Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm really frustrated here, Plex is basically the number 1 app I use on my Shield. Thanks for your time.

You may just be looking at a factory reset. Have you checked the storage area of settings and make sure your media source is mounted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just spent an hour troubleshooting the ARC on my CX before figuring out that the ARC port is the middle port on the side and not the single port round the back that makes perfect sense to plug your receiver into.

Basically I'm a moron but so are LG. Don't suppose there's a way to force ARC from the back port?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doubt it. Thats why its marked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm I wonder which one of these is the ARC port.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I didn't think so. I just think it's silly that the side ports are where the ARC is.

Here's a much better question. Can I set different picture settings for different HDMI devices (or at least different inputs) on the receiver, or is it strictly one to share between PS4, Switch and Apple TV unless I wire them up directly?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

American McGay posted:

Hmm I wonder which one of these is the ARC port.

Number 2? But I can see why people think it is number 4.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The Question IRL posted:

Number 2? But I can see why people think it is number 4.

I can't. It just says it. Like really obviously. Super obviously. The most obviously. I might be special though; my mom insists I'm one of the smartest kids at school.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I mean, the obvious implication was that I didn't read the labels on the things, except I did because I knew what ports were what number inputs but I didn't look at the ARC label and I'd just come off a Samsung where port 4 was the ARC port and I also figured obviously the less accessible singled out back port would be the ARC port right? But no. Apparently it's always been 2 on LG OLEDs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

codo27 posted:

You may just be looking at a factory reset. Have you checked the storage area of settings and make sure your media source is mounted?

:( I was worried you'd say that. I hate having to factory reset this thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fedule posted:

Can I set different picture settings for different HDMI devices (or at least different inputs) on the receiver, or is it strictly one to share between PS4, Switch and Apple TV unless I wire them up directly?
The TV doesn't distinguish the signal source that way so it's per input on the tv.

Wire them directly as you said and you can set different picture settings.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FilthyImp posted:

The TV doesn't distinguish the signal source that way so it's per input on the tv.

Wire them directly as you said and you can set different picture settings.

That's about what I feared.

Oh well. I was going to have to move things anyway because the eventual PS5 isn't going to play nice through the receiver with HDMI 2.1 fuckery.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have been surprised to hear a few people assert that Sony's OLED offerings are actually better for movies than LG's. Does anyone agree with this? I haven't found anything to corroborate that - RTINGS still recommends LG over Sony for movies.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

I mean, the obvious implication was that I didn't read the labels on the things, except I did because I knew what ports were what number inputs but I didn't look at the ARC label and I'd just come off a Samsung where port 4 was the ARC port and I also figured obviously the less accessible singled out back port would be the ARC port right? But no. Apparently it's always been 2 on LG OLEDs.

It is one of the side ports so that if you want to mount your tv on the wall and do your best to hide the cables you can without your arc connection sticking out like a sore thumb

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does any one make a decent 42-44" non-smart TV? I want a display I can just turn on and it's a TV with no features, ads, etc. I don't need crazy picture quality, just something decent (maybe 4k if that exists, but unlikely at that size).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nope.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I only ever see the home screen on my Sony if it reboots or I need to use the full menu.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does any one make a decent 42-44" non-smart TV?
You'll pay up the rear end for a "business/hospitality" model that won't have great image quality, or pay for some D-list brand.

Just get any old TV and don't connect the wifi/ethernet

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FilthyImp posted:

You'll pay up the rear end for a "business/hospitality" model that won't have great image quality, or pay for some D-list brand.

Just get any old TV and don't connect the wifi/ethernet

Yeah, that's what I figured I'd have to do, thought I'd ask the thread just to confirm.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does any one make a decent 42-44" non-smart TV? I want a display I can just turn on and it's a TV with no features, ads, etc. I don't need crazy picture quality, just something decent (maybe 4k if that exists, but unlikely at that size).

There aren't "dumb" televisions anymore; between Roku, Amazon Fire, and Android TV, most sets have integrated their settings with the smart features into one UI.
As for picture quality, units in the sub-50 inch category will typically still be 1080p; quality is generally acceptable for the price (under $200 for Insignia/Toshiba) for general use in a lit room, where absolute black levels aren't as important.
Color gamut will be inferior, matching srgb rather than P3, but again; these are budget sets using older, mass produced panel tech.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 5, 2020

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The shipping company for Costco in this case (InnovelLogistics) hit me up just now for a 9am-11am delivery time tomorrow so I'll let the thread know how it goes. As always, I'm prepared 2 die

Jows
May 8, 2002

doctorthefonz posted:

The shipping company for Costco in this case (InnovelLogistics) hit me up just now for a 9am-11am delivery time tomorrow so I'll let the thread know how it goes. As always, I'm prepared 2 die

The Sony? I went to the store and bought it yesterday. It's awesome. Setup was a breeze too. Although it power cycled randomly for some reason yesterday - I'm hoping that it was some update or whatever and it doesn't happen again.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Jows posted:

The Sony? I went to the store and bought it yesterday. It's awesome. Setup was a breeze too. Although it power cycled randomly for some reason yesterday - I'm hoping that it was some update or whatever and it doesn't happen again.

