighter is supposed to work? The way I believed it's supposed to work is that if your freighter is in the system and you have the station built on it then you should be able to just spawn whatever exocraft you want on a planet in the same system. But when you try it just says 'exocraft not owned' so you have to build the accompanying station kind of making the whole thing pointless?

I think you just have to have the exocraft station built on a normal base anywhere. I have all the stations built on one of my home base planets, and I can summon any of my exocraft on any planet that has my freighter in the same system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hey, that's useful to know!

Thank gently caress I built a mech bay on my Budullangr-crafting base, this now means whenever I remember to put this upgrade into my freighter, it's suddenly NMS: Battletech Edition. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone else runs into the same issue-- Portals absolutely work on frigates (as outgoing, not incoming, but still), but you may need to inexplicably just...drop and re-place it a couple times to get it to recognize that it's powered?

I placed one down initially and it claimed there was no power to it. I spent way longer than I care to admit trying to figure out if there was A Trick to it, trying to place lamps and connect them, before just giving up and reclaiming it...and then trying again later after finding nothing about it online and it just magically worked. Possibly you need to put something else that uses power in your freighter first so the game recognizes that everything there is supposed to have power? :iiam:

Also observatories are dangerous as hell apparently-- I'm like 3 for 3 on dying or nearly dying in the hallways leading to the L2 Atlas Pass doors from invisible mobs hitting me by clipping through the floor, invisible "electrocution" (??? may have just been a different type of invisible mob), or just flat out falling through the world

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Is there any way to scan for trading posts on a specific planet? I found a planet in a green system that's endless, insanely high Himalayan style mountain ranges, a beautiful planet-filled sky and a few minor settlements with epic views, and I want to build a base there, but preferably near a trading post. I've bought a bunch of 'commercial' maps, but they all took me off planet, and the signal booster just finds distress beacons and the like :(

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Install an economy scanner on your ship, it lets you scan for those in your utilities menu

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
drat, nice. thanks! And of course there was one literally 500m away...

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

In case anyone else runs into the same issue-- Portals absolutely work on frigates (as outgoing, not incoming, but still), but you may need to inexplicably just...drop and re-place it a couple times to get it to recognize that it's powered?

This is true for most things built on a freighter in my experience; light inexplicably not powered? Delete it and move it one pixel to the left!

Libluini posted:

Hey, that's useful to know!

Thank gently caress I built a mech bay on my Budullangr-crafting base, this now means whenever I remember to put this upgrade into my freighter, it's suddenly NMS: Battletech Edition. :v:

I've got both summon freighter and summon mech set to hotkeys and there's few things more satisfying in this game than having your freighter warp into the upper atmosphere and dropping a mech from orbit all with in a few seconds of landing on a hitherfore untouched world.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 30, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
What's the best way to get the freighter upgrades? I think they're called salvaged frigate modules. The wiki seems to be saying that searching abandoned ships is the easiest way other than attacking random ships for a rep loss. Is that still accurate? 5 million a pop for a chance at a module is pretty rough but I really want that matter teleportation upgrade. I guess also while on the subject, does that upgrade actually work the way I think it does, and I can call the freighter into orbit and dump stuff into it remotely while exploring the planet?

I'm also kind of underwhelmed by the mech so far, the turning radius seems insanely bad, I feel like I must be doing something wrong. And it's really slow unless you're just supposed to jump jet everywhere forever. Do upgrade modules fix any of this?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So me and my friend finally got to the anomaly and now going start doing stuff together. I know that missing rewards are shared, but is loot shared? Since we are still early on, things like getting blueprints from those industrial buildings is quite useful, so will both of us be able to interact and solve those puzzles together?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Gadzuko posted:

What's the best way to get the freighter upgrades? I think they're called salvaged frigate modules. The wiki seems to be saying that searching abandoned ships is the easiest way other than attacking random ships for a rep loss. Is that still accurate? 5 million a pop for a chance at a module is pretty rough but I really want that matter teleportation upgrade. I guess also while on the subject, does that upgrade actually work the way I think it does, and I can call the freighter into orbit and dump stuff into it remotely while exploring the planet?

I'm also kind of underwhelmed by the mech so far, the turning radius seems insanely bad, I feel like I must be doing something wrong. And it's really slow unless you're just supposed to jump jet everywhere forever. Do upgrade modules fix any of this?

You can also sometimes get them from frigate expeditions but that's been really hit and miss for me. I had a period where I would get them fairly often and since then I haven't had even 1. The matter teleport one works anywhere with the freighter inventory but if you call it into the system then you access any of the storage containers you've built in it too. I've been working on getting the drive upgrades because you can't call it to a system if it's a red/green/blue star unless you have the upgrade for that star.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Gadzuko posted:

5 million a pop for a chance at a module is pretty rough but I really want that matter teleportation upgrade.

