Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Power management will probably get nerfed on imperial side because it is OP as gently caress.

OTOH, as rebels, shiels overcharge decays extremely slowly. So as soon as you spawn, you can put power to shields and increase your effective hp a huge amount for no downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The campaign won't fully prepare you for MP but the story is fine with an amusing role-reversal between the Empire and New Republic with good characters and some neat pieces of lore to glean if you're into that. As it was said before, Grace being from the Sienar family was a cool bit. It's also cool to see a non-binary rep in Keo. I've already been seeing fanart of them pop up and it's heartwarming to see fans happy to be represented.

I also appreciate that the campaign walks the line of making the Imperials relatable but also having them be in the wrong. Grey is the most sympathetic, but even he's just "well I'm too committed, no turning back now." Sol being there clearly just the political clout was a neat bit of characterization and shows how even the Emperor's supporters got hosed over by him. Also the later parts of the campaign is basically the Imperials committing war crimes so really no question on who the bad guys are.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

dialhforhero posted:

Power management will probably get nerfed on imperial side because it is OP as gently caress.

I don't know, to me it seems like a fair trade for having no shields. Anecdotally I think rebel players might be using shields as a crutch and neglecting their boost and weapons. It is sort of understandable because it's early days and people are still getting to grips with the power shifting, which is harder with 3 capacitors to manage vs 2. Regenerating/directional health is amazing in theory, I think maybe it will take a bit more time for the playerbase to handle the multitasking though.

I think TIEs are easier to get rolling with as the workload is lower and it's mechanically impossible to zero-sum turtle-up, which is a trap rebels fall into. It's maybe too soon to see where nerfs/buffs are needed, imo, but we'll see.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah shifting is crucial for Rebels and getting in a good flow of attacking, recharging, and then attacking again makes them incredibly dangerous. Shifting shield directions has also saved my rear end a bunch of times, especially against capital ships.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

PunkBoy posted:

Also the later parts of the campaign is basically the Imperials committing war crimes so really no question on who the bad guys are.

yeah I know It's Video Games but I was really uncomfortable with "go and shoot down ships full of helpless injured refugees"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It absolutely is too early, but I am sure a crying playerbase can change things.

Are there people already crying about the amount of diversity in this game? Especially on the imperial side? I can totally see some chuds pissed that there are non-white (and to an extent: male) people who are imperials because THAT ISN'T CANON!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

dialhforhero posted:

It absolutely is too early, but I am sure a crying playerbase can change things.

Are there people already crying about the amount of diversity in this game? Especially on the imperial side? I can totally see some chuds pissed that there are non-white (and to an extent: male) people who are imperials because THAT ISN'T CANON!

Don't look at Reddit.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

Lmao yes. Would you like to "save white male characters from extinction?"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Some chuds cried about Keo, but thankfully they've mostly been ignored from what I've seen.

Edit: Welp, just saw the post above me and lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tommy the Newt posted:

Did they not figure out how to customize ships because they were vibrating with rage at all the different aliens in a space ship shooting game?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Speaking of customization, I absolutely slapped the Ewok decals on my X-Wing as soon as I could

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It's funny, this game is almost the complete opposite of what I expected - I expected a short, extremely simplified singleplayer that would act as a basic tutorial with a bunch of simple dogfights, and alot of different multiplayer modes and variety.

Instead I got a single player with a full story, a reasonable length (especially at the low price product), amd amazing production values and visuals.

The multiplayer on the other hand only has only two modes: Team Deathmatch and a single objective based mode. Not that I'm complaining since the variety of systems at play keep it engaging.

I also expected to not care for the multiplayer much, and instead spend my time in the single player. But Steam stats are telling me I've put 20 hours into this game already, and I'm only up to mission 5 in the campaign since I've been playing online every night.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol, he's complaining about going space extinct. dont worry. i got your back. my imp is a white male. it just seemed a fitting look for The Cause, iykwim.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Bleck posted:

every fleet battle now is just "we put you on the rebels because nobody wants to play on the rebels and also your team is down two fighters because nobody wants to play on the rebels"

guess it's dogfighting for me until this fix this

The other players can't pick factions in fleet battles either...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it gave me the white lady as the default Imperial and she is so evil-looking that I kept her, almost feel bad for whoever the model was IRL

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bleck posted:

every fleet battle now is just "we put you on the rebels because nobody wants to play on the rebels and also your team is down two fighters because nobody wants to play on the rebels"

guess it's dogfighting for me until this fix this

I've been Imperial for probably 80% of my fights which blows because I don't like them. Idk why it is so unbalanced one way or the other.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Isometric Bacon posted:

Don't look at Reddit.

Never go on reddit.

https://youtu.be/DOqb_UzJSUQ

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

As a reminder, :pedo:, :reddit:, and :pedophiles: were all inspired by that site.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

As a non-binary person, the options make me genuinely joyfull, but also the butthurtness is so entertaining.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been pleasantly surprised with the subreddit for this, its a lot less whiny and pretty supportive of the choices for character for... yknow, reddit. Even the steam forums are mostly about technical stuff. I mean Imperial troopers haven't been canonically clones for a while.

As for other sites, idk, impaboos mad lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Black Griffon posted:

As a non-binary person, the options make me genuinely joyfull, but also the butthurtness is so entertaining.

on the one hand representation is super rad and I'm pleased as hell about it, on the other hand it's weird that they specifically put the gay one on the nazi team

Comrayn posted:

The other players can't pick factions in fleet battles either...