Nah I went big with the 77" LG CX, the Sony looked good tho for that price & size

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

doctorthefonz posted:

I ended up ordering from Costco while I was waiting on Amazon, which was good because I finally got through to someone who told me that they lost the TV instead of trying to reschedule the delivery again. Costco used that delivery provider, and they arrived in the expected time frame. It was very pleasant.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just got done setting up the Sony 65" 900H, and I have it sitting on a console. I realized I should secure it from tipping over just in case.

For those of you who have the tv sitting on a console, what are you using to keep it from falling over?

Is mounting going to be the best way? I was looking at those baby proofing straps. Are any of them worth it at all?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have been surprised to hear a few people assert that Sony's OLED offerings are actually better for movies than LG's. Does anyone agree with this? I haven't found anything to corroborate that - RTINGS still recommends LG over Sony for movies.

I read a review of the latest Sony OLED somewhere, which said it was slightly better than the LG for movies, but a fair bit worse than the LG for games (worse response time, lacking next-gen gaming HDMI 2.1 features).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm kinda amazed Sony haven't come out with some all-singing all-dancing flagship to feature in a slam-dunk "ready for PS5" marketing campaign, or pushed HDMI 2.1 generally even. Only megacorp on earth who make both expensive TVs and expensive game consoles and yet.

Maybe this'll happen after launch when they actually have an HDMI 2.1 TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not happening because despite everyone's hope and hype, HDMI 2.1 isn't really going to mean much for next gen consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new Demon's Souls remaster targets 1440p60 lol. Console devs will always use the generational leap of consoles to make their jobs easier.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'll be looking for a deal on the LG CX 55" in the next while to go with my PS5. Prime Day is coming up in a few days, then of course there is Black Friday and Cyber Monday. For people that follow electronics deals much closer than I do, are Prime Day deals roughly equal to Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Also, does Amazon ever publish their Prime Day prices ahead of time?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the primary graphics options for this gen are likely to be one of these three.

4k30
1400p60
4k60

All locked depending on what the blend of fidelity/performance they are going for.

Oh, I don't doubt there will be a handful of less graphically intense titles that will unlock the framerate to get above 4k60 that VRR might be useful for. That's going to be the exception and not the rule though.

Unless you are connecting an RTX 3080 or RTX 3090, it's going to be another console generation before you are going to have to worry about >60fps at 4k for the majority of titles.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I read a review of the latest Sony OLED somewhere, which said it was slightly better than the LG for movies, but a fair bit worse than the LG for games (worse response time, lacking next-gen gaming HDMI 2.1 features).
I would love to read this as well - aside from a bit of Red Dead I only plan to use this for watching hella movies.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone need a bargain TV? 55" Toshiba FireTV $300 shipped with Prime

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Aw yeah, my 77" LG CX was delivered today right on schedule thru Costco. Unfortunately the delivery drivers from Costco's 3rd party shipper had no idea about the white glove delivery so they just dropped the box off to me and left. I just said gently caress it and I did everything myself.

It was very heavy and awkward to set up alone! I'm just gonna ask for the $20 back from Costco but I also would extremely recommend you don't try to set this thing up and put it on a tv stand alone lol goddamn that was some sweaty work with the tv + stand weighing ~80lbs spread across this big ol fragile thing.

Looks great though! Coming from the TCL, I already miss the elegant little roku remote. The UI is decent and responsive enough that the wii-style pointer thing is more obnoxious than it is useful. ARC wasn't working right away but a quick reboot of my soundbar fixed that so I can use just the one remote for volume instead of having to adjust volume with the soundbar's own remote.

Can't wait til it gets dark outside but I'm really loving the picture @ midday with lots of ambient light already after fiddling with the settings (gently caress u TruMotion good lord that poo poo is awful)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Amazon has the 65" B9 back in stock. Probably a mistake to order this and pray it gets delivered intact?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Prime Day is in no way similar to Black Friday as far as deals go. It appears to be when they discount all the crap that hasn't sold so they can clear space for stuff people want. I'd be surprised to see any deals on OLEDs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

Prime Day is in no way similar to Black Friday as far as deals go. It appears to be when they discount all the crap that hasn't sold so they can clear space for stuff people want. I'd be surprised to see any deals on OLEDs.

Yeah, it's really just a way to do deep discounts on Amazon products and throw up a bunch of random crap that never sells.

The real benefit of Prime day is that Target and Best Buy are doing competing sales on stuff you might actually want to buy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I worked customer service for Amazon in another lifetime - 1998-2001. Long before they ever thought of the idea of prime - there was an internal sale open to employees only called "Get the CRAP out" with CRAP standing for "Can't Realize A Profit." I'm sure that's more or less what Prime day is to this day, with some other things added to entice you to spend.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look for deals from other vendors around that time but I'm guessing I'll have to wait until BF for anything decent.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I would love to read this as well - aside from a bit of Red Dead I only plan to use this for watching hella movies.

May have been this, I can't quite remember. They also do a comparison here.

From what you say, as long as you don't want to go 77 inch, it may be the Sony is the right choice for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

May have been this, I can't quite remember. They also do a comparison here.

From what you say, as long as you don't want to go 77 inch, it may be the Sony is the right choice for you.
Lol, tom's guide isn't what it used to be. Definitely interesting but I'll try to find something else that corroborates that before pulling the trigger.