I was farming Derelict Freighters last night for S-class hyperdrive modules using a trick I found: if you stick the beacon in your Portable Refiner after spawning the Derelict but before entering it, the airlock won't eat the beacon and you can take it out and reuse it after clearing the derelict.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ahahaha that's great. "Beacon? What beacon? I don't have a beacon. No need to look in my backpack, I'll just be a moment..."

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

What's the best way to get the freighter upgrades? I think they're called salvaged frigate modules. The wiki seems to be saying that searching abandoned ships is the easiest way other than attacking random ships for a rep loss.

iirc as long as you only pop the cargo containers on the big frigates and don't blow up the frigates and fighters you don't lose any rep

far and away the fastest way to do it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dartonus posted:

I was farming Derelict Freighters last night for S-class hyperdrive modules using a trick I found: if you stick the beacon in your Portable Refiner after spawning the Derelict but before entering it, the airlock won't eat the beacon and you can take it out and reuse it after clearing the derelict.

That's loving fantastic

Also I need an opinion-- I (dumbly) grabbed the first S-class freighter I found not realizing there was "regular freighters" and "capital class freighters", whoops. I'm farming for a capital one now and came across an A-class that I like, is there any way to upgrade that to S eventually or is it purely "you get what you buy"

e: also how long to they stick around after you've saved them? Are you clear to gently caress around in the system and come back to select your reward, or is it a strictly "If you move too far away from it it'll despawn regardless"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 30, 2020

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think you just have to have the exocraft station built on a normal base anywhere. I have all the stations built on one of my home base planets, and I can summon any of my exocraft on any planet that has my freighter in the same system.

It's more for driving around while exploring. I expected the freighter room to replace having to build a nomad station whenever I land on a planet in a new system but it wasn't to be.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's more for driving around while exploring. I expected the freighter room to replace having to build a nomad station whenever I land on a planet in a new system but it wasn't to be.

It does, you just need to have a nomad geobay somewhere first-- I think it's a combination of "that's how the game knows you've purchased the upgrade for them in the first place" and the fact that the freighter room doesn't allow you to customize them, you can still only do that at a geobay.

It's basically a "Exocraft Summoning Station" that counts for every planet your freighter is in.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I expected the freighter room to replace having to build a nomad station whenever I land on a planet in a new system but it wasn't to be.
To be clear: build your exocraft stations somewhere. Anywhere. Any planet, any moon. Any galaxy. Doesn't matter. Just a base computer with exocraft stations would be enough. Or spread 'em out across a bunch of bases. Doesn't matter. You just need one of each to exist somewhere.

Then build the exocraft teleporter room in your freighter.

Now you can summon your exocraft to any planet or moon you're standing on as long as your freighter is also somewhere in the same system. And now that portal interference no longer exists you can summon your freighter to any system you're in.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ahh right fair enough, I'll just stick them down in my home base then. I was just slightly annoyed at the prospect of having to build one every time I wanted to explore anywhere new which isn't the case!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

is there a way to get back to euclid? i haven't played in a long time but my poo poo was all left behind when i "beat" it and that made me sad

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you have a base there you can go to it from any teleporter, otherwise you could go to the teleporter on the Nexus and visit a featured base in that galaxy.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Gadzuko posted:

Buying/trading for the Distress Signal maps will often give you a map leading you to a wrecked freighter on a planet to explore without having to pay the 5 mil. Popping open all 5 of the cargo pods (including the underground ones) sometimes yields one.

Also, I just got one by blowing up some random space anomaly that popped up, which immediately gave me a level 5 sentinel rating and dropped a sentinel capital ship on my location. There's some round storage containers on the bottom (top?) of the ship that you can blow up and I received a freighter module from one of them.

blarzgh posted:

Holy poo poo, these are super rare!

Yeah, I didn't really realize how lucky I was for that to happen. Apparently the game decided it was a little too lucky, though :(

Edit: quick question: is there a way to teleport to your freighter? I built a teleporter and it lets me teleport from it, but not back to it. I'm assuming that this is just the case, though.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 30, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

as long as your base had a portal you should be able to teleport back to it from anywhere

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

That's loving fantastic

Also I need an opinion-- I (dumbly) grabbed the first S-class freighter I found not realizing there was "regular freighters" and "capital class freighters", whoops. I'm farming for a capital one now and came across an A-class that I like, is there any way to upgrade that to S eventually or is it purely "you get what you buy"

e: also how long to they stick around after you've saved them? Are you clear to gently caress around in the system and come back to select your reward, or is it a strictly "If you move too far away from it it'll despawn regardless"

Freighter Farming:

blarzgh posted:

1) Freighter attacked by Pirates encounters occur
- After 3(?) in game hours of play
- After the 5th or 6th warp to a different system

2) The goal is to set the game conditions so as to trigger the next encounter upon your next warp.
- leave your game running for 3 hours, and do a couple jumps, and/or
- Just keep track while you're playing

3) Have a MANUAL save before the warp jump that triggers the encounter.
- Make sure you make a MANUAL SAVE on a planet before each warp.
- Just fly down to a planet, hop out, pop a save, hop back in, and warp.
- If the encounter doesn't trigger, land, save, warp, wash rinse repeat until the encounter pops.

Mechanics
* Each solar system has a designated freighter model. It will always be the same color, type and size, every time you warp in.
* There are two types of Capital Ships; "Sentinel" (Robocops) and The Star Destroyers.
* Each type of capital ship has 3 sizes, Small, Medium, and Large. You can def tell the difference. Its by the number of middle sections they have.
* Although the model is always the same when your Freighter/Pirate encounter begins, it rolls for the class (C, B, A, S) and Slots. Random every time, and same chance to roll as spaceships (S = 1 or 2% chance).
* You cannot trigger this encounter by warping in with your Freighter, you must do it in a Starship.

4) Now you find the MODEL you want.
- Once you have a MANUAL save, you proc the encounter by warping to the next system. WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.
- You take one quick look at the Freighter, and if its not the MODEL you want, reload the MANUAL save.
- Check your list of solar systems, and warp to a different system; WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THAT SYSTEM.
- Wash, Rinse, Repeat until you warp into a system that has the MODEL you want.

5) OPTIONAL - Save Scum until you get the Class you want,
- Since you so intelligently wrote down the name of the system that has the MODEL you want, you can now save scum that encounter over and over again until you get an S-Class.
- The Only real difference is the number of slots. S Class does have the highest warp distance, but its just not super relevant to the game. I mean, if I can jump 2,000ly, am I really annoyed I can't jump 2,100ly?
- Who am I kidding, MUST HAVE BEST EVERYTHING

Edit: The reason you must have a MANUAL save before the warp is because the game will create an autosave when you land in the Freighter's Hangar and get out to talk to the Captain. At that point, without a manual backup to return to, before the warp and battle, you're stuck with the ship you landed in, and, in particular, its Class and Slots.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 30, 2020

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Edit: quick question: is there a way to teleport to your freighter? I built a teleporter and it lets me teleport from it, but not back to it. I'm assuming that this is just the case, though.
You cannot teleport TO your freighter. Only FROM your freighter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there a point to bigger freighters?
I mean, mines a shorty but what would a bigger one get me, other than looks?

Also, i'm finally full up on exotics besides my fighter which is also S class, but can't decide what style to switch to.
Gonna have to dump one if I ever go for the living ship.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Is there a point to bigger freighters?
I mean, mines a shorty but what would a bigger one get me, other than looks?

Yes, it is only cosmetic.

But its really loving cool:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
No doubt. They are way cooler looking.
But at this point i've got so much cash I dont even bother sending the fleet out.
Maybe after I max out an exotic.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

blarzgh posted:

Freighter Farming:

I appreciate the guide but that didn't answer either of the actual questions I had, heh

I'm getting the vibe of "you can't upgrade a freighter from A to S" but so much of the stuff floating around is from previous updates that sussing out what the current state of things are isn't always straightforward, and I wasn't sure how long I could sit on the question of "Do I want to stick with this A class I rolled or not" while I'm still in the system with it

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

iirc as long as you only pop the cargo containers on the big frigates and don't blow up the frigates and fighters you don't lose any rep

far and away the fastest way to do it

Listen to this person. I tried to farm the salvaged freighter modules peacefully for awhile and it took forrrrrrever. Just to go a group of freighters, fly up, pop all the little cargo pods on the big ships (not the standalone cargo ships, those cost you rep, I guess since you destroy the whole ship), shoot any turrets that are hassling you too much, basically ignore the sentinels for the most part and fly a little ways away and back to restore shield when necessary, and pop into a space station if things get too hot. It didn't take me very long to farm up however many modules I needed to install the system engine upgrades and it would have been a horrendous grind if I didn't do it that way.

Gadzuko posted:

Basic suggestions for the mech: only use the torso turning if you want to quickly look at something, don't turn the torso while you are actually steering or you'll get totally disoriented. Really, don't try to turn and walk, either spin in place and get lined up on your direction first before moving, or turn while hopping. I usually just turn on the ground, to aim in the right direction and then get moving forward; it turns pretty well while stationary. Then yes, jump jet everywhere forever. Hold down that jump button and the direction you want to go. With three S-class movement upgrades, it jumps really far. It never gets stuck on inclines or declines, it never goes nose-first into a hole, you just do the Incredible Hulk jump and bunny hop across the world as much as you want. With the upgrades it never uses more power than its generating, it's auto-immune to all climates, it can jump just as well underwater as it can on land. You can gather storm crystals and other hand grabbable stuff without getting out of it. I know some people don't like it, and I can totally see personal preference if you don't, but I absolutely love the stupid thing. If I had one wish, it's that it would let me do visor scan modes inside of it so I could track down electrical hotspots and mining spots without having to hop out and back in.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The patch notes said they fixed the bug where your build menu stops working. It's still happening to me though, and it's really obnoxious when you've spent a long time on a nexus mission and suddenly have to abandon it because it's impossible for you to deploy a drat signal booster.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I appreciate the guide but that didn't answer either of the actual questions I had, heh

I'm getting the vibe of "you can't upgrade a freighter from A to S"
Correct. A freighter's class is what it is.

quote:

and I wasn't sure how long I could sit on [a freighter] while I'm still in the system with it
Couldn't say! I stumbled into my first S-class freighter while warping into a system on other business, but needed 2mil more to afford it. Sold some junk at the space station, came back to the S-class, and the game crashed as I walked up the stairs to buy it. It was gone when I reloaded of course, but the S-class was available for, I dunno, five - ten minutes or so while I dithered and fumbled around in the same system scrounging up the extra 2 mil.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Now that you can access your storage containers directly from the freighter inventory, the few extra slots you get going from A to S class aren't a big deal. I guess you get a few more technology slots too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the actual benefit seems fairly minimal, but the fact that you can't A. upgrade or B. swap the entirety of your constructed freighter from one to the other means that it's going to be one of those things that perpetually niggles at me/makes me not want to spend as much time as I would normally setting the interior up, so may as well just bite the bullet and deal with the dice rolling up front

On the plus side I completely accidentally tripped across a model I liked accidentally and had a manual save not too far before that so class grinding is literally the only thing left to do

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I'm getting the vibe of "you can't upgrade a freighter from A to S" but so much of the stuff floating around is from previous updates that sussing out what the current state of things are isn't always straightforward, and I wasn't sure how long I could sit on the question of "Do I want to stick with this A class I rolled or not" while I'm still in the system with it

Whoops, sorry.

1) Correct, you cannot upgrade an A Class to an S Class.

2) The only material difference between an A Class and an S Class is hyperdrive range. With the advent of storage upgrades, you can make up the extra inventory slots.

3) As to the spawn, its my understanding of the mechanics that once you leave the system, the Freighter will despawn, and only respawn again (with a different class) once you return, and the aforementioned conditions are met.

As for time in system, it would have to be something that triggers the Freighter despawn, and I don't know if that is just leaving the system or just leaving the Freighter.

I have not tested this, but if your save state is in the Freighter Hangar, the freighter may actually despawn if you leave the hangar and save/reload elsewhere in the system. But I'm not sure. You may have already done this.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

blarzgh posted:

I have not tested this, but if your save state is in the Freighter Hangar, the freighter may actually despawn if you leave the hangar and save/reload elsewhere in the system. But I'm not sure. You may have already done this.
That’s what happened to me. Landed on rescued freighter, got the autosave, walked up to bridge, game crashed before I got there, was on the space station when I reloaded, and the rescued freighter was nowhere to be found.

Another freighter did not appear until 3 hours and 5 jumps later.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hyperactive posted:

That’s what happened to me. Landed on rescued freighter, got the autosave, walked up to bridge, game crashed before I got there, was on the space station when I reloaded, and the rescued freighter was nowhere to be found.

Another freighter did not appear until 3 hours and 5 jumps later.

I'm intensely curious if this is platform-dependent-- I'm playing on a PS4 and noticed that my game does not actually autosave getting out on (at least) the freighter that I'm farming for, or an owned frigate that I hopped out to repair. I assumed that it was an extremely wise choice in the vein of "we can't be sure this is going to exist in this location in the future", and (at the very least) it doesn't seem to have the same "Your progress but not your position" save like multiplayer missions have, although that'd arguably be a better idea.

I'm not sure if it triggers on my own freighter or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

blarzgh posted:

2) The only material difference between an A Class and an S Class is hyperdrive range. With the advent of storage upgrades, you can make up the extra inventory slots.

I'm curious about this-- the A class looks like it has a maximum of 14 tech slots and 42 general storage slots. Is there a way to unlock the last (apparently-locked) column on A-class ships, or do S-classes not allow for a 48 storage maximum?