I mean I sometimes (often) get autofilled into existing games

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean Imperial troopers haven't been canonically clones for a while.

and the clones are, like, canonically not white

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

The 'you can't have a capital ship' made me laugh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

glad to see you made it into space of duty my friend!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Hell yeah friend. Time to drink exactly one beer and get killed repeatedly as I desperately search for the button that turns x-wing blasters from alternating to concurrent fire.

Bleck posted:

on the one hand representation is super rad and I'm pleased as hell about it, on the other hand it's weird that they specifically put the gay one on the nazi team

Yeah, I often have mixed feelings about stuff like this, but in a fantasy setting, I think it's fine for queers to be represented in general, even if the Empire is a very blatant Reich analogy. Also, I'm so happy whenever character customization is completely free from gendered limitations, like it is in this game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I honestly don’t know how anyone actually sits through talking to all of the other pilots in between story missions; it’s the lamest style of video game writing where they just monologue their backstory and some minor exposition at you like you’re a mute in a bad Ubisoft game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bleck posted:

It isn’t so weird when you consider grand Moff Tarkin :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone explain to me the difference between switching power from engine to weapons, vs overcharging engine to weapons in a Tie is? And how i't supposed to be used?

You have three buckets and a stream of juice flowing into them. The buckets all have holes in the bottom, so the juice leaks out.

Power management is controlling where that stream goes. If you fill a bucket and then switch the stream to another, that bucket will drain but stay pretty full for a while.

The TIEs can, in addition to controlling the constant flow of juice, dump the juice already collected in one bucket straight into another.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I've been wondering why I've found this game so drat hard... after all, I used to play X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc. back in the day.

I'm 2/3 through the campaign, and I didn't notice but I had set it to ACE difficulty. That being said, I've gotten really drat good at getting through missions without dying more than once or twice.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the most salient reason to root for the empire is if the empire had won in ROTJ then we wouldn't have had to have the NT.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone had luck getting Saitek Pro rudder pedals to work? It'll only bind to one degree of rotation and that'll just send my craft spinning in circles. Doing rudder with the brakes is hell.

BTW fixed this by disconnecting the HOTAS and then configuring the rudder.

Anyone have opinions on joystick sensitivity settings? (Saitek Pro rudders and Warthog HOTAS for reference)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

the most salient reason to root for the empire is if the empire had won in ROTJ then we wouldn't have had to have the NT.

:hmmyes:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bleck posted:

Conflicted. On the one hand I don't like diversifying the team that's the bad guys because they are nazis. On the other hand, it's 2020. If you make a game with an unambiguous white-male-supremist side then there will be plenty of people who unironically think it's cool and for them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. The bomber w/ rotary cannon and reinforced hull is so stupid. So many people will try and charge you with a head-on attack, it's a free kill basically. I suspect we were playing against some really inexperienced pilots, but just had a match where we won 30-5 as the imperials on Yavin. They eventually sorta learned to not charge directly at me and face the onslaught. The bomber setup like that has gently caress all for turning, so you just gotta boost out and drift turn. The plus side of low maneuverability is it's pretty easy to not overshoot a target in a turn. I do think the rotary cannon could use a slight nerf. Like just increase ammo consumption slightly.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

The semi-fun twist was one of the New Republic fighters, she was from the Sienar family. Also, seeing a bunch of names pop up in the random name generator (Ace Azzameen, Keyan Farlander, et al) was nice to see. I’ve been treating it as an extended tutorial for the multiplayer though, it’s a nice place to test remapped key bindings.

Vonreg is also an easter egg, as she's presumably related to the dude of the same name in Resistance. (This message has been brought to you by the X-Wing miniatures game.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Madurai posted:

Vonreg is also an easter egg, as she's presumably related to the dude of the same name in Resistance. (This message has been brought to you by the X-Wing miniatures game.)

I saw that too, and appreciated it :)

FIRST ORDER/RESISTANCE EXPANSION WHEN

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

as I desperately search for the button that turns x-wing blasters from alternating to concurrent fire.

you...are gonna need more than one beer

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Conflicted. On the one hand I don't like diversifying the team that's the bad guys because they are nazis. On the other hand, it's 2020. If you make a game with an unambiguous white-male-supremist side then there will be plenty of people who unironically think it's cool and for them.

Hmm, good point.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Had a conversation about this with some other LGBT friends the other day and we came to the conclusion that we were ultimately okay with it for two reasons.

Grey isn’t evil for being gay, he’s evil for being an idiot cog in a fascist machine with sunk cost fallacy motivations.

It makes low level LGBT acceptance the bare loving minimum in the setting even for the rear end in a top hat fascists who gleefully blow up planets. I’ll take that over overt -phobia.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Bleck posted:

I mean, there's no reason fictional space nazis should be discriminatory and evil in the same social terms as IRL nazis, and arguably if they aren't it highlights how dumb and arbitrary prejudice is. I sort of interpreted it like that, plus not giving IRL Nazis a 'safe haven' to roleplay in is OK by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm always a fan of stories which treat humanity as the enemy in a fantasy/sci-fi setting, and that's a large part of what makes the Empire the Empire in a lot of SW fiction. While they murder billions of humans, they also have a very clear and obvious ethos of human supremacy (yes I am ignoring EU and treating TRoS as canon, in the sense that Snoke was a puppet of Palpatine). In such cases, one might as well show all of humanity as monsters. It's not like the parts of the empire analogous to the third reich ever extended to sexual orientation and gender (and in saying this I'm considering the whiteness of the original series as a sign of the times which impacted both factions, not just the empire).

Edit: oh hey what you two above me said.

Statutory Ape posted:

you...are gonna need more than one beer

One day...

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 5, 